Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neil Francis and clearing out "Dead Wood".

Options
  • 19-12-2019 8:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭

Neil Francis is like Irelands own (poor man's) Jeremy Clarkson. Is it indicative of the general lack of any knowledge of rugby in the population that he is perpetually let away with the rubbish he puts out for the Indo ? His piece today is an encapsulation of his trademark guff.. Abuse and criticism for non Leinster players and especially players who play for Ireland who are originally from South Africa etc. These naturalised players are of course worse creatures if they play for an Irish team other than Leinster. Then he calls for a plethora of Leinster players, including some with zero topclass rugby experience to be called up to Ireland at the expense of players from other Provences.
    Never any call for the removal of Leinster players who are past it and that should have been droped years ago like Kearney, who is finally getting the door years after been past it. Leinster are a great team and of course have the massive advantage of a huge population and access to big sponsorship money but they are still not capable of making up an Irish 15 without input from other Provences. This seems to be lost on Neil who is about as good as a journalist as he was a player. A few rugby writers in national media who are not just Leinster fans making a case for their local players but instead are offering proper analysis would be most welcome.

Comments

Is he standing down himself?

Noble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

All I can say is at least Franno knows what a paragraph is :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Stonyjim

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    All I can say is at least Franno knows what a paragraph is :-)

Who are you ? The ****ing ghost of Aengus Fanning ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭MarinersBlues

He is literally stealing a living.
    He spent 10 minutes on the last word recently "analysing" Connacht vs Montpellier, using that match of an example of why Blade isn't in the running for a spot in the Irish squad. To wrap up he admitted he hadn't watched the game.

He had 2 full days to watch a recording of it.
    He is a theif.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Drifter50

Stonyjim wrote: »
    Neil Francis is like Irelands own (poor man's) Jeremy Clarkson. Is it indicative of the general lack of any knowledge of rugby in the population that he is perpetually let away with the rubbish he puts out for the Indo ? His piece today is an encapsulation of his trademark guff.. Abuse and criticism for non Leinster players and especially players who play for Ireland who are originally from South Africa etc. These naturalised players are of course worse creatures if they play for a Irish team other than Leinster. Then call for a plethora of Leinster players some of which have zero topclass experience to be called up to Ireland at the expense of players from other Provences. Never any call for the removal of Leinster players who are past it and that should have been droped years ago like Kearney , who is finally getting the door years after been past it. Leinster are a great team and of course have the massive advantage of population and money but they are still not capable of making up an Irish 15. This seems to be lost on Neil who is about as good as a journalist as he was a player. A few rugby writers in national media who are not Leinster fans making a case for their players rather than offering proper analysis would be most welcome.

Ah that`s a tad harsh. He does provide an alternative slant on things which is may be not to everyone`s liking but if journalism was full of Yes men who were happy to take whatever was told to them in press briefings and regurgutate it for their particular broadsheet / red top / magazine / digital media then life would be boring in the extreme.
    Gerry Thornley can be a bit unpalatable too but hey it makes the general coverage more interesting

• Advertisement

Who are you ? The ****ing ghost of Aengus Fanning ?

I’m ROB KEARNEY

Who are you?

He spent 10 minutes on the last word recently "analysing" Connacht vs Montpellier, using that match of an example of why Blade isn't in the running for a spot in the Irish squad. To wrap up he admitted he hadn't watched the game.

He is a theif.

Ahh poor old Franno

Between pi**ing off NZ people and now the state of Connacht he really is having a run of it

He is paid to get clicks, same as the Jones lad in Wales, he gets clicks and lots of them. He advertisers love that

To me, Let him off....I was standing in queue at shop this morning and just seen the Indo and it was on front page, I had a little chuckle and actually was interested in reading it but feck paying money for that paper

Haah

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭Granny15

Neil Francis evokes a hatred of supporters most of them key board warriors who don’t agree with his analysis. He is a rugby man and knows the game and what he is talking about. He sometimes gets it wrong (every journalist does) but the abuse he gets is unwarranted by people who tout their own players and don’t hold themselves to the same standards of posting on rugby. Bitter little men who have never been told off by a coach in the way Franno does. He’s like a blunt head coach and I like his style

Leinster man yourself ?????
    Granny15 wrote: »
    Neil Francis evokes a hatred of supporters most of them key board warriors who don’t agree with his analysis. He is a rugby man and knows the game and what he is talking about. He sometimes gets it wrong (every journalist does) but the abuse he gets is unwarranted by people who tout their own players and don’t hold themselves to the same standards of posting on rugby. Bitter little men who have never been told off by a coach in the way Franno does. He’s like a blunt head coach and I like his style

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

Always seems to have spit going from top to bottom lip

• Advertisement

He is a theif.
    His abuse of the Project players is verging on something very nasty. Bet he won't give James Lowe the same stick as some of the other lads at the other Provences when he gets capped though.

His abuse of the Project players is verging on something very nasty. Bet he won't give James Lowe the same stick as some of the other lads at the other Provences when he gets capped though.

Not as nasty as some of the comments from regular internet posters on this site and others about players like Joe Tomane. The hatred that comes from anonymous posters towards project behavior players is plain racism and trumps anything Franno comes out with about “protectionism” of Irish players

For the crack I read the article......

He had a pop at Kelleher. He plays for Leinster

If your talking about Kleyn, he is making a fairly valid point. Copied below. We now have to compare ourselves against England as they are second best team in World. Kruis and Idjoe, can we match them?

I watched the Munster v Saracens game at the Allianz and Kleyn did have his moments - a couple of big hits - but he made 11 tackles all day and was then substituted. His unheralded second-row partner Billy Holland made 21 tackles and then the international standard was set by George Kruis who made 25 tackles, carried the ball all day long, cleared twice as many rucks as Kleyn and the difference between the two in terms of quality and work-rate was just embarrassing.

To me I have seen a lot worse articles so I don't see whats the big deal

he picked out a couple of young players and says why dont you pick them because you have already tried the rest and they are not good enough.

I think you would find a lot of posts on here after the semi final which said something fairly similar

I do think he didnt need to refer to them as Saffers as that kind of stick out and hides his point

Granny15 wrote: »
    Not as nasty as some of the comments from regular internet posters on this site and others about players like Joe Tomane. The hatred that comes from anonymous posters towards project behavior players is plain racism and trumps anything Franno comes out with about “protectionism” of Irish players

You are excusing his behaviour as a print journalist in a national newspaper by comparing it to internet trolls on order to make it look more acceptable ? I hope you are not a lawyer or I bet you would be making a lot of visits to your clients in prison.

For the crack I read the article......

He had a pop at Kelleher. He plays for Leinster

If your talking about Kleyn, he is making a fairly valid point. Copied below. We now have to compare ourselves against England as they are second best team in World. Kruis and Idjoe, can we match them?

To me I have seen a lot worse articles so I don't see whats the big deal

he picked out a couple of young players and says why dont you pick them because you have already tried the rest and they are not good enough.

I think you would find a lot of posts on here after the semi final which said something fairly similar

I do think he didnt need to refer to them as Saffers as that kind of stick out and hides his point

Kelleher as he had been brilliant. The only player he cited that anyone outside Dublin heard off. He has used his position to constantly knock players from other teams and make a case Leinster players to be included for Ireland. Like McGrath a perfect case as he knocked Marmion at every opertunity even though he is a better player. Who went to Japan ? Not saying it was his input but these things add up.

You are excusing his behaviour as a print journalist in a national newspaper by comparing it to internet trolls on order to make it look more acceptable ? I hope you are not a lawyer or I bet you would be making a lot of visits to your clients in prison.

Please quote these unacceptable comments he has made about project players?

Kelleher as he had been brilliant. The only player he cited that anyone outside Dublin heard off. He has used his position to constantly knock players from other teams and make a case Leinster players to be included for Ireland. Like McGrath a perfect case as he knocked Marmion at every opertunity even though he is a better player. Who went to Japan ? Not saying it was his input but these things add up.

Tin foil hat time now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

This thread is far worse than anything Neil Francis has ever put out.

Please quote these unacceptable comments he has made about project players?
    It's goes beyond spefic comments. It is the way he uses his position. The specific way he has attached and singled out Quinn Roux for instance. I can't recall a player as bad for Ireland as Ross Byrne was against England was in the warm ups yet he goes not get the same persistent abuse as Roux.

It's goes beyond spefic comments. It is the way he uses his position. The specific way he has attached and singled out Quinn Roux for instance. I can't recall a player as bad for Ireland as Ross Byrne was against England was in the warm ups yet he goes not get the same persistent abuse as Roux.

Unfortunately I think the problem might be more with yourself and Leinster players than with Franno and non Leinster players

• Advertisement

Unfortunately I think the problem might be more with yourself and Leinster players than with Franno and non Leinster players

If you are not capable of making an argument about the point in question and have to resort to ad hominem attack then that says all I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

If you are not capable of making an argument about the point in question and have to resort to ad hominem attack then that says all I guess.

Is his ad hominem not the same as yours?

Tbh I agree Francis is a biased arse but still.

The basis of your argument is Franno has said awful things about NIQ. When asked to quote these you instead you make reference to Ross Byrne??

I can't make an argument about comments I have never seen

Is his ad hominem not the same as yours?

Tbh I agree Francis is a biased arse but still.

My point was that Francis had singled out a particular player for abuse that is Quinn Roux and he has devoted a lot of his colume to attacking that player. The player happened not to be born in Ireland. I said other players who happened to be born here and who performed worse than Roux on at least one occasion - yet Francis did not give that same treatment using his privileged position to attack the player from his club. The other poster reverted to accusing me of just having a problem with Leinster players which is just not the case. So no it is not the same thing in any way I am afraid.

The basis of your argument is Franno has said awful things about NIQ. When asked to quote these you instead you make reference to Ross Byrne??

I can't make an argument about comments I have never seen

Have the same problem with Francis devoting a massive amount of his writing over the last couple of years to attack Quinn Roux and others as my criticism of Byrne ? This is a national newspaper journalist who uses his position to abuse players who strangely are from other countries originally.

Have the same problem with Francis devoting a massive amount of his writing over the last couple of years to attack Quinn Roux and others as my criticism of Byrne ? This is a national newspaper journalist who uses his position to abuse players who strangely are from other countries originally.

Quinn Roux is question by a number of people, not just Franno, in terms of his ability to play at international level. Most comments would go Quinn Roux, he is one of Joe's favorites etc

I have no idea why you reference Byrne at all, he doesnt play second row, plus you are talking about a preseason friendly match when the whole team was diabolical. Carter could have played 10 that day and he would have been awful.

I am no fan of Franno but I am just not getting your point on this specific article.

Now if you want to refer or quote another article then we can discuss that. Just because you dont like what he says doesnt mean you can accuse him of some sort of racism

Luke Fitzgerald has the same gripe with non Irish born players. I would say it is some form of protectionism coming from a place that wants the Irish system to serve Irish players and not foreign players. It is a point of view that originated back in the 80’s with venerable right wingers like Michael mcdowell but I fear it goes back further to the protectionist days of De Veleras Ireland.

I tend to disagree with that bias but it isn’t borne out of a hatred like some people can show on internet sites.

His style is blunt to the point and ruthless towards players. He played at the highest levels in the game and I like his take on rugby matters even if I do not agree with everything.

If Neil Francis was a jeopardy question it would be 'people not to take too seriously for 200 please Alex'.

That's all you need to know about Neil Francis articles.

Quinn Roux is question by a number of people, not just Franno, in terms of his ability to play at international level. Most comments would go Quinn Roux, he is one of Joe's favorites etc

I have no idea why you reference Byrne at all, he doesnt play second row, plus you are talking about a preseason friendly match when the whole team was diabolical. Carter could have played 10 that day and he would have been awful.

I am no fan of Franno but I am just not getting your point on this specific article.

Now if you want to refer or quote another article then we can discuss that. Just because you dont like what he says doesnt mean you can accuse him of some sort of racism

You can try to define the conversation on your terms all you want and make attempts at looking forensic by throwing in red herrings about the positions the players we spoke about play in etc but this is all irrelevant. Francis treats players who play for Leinster and play for other Provences completely differenly.

So rather than quotes look at the amount of his copy where abuses players that were not born here. He treats players who happen to qualify for Ireland through residency differently to those born here. If this was another part of life other than sport I know what he would be called.

He has used his column to single out particular players who who qualify for Ireland through residency and are not Irish by birth. If you are happy to defend this behaviour then I would say rather than rushing to retort to me you should consider what this says about your own view of what is acceptable behaviour.

• Advertisement

You can try to define the conversation on your terms all you want and make attempts at looking forensic by throwing in red herrings about the positions the players we spoke about play in etc but this is all irrelevant. Francis treats players who play for Leinster and play for other Provences completely differenly.

So rather than quotes look at the amount of his copy where abuses players that were not born here. He treats players who happen to qualify for Ireland through residency differently to those born here. If this was another part of life other than sport I know what he would be called.

He has used his column to single out particular players who who qualify for Ireland through residency and are not Irish by birth. If you are happy to defend this behaviour then I would say rather than rushing to retort to me you should consider what this says about your own view of what is acceptable behaviour.

If he does then provide the quotes?

I rarely read Franno as I know he is a click bait journo. You seem to so provide the quotes?

If you are going to accuse Franno of racism and then try to accuse me at least provide one quote to back it up!!!

If you want to go down that route, go to Luke, he has f**king loads

Advertisement