Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trevor Deely case - new witness

Options

Comments

That's interesting.
    I personally believed that his body could be lying in the UK unidentified this last 19 years.
    Welsh authorities are going through DNA matching for such bodies, but if the Deely family have been through such process without any match then he is unlikely to be there.

Yes, unfortunately people take comments like yours from a few days ago as fact despite the "To the best of my knowledge " & "possibility" etc.
    Of course, your comments are nothing more then speculation.
    The last thread was locked and deleted for good reason, it had really jumped the shark.

This week the body of a man missing from Dublin for 36 years was formally identified as being in a unknown grave in Wales.

In the last year or so two other people that were buried as unknown in Wales after being washed up have been identified.

Obviously this is all due to DNA matching.

To the best of my knowledge the Deely family have no submitted DNA to the investigation, for the obvious reason that they believe that Trevor is still alive.

There is a possibility that Trevor's body is in the grave of an unknown in Wales, but that cannot be clarified without DNA.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,977 ✭✭✭wyrn

zapper55 wrote: »
    Mods can this thread be closed? If the interview with his sister does anything it shows the distress that these highly speculative threads have on the Deely family.
    It really is a double edged sword. The Deely family have been great with keeping Trevor's name in the public and renewing appeals but this then leads to talk on social media about the case. Anything new like AGS talking about credible witnesses and digging up an area in Chapelizod will lead to speculation.

The only positive I can see is the change in public perception in the last few years. It seemed that the most likely case was that Trevor either fell (accidentally or not) into water but with AGS getting the footage cleaned up and concentrating on the MIB, it seems the public are looking to identify him whereas previously he was sort of written off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭KWAG2019

I think it should be closed. There really is no thread without speculation.
    I agree
    This thread is a constant rehash of theories about his work, criminals, people asking why did so and so not notice such and such, etc etc.

I think the thread runs its natural course every few years. It's really just one more way of trying to get people to think again about the disappearance to see if anything turns up.

It is impossible to have a thread without speculation; posters try to look at fragmentary information and the human response is to try to see a pattern. When they hit the same frustrating end point that everyone else has with this case the human response is to look at other alternatives. This thread has held itself together reasonably well imho.

There is probably a good case to be made for some sort of overall summary of events and known/unknown to be created but not here. The IT articles are useful but every time the thread is restarted it will go through the same life cycle.

As Boards is a closed private system it largely governs itself about what it allows; I have said on thread already that I think wider society may have a different view and may have to weigh broader considerations.

The police are the investigators of this and we have to follow their guidance on what's relevant and not. It's worth noting that the key final piece of CCTV is in their possession and the public domain because of the personal effort of one of the Deely family. I'm going to wait and see if the "very significant" development of the OP has any outcome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 957 ✭✭✭80j2lc5y7u6qs9

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

https://open.spotify.com/episode/2z8OxYhERXgWZNztMXbxPz?si=ZTUqPCg0TmWAx1lafwfxMQ

I found this American podcast of the case interesting. The first part is good for establishing the facts. The second goes through some of the theories of what could have happened but again it's just speculation. The wilder theories like Alaskan hitmen are not entertained.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

She seems to be taking more of an issue with the banking scam theories and speculation which is fair enough and quite correct. She doesn't really go into the Garda theory and speculation of a chance encounter with a well known criminal operation and conducting business in the area.

I can't imagine how difficult it is for them. I'm not sure anyone here is trying to question TD's character or damage his memory but if AGS are following this line of enquiry and the media are printing it then people will speculate.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭20Wheel

zapper55 wrote: »
    Mods can this thread be closed? If the interview with his sister does anything it shows the distress that these highly speculative threads have on the Deely family.

My hole.

Im sick of this gatekeeping. I find it sanctimonious and disengenuous. Just for people who want to tell teacher.

If its closed here it simply moves to reddit.

Putin is a dictator. Putin should face justice at the Hague. All good Russians should work to depose Putin. Russias war in Ukraine is illegal and morally wrong.

20Wheel wrote: »
    My hole.

Im sick of this gatekeeping. I find it sanctimonious and disengenuous. Just for people who want to tell teacher.

If its closed here it simply moves to reddit.

And to be fair to boards they seem to mod a lot more than reddit. Anything goes there. Have a look folks for a list of possible suspects.

And to be fair to boards they seem to mod a lot more than reddit. Anything goes there. Have a look folks for a list of possible suspects.

Well thats the thing.
    We're being told we cant speculate about possible dangerous criminals in our communities.

I wouldnt know about this AW guy or the marioana rostas case, about what dangers lurk out there in my city if all talk was shut down.

Putin is a dictator. Putin should face justice at the Hague. All good Russians should work to depose Putin. Russias war in Ukraine is illegal and morally wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭TheW1zard

Interview up on playback

• Advertisement

Well thats the thing.
    We're being told we cant speculate about possible dangerous criminals in our communities.

I wouldnt know about this AW guy or the marioana rostas case, about what dangers lurk out there in my city if all talk was shut down.

AW and the Ryans are also being linked I believe as criminals who operated in that area at the time. AW is in prison now so not sure it's him. All the Ryans are now dead so this could have led potential witnesses to co me forward. Again pure speculation based on what the media have been printing.

I can understand the family not wanting to read certain theories but threads like these keep his name out there. Without it, you end up with just another missing person to join the already long list.

This thread is good at keeping Trevor in peoples minds

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

I can understand the family not wanting to read certain theories but threads like these keep his name out there. Without it, you end up with just another missing person to join the already long list.

This thread is good at keeping Trevor in peoples minds

I agree,keeping his name out there through these threads could be the breakthrough they are looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Fiftyfilthy

AW and the Ryans are also being linked I believe as criminals who operated in that area at the time. AW is in prison now so not sure it's him. All the Ryans are now dead so this could have led potential witnesses to co me forward. Again pure speculation based on what the media have been printing.

I’m not going to post potential names or speculate but regarding the one you have dismissed and is in prison

He only went back inside very recently for a very long stretch........

TheW1zard wrote: »
    Interview up on playback
    Do you have link? The only one i see is from 2017

Do you have link? The only one i see is from 2017

https://www.newstalk.com/listen-back

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

Text of Interview

The sister of Trevor Deely has said some of the online speculation about her brother's disappearance is "outrageous" and needs to be toned down "several notches".

22-year-old Trevor went missing from Dublin city centre on December 7th 2000.

He was last seen on CCTV in the early hours of the morning after attending a work Christmas party.

Over the weekend, gardassued a fresh appeal for information on the 19th anniversary of Trevor's disappearance - saying that even the smallest piece of information may assist the investigation.

Speaking on the Pat Kenny Show today, Trevor's sister Michele says the family has kept trying different ways to find Trevor but they keep 'coming up blank'.

She observed: "We've done a huge amount of work... but all that work, in a way, is coming to haunt us - it's really becoming a very difficult item for the family when we think about speculation."

Michele said speculation does happen in the media, but it's "rare" - suggesting that it's the online speculation that needs to "come down several notches".

She observed: "You'd want to read what people write online - it is outrageous.

"At some stage I do think there has [...] something - I don't if it's a ruling or something [like that] - that doesn't allow that occur.

"There's a lot of speculation around Trevor going to Alaska - that was the trip of a lifetime for him... He came home a couple of weeks prior to him going missing - it has nothing to do with anything."

She added: "There's lots of theories - [like] Trevor went to Alaska, got caught up in something and somebody followed him back and did something to him.

"He was a simple guy... he was an entry level IT worker. And [yet] people have him caught up in this banking scam... [or] that he was involved in some crazy scheme, and that's why he was taken. It's crazy."

Michele added that she's been rejected by multiple social media companies when she's brought the concerns to them.

She told Pat: "I battle a lot to get the right facts out there, but it's actually really difficult."

Michele said there have been 'hundreds, if not thousands' of potential witnesses with potential sightings over the years.

She explained: "You never know when you're going to get a story that actually is true... and it could be the worst thing ever.

"But we don't know when that is. As we sit here this morning, there is nothing proven... it feels like forever already.

"Trevor would never give up on us - that's our commitment. As difficult as it is to deal with the speculation... we won't give up. We have to keep fighting through it until we find him."

CCTV footage, which you can see below, shows the last known movements of Trevor Deely.

Footage of the rear entrance of the premises at 3:35am shows an unknown man talking with Trevor at the back gate.

This man has never been identified.

Trevor was last seen on CCTV passing the since-removed Bank of Ireland ATM on Haddington Road at 4.14am.

Around 30 seconds later, a man was captured on CCTV walking in the same direction as Trevor.

Gardat Pearse Street Garda station are appealing for any information that could assist the investigation into Trevor's disappearance.

Anyone with information is asked to contact Pearse Street Garda station on 01-666-9000, the Garda Confidential Line at 1800-666-111 or Crimestoppers on 1800-250-025.

Nothing about a new witness coming forward with info form her or The Garda

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,976 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

The more you would think about it the lads going back to the office full of gargle is strange. Not getting in and heading off again and remebering nothing about MIB. People here can argue that it was run of the mill stuff but have you ever gone back to your office at 3 4 or 5 AM full of beer?? Hiwmany here have done it.

Regardless of that we cant even be sure about the time line. Time stamps on CCTV could be wrong or inaccurate.

Its a case full of possible explanations and mystery.

AGS seem to believe ot was a chance run in with a criminal gang operating in the area.

Here is my take on this. The lads was in a long distance relationship (LDR) with a girl from the US. Whether is was BF/GF or not, he had dealings with a US girl. Remember he was 22.
    At that period of time I was also in an LDR. Phone calls were expensive at the time. I set the girl up with an email account (her first) specifically for this reason. Also the time difference made it difficult to coordinate phone calls. 9 hours difference from Alaska to Dublin.
    The girl I was in the LDR with only had access to email at work or Kinkos, internet cafes were not really a thing where she was from at the time.
    There were a few net cafes around Temple Bar at the time as I recall but they were still pretty new. And they would have been closed at 3am. If he was eagerly awaiting an email from a love interest, with a few drinks on him and access to email at work, I'm damn sure he'd have no problems justifying it to himself. He was 22 remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,566 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Maybe he was just recognised by local criminals as yer man who works in the bank. While having a few in bucks.

Marked as an opportunity for a mugging or other crime.
    Young Country lad, soft target, bank worker probably has a few quid. Few pints in him. They could have known his route. Seeing him regularly around their area.

So one stands by the pillar on wilton terrace, a point td has to pass no matter the route. There won't be any cabs, and he has to go home.

Another watches for him to leave. Calls the first guy. They've planned a point further along on his route to ambush him.

MIB steps out from the pillar sees its yer man from the bank indeed. Goes to the gate expecting TD to follow, which he does. Sizes him up with some muggers questions. You got a smoke? etc.

But its a bit busy on that corner for a mugging. Bank building, security.

TD goes in, MIB hangs back. TD leaves. MIB follows. TD turns down Haddington the plan is in motion.

The spotter has a car, he'll be in front of TD, MIB will be behind. They'll rip him off somewhere quiet along his route home. Then they'll hop in the car with tds wallet. And off away.

It goes very wrong. Well known to gardai locally they don't have the luxury of simply legging it in the era of dna/forensics. But they do have a car

Thats my guess anyway.

This is just hilarious. Grassy knoll.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭KWAG2019

iamstop wrote: »
    Here is my take on this. The lads was in a long distance relationship (LDR) with a girl from the US. Whether is was BF/GF or not, he had dealings with a US girl. Remember he was 22.
    At that period of time I was also in an LDR. Phone calls were expensive at the time. I set the girl up with an email account (her first) specifically for this reason. Also the time difference made it difficult to coordinate phone calls. 9 hours difference from Alaska to Dublin.
    The girl I was in the LDR with only had access to email at work or Kinkos, internet cafes were not really a thing where she was from at the time.
    There were a few net cafes around Temple Bar at the time as I recall but they were still pretty new. And they would have been closed at 3am. If he was eagerly awaiting an email from a love interest, with a few drinks on him and access to email at work, I'm damn sure he'd have no problems justifying it to himself. He was 22 remember.

It is generally accepted he went in for an umbrella. He may have checked emails as well.

Time for a FAQ!

He only read some emails as his mate working night shift needed 5 mins before he could sit down for tea with Trevor.

I do understand the sisters frustration re the bank thing. It’s been pointed out over and over that he was just an entry level IT lad. He was probably doing coffee runs at that stage in his career.

The Alaska thing was nothing really. He was been forced to use annual leave and his mate could get him cheap flight tickets. Some of the lads egged him on a bit as he’d met a girl from Alaska in Ireland.

He decided to head over but seems like the girl was busy with exams so Trevor just enjoyed his holiday instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

From listening to the interview it's clear his sister monitors online posts closely so just keep that in mind.
    Yes, continue to talk about it as it keeps the topic in peoples minds and it may help but some of the theories on here would puts the lads in the conspiracy theories forum to shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,098 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

I listened to the interview with his sister.
    Very good interview, she was very articulate about what were and were not the facts.

Very detailed and definitive about the lack of a DNA match here in Ireland or in the UK also.

John_Rambo wrote: »
    This is just hilarious. Grassy knoll.

Come up with a better theory consistent with what facts are available then.

Anyone can criticise. 'Poopooing' I believe its called.

Is it a fact that the MIB from the Milano’s CCTV was identified as the guy who hung out in front of his work?
    I read that on this thread.

The MIB in the Milano’s footage shows him catch up with Trevor as you can see Trevor stop just off the top of screen. He goes left then right and crosses the road.

The MIB is seconds behind him at that stage. If it’s the same guy outside his work he’s following him obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

tuxy wrote: »
    From listening to the interview it's clear his sister monitors online posts closely so just keep that in mind.
    Yes, continue to talk about it as it keeps the topic in peoples minds and it may help but some of the theories on here would puts the lads in the conspiracy theories forum to shame.

I am surprised that she does not take her complaints up with the Press Complaints Commission, as the article in the OP emanated from a media organisation regulated by them. I'd wonder which theories are permitted and which are not. Granted I'm not a family member, I didn't know him, but the only ones I thought were over-the-top were the suicide theories and the silly theory that a gang he'd encountered in Alaska followed him back to Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Hego Damask

Anyone got a link to that interview ?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

tuxy wrote: »

Yes. I heard the interview and the family are clearly upset with all the budding Sherlock Holmes’s on the internet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

Is it a fact that the MIB from the Milano’s CCTV was identified as the guy who hung out in front of his work?
    I read that on this thread.

The MIB in the Milano’s footage shows him catch up with Trevor as you can see Trevor stop just off the top of screen. He goes left then right and crosses the road.

The MIB is seconds behind him at that stage. If it’s the same guy outside his work he’s following him obviously.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe it was ever established that it was the same MIB.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement