Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Neil Francis and clearing out "Dead Wood".

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,039 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Lads, this is a guy who said that gay men are more interested in ballet and hair dressing than sport...

Hes done a lot more than that

https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Neil_Francis_(rugby_union)&oldid=605470235

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭MarinersBlues

aloooof wrote: »
    I don't understand why anyone would read Neil Francis when there are plenty of quality irish rugby journalists out there.

I wouldn't read him for any amount of money.
    It's very frustrating to see him trotted out with some other lazy ex-player-turned-pundits on national broadcasters.

There are at least 10 well informed young journalists who deserve that kind of exposure more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Anyone else think Neil Francis should be cleared out with some dead wood?

A baseball bat is dead wood, right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,870 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

The Nal wrote: »

Well the tears are running down my cheeks laughing at that!! Exactly what is needed at this moment in time. What a man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

aloooof wrote: »
    I don't understand why anyone would read Neil Francis when there are plenty of quality irish rugby journalists out there.

Because internet.

In times gone by, reading Neil Francis meant going out and buying the Indo. You had to actually seek it out which obviously you wouldn't do if you didn't like the content, so you'd be blissfully unaware of most of it.

Now, people like the OP don't think "oh, it's Monday, I must see what Neil Francis' column is about", they just see whatever flashes up in their Twitter feed because that's how the media works now. And he clicks, and he gets angry, and he retweets, and his mates see it and they click and round and round we go.

People say "oh Francis is just writing clickbait". No, he's not. He's been writing the same sort of thing for 20 years, since before clickbait was a thing. What's changed is that people have lost the ability to distinguish opinion pieces from news from blogs from paid placements. They don't pay for content so they don't value content so they don't discriminate about what they read. People like the OP are the problem, not Neil Francis.

Imagine 20 years ago, your granny was complaining about seeing a big pair of tits in the paper. You'd say, well granny, you bought The Sun and you flicked to page 3, what did you expect? Should there be a topless lady there, probably not, but your granny should know better. That's basically the situation the OP is in. An old lady looking at a pair of tits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭joseywhales

Buer wrote: »
    Yeah, I hate those lazy generalisations too.

Sure at least you didn't have to pay to read it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Because internet.

In times gone by, reading Neil Francis meant going out and buying the Indo. You had to actually seek it out which obviously you wouldn't do if you didn't like the content, so you'd be blissfully unaware of most of it.

Now, people like the OP don't think "oh, it's Monday, I must see what Neil Francis' column is about", they just see whatever flashes up in their Twitter feed because that's how the media works now. And he clicks, and he gets angry, and he retweets, and his mates see it and they click and round and round we go.

People say "oh Francis is just writing clickbait". No, he's not. He's been writing the same sort of thing for 20 years, since before clickbait was a thing. What's changed is that people have lost the ability to distinguish opinion pieces from news from blogs from paid placements. They don't pay for content so they don't value content so they don't discriminate about what they read. People like the OP are the problem, not Neil Francis.

Imagine 20 years ago, your granny was complaining about seeing a big pair of tits in the paper. You'd say, well granny, you bought The Sun and you flicked to page 3, what did you expect? Should there be a topless lady there, probably not, but your granny should know better. That's basically the situation the OP is in. An old lady looking at a pair of tits.

Well they’re more moons in Franno’s case I’d say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭evil_seed

To the OP.... Please understand modern journalism. It's about clicks into Web addresses and what you have done, is draw attention to the article with your snowflake outrage that is like fuel to them, I bet that article has got many hits now because of this thread. He laid the trap and you walked right into it.

Serious question, are you really as angry about an article as you appear to be?
    If so, jeez, you better lighten up and toughen up.

Modern journalism may be about all that, but Franno isn't a modern journalist. He's been trolling in the papers before trolling was even a term.

He's a lazy, backways thinking "analyst"/"journalist" that is stealing a living based on the fact he's gotten a handful of caps for Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Lads, this is a guy who said that gay men are more interested in ballet and hair dressing than sport...

Nuff said about what kind of journalist he is.

Yes, you never see a Gay man down the gym......:D

• Advertisement

awec wrote: »
    Has Leinster ever produced a decent journalist?
    Edmund Van Esbeck

mfceiling wrote: »
    Well the tears are running down my cheeks laughing at that!! Exactly what is needed at this moment in time. What a man.

Apparently he also invented Kleenex as he needs lots of them.:D

• Subscribers Posts: 41,860 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

jacothelad wrote: »
    Edmund Van Esbeck

Is that the guy who was totally opposed to professionalism

Is that the guy who was totally opposed to professionalism

https://www.amazon.com/Irish-Rugby-1874-1999-Edmund-Esbeck/dp/0717129306

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭sliabh 1956

I am old enough to remember Niall threating to sue Van Especk over some unflattering piece he wrote about Niall

Advertisement