Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 2019/2020 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Naggdefy wrote: »
    Yes. Record touching possibly in high summer. Even mid 20s in September and 23C or so in April.

Generally cold weather hits at sometime and April days in single figures are a pain.

Hopefully June 2020 won't end up like this. We barely broke double digits for the first half of June earlier in the year, it felt much colder than it does right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭alentejo

I suspect winter will commence on the 1st of March

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Artane2002

I'm counting on March to deliver the goods because I have absolutely no hope of any snow this winter, not saying we won't get any though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,069 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Was it a few years ago there was a theory discussed on here that these warm draws of air you often get in this part of the northern hemisphere displaces the cold air in the arctic and perhaps disrupts the polar vortex down the line?
    If true it might be just short term pain for long term gain??.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,824 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Low diurnal range today here near Tralee in the steady Southerly cloudy and damp airflow.

High 12.9C / Low 11.7C / 12.1C atm

NASA Sat Pic from earlier today.

kyAYfuI.png?1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭catrat12

Just put out the bin there
    Feeling very mild for end of December especially for the Dublin mountains was in a tee shirt

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭esposito

Artane2002 wrote: »
    I'm counting on March to deliver the goods because I have absolutely no hope of any snow this winter, not saying we won't get any though.

Odds wise I’d offer something like this as regards a cold spell. Just for fun.(And no, I’m not a bookie!)

1st - 15th Jan: 100/1

16th - 30th Jan: 33/1

31st - 14th Feb: 8/1

15th - 29th Feb: 13/2

1st - 15th Mar: 5/2

16th - 30th Mar: evens:pac:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,824 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

esposito wrote: »
    Odds wise I’d offer something like this as regards a cold spell. Just for fun.(And no, I’m not a bookie!)

1st - 15th Jan: 100/1

16th - 30th Jan: 33/1

31st - 14th Feb: 8/1

15th - 29th Feb: 13/2

1st - 15th Mar: 5/2

16th - 30th Mar: evens:pac:

I will have 33 ponies on the 16th to the 30th, great odds :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭esposito

I will have 33 ponies on the 16th to the 30th, great odds :D

Feeling generous at this time of year :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,636 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

alentejo wrote: »
    I suspect winter will commence on the 1st of March

The PV always breaks down at some stage - what we don't want is a re-run of last year with stupid warmth all winter leading to a cold chilly May/June:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Made me shiver just reading that! Bitter cold here and a wild icy wind that would flay the skin off your face.... It was mild here yesterday too but that has changed very fast. Back to hot water bottles and put the blanket back on the bed
    :rolleyes:
    West Mayo offshore

catrat12 wrote: »
    Just put out the bin there
    Feeling very mild for end of December especially for the Dublin mountains was in a tee shirt

• Registered Users Posts: 10,066 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Graces7 wrote: »
    Made me shiver just reading that! Bitter cold here and a wild icy wind that would flay the skin off your face.... It was mild here yesterday too but that has changed very fast. Back to hot water bottles and put the blanket back on the bed
    :rolleyes:
    West Mayo offshore

6am reports most stations at 10 or 11 degrees. Hardly a wild icy wind in all fairness.....

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

6am reports most stations at 10 or 11 degrees. Hardly a wild icy wind in all fairness.....

Come out here and say that .. I mean it. That wind has a bite like ice and is wild. Can barely get out of the door here.

So I repeat... Wild icy wind …

West Maaaaaaayo offshore

Be blessed and at peace. Signing out. End of discussion. Here for email always.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

9.3c and no wind here at the moment. It seems a mild new Year is in the offing,

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Fairly cloudy and breezy but dry and mild morning here in meath, just getting the bike out for a spin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

Don’t know what the temp is but feels very mild in Dublin.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Don’t know what the temp is but feels very mild in Dublin.

13.0c atm in Dublin 16.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭appledrop

Haven't ventured out yet today as enjoying the longer sleeps over Christmas but couldnt believe how mild it was in Dublin yesterday.

It was great to be out in it for most of the day.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Feeling very mild this morning in Dublin 16. 13.7c now. Must be getting some sort of fohn effect with proximity to Dublin Mountains. Dry air too. RH of 48% atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Goldfinch8

A slight reprieve this morning in mid Mayo from our life under the damp grey conveyor belt of the past few days. A few faint patches of blue and higher level cloud at the moment with a few con trails on view. The sun is struggling to make an impact through the cloud but it is welcome to see after the recent miserable conditions. Don't have much trust in it lasting however as life next to a meandering Atlantic front means that the rain and drizzle is never too far away. Time to take advantage and get a post Christmas ramble in.
    10c and breezy also.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

9.3c and no wind here at the moment. It seems a mild new Year is in the offing,

the next 2 weeks will certainly be mild most of the time with low to mid teens at times, a few cooler days here and there. There are hints that the final 2 weeks of January may bring in some much needed high pressure but that's along way off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Much the same here, grey drizzly muck and low visibility for the past couple of days, finally seems to be clearing this morning

Birdnuts wrote: »
    The PV always breaks down at some stage - what we don't want is a re-run of last year with stupid warmth all winter leading to a cold chilly May/June:(

That frustratingly seems to have been the theme of the past decade, very little cold weather during our winters but once March comes around any sign of warmth disappears and we end up with a 5 or 6 month long winter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Gonzo wrote: »
    the next 2 weeks will certainly be mild most of the time with low to mid teens at times, a few cooler days here and there. There are hints that the final 2 weeks of January may bring in some much needed high pressure but that's along way off.

I'd put money on January beginning a degree or two above the norm with overnight temperatures only dropped close to freezing toward the last week. And predominately dry until the end of January.

I'd put money on January beginning a degree or two above the norm with overnight temperatures only dropped close to freezing toward the last week. And predominately dry until the end of January.

the dryness is certainly something we can benefit from with 4 months worth of deluges to dry out! I'm still hopeful for proper cold showing up in February, fingers crossed. Even if it's just for 2 or 3 days.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Very mild in Galway since yesterday. And thankfully its dry today. Great walking weather.
    11C according to the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,117 ✭✭✭pad199207

Gonzo wrote: »
    yep very little snow anywhere in Europe over the next week or two. Best chance of seeing some wintryness over the next 2 weeks would appear to be in Greece or Turkey yet again. Scandinavia and eastern Europe may start to cool down mid January, while remaining mild over western Europe.

My Palm Trees are loving it!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Derekon2009

I see MT (under his other name Roger J Smith) on UK Netweather, is forecasting a Central England Temperature average of 7.4oC for January 2020 - if that materialises, it would be the warmest January on record, after 1916.

So for Irish snow and cold lovers, it looks like the veritable horror show that is winter 19/20 will continue unabated...........

D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Played a round of golf today. Great to be out of the house after Christmas.

Whatever about people being disappointed by the absence of cold weather, it was a real pleasure to be out on the fairways in 12c with dry but blustery conditions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

I dont understand What's horrible about being able to go out,about and do things
    Snow and freeze is not our climate,never was never will be
    If you long for that, head to the artic but you'll find yourself coming home soon enough when you get fed up not having what you take for granted at home
    If you just want snow every few weeks, without sacrificing your home comforts,head for high ground ,rent a cottage up above 300 metres near a mountain ,there are a few.Sorted

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,513 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Comhra wrote: »
    Played a round of golf today. Great to be out of the house after Christmas.

Whatever about people being disappointed by the absence of cold weather, it was a real pleasure to be out on the fairways in 12c with dry but blustery conditions.

I'm just happy it's dry. Could care less about snow or cold at the moment.

Advertisement