Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion Thread VI

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

the senate won't vote to impeach; he'll then spin it as him being acquitted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭peddlelies

Get the popcorn ready :)

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-trump-impeachment-whitehouse/trump-to-address-impeachment-charges-in-u-s-senate-trial-white-house-idUSKBN1YE1VH

"WASHINGTON (Reuters) - President Donald Trump will address the two “baseless” impeachment charges Democrats presented on Tuesday during the U.S. Senate trial phase of the proceedings, the White House said.

“The President will address these false charges in the Senate and expects to be fully exonerated, because he did nothing wrong,” White House Press Secretary Stephanie Grisham said in a statement."

• Registered Users Posts: 15,523 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

So, does Trump go down as the 4th President to be brought up on Impeachment?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,091 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Leroy42 wrote: »

3rd, I think. Nixon resigned before the House voted on impeachment. Johnson and Clinton were tried in the Senate and acquitted. Trump will likely be tried in the Senate as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,650 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Leroy42 wrote: »

Yes forth although not including trump only two have had a trial in the US senate. Nixon would have had one he not resigned.

Andrew Johnson in the 1860/70s survived by one vote in the senate so that's the closest it's ever come to removing a president from office by impeachment on eleven article of impeachment, Nixon would have had three had it gone through(only three passed out of five I think it was) ,and Clinton had two(out of three or four) and trump has two. Clinton I think got to a 50/50 split on one of the article of impeachment so that's the closest a modern US president has gotten to being impeached.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,072 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

I think they probably should have dragged it out a bit longer, but I guess political calculus has been considered by better people than me at it. He gets cleared early next year by the senate and he rides the exonerated totally of the biased witch-hunt blah blah bull**** all the way to the election.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 19,143 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

https://twitter.com/eliehonig/status/1204456422077083649?s=19

Who the hell offered to bribe him?

Surely the feds know?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,022 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

I know that the Senate gets to make its own rules with respect to the trial. Would the "Prosecution" be able to call from Trump to testify, and would he be mandated to appear?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

I know that the Senate gets to make its own rules with respect to the trial. Would the "Prosecution" be able to call from Trump to testify, and would he be mandated to appear?

In the normal course of events you'd assume that he would appear , but given all that has happened so far he might decide not to.

I'm not sure how the process works in terms of who has the ability to issue subpoenas in the Senate , if McConnell (or the GOP side of the senate) are involved , it would be a huge call if issued a subpoena.

Hard for them to force the Biden, Schiff and the Whistleblower to appear if they allow Trump refuse to testify.

If he does appear I expect the following to happen.

He will answer every softball setup question from the defence council which will allow him a pulpit to talk about "deep state conspiracies" but he will claim executive privilege for every prosecution question..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,022 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    In the normal course of events you'd assume that he would appear , but given all that has happened so far he might decide not to.

I'm not sure how the process works in terms of who has the ability to issue subpoenas in the Senate , if McConnell (or the GOP side of the senate) are involved , it would be a huge call if issued a subpoena.

Hard for them to force the Biden, Schiff and the Whistleblower to appear if they allow Trump refuse to testify.

If he does appear I expect the following to happen.

He will answer every softball setup question from the defence council which will allow him a pulpit to talk about "deep state conspiracies" but he will claim executive privilege for every prosecution question..

Given the rumours about his inability to refrain from lying under preparation from his counsel during the Mueller investigation, it would certainly have potential for fireworks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,565 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

That could depend on the person in the chair of the impeachment hearing, the Chief Justice of the US. He would have an input on the rules of any impeachment procedure to prevent subversion of the trial, also ultimate decision on who could and couldn't be called to testify before the hearing. I don't think he would find it acceptable for Don Trump to ignore a directive to appear and provide documents to the trial, even if Don could not be obliged to testify. Given that the senators are sitting en bloc as the jury, I don't think any sitting Senator could be called away from that duty there to give evidence on the issue and yet be a party to the decision. None of the senators are sitting as judge there.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

aloyisious wrote: »
    That could depend on the person in the chair of the impeachment hearing, the Chief Justice of the US. He would have an input on the rules of any impeachment procedure to prevent subversion of the trial, also ultimate decision on who could and couldn't be called to testify before the hearing. I don't think he would find it acceptable for Don Trump to ignore a directive to appear and provide documents to the trial, even if Don could not be obliged to testify.

I agree - I think Trump will appear , but he'll hide behind executive privilege for anything risky. He'll pontificate about the "Witch Hunt" etc. as much as Roberts allows him to but Cippolone (or however is his counsel in the hearings) will block any attempts to get him to actually discuss his actions .

If you're near a TV now, CNN are interviewing a gent, David Priess, who put together the rules for a senate impeachment trial. He's the author of How To Get Rid Of A President, which came out last month.

Incidentally, CNN is reporting that Don has warned Sergei Lavrov that Russia is to stay out of US politics. I suppose he had to issue the warning for optics give his situation now.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

McConnell coming out with what we all expected.

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1204514269078982656
    If you're near a TV now, CNN are interviewing a gent, David Priess, who put together the rules for a senate impeachment trial. He's the author of How To Get Rid Of A President, which came out last month.

Incidentally, CNN is reporting that Don has warned Sergei Lavrov that Russia is to stay out of US politics. I suppose he had to issue the warning for optics give his situation now.

No more GIF's please.

marno21 wrote: »
    McConnell coming out with what we all expected.

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1204514269078982656

Circular from RNC Head Office: Sick-notes and undertakers letters will not be accepted.

Incidentally Sergei Lavrov got the warning at a meeting in the White House today when he met Don Trump, and the warning was made public by Mike Pompeo. It wouldn't surprise me if the next trick out of the White House bag of tricks was a meeting between Don and President Zelensky before Christmas just to show how patriotic he is toward US national interests.

https://twitter.com/LauraLitvan/status/1204530758498635776?s=19

Absolute BS as normal.

You may recall Trump telling Putin not to interfere, and then having a good laugh about it?

I just have to post this.. I'm sitting here utterly flabbergasted..

I'm currently on business in Oklahoma.

Right now, I'm sitting in a restaurant having a bit to eat and 2 guys are sitting opposite me having dinner. Based on some of the overheard conversation, they are both in the construction business.

When their food arrived they both bowed their heads and said Grace.

The older of the two led the prayer which along with thanking God for the food also took the chance to thank God for President Trump and to ask God to help the Democrats understand what a terrible thing they doing attacking the President .

I'm speechless, I can't even begin to process what I have just seen/heard.

I guess this is the "base" we've all heard so much about..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,256 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Right now, I'm sitting in a restaurant having a bit to eat and 2 guys are sitting opposite me having dinner. Based on some of the overheard conversation, they are both in the construction business.

The older of the two led the prayer which along with thanking God for the food also took the chance to thank God for President Trump and to ask God to help the Democrats understand what a terrible thing they doing attacking the President .

Unfortunately, its not that hard to believe. Anyone that gets their news from Fox and Twitter could really only form the opinion that Trump is some sort of deity and that the Dems are nothing but pure evil. If you can spread misinformation on a large enough scale, it will stick.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,429 ✭✭✭amandstu

Sounds like some "Alien invaders" movie where their victims' brains are all green goo .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,256 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Trump is holding a rally/cult gathering in Pennsylvania this evening. It would actually make your skin crawl.

• Advertisement

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    Unfortunately, its not that hard to believe. Anyone that gets their news from Fox and Twitter could really only form the opinion that Trump is some sort of deity and that the Dems are nothing but pure evil. If you can spread misinformation on a large enough scale, it will stick.

I get that to an extent.. I can see getting into a heated debate in a bar or wherever and defending Trump based on the Fox news story lines etc., but this just breaks my brain.

This is a clearly religious person choosing, unprompted to pray for the President and seeking forgiveness for the opposition because they dare to oppose him..

Brainwashing, and conditioning are real. The right wing media has done a great job (for their goals) over the last couple of decades and it isn't a surprise at all that when all you hear is spin that you don't have a clue what is real and what isn't. There is surely a large amount in the US who genuinely believe Trump is sent from God, that he is doing a great job, that he cares about them and that he is constantly under attack from an opposition who are trying to invalidate what they, the American people, want. I have sympathy for those people. The ones who know what he is, not so much and the ones who perpetuate the BS I have nothing but contempt for.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Brainwashing, and conditioning are real. The right wing media has done a great job (for their goals) over the last couple of decades and it isn't a surprise at all that when all you hear is spin that you don't have a clue what is real and what isn't. There is surely a large amount in the US who genuinely believe Trump is sent from God, that he is doing a great job, that he cares about them and that he is constantly under attack from an opposition who are trying to invalidate what they, the American people, want. I have sympathy for those people. The ones who know what he is, not so much and the ones who perpetuate the BS I have nothing but contempt for.
    The funniest part of all that is he is literally the antithesis of anything from religion. He's literally the product of the seven deadly sins.

The funniest part of all that is he is literally the antithesis of anything from religion. He's literally the product of the seven deadly sins.

Yeah but those ultra religious types tend to be pretty good at cognitive dissonance tbf so...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,369 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

There are those prosperity gospel types. Trump will be wealthy and powerful because God is on his side.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭serfboard

Have you not heard? Trump is the imperfect vessel, paving the way for the real man of God - Mike Pence.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,642 ✭✭✭eire4

A few years ago I was in Oklahoma City to play a game and I was out for dinner with a team mate of mine and his parents who had flown in for the game. We are minding our own business when 2 people approached our table and told us that they were listening to us talking and that we needed to accept Jesus Christ as our lord and saviour. We politely told them we were having a private dinner and did not want to talk with them. To which the started very loudly telling us what horrible people we were and how we were going to hell. I will never forget the whole scene it was just crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,642 ✭✭✭eire4

kowloon wrote: »
    There are those prosperity gospel types. Trump will be wealthy and powerful because God is on his side.

Yes one of the classic lines to justify the super wealthy just gobbling up everything and the resultant massive income inequality. The same people tend to push out the corollary that well the poor are all lazy and that is why they are and deserve to be poor.

eire4 wrote: »
    The same people tend to push out the corollary that well the poor are all lazy and that is why they are and deserve to be poor.

There are Trump supporters on here who spout the same belief!!

I have to say, with the way the impeachment is going and in particular, how Barr is behaving, I'm exhausted by the clear injustice and so many people not giving a sh1t.

I understand that parties lie to ensure re- election but the willingness to lie so blatantly that black is white with the I.G. report, to allow foreign interference in the election, and when it comes to the vote in the Senate, as sure as we are that will occur, not to convict on the grounds of obstruction alone is a harrowing development. It destroys oversight by Congress for all future presidents.

I believe that the *real* Trump is the Trump at the rallies, unleashed. He calls the FBI scum, he called Schiff a "crooked bastard". He lies through his teeth in the nastiest of ways. Here's last night's rally. Anyone who thinks this guy is anything but a sleazy, selfish, disgusting criminal lives is a completely different reality and I frankly will never understand them.

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1204553333123489792?s=19

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭jjpep

eire4 wrote: »
    A few years ago I was in Oklahoma City to play a game and I was out for dinner with a team mate of mine and his parents who had flown in for the game. We are minding our own business when 2 people approached our table and told us that they were listening to us talking and that we needed to accept Jesus Christ as our lord and saviour. We politely told them we were having a private dinner and did not want to talk with them. To which the started very loudly telling us what horrible people we were and how we were going to hell. I will never forget the whole scene it was just crazy.

Had a similar experience many years ago in Ohio. At first I thought it was some kind of hidden camera prank type thing but no, the guy was sincere.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement