Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

This is a thread about the 2020 Six Nations, formerly the Five Nations

• 17-12-2019 11:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,717 ✭✭✭

Forget RWC, Champions Cup & Christmas. Just over 6 wks until the 6 Nations - 1st Feb.

I don’t think there has ever been a 6N with such an amount of change in personnel from the previous championship.
    Some real stalwarts have also departed the scene: Parisse, Zanni, Best, Kearney, O'Brien, Hartley, Gatland, Ghiraldini, Guirado, Fofana, Brunel & I think Picamoles (load of Hookers & 8’s in that group)
    Joe and O’Shea gone. Scotland, England and then Ireland probably have the least amount of change following the RWC.

England: Captain: Farrell.
    Head Coach: Jones. Forwards: Borthwick. Attack: Simon Amor. Defence: Mitchell.
    Ireland: Captain: TBC. 4 Options: POM,Ryan,CJ & Sexton(would prefer him to just play)
    Head Coach: Farrell. Forwards: Fogarty. Attack: Catt. Defence: Easterby. H2O: Murphy. Manager: ?
    Italy: Captain: TBC.
    Head Coach: Franco Smith. Forwards: De Carli. Defence: Goosen. Fitness: Atkinson/Sanguin
    Scotland: Captain: McInally?
    Head Coach: Townsend. Forwards: Wilson. Attack: ?. Defence: Taylor. Skills: Blair
    Wales: Captain: Jones.
    Head Coach: Pivac. Forwards: Humphreys. Attack: Jones. Defence: Hayward/Warburton
    France: Captain: TBC.
    Head Coach: Galthie. Forwards:?Scrum: William Servat & Karim Ghezal. Attack: Labit. Defence: Prick with clipboard looking furious all of the time. Manager: Ibanez

Even though England start with two away games & might feel that they have little to prove, its hard not to see them winning it.
    Ireland have a nice start with two home games v Scot & Wales. Win those “Momentum” and then on to Twickenham and finishing in Paris in the final match.
    “Which France will turn up?”
    I'll go with France to win it & Dupont player of the championship.

Preferred Ireland XXIII
    Larmour; Conway, Ringrose, Aki, Stockdale; Carbery, Cooney;
    Healy, Kelleher, Porter; Henderson, Ryan(vc); POM(C), VdF, Dorris.

Reps: Scannell, Kilcoyne, Furlong, Toner, CJ, Murray, Sexton (if played for Leinster), Addison.
    https://www.the42.ie/rob-kearney-andy-farrell-ireland-squad-4935755-Dec2019/

ROUND ONE

1/2 February:
    Wales vs Italy – Saturday 2:15pm
    Ireland vs Scotland – Saturday 4:45pm Referee: Raynal
    France vs England – Sunday 3pm

ROUND TWO
    8/9 February:
    Ireland vs Wales – Saturday 2:15pm Referee: Romain Poite
    Scotland vs England – Saturday 4:45pm
    France vs Italy – Sunday 3pm

ROUND THREE
    22/23 February:
    Italy vs Scotland – Saturday 2:15pm
    Wales vs France – Saturday 4:45pm
    England vs Ireland – Sunday 3pm Referee: Jaco Peyper

ROUND FOUR
    7/8 March:
    Ireland vs Italy – Saturday 2:15pm Referee: Nic Berry
    England vs Wales – Saturday 4:45pm
    Scotland vs France – Sunday 3pm

ROUND FIVE
    14 March:
    Wales vs Scotland – Saturday 2:15pm
    Italy vs England – Saturday 4:45pm
    France vs Ireland – Saturday 8pm. Referee: Barnes
    https://www.sixnationsrugby.com/fixtures/
    https://www.sixnationsrugby.com/2019/12/04/refereeing-appointments-for-2020-guinness-six-nations-announced/

2020 Six Nations Winner 206 votes

England
    67% 139 votes
    France
    17% 36 votes
    Ireland
    4% 9 votes
    Matteo Minozzi side-steps
    5% 12 votes
    Scotland
    0% 2 votes
    Wales
    0% 0 votes
    Wayne Barnes
    1% 4 votes
    CVC
    1% 4 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,742 ✭✭✭✭bilston

France might be a good shout. They have some fantastic young talent emerging, but whether they can get any sort of consistency is highly questionable. Still, if they beat England at home in the first game then you'd expect them to beat Italy and if they go to Wales unbeaten and with their tails up then it may just be their year.

Looking forward to the Championship this year. England likely the team to beat on the basis of form out of the World Cup.

That opening fixture in Paris should be a cracker and a loss for England would change expectations a lot.

Scotland have a terrible run. Away to us and then England visit. They had a worse world cup than us and the Scottish teams are struggling against provincial 'A' sides. Have said it before - Townsend won't survive the tournament.

I don't rate Pivac in the same bracket as Gatland and think this will be a difficult tournament for the Welsh.

If England lose in round 1 then I think Ireland will win the championship with the game in Twickenham deciding whether it's with a slam or not.

If England win in round 1 then I think they'll get the slam.

Please note, for the sake of clarity this post did not mention or in anyway reference Peter O'Mahony nor anyone with the likeness (intentional or otherwise) of Peter O'Mahony.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

Interestingly the 3rd year on the trot where a win in the opening round in Paris could be the catalyst for a slam win

I'd expect England to just about do enough in Paris (it won't be easy though) and follow Wales and Ireland's lead. I actually don't expect them to be overly troubled from then onwards

A France win first up though ( could well happen) and I could well see them winning it out

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Can someone fix the apostrophe in the thread title.
    Please.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,717 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

No
    The Farrells own it

Eats, Shoots & Leaves

• Advertisement

Laidlaw gone

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2019/dec/19/greig-laidlaw-former-scotland-captain-retires-international-rugby-union

Didn’t realise Barclay – another former captain and stalwart and Seymour are also gone.

Laidlaw probably going before he was going to be pushed out anyway. He's 34 and playing abroad. Barclay likewise is 33. Time to move on.

All change for France
    19 uncapped players in squad as veterans miss out.
    Clearly all about 2023 for France.
    Surprised they dumped Slimani though.

Ollivon new Captain. Class player.

https://www.the42.ie/france-name-19-uncapped-players-in-six-nations-squad-4958485-Jan2020/

Could still see them winning it this year.

Please.

Please. I'm shaking here.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Kevski

Maybe the apostrophe is correct and OP forgot to add the next word :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,898 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Please.

Insert the word team mentally.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

I just saw we have Peyper reffing us at Twickenham. Ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Owen Farrell will be delighted.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,979 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Yeah, I can't even read the thread properly. Looking for someone to say they'll fix it instead of reading the posts. I think we should just let the thread die.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

All change for France
    19 uncapped players in squad as veterans miss out.
    Clearly all about 2023 for France.
    Surprised they dumped Slimani though.

Ollivon new Captain. Class player.

https://www.the42.ie/france-name-19-uncapped-players-in-six-nations-squad-4958485-Jan2020/

Could still see them winning it this year.

Interesting, and very young, squad.
    World U20 champions Cameron Woki, Louis Carbonel, Jean-Baptiste Gros, Killian Geraci, Arthur Vincent and Demba Bamba are among the uncapped faces in the new-look set-up.

Veterans such as Maxime Medard, Yoann Huget, Wenceslas Lauret and Rabah Slimani, who are all older than 30, miss out.

With an average age of 24, the sole player in the squad over 30 years of age is Racing’s South African-born forward Bernard Le Roux.

Pretty sure Demba Bamba has been capped before? But only one player over 30 is surprising. Is Iturria injured?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,448 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

So no offsides and cheap shots will be the order of the day, only for him to decide the game by mistaking a Yellow elephant for a forward pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

My 23 for Scotland, fully realising that it wont be the team selected, would be:

Healy Scannell Porter
    Toner Ryan
    Stander Doris VDF

Cooney Sexton
    Henshaw Ringrose
    Stockdale Larmour Conway

Kelleher, Kilcoyne, Furlong, Henderson, POM, McGrath, Byrne, Addison

We simply don't know how guys like Doris or Cooney would fit in with what the team try to do or even gel with the guys around them so this team may not even work. Theres also a bit of a lack of leadership there so guys like Ryan, Stander, Sexton and Ringrose would really need to step up. The leadership thing could be a reason to look at 9 and possibly bring Murray in and move Cooney to the bench.

All that said, I think certain things need to be addressed. Our back row most of all. I'm not getting into players form or anything like that. But our back row simply didnt work last year. We missed a truly dynamic carrier and/or someone to at least take some of the onus off Stander. Addressing that was a main reason behind the above. I'd rather we had Conan, but Doris is the next best option.

The above also maintains a good level of continuity while also setting a tone re rewarding younger guys early. I cant see a revolution in how we play. I dont think it's possible in a matter of weeks, which is all they'll have together. It'll be more evolution than revolution IMO. So that continuity will be very important. We're also looking at bringing real impact off the bench too with the above.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

molloyjh wrote: »
    My 23 for Scotland, fully realising that it wont be the team selected, would be:

Healy Scannell Porter
    Toner Ryan
    Stander Doris VDF

Cooney Sexton
    Henshaw Ringrose
    Stockdale Larmour Conway

We simply don't know how guys like Doris or Cooney would fit in with what the team try to do or even gel with the guys around them so as it team it may not even work. Theres also a bit of a lack of leadership there so guys like Ryan, Stander, Sexton and Ringrose would really need to step up. The leadership thing could be a reason to look at 9 and possibly bring Murray in and move Cooney to the bench.

All that said, I think certain things need to be addressed. Our back row most of all. I'm not getting into players form or anything like that. But our back row simply didnt work last year. We missed a truly dynamic carrier and/or someone to at least take some of the onus off Stander. Addressing that was a main reason behind the above. I'd rather we had Conan, but Doris is the next best option.

The above also maintains a good level of continuity while also setting a tone re rewarding younger guys early. I cant see a revolution in how we play. I dont think it's possible in a matter of weeks, which is all they'll have together. It'll be more evolution than revolution IMO. So that continuity will be very important. We're also looking at bringing real impact off the bench too with the above.

I don't see Murray falling outside of the 23, tbh.

I think I'd go for Kelleher ahead of Scannell and a back row of Ruddock, Stander and VdF; I think there's something to be said for having Stander at 8 as a help to Cooney at scrumtime.

I really like the look of a Stockdale, Larmour and Conway back 3 tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

molloyjh wrote: »

Healy Scannell Porter
    Toner Ryan
    Stander Doris VDF

Cooney Sexton
    Henshaw Ringrose
    Stockdale Larmour Conway

We simply don't know how guys like Doris or Cooney would fit in with what the team try to do or even gel with the guys around them so this team may not even work. Theres also a bit of a lack of leadership there so guys like Ryan, Stander, Sexton and Ringrose would really need to step up. The leadership thing could be a reason to look at 9 and possibly bring Murray in and move Cooney to the bench.

O'Mahony isn't the guy to bring impact off the bench, I'd have Ruddock.

aloooof wrote: »
    I don't see Murray falling outside of the 23, tbh.

I think I'd go for Kelleher ahead of Scannell and a back row of Ruddock, Stander and VdF; I think there's something to be said for having Stander at 8 as a help to Cooney at scrumtime.

I really like the look of a Stockdale, Larmour and Conway back 3 tho.

Kelleher is injured (it's reported he may be back for match against Benetton on the 18th of January) so can't participate in training and will have no form going into the 6 nations.

I think Stander or Ruddock at 6 (and the other on the bench), with Doris or Deegan starting at 8, Cooney won't need Stander at 8, those two are brilliant 8's.

I'd like to see Baloucoune on the right wing if his knee isn't too bad after the slight knock it took against Munster (Ulster haven't reported any issue in their latest injury update), and Conway is currently injured (neck) at the moment withdrawn from training with no estimation yet of how long he'll be out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,999 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Kelleher is injured so can't participate in training and will have no form going into the 6 nations.

He'll be available for Treviso next weekend and will be able to fully participate in the 6N training camps.

If Farrell goes and picks the RWC team/team that failed its way through 2019 then he's the wrong man for the job.

He'll be available for Treviso next weekend and will be able to fully participate in the 6N training camps.

If Farrell goes and picks the RWC team/team that failed its way through 2019 then he's the wrong man for the job.

Scannell, Herring and Heffernan were in the recent "Stocktake" so I'd think it's more likely that one of those 3 if they are playing regularly will be ahead of Kelleher.
    His injury has prevented him from building up any form, not playing for 6 weeks and then playing one match just as the squad will be getting together two weeks before the first 6 nations match has made it much more difficult to impress Farrell.
    If he does get into the 15 or even the 23 for the first match, he will be relying on past form to make his case, and being relatively new to senior rugby at this level I can't see Farrell taking any chances with him.
    If he does get selected it would be a huge testament to the quality he showed before Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,710 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Feel this is going to be a very odd Championship

Very transitional for all teams with the exception of England

Not much hype around for it compared to other years

Be nice for Ireland to win it out but cant see it. 2x home wins and 1 win away would be a great campaign

Think England to win without the grand slam and triple crown

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,207 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

PTH2009 wrote: »

Be nice for Ireland to win it out but cant see it. 2x home wins and 1 win away would be a great campaign

Losing at home to Scotland or Wales would not be a "great" campaign.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Coz

How many Saracens players will be ruled out because they've moved abroad due to the shakeup?

Kruis is off to Japan.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Coz wrote: »
    How many Saracens players will be ruled out because they've moved abroad due to the shakeup?

Kruis is off to Japan.

None I'd imagine. Kruis is reportedly off to Japan, nothing confirmed. Other than that there's no reports of national team players other than Wigglesworth (who probably shouldn't be in the side anyways) leaving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

None I'd imagine. Kruis is reportedly off to Japan, nothing confirmed. Other than that there's no reports of national team players other than Wigglesworth (who probably shouldn't be in the side anyways) leaving.

Yep and Kruis isn't first choice anymore anyway. Lawes had a very good world cup. Launchbury is obviously a very able deputy too

Wigglesworth hasn't been capped by England in a long time now I don't think. I'm not sure he's even played much since around 2015 when he went to the world cup

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

What sites do people use for fantasy for the 6 nations? Have done the Irish times one for years now but it's a bit ****e to be honest

Bazzo wrote: »
    What sites do people use for fantasy for the 6 nations?

I like rugbyhunks but frontrowfurries.net gets very busy this time of year.

• Advertisement

England officially announce new coaches.
    Matt Proudfoot: Forwards coach
    Simon Amor: Backs coach

And Eddie Jones is apparently still the Skills Coach
    https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2020/jan/13/england-appoint-simon-amor-matt-proudfoot-coaches-rugby-union

My fav fact about Proudfoot:
    Proudfoot was so big that Melrose reportedly had to commission their kit-suppliers to produce a specially made, super-sized strip to encase his 50-inch chest and 48-inch backside.
    https://www.theoffsideline.com/matt-proudfoot-scotland/

His last cap was v Ireland. 2003 RWC warm-up game where Murphy broke his leg

Advertisement