Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spiral out - keep going

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Treviso

Good week this week as I managed to complete the full training plan week. Delighted to be back into the swing of things. The difference in pacing from the P&D plodding is a welcome change too

Monday 18th - 5 miles easy 8.28avg

Nice conditions for this run on the grass - didn't need to wear the spikes at all. I've done my easy runs a bit too fast this week so will change that next week. Reduced the miles from 7 to 5 miles for this

Tuesday 19th - 5m easy + 2m @7min

Something different and again my easy miles were way too fast, which meant the last 2 miles were probably tougher than they should have been. Really enjoyed it though, compared to an all easy GA run

Thursday 21st - 4 miles easy

Really muddy conditions on grass - lashed from start to finish. Reduced the miles from 6 to 4 miles for this one.

Friday 22nd - 9m, 7m tempo - 5@7.30, 2@7.25

Had my eye on this run all week, looked so tough on paper. Had to think back on the LT runs I did for DCM, which peaked at 7 miles @7.15. So I was able to do this run and so it proved. Found it tough to settle into the tempo pace for the first 2 miles but managed to eventually. Last mile was testing but felt I could've increased the pace if needed. Tempo miles were

7.25, 7.30, 7.35, 7.30, 7.22, 7.20, 7.16

Was happy with the run, with no ill effects with the body afterwards.

Sunday 24th - 11m, 9m@8.15, 2@7.50

With a rest day yesterday, I was well prepared for this run. The increased pace for the 11m was slightly concerning but took confidence from the Thursday session. Running at 8.15 pace was comfortable enough, albeit with a few moments where my legs were feeling it. Felt really comfortable for the whole 11m to be honest. Strangely, I felt more like a proper runner running at that pace rather than the plodding around for DCM training. I know that doesn't make sense, but I think my running form is better and more natural running at that pace - more bounce to it. Saying that, I do appreciate the easy/recovery running days and look forward to them as well

Weekly mileage - 36
    Yearly mileage - 1492

With that week, I lost 1 V02 Max point and my Garmin status is at Overreaching. But I feel like it was a great week with no ill effects. As I said, will do the easy runs a bit easier next week and be glad of them as there's plenty of meaty sessions coming up.

Road to Dungarvan week 2

I've really enjoyed the week's running so far, so much so that I decided to update the training log a bit earlier than normal.

Monday 25th - 5m easy @9.36avg

Reduced from 6m to 5m. Muddy conditions on the UCC farm but I didn't feel any ill effects from the run the day before.

Tuesday 26th - 9m speed. 5x1mile @7min/mile w 800m recoveries @8min/mile

Holy sh*t, toughest session I've ever done. I didn't think it would be so hard beforehand as 7min/mile pace would be my planned LT/tempo pace. I did 4 miles at that pace before DCM. Did a 1 mile warmup and started on the 1 mile reps. First 2 went ok but could feel that I wasn't really recovering properly going at 8min/mile pace.

Was puffing and panting after the 3rd 7min mile, so much that I seriously doubted that I could do the last 2. I decided to slow the recovery pace to 8.30 pace and immediately felt the benefit. My legs felt they were finally recovering and I was able to catch my breath a bit more. It was still an effort to finish out the last 2 but was able to do so by digging quite deep.

I must say I was super happy with myself finishing this run, even with the slower recovery times. This type of running is definitely my weakest area so I'm glad to work on it as much as I can

Thursday 28th - 7m easy @9.25avg

After a well deserved rest day, a longer than normal easy run on grass. Took the pace by feel and it did feel easy. The conditions were muddy again - makes me think of doing a bit of cross country in the near future. Am seriously thinking of joining a club so this would present me with the chances to do this.

Friday 29th - 6m speed 10x400m @5.52min/mile(88s) with 55sec recoveries

Today was another challenging run but I was fairly confident going into it. These kind of short distance paces suit me, and I do recover quite quickly. Was advised to walk the recoveries as 55 seconds was quite a short recovery time, and I'm so glad I did. Found it hard to get the 5.52 pace steady, started off the first few reps way too fast and had to adjust the remainder to get my target.

By the 4th and 5th rep I was starting to feel it, my legs were getting heavier and breath was getting worse and worse. I did still feel I could do the remainder, as oppose to the run on Tuesday. Each rep I found it more difficult to find and maintain the pace till the end, and I was gasping for air after each one. 55 seconds for recovery always gone in a split second! Times for my reps look good though

Again was very happy with how it went and it has me thinking of how to approach the Togher 5k end of next month. I'm not sure if 400s are a good reflection of 5k pace so interested to hear of others advice on what to go for. In my head, I'm thinking of going out at 6min/mile pace and see what happens - I've never went out fast before so would be nervous to do so

Last run this week is on Sunday - 10.5m at 8.05 pace

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Lambay island

Fair play you are really putting in the work..
    I'm no expert but regarding your 5k next month you may better going off at 6.10 pace for first 2 miles and then emptying the tank from then on if you can.
    I think you are almost identical pace to me and i went off too fast last week in a 5k. I was able adjust pace and felt i wasnt a million miles away of been able to do 6 min pace for 2 miles anyway.

Fair play you are really putting in the work..
    I'm no expert but regarding your 5k next month you may better going off at 6.10 pace for first 2 miles and then emptying the tank from then on if you can.
    I think you are almost identical pace to me and i went off too fast last week in a 5k. I was able adjust pace and felt i wasnt a million miles away of been able to do 6 min pace for 2 miles anyway.

Yea it's probably good advice to go off at 6.10 alright for the 1st 2 miles, thinking about it a bit more. I've read other logs where their 5k strategy is to go out a bit faster and try to hold on, something I've never tried. Would probably try it once and never again (doesnt sound like a good race experience)

I've been following your log too and it seems we're around the same pace. When is your next race? Are you following a specific plan?

Treviso wrote: »
    Yea it's probably good advice to go off at 6.10 alright for the 1st 2 miles, thinking about it a bit more. I've read other logs where their 5k strategy is to go out a bit faster and try to hold on, something I've never tried. Would probably try it once and never again (doesnt sound like a good race experience)

I've been following your log too and it seems we're around the same pace. When is your next race? Are you following a specific plan?

Not fully following a plan at min. Im kinda doing a hybrid of grads plan and my own stuff at the min with minimum of 35 miles a week.Im racing jingle bells 5k next week hoping to dip under 19 trying the above strategy.

• Advertisement

Sunday 1st - 10.5m @8.04

Ideal weather for this run this morning. Found the 8.04min/mile pace quite comfortable once I got into it. Could feel the calves a bit after the 400s on Friday but wasn't too worried about them. Walkways around Blackrock were quite crowded and had loads of debris washed up onto them from the high tides last week. So there was quite a lot of zigzagging going on for a lot of that part. Good finish to the week though

Weekly mileage - 37.5m
    Year to date - 1530m

42 miles planned for next week with three interesting runs. I'm liking the varied runs I must say

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Sunday 1st - 1.5m @8.04

Ideal weather for this run this morning. Found the 8.04min/mile pace quite comfortable once I got into it. Could feel the calves a bit after the 400s on Friday but wasn't too worried about them. Walkways around Blackrock were quite crowded and had loads of debris washed up onto them from the high tides last week. So there was quite a lot of zigzagging going on for a lot of that part. Good finish to the week though

Think you did more than 1.5m yesterday :)

ReeReeG wrote: »
    Think you did more than 1.5m yesterday :)

Thanks for that - fixed it now. Would have been the longest 1.5m run ever!!

Road to Dungarvan Week 3

Monday 2nd - 7m easy, 9.18avg

From what i can remember, my legs were feeling it from the previous days run so this was a good stretch of the legs. I must admit I am finding the 7m of easy running quite long and boring. Might need to switch up the route for a change of scenery

Tuesday 3rd - 8m Speed, 2x 3 mile progression (7.40,7.30,7.25) w 2min recovery

Was looking forward to this one. Had a bit of a brainfart moment during the first progress mile - thought the gps was acting up as pace was going up but turned out I was looking at the timer instead of pace :rolleyes: So I ran that mile by feel and it was way too fast (7.09). Calmed myself down for the rest of that rep and took a walking recovery to make up for that fast 1st mile. 7.09, 7.25, 7.25

2nd set was a lot better, 7.40 seemed like such an easy pace, still too fast on the last mile though. 7.36, 7.31, 7.11

Thursday 5th - 9m 3 x 2miles @7.10 (400m/3min recovery)

This seemed harder on paper than Tuesdays run but turned out to be easier for me. Was easy enough to hit the 7.10 paces. To hit the 12min/mile pace during recovery, I needed to walk for half of it - no way I could run slow enough! reps were:
    7.06, 7.07
    7.00, 7.17
    6.58, 7.03
    2nd set were into the wind so was working harder for them. 1st and 3rd with the wind

Friday 6th - 5m easy, 9.26avg

Had the work Christmas party the previous night and had a lash of pints at it. Even though I was home early from it, I had a wicked hangover that morning - can't handle them anymore. These were the hardest miles all week, kept telling myself I would feel better after it, sweat the alcohol out of me etc. That never happened btw

Sunday 8th - 11m 10m@7.45, 1@7.30

This run nearly matched my longest marathon paced run from DCM training, 11 miles instead of 12m, but at similar paces. Differences this time were

- Had two challenging sessions already this week
    - No gels
    - More challenging route
    - Felt much more comfortable for this run

I think loads of people were out early this morning to avoid the bad weather that was forecasted. There were times when the wind picked up, but not as bad as predicted. I was so happy with how this went and how I was able to maintain the 7.45 pace. Its nice to be going at that pace, passing loads of people and feeling comfortable while doing it. Brought back to earth when loads of elite runners started to pass me out, going at some pace. Don't know how they do it.
    Miles were 7.38,.37,.43,.46,.47,.48,.31,.46,.39,.39,.16

Weekly mileage - 40
    Year to date - 1570

Feeling like this was a great weeks training, no real ill effects from it at all thankfully. First set of hill sprints ever tomorrow, so excited! Feel like my goal of sub 70 for Dungarvan is within reach already, with 2 more months of training to go. Will see how that goes before deciding what the strategy will be.

Before then, I have the Togher 5k to come end of December and will also run the ESB XC 5k the week after to get a taste of XC racing. Have also entered the Mallow 10m again in March. Will look to race a lot more this year than last. Need to do a 10k and other distances too, to expand the number of PBs to aim for!!

Road to Dungarvan Week 4

Monday 9th - 5m Hill sprints 12x35secs

My first time doing hill sprints and was looking forward to them. Was told by the OH of an ideal hill close to home so first time in ages I could run from the house. The first couple of sprints felt good but started to feel it then. Recoveries were taking longer for each one but happy how they went. Averaged pace of 6min/mile for the sprints while recoveries went from 1.30mins to 2.50 (maybe I should fix these in future). My quads and glutes began to burn quite soon after the run and DOMs began later that evening!

Tuesday 10th - 7m easy - 9.07avg

My glutes were killing me after the hill sprints and the weather was atrocious. I decided to run in Ballincollig for a change of scenery and it worked a treat. Soaked from start to finish but it went by ok. Decided to take a rest the following day to allow my glutes to recover - felt like I've been waddling like a duck when I walked

Thursday 12th - 9m tempo 6@7.20,1@7.15

This one equals my longest LT run from DCM training and shows the progression I'm making. Although for the first 2 miles, my legs felt heavy but I put this down to the DOMs from Monday. Once my legs settled into the pace, the rest of the miles felt ok. Miles were
    7.17, 7.18, 7.19, 7.14, 7.17, 7.18, 7.02
    3rd fastest ever 10k ran (45.23) after Charleville HM & a 6m LT run for DCM. Felt I had more in the tank too.

Friday 13th - 7m easy, 9.00avg

Ran in the UCC farm and was roped into running with 2 other regulars who I always see out there. Just so happened that we all started at the same time. It actually was great though as they made the first 5m go really fast before they finished. Only thing is they were keeping up a pace of 8.45 so faster than it should have been.

Sunday 15th - 13m 9m@8.10, 3m@7.55

Caught a bit of a bug on the Saturday so was unsure if I would be able to do this run. After a good nights sleep, I decided to see how it went. Compared to last weekends run, this one seemed a lot easier on paper but didn't feel that way. Guess I was feeling the effects of the sickness. In saying that, I was able to keep to the paces needed. Must admit the last 3 miles at 7.55 were a struggle to maintain. Didn't help when the weather suddenly changed for the last 2 miles with the coldest sleet falling on me and the wind increasing straight into my face.
    Miles were
    8.10, 8.07, 8.04, 8.11, 8.02, 8.01, 8.09, 7.58, 8.05, 7.50, 7.46, 7.38 (last one was me trying to get back to the car as fast as I could!)

Weekly mileage - 41
    Year to date - 1611

Running has definitely gone up a notch since DCM. Training has been intense but enjoyable. Looks like it will continue to increase but looking forward to the challenge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Nothing prepared me for those hill sprints:eek: weird kind of enjoyable though :D

Nothing prepared me for those hill sprints:eek: weird kind of enjoyable though :D

I did warn you on Strava! Hopefully the DOMs won't be as bad the next time I do them (I checked and it's in 3 weeks time :D) I know what you mean though, even though they were painful afterwards, they were enjoyable. Felt like I did a meaningful run

I did warn you on Strava! Hopefully the DOMs won't be as bad the next time I do them (I checked and it's in 3 weeks time :D) I know what you mean though, even though they were painful afterwards, they were enjoyable. Felt like I did a meaningful run

In fairness your warning was a very soft warning ;) I think i only have them twice again before my half !! Yes i felt the same afterwards too :D

Road to Dungarvan Week 5

Tuesday 17th - 7m, 5m progression (7.30,7.25,7.20,7.10,7.00)

Conditions were very icy so I was very cautious with my footing for the first warmup mile. In a way, the ice made me focus more on being light on my feet and spring from the ball of my foot. Pacing for the miles were ok, did start to feel the last 2 with a bigger jump in pace and running into the wind but hit the paces
    7.30, 7.22, 7.22, 7.06, 6.56

Wednesday 18th - 8m easy, 9.10

Absolutely lashing with wind and rain and really cold for the whole run but I loved it. Everywhere was deserted and I felt I was the only person in the world! It's a lovely feeling. Seem to be tipping between 9.00 and 9.20 for easy miles these days

Thursday 19th - 8m, 6m tempo @7.18

Quite a different feeling going into this run. Maybe it being so close to Tuesday's progress run, I didn't feel as good going into this one. Decided to run a slightly different route for this just to keep the motivation up. Had the wind with me for first 2 miles and against for the next 2. Made me work extra for those 2 but I was able to recover while maintaining pace in the 5th mile. Last half mile was tough I must admit
    3rd fastest ever 10k ran again - quite surprised with that. Wish I carried on for that extra .2 mile at the end

I've a lot of re-adjusting to do with my plan given the holiday period and running Togher 5k on the 29th Dec and ESB XC 5k the week after. I hate re-arranging runs, I feel like I'll do it wrong and miss out on the purpose of the plan!

Friday 20th - 5m easy, 9.24avg

Went running in Tramore Valley park for the first time for this run. Went ok-ish, legs were a bit fatigued from the previous day. Good to have another place to go running and it's really close by too.

Sunday 22nd - 12m 3x3miles @7.25 w 400m/3min recoveries

First of the moved runs due to Christmas and race next weekend. Decided to break the Next% (Cheaterflys) in for the second set. Got off to a bad start when I set the workout for 3 minutes instead of miles. Had to stop, edit the workout and start again.

First set was ok, kept the paces ok but effort was there. Changed shoes and straight away the difference was apparent. Honesty, even I was questioning the legality of these shoes. But it is what it is. The 2nd set felt so easy, had to check the pace a bit for them.

Change of shoes again for the third set and the Ravennas felt like they had concrete for a sole! Plus my knees felt every stride now. Got into rhythm again though and kept the paces going for the last one, although effort was quite high.

My watch is giving out mad to me, with an unproductive status. Honestly, the most challenging part of the week has been trying to come up with ideas for those bloody Elves on the Shelf!

Need to do another session on Christmas Eve and then it's all easy runs till the 5k race next Sunday. Merry Christmas to everyone here; try not to be too upset with having to spend time with family instead of running!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Great training going on here! I can't wait for the 1st of July when the Saucony cheat shoes go on sale haha.

Haha love it! I plan a very balanced Christmas half my time with family & half my time running:)

Still haven't tried my cheaterflys out...looking forward to it after your great review!

Best of luck in your race & have a lovely Christmas :D

skyblue46 wrote: »
    Great training going on here! I can't wait for the 1st of July when the Saucony cheat shoes go on sale haha.

yep, competition will help bring the price down. Everyone will be out doing their recovery runs in bright green or pink shoes then!

Haha love it! I plan a very balanced Christmas half my time with family & half my time running:)

Still haven't tried my cheaterflys out...looking forward to it after your great review!

Best of luck in your race & have a lovely Christmas :D

Have a great Christmas yourself E, hope you've been dropping loads of hints to your family to only give you running presents

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

yep, competition will help bring the price down. Everyone will be out doing their recovery runs in bright green or pink shoes then!

Or white....

https://www.slowtwitch.com/Products/Running_Footwear_by_brand/Saucony_running_shoes/Saucony_Responds_With_New_Endorphin_Line_7523.html

• Advertisement

Have a great Christmas yourself E, hope you've been dropping loads of hints to your family to only give you running presents

If by hinting you mean sending them screenshots of exactly what colour, size etc...then yes I have been ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,435 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

Congrats on an unbelievable 2019 T.

Was great source of inspiration and motivation having you and Dealerz2.0 on the same Dublin training plan. The sky truly is the limit for you in 2020 after a brilliant marathon debut.
    PBs going to be falling like bowling pins in 2020!

Congrats on an unbelievable 2019 T.

Was great source of inspiration and motivation having you and Dealerz2.0 on the same Dublin training plan. The sky truly is the limit for you in 2020 after a brilliant marathon debut.
    PBs going to be falling like bowling pins in 2020!

Thanks J, that means a lot. It was ideal having yourself and F on the same plan for Dublin, especially towards the end when all those races were meant to be done!

Congrats on a tremendous year running yourself, as I said in your log your performances this year will be my inspiration for 2020. It's just unfortunate that you'll be on another level again in 2020 :)

I hope you have some 5k and 10k races planned for next year. Merry Christmas to you and all your family

Good luck tomorrow!

Road to Dungarvan Week 6

Monday 23rd - 6m easy @9.26

Did this on grass after the spending the morning visiting Santa in Cuskinny, Cobh that morning. Nothing much to report from this one except I was glad to out in the air

Tuesday 24th, 10m 7m@7.50, 2m@7.30

This was a tough run after doing 4 sessions in a week. The times themselves should've been achievable easily enough but it was a case of struggling with fatigue. I managed to hit all the paces though so job was done and I could enjoy the 2 days rest on Christmas & Stephens day

Friday 27th - 7m easy@9.04

Felt refreshed after the 2 days rest and went around the Mahon loop for this one. nothing else of note really

Saturday 28th - 3m easy, 6x100m

"Interesting" run as it was the first time bringing my 6 & 7 year old daughters with me. It was a case of running while entertaining them. They were on their bikes while I was running easy next to them. They proceeded to fly on ahead and give out to me at how slow I was going (All your fault Mr Guappa :D ). In fairness though, it went well and gives me another option for easy runs, although next time I'll forget their bikes and see how they'll complain then :P

Sunday 29th - Togher 5k race

Chip time 18.46 PB

I'll start by saying that I've been playing/dreaming this race in my head for the whole week, ranging from running it in world record time to actually dying on the route. I really didn't know how it would play out. I knew my training had been going well so I did think sub 19 was possible but other factors had me wondering if I really could.

Did a 2 mile warmup of a lot of the course, including the finishing part. Glad I did as the finishing bend seemed to go on forever. Changed into my pink cheaterflys and jogged up to the start lineup. I'm normally a person who mostly wears black/grey/blue all the time. For some reason, I was all colourful for this race (as you as see here - https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=498691&d=1577663074 )

Mile 1
    Knew I should be up near the front for this so went into the second row. Lined up to a bunch of youngsters and I said to myself that they probably shouldn't be that close to the front. They probably thought who's the paedo in the pink shoes next to us :eek: It was a good downhill start and a sudden turn right uphill. I felt the pace was good and comfortable but a glance at the watch showed pace of 5.35min/mile. With the twists and the turns, I tried to relax a bit more and steady the pace. End of the mile saw another downhill section so the pace upped again. Quicker than what I expected but wasn't too worried

Mile 2
    First part of this mile was flat and straight (although a bit windy), then it turned left into a steady hill which seemed to go on a bit longer than I thought. Another turn and the hill persisted, pace dropped to 6.17 here. I was either hiding from the wind or had settled a bit in pace but I tried to push on from here (from looking at other runners on Strava, it seems the 2nd mile was everyone's slowest). After some weaving and overtaking, I was back motoring. Was still feeling relatively ok but started to feel it

Mile 3 and the rest
    Continued to push the pace and try to catch runners in front. First part of mile was kinda downhill so pace was up around 5.40. Tried to maintain it but really started to feel it. It didn't help that there was a big gap between me and the next runner in front. Did manage to catch and pass him on the last big turn but my legs were fading fast. Only had about a quarter of a mile left but had nothing extra to give. I was starting to be passed by others at this point but it didn't matter to me, I knew sub 19 was in the bag. Last .1 mile and I couldn't even kick for home. Finish under the clock at about 18.4x and was delighted
    5.43 for last .1

1 mile cool down. So happy and relieved to get this time. I did put myself under pressure to get this beforehand so was nervous leading up to it. Progress, if any, from now on will be a lot smaller so I need to ensure I give myself realistic times for the next one. Don't want to sell myself short either so it'll be a challenge to figure this out. BTW the running calculator has a 18.46 5k equating to a 3 hour marathon - hahaha as if :pac:

Weekly mileage - 33 miles
    Year to date - 1685 miles

Easy miles next couple of days and then 1 session. Then I'll probably do another 5k race next Sunday, this time a XC where the focus will be on enjoying the new experience!

Haha love the race report, especially the line up part ;)

Well done on a brilliant race & PB :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,435 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

Congrats T on a brilliant race and super PB, especially at this time of year.

Ya might laugh at that predicted marathon time now but I have a feeling your next few races are going to keep giving that landmark time......

Anyways I'm sure that's a great confidence boost heading into the new year!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Super running T. It's great to see you kicking on since DCM.

I'm not sure what your thinking is now for Dungarvan, but sub 70 is definitely selling yourself short.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Great work there T, always nice to get a PB this time of year!

Advertisement