Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Best Christmas Movie - Boardsies Decide

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭irishejit

Harry Potter...haven't seen the other one but Nic cage in an Xmas movie?

Even that short synopsis you gave seems a ridiculous premise even for him. Dam yanks taking huge liberties with old christmas stories

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Harry Potter, because I like anything Harry Potter...but how is it considered an Xmas movie?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Harry Potter, it's on every Christmas and has a Christmas scene in it, that's enough for me.

Especially up against that Family Man muck.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,358 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

I vote Family Man.

Nic cage can do no wrong in my books, yes I know he has made more movies in the last month than most actors do in a career, nevertheless, Harry Porter is not Christmasy.

Mick, can I join the AHPCMA?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

Harry potter

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone despite the fact I wouldn't really consider it a Christmas Movie - but so far its the first film in the competition I've even heard, let alone seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭NewCorkLad

Harry Potter

Just no to Nic Cage

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Harry Potter and the Philosopher Stone through 6-3 against The Family Man.

Kolido wrote: »
    I vote Family Man.

Nic cage can do no wrong in my books, yes I know he has made more movies in the last month than most actors do in a career, nevertheless, Harry Porter is not Christmasy.

I love Nic Cage too although he can do a little wrong in my eyes :D

Your in welcome

Round 1, Match 3

The Nightmare Before Christmas (1993)

64e11d231be66c51cfbd6913a029a4d3d09a34cb.jpg?mw=600

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0107688/

Jack Skellington, king of Halloween Town, discovers Christmas Town, but his attempts to bring Christmas to his home causes confusion.

Stars: Danny Elfman, Chris Sarandon, Catherine O'Hara

v

Four Christmases (2008)

four-christmases-1.jpg?itok=xpEtbMu_

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0369436/

A couple struggles to visit all four of their divorced parents on Christmas.

Stars: Reese Witherspoon, Vince Vaughn, Mary Steenburgen

• Advertisement

irishejit wrote: »
    Harry Potter...haven't seen the other one but Nic cage in an Xmas movie?

Even that short synopsis you gave seems a ridiculous premise even for him. Dam yanks taking huge liberties with old christmas stories
    Kolido wrote: »
    I vote Family Man.

NewCorkLad wrote: »
    Harry Potter

Just no to Nic Cage
    I love Nic Cage too although he can do a little wrong in my eyes :D

Your in welcome
    Stay tuned!
    :D

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Nightmare Before Christmas for me.

I don't really like either but have watched Nightmare Before Christmas more due to having kids that like it so it gets my vote due to being watched more?

Does that count?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

The Nightmare Before Christmas because of the music.

Nightmare before Xmas, it's a very different type of Xmas movie which is refreshing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭LadySkunk

Nightmare Before Christmas because it the best Christmas movie ever that doubles as a Halloween movie! :D

I vote Four Christmases

I'm sure I've seen it, but even if I haven't, I despise ANBC, that skellington just freaks me out. Unfortunately for me, I can see it doing well here.

A nightmare before Christmas! I love it. One of my favourites! I love Jack Skellington. He's a dapper old skull! And you can watch it in October without anyone complaining that it's too early for a Christmas movie!

Gonna put up the next round and count both rounds when I'm back from lunch.

Round 1, Match 4

Planes, Trains and Automobiles (1987)

rs-planes-trains-and-automobiles-20661100-179d-4dfa-816f-541265fcfe0c.jpg?resize=900,600&w=450

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0093748/

A man must struggle to travel home for Thanksgiving with an obnoxious slob of a shower curtain ring salesman as his only companion.

Stars: Steve Martin, John Candy, Laila Robins

v

Gremlins (1984)

60065?crop=16_9&width=660&relax=1&signature=ybuiyylYbDEQZGKjqv3ffAnhiS8=

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0087363/

A boy inadvertently breaks three important rules concerning his new pet and unleashes a horde of malevolently mischievous monsters on a small town.

Stars: Zach Galligan, Phoebe Cates, Hoyt Axton

Ahhhh feck it I'd have voted for any of these ahead of the previous matches.

Going with Gremlins though as I prefer it over Planes, Trains and Automobiles which is technically a Thanksgiving movie, not Christmas :P

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Gremlins, an absolute classic - one of my favourites to win the whole competition!

And in the other one A Nightmare Before Christmas, because its the more deserving of the two to go forward.

• Advertisement

bit late here to this

my first vote is for planes trains & automobiles, just because it feels more christmassy:D

I vote for Gremlins.

I really like train, planes....but is it a Christmas movie, also not a fan of Steve Martin. Still a great movie, but Gremlins edges it for me due to the theme.

Gremlins. Great childhood memories!

Gotta give it to the gremlins, great film

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭ZV Yoda

Has to be Planes, Trains & Automobiles.

Gremlins hasn't aged well at all, whereas Planes, Trains & Automobiles gets better every time.

Planes, Trains & Automobiles... despite being a Thanksgiving movie, it ticks all the feel good boxes of a heartwarming Xmas movie...oh and it has John Candy

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Late to this :)

I'd vote for Trains...eventhough it is possibly one of the most frustrating movies I have ever watched it has far more of a Christmassy feel.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Morpork

I vote P,T&A because it has more of a Christmas feel good mood for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,404 ✭✭✭✭sKeith

trains planes & automoboles is not an xmas movie, it's a thanksgiving movie, so it has to be gremlins as the only xmas movie of the two.

• Advertisement

Gremlins!! :D

Advertisement