Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion Thread VI

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Trump directly calls the FBI 'scum' during his latest rally.

https://www.msnbc.com/hardball/watch/trump-calls-fbi-scum-at-rally-74878021538?fbclid=IwAR2sFGlaOUkTQxQYm1qdnTwWTK9VNkru5a00uyzU8f2v5j1Cj7_AxvDgG1c

Imagine the POTUS actually directly attacking and insulting his own law enforcement.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,722 ✭✭✭abff

Sonics2k wrote: »
    Trump directly calls the FBI 'scum' during his latest rally.

https://www.msnbc.com/hardball/watch/trump-calls-fbi-scum-at-rally-74878021538?fbclid=IwAR2sFGlaOUkTQxQYm1qdnTwWTK9VNkru5a00uyzU8f2v5j1Cj7_AxvDgG1c

Imagine the POTUS actually directly attacking and insulting his own law enforcement.

As time goes on, he becomes more and more of a caricature. That doesn't really surprise me, but the extent to which other Republicans are prepared to row in behind him and join in the cries of WITCH HUNT dismays me.

I've said it before on this thread, but I really find myself wondering if I've wandered into an alternate universe. Or maybe I'm in a coma after an accident and this is just a prolonged dream/nightmare conjured up by fevered mind?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,253 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

abff wrote: »
    As time goes on, he becomes more and more of a caricature. That doesn't really surprise me, but the extent to which other Republicans are prepared to row in behind him and join in the cries of WITCH HUNT dismays me.

I've said it before on this thread, but I really find myself wondering if I've wandered into an alternate universe. Or maybe I'm in a coma after an accident and this is just a prolonged dream/nightmare conjured up by fevered mind?

Nope. It's real, and we're stuck with it. And likely for another 4 years, the way things are going. Sad but I'm afraid it's the truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,067 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Trying to keep optimistic about the next election, let's say Trump does not get another term.

What are the gaping holes which he has exploited while in office, and what would you recommend be done to fix. I can think of a few straight away.

1) Mandatory disclosure of financial records for 3 plus years prior to running
    2) No judge appointed who isn't recommended by the Judge's bar in the US
    3) Bring back press conferences for the WH
    4) Make it part of the code of conduct of members of the house or senate that that members/President cannot verbally attack the press. He can certainly disagree, but phrases like "enemy of the people" etcetera should be specifically prohibited
    5) Steps be taken so as to ensure that stonewalling the Congress when they are conducting oversight will never happen again.

Any others?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    Nope. It's real, and we're stuck with it. And likely for another 4 years, the way things are going. Sad but I'm afraid it's the truth.

Perhaps, perhaps not; the real drama might be in the 2020 Senate elections, with a number of potential upsets on the cards - not least Mitch McConnell & that seat in Kentucky turning blue. I'm not sure what the numbers look like, but if there's a realistic chance of the Senate going Blue then any second term for Trump would become a Lame Duck. Though the flipside of that would be a marked increase - if such a thing were possible - in the aggressive rhetoric from Trump. Talk of coups and tyranny would potentially go through the roof.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,995 ✭✭✭AbusesToilets

everlast75 wrote: »
    Trying to keep optimistic about the next election, let's say Trump does not get another term.

What are the gaping holes which he has exploited while in office, and what would you recommend be done to fix. I can think of a few straight away.

4) Make it part of the code of conduct of members of the house or senate that that members/President cannot verbally attack the press. He can certainly disagree, but phrases like "enemy of the people" etcetera should be specifically prohibited
    5) Steps be taken so as to ensure that stonewalling the Congress when they are conducting oversight will never happen again.

Any others?
    Electoral reform
    Electoral reform
    Electoral reform

An end to the idea that corporations are people and have the same free speech rights.

An end to gerrymandering, either by federally enforcing independent electoral districting, or multiseat districts, or both.

Automatic voter enrollment.

Utilising technology, such as block chain to ensure transparent voting processes.

Proportional Representation in how they award Electoral College votes.

Term limits for all branchs of Government.

Mandatory financial transparency for elected government officials.

Mandatory annual, transparent mental health evaluation for the President and Supreme Court judges.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Any others?

I'm left wondering where the emoluments violations are in the articles of impeachment.

If there's a constitutional requirement for the president not to use the presidency as a tool for lining his pockets, there needs to be cast iron legislation that implements that clause of the constitution.

An outright ban on members of the president's immediate family holding any role within the executive branch for the duration of the president's term of office.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,253 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

I've thought for a while that it'll be Trump's tax returns and financial history that'll eventually take him down. Be interesting to see how that story develops, if it develops at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Any others?

Reinstate Fairness Doctrine for media.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,995 ✭✭✭AbusesToilets

TRS30 wrote: »
    Reinstate Fairness Doctrine for media.

Agree, but how that be possible nowadays. You'd have to dismantle all the news networks, which would be a good thing certainly, but unlikely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭serfboard

eire4 wrote: »
    Yes one of the classic lines to justify the super wealthy just gobbling up everything and the resultant massive income inequality. The same people tend to push out the corollary that well the poor are all lazy and that is why they are and deserve to be poor.
    Indeed. We had a similar mentality shown to us during the famine - we were starving because we were indolent and feckless.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    I've thought for a while that it'll be Trump's tax returns and financial history that'll eventually take him down. Be interesting to see how that story develops, if it develops at all.

3 cases are waiting for SC to consider. Friday will tell us more. But to be honest, it's just about the timeline now, there is little chance the SC will overturn the earlier decisions - Trump knows this too and has been just playing this for time in the hope that he could drag it out to after the election. As it stands, theres a good chance that it will be drawn into the impeachment process as well. Nobody knows for certain right now, but house Democrats seem to be keeping the door open for it.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Mandatory annual, transparent mental health evaluation for the President and Supreme Court judges.

Twitter the day after the evaluation

“The doctor is an ANGRY DEMOCRAT. Healthiest President ever!”

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

So in an amusing piece of non-news, and continued indication that this Thread operates under greater rules of civility and maturity than actual political campaigns, Trump's own 2020 campaign posted a video comparing the President to Thanos. If you don't know who that is, he's a movie villain whose goal is to literally kill 50% of the universe's population - though presumably the campaign just thought it looked cool & decisive. In this video, Thanos-Trump wipes out Nancy Pelosi & co.

Now, it's obviously all meant to be a joke, but as signals go it's a pretty asinine, poorly judged one IMO. Who compares themselves to what is literally the biggest villain in pop culture ATM?

https://twitter.com/TrumpWarRoom/status/1204503645607333888

• Registered Users Posts: 81,859 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

pixelburp wrote: »
    So in an amusing piece of non-news, and continued indication that this Thread operates under greater rules of civility and maturity than actual political campaigns, Trump's own 2020 campaign posted a video comparing the President to Thanos. If you don't know who that is, he's a movie villain whose goal is to literally kill 50% of the universe's population - though presumably the campaign just thought it looked cool & decisive. In this video, Thanos-Trump wipes out Nancy Pelosi & co.

Now, it's obviously all meant to be a joke, but as signals go it's a pretty asinine, poorly judged one IMO. Who compares themselves to what is literally the biggest villain in pop culture ATM?

https://twitter.com/TrumpWarRoom/status/1204503645607333888

Ironic, this is the scene in the movie where
    Thanos realizes in a mere moment that Iron Man took the Infinity Stones from him, who proceeds to snap Thanos/Trump and his minions out of existence. The snap we see in this clip is actually a clunking dud.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,037 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

This report, about misleading statistics and misdirection from the USG about Afghanistan is pretty damning: https://thehill.com/policy/defense/473635-documents-show-us-leaders-misled-public-on-progress-in-afghanistan-war-report

it excoriates all administrations since GWB, nor does it paint a pretty picture about what *can* happen today. Trump, if you remember, wanted a meeting with the Taliban leaders in Camp David. That blew up in his face. The negotiations have gone on, however, quietly.

My guess: Trump'll begin a troop drawdown during 2020, damned the consequences. He's not a big consequence guy. He's not wrong, though, that the US public is fed up with this endless war. Afghanistan, arguably, will be worse than when the US first showed up - they've gotten an enormous amount of $$ out of the US that's been invested in weaponry, and doubtless stolen away by Afghans, too.

So, the ugliness will just start up again. ISIS caliphate in Kabul in 10 years?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Igotadose wrote: »
    This report, about misleading statistics and misdirection from the USG about Afghanistan is pretty damning: https://thehill.com/policy/defense/473635-documents-show-us-leaders-misled-public-on-progress-in-afghanistan-war-report

it excoriates all administrations since GWB, nor does it paint a pretty picture about what *can* happen today. Trump, if you remember, wanted a meeting with the Taliban leaders in Camp David. That blew up in his face. The negotiations have gone on, however, quietly.

My guess: Trump'll begin a troop drawdown during 2020, damned the consequences. He's not a big consequence guy. He's not wrong, though, that the US public is fed up with this endless war. Afghanistan, arguably, will be worse than when the US first showed up - they've gotten an enormous amount of $$ out of the US that's been invested in weaponry, and doubtless stolen away by Afghans, too.

So, the ugliness will just start up again. ISIS caliphate in Kabul in 10 years?

The US cannot babysit the Middle East forever. It's a black hole of cash and lives, and their presence cannot be trusted to have any long term positive impact.

The sooner they rip the bandage off, the better.

Unfortunately the region will probably be a mess for another century or more, and racked by civil war, genocide and other horrors, but the West has no proven method to resolve the problem, nor do they have any moral authority to make the attempt.

Whatever murderers and warlords are still around when it all works itself out will hopefully be the forerunners of leaders that transition those countries into democracy.

And it also doesn't help the world if the US, the UK and the like continue to be destabalised by terrorist threats they've helped create. We're seeing that maybe the bastions of Western democracy aren't as resilient as we'd hoped. Now's not the time to be trying to walk and chew gum at the same time.

Whatever administration is in charge going into 2021, they could probably do without having a giant millstone around their necks of juggling Middle-Eastern diplomacy.
    One silver lining one might imagine from a Trump presidency is that he can bite the bullet on overseas deployments in the Middle East. He's not someone for whom I think the "Trolley Problem" of weighing up the direct damage caused by withdrawal, against the endless war of continuing meddling, would cause undue distress to, either personally, or politically.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Gbear wrote: »
    The US cannot babysit the Middle East forever. It's a black hole of cash and lives, and their presence cannot be trusted to have any long term positive impact. The sooner they rip the bandage off, the better.

One silver lining one might imagine from a Trump presidency is that he can bite the bullet on overseas deployments in the Middle East. He's not someone for whom I think the "Trolley Problem" of weighing up the direct damage caused by withdrawal, against the endless war of continuing meddling, would cause undue distress to, either personally, or politically.

That's the difference between Don and the politicians from the two parties and the independents. He has a different non-aligned view to theirs where it come to how US national management should practice matters. The original foreign countries who interfered in the region had colonialist attitudes to the region, not the way the US technically operates but with the world policeman attitude they still enter into disputed matters and end up being seen as nuisance interfering in local affairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,161 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

https://www.congress.gov/bill/116th-congress/house-resolution/757/text?r=18

Resolution to remove and disbarment of attorney General William Barr

• Registered Users Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Christy42

duploelabs wrote: »
    https://www.congress.gov/bill/116th-congress/house-resolution/757/text?r=18

Resolution to remove and disbarment of attorney General William Barr

Any other era and Barr would be long gone. However as is many Trump supporters will not want to admit how obviously wrong they were.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,560 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Earlier I went through some of what happened yesterday in both the house and senate committees and I actually give up as some of the GOP logic(I know I'm asking a lot of that word) is off the wall. Since the whole Ukraine carry in particular has started from what I've read and watched the GOP have provided no credible defense of Donald trump and what he did. They have attacked the rules and alleged issue with the process. Btw the rules of the house were changed in 2015 by the GOP so they can't blame the democrats for following the rules they set.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Gwen Cooper

So Donald finally shared his opinion on Greta being the Time person of the year:

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1205100602025545730

This is the US president being jealous of a 16 year old girl because she won.

So Donald finally shared his opinion on Greta being the Time person of the year:

Indeed, but unfortunately a lot might share his opinion; the level of pathetic vitriol and hyperbole against a child activist has been unreal. Even here on Boards you'll see folks who seem to be threatened by a teenager saying "hey, the world is f*cked if we don't wise up".

pixelburp wrote: »
    Indeed, but unfortunately a lot might share his opinion; the level of pathetic vitriol and hyperbole against a child activist has been unreal. Even here on Boards you'll see folks who seem to be threatened by a teenager saying "hey, the world is f*cked if we don't wise up".

Those on boards can punch their keys and that's as far as it gets. He is the President of the United f**king States.

So, why can't she be a good kid, like Ivanka, Donny Jnr and Eric who defrauded charities, or Donny who travels the world, shooting endangered animals.

DJT is an utterly despicable, gormless bully.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,241 ✭✭✭Cody montana

I expect Melania to send out a tweet complaining about Trumps bullying behaviour soon.
    #BeBest

I expect Melania to send out a tweet complaining about Trumps bullying behaviour soon.
    #BeBest
    Indeed. I had thought insulting children was off limits?

However he is great at projecting.
    Lying Ted, Crooked Hillary, angry Greta.

These statements all fit Trump better than any of the above.

Here is her reply...

https://twitter.com/GretaThunberg?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 6,914 ✭✭✭circadian

Funnily enough Roma Downey is from Derry and one of the very few people Trump follows on twitter. Strange world!

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Gwen Cooper

I couldn't see it at first. What a legend.

• Advertisement

Genius response.

To show how prediciable Trump is and how easy it is to frustrate him here is CNN predicting Trump being annoyed at losing to a 16 year old

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2019/12/11/politics/greta-thunberg-donald-trump/index.html

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement