Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Guess what Mad_Lad got this time?

Options

Comments

KCross wrote: »
    How much to extend the warranty?

Might be worth extending it anyway. It will certainly make the next owner feel more comfortable buying it off you if there is at least a few months warranty left on it, considering the REx has known issues that are costly to fix.

Then again you are on PCP so I presume you'd just hand back the keys and let it be the dealers problem?

I didn't get a chance to call customer service yet to find out, they can't tell me at the dealer seemingly lol.

I could hand it back and walk alright but I'd have no car lol and chances are that there'd be nothing wrong with by the time I have to decide whether to keep it or not.

If I was to change and there were issues they will use that against my deposit if there's any value above the GFMV, the only way if there was something seriously wrong would be to just throw the keys back at them and walk put the repair costs to another car.

I seriously got to ease my spending.......

I've nearly 75,000 Kms on it now and apart from some issues it's been pretty sound.

Lets see what is on my list.

Front Shock gaiters,
    Steering noise
    Door seal
    Window Wiper mechanism noise

Getting flashed regularly at night due to headlight glare, though it happened on the leaf too but not to the same extent. LED's do cause a lot of glare, the new street lights are terrible for this, they should have some kind of filter.

Bar the steering all small issues but repair bill I bet would been been 1 K or more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭ewj1978

Do they do the end of warranty check in BMW Ireland or is it just a UK thing?

ewj1978 wrote: »

No idea ?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

UK thing. I rang to get mine done and they said no.
    You can get a free health check but I’d imagine it’s not as in depth as the end of warranty check in the UK

• Registered Users Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Kearys called me for an end of warranty check (UK import).

• Advertisement

I arrived home with the 118i, 50 fecking Euro's of petrol, I was disgusted lol.

6.2 L/100 Km, might get 5.7 5.8 on a longer motorway run. I wasn't expecting less to be honest. I drove pretty normal to be honest. Didn't go above 120 Km/hr much except for a bit of overtaking.

Sport mode did change throttle response, but didn't make it faster. it didn't seem faster at all above 100 Km/hr the difference of course would be the higher speed.

Very nice interior, seats not so comfortable.

Steering has weight but feels artificial, I prefer the steering in the i3 a lot more. It's a lot more fun.

In reality how much more efficient would the diesel be, maybe 5.5 L/100 Kms ? don't think I would bother having a diesel if I had to make the choice however I would like more power. It does have 30 less hp than the i3 too which needs to be taken into account.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,250 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

I got an X1 when my i3 was being serviced. Feckin brick of a car. Couldn't wait to get rid.

The poor BMW guys must have thought it was a fine beast, they were asking me when I returned the X1, what I thought of it.

"Slow and expensive" was the answer, now gimme my keys quick please!

I dunno, is it just because I'm spoiled by 4.5 years of EV driving? Or is it really that crappy a car?

• Registered Users Posts: 65,148 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

We're spoilt. At least you guys got a BMW loaner. I had to make do with a diesel manual Hyundai ix20. Shocker of a yoke.

unkel wrote: »
    We're spoilt. At least you guys got a BMW loaner. I had to make do with a diesel manual Hyundai ix20. Shocker of a yoke.

Holy Jaysus ! :D

DrPhilG wrote: »
    I got an X1 when my i3 was being serviced. Feckin brick of a car. Couldn't wait to get rid.

The poor BMW guys must have thought it was a fine beast, they were asking me when I returned the X1, what I thought of it.

"Slow and expensive" was the answer, now gimme my keys quick please!

I dunno, is it just because I'm spoiled by 4.5 years of EV driving? Or is it really that crappy a car?

I don't know about the X1 but The 118i is a decent car however I keep whacking my head getting in and out of it and the pedals are too close together and I found it uncomfortable, then add to that a manual gearbox.

On the plus side, the handling is really good and the steering is decent, a bit artificial but compared to a leaf for instance, well , there's no comparison there actually.

The X1 might at least have some more space ?

I got 6.8L/100 km driving up, I blame the back roads for some of that.

It's amazing when you think about it, the i3 is light years away from anything BMW have on the road today. It's a shame BMW forced most if not all the engineers, technicians that created the i3. What fools. Imagine a 3 cylinder engine and that's it ? why not a 30-40 Kwh battery and Rex and put the Rex up front ? it would be much better than just 3 cylinder as main source of power, the only reason the Rex is gone in Europe anyway is because BMW wouldn't pay for re-certification on the 44 Kwh.

Imagine all they have to show today in their cars is a few plug ins and i3 for such a wealthy company ?

I just can't understand though, is the 118 meant for small people ? I'm 5 foot 8 ish and not slim lol but seriously, how do they expect people to get in and out of that car comfortably every day ? If I a short 5 foot 8 struggle to get in and out how the hell would a 6 footer + manage ? or maybe I am rather spoiled by the i3's spacious interior too and forget what it's like to drive a car that's so low to the ground but I can't remember whacking my head so much ?

The i3 is such a pleasure to drive. I miss it already......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,398 ✭✭✭Ryath

We did test drive the M Sport 118 and 120d autos when the wife was changing really liked them but the the trade in being offered was 4.5k lower :eek: than what we got in the dealer where we bought her car so was a non runner. 3.9% on pcp and there high GMFV would have added to the cost. Good chance in 3 years we would have had very little equity in the car.

No issue getting in and out but the Leon FR we have is pretty low so we’re used to it.
    Would have liked the i3 myself but she just can’t get past the looks. If I could get her to actually drive it maybe she’d come around, we did have a rental one for a few days in Holland driving it there got me over the looks!

Had an X1 118d for two days before and yes it is shocking it handles like space hopper. Couldn’t wait to leave it back to the dealer.

Ryath wrote: »
    We did test drive the M Sport 118 and 120d autos when the wife was changing really liked them but the the trade in being offered was 4.5k lower :eek: than what we got in the dealer where we bought her car so was a non runner. 3.9% on pcp and there high GMFV would have added to the cost. Good chance in 3 years we would have had very little equity in the car.

No issue getting in and out but the Leon FR we have is pretty low so we’re used to it.
    Would have liked the i3 myself but she just can’t get past the looks. If I could get her to actually drive it maybe she’d come around, we did have a rental one for a few days in Holland driving it there got me over the looks!

Had an X1 118d for two days before and yes it is shocking it handles like space hopper. Couldn’t wait to leave it back to the dealer.

A high GFMV is there to reduce monthly payments and also tempt you into another car, remember the dealer has made his money on the car the day you sign the paperwork so he will make money on it and also get another brand new one out of you whether you get a new car at year 3 or not.

A Low GFMV can also mean that you pay more per month in order to get more deposit at the end which you will be paying for regardless.

That deposit you may or may not get , don't kid yourself, you're paying for it.

In my case on the 2015 Leaf I had nothing, nor was I expecting anything, the key for me was not paying the full amount for the car, and I didn't, that 9 or so thousand euro went into the deposit on the i3.

If the leaf had dropped further in value it wouldn't have effected me , that's why I went with PCP in the first place, I wasn't sure what the value would be in 3 years.

It was without doubt the test drive that made me buy the i3.

I didn't whack my head getting into the car at lunch today lol, guess I'm getting more used to restricted access lol.

It's amazing when you think about it, the i3 is light years away from anything BMW have on the road today. It's a shame BMW forced most if not all the engineers, technicians that created the i3. What fools.

That was down to one man, dr Harald Krüger, the CEO appointed just after the i3 was launched. He didn't want to know about electrification

BMW could have been right up there now, perhaps having bought Tesla along the way

It is amazing how one man in industry (so not a dictator, a politician, a world leader) can have such a negative impact

That was down to one man, dr Harald Krüger, the CEO appointed just after the i3 was launched. He didn't want to know about electrification

BMW could have been right up there now, perhaps having bought Tesla along the way

It is amazing how one man in industry (so not a dictator, a politician, a world leader) can have such a negative impact

Yeah but to be honest all they care about is profit like the majority of companies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

Reminds me of this guy, put tel in petrol and CFS in fridges.
    https://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Midgley

Yeah but to be honest all they care about is profit like the majority of companies.

Companies need to maximize profits. Not maximizing next quarter's profit though, but maximizing the net present value of all future profits

Perhaps Krüger didn't grasp this concept. He's more of an academic than a businessman. And clearly not a visionary. BMW could have been on the way to becoming the worlds biggest automaker at this stage had they gone full steam further ahead in 2014. Possibly very hard for even VAG to have fenced them off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Mike9832

Companies need to maximize profits. Not maximizing next quarter's profit though, but maximizing the net present value of all future profits

Perhaps Krüger didn't grasp this concept. He's more of an academic than a businessman. And clearly not a visionary. BMW could have been on the way to becoming the worlds biggest automaker at this stage had they gone full steam further ahead in 2014. Possibly very hard for even VAG to have fenced them off.

They still can

No boat has sailed yet

EVs are simple to make, just need batteries

A company like Tesla could never have built ice cars and competed with them

BMW and companies like it can build incredible EVs if they choose

Mike9832 wrote: »
    They still can

BMW and companies like it can build incredible EVs if they choose

They probably will when they can get a decent supply of batteries. They will bring out expensive electric cars first so demand won't be high enough that it might interfere with production.

It will be tough for BMW to make electrics and make profit like they can from ICE cars at this time.

I get my i3 back this afternoon, can't wait lol.

Now I'm used to the 118i I'm rather fond of it, it handles great and the suspension is better than the i3, the i3's low centre of gravity gives it great handling , but it's certainly not as stable as the 118i, it's more firm yes but not uncomfortable, I do like it, hardly any body role at all.

The i3 bounces a lot , very springy by comparison but it's still a lot of fun. The i3s low centre of gravity certainly helps with the handling but there are times you think it's going to flip over, and I certainly don't get that feeling with the 118i, of course the i3 won't flip over but it doesn't give you the level of confidence the 118 does if that makes sense ?

If the 118i had the i3 drivetrain it would be a lot better to drive, the manual box is tiresome to drive because the 118i needs to use that gearbox. Of course the 118i is a lot faster on the motorway helped by the gearbox electrics just don't have.

If the i3 S had a similar suspension as the 118i it would be amazing altogether.

Couple of things that bug me, it's a bit too low down for getting in and out, you really only appreciate the i3's height when you drive it.

The pedals are too close together and it can be uncomfortable.

I guess I'd be more of a 3 series Man lol.

But the car is a lot of fun on back roads and it certainly won't disappoint your average driver that likes a car that really is great to drive if you're used to an ICE.

Fuel economy, oh dear, average in the 270 odd kms I've driven it is 8.9 L/100 Km trying to drive it like I drive the i3, yes I did drive it quite hard.

I should estimate a good 6-6.2 Litres /100 Km would be a good estimate of average economy to expect from your average Irish motorist.

That's shocking in this day and age. 8.9 L/100 km is 30 Mpg Imp but I do stress that was driving the car very hard.

6.2 L/00 km would be 45.56 Mpg. A diesel might be 50 - 55 Mpg.

In all he years the ICE is around that's bad.

Surely BMW could have a 118 electric ? surely it wouldn't be too difficult ? but I guess range, recharge times are still a big issue for people but at least give them the option, a 60 Kwh 300 Hp AWD and 150 Kw charging lol.

I didn't get the car back, seemingly a nut seized on one of the shocks so they have to replace it which will take a day or 2.

They took the 118i I had and gave me another more basic 118i, lucky me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

I emailed BMW uk the other day to get nox figures for three types of cars , years and exact models described....i also asked if warranty would be covered in ireland if bought car off their dea,erships and brought it here...got the reply below whcih i think is very ****ty:

Thanks for your email about Nox measurements for 3 BMW’s.

"So that I can look into this for you, can you please provide the registration and chassis numbers of the BMW’s mentioned for me to retrieve the Nox measurements of each vehicle. If you don’t have this then please get in contact with our Homologation department directly at eccoc@bmw.co.uk - they’ll be able to assist you further.

In regards to BMW warranty, BMW UK will not be able to honor this as it will not be valid in Ireland. If you were to purchase warranty for the above vehicles, then this will be a duration of 1 year in the UK.

I hope this was helpful and I look forward to your reply. In the meantime if there is anything else then please let me know.

Kind regards

*****(name hidden)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭ewj1978

well thats poppycock of the highest order, as I've had the fuel sensor done on my I3 that had a UK warranty. They're still in the EU so therefore it applies to all EU countries.

I got the i3 back, steering exactly the same, I even had a colleague in the car when I came back and heard the noise.

Don't know if the shock gaiters were replaced, I'll check tomorrow, the "E-Drive" badge wasn't replaced but left in a plastic bag on the dash.

The door seal was replaced. Noise in the wipers is still there, they said it's the wipers haha, when I had the car in for service in January they told me the noise in the steering is most likely caused by worn tyres lol.

The warranty is up in February and I bet if I went in they'd find plenty wrong so they could give me a nice bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

well thats poppycock of the highest order, as I've had the fuel sensor done on my I3 that had a UK warranty. They're still in the EU so therefore it applies to all EU countries.

Yea the lazy bitch wouldn’t even try to give me the nox figures either... gona be some fun tryin to get those details next year from many a dealer i bet

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭zoom_cool

I got the i3 back, steering exactly the same, I even had a colleague in the car when I came back and heard the noise.

Don't know if the shock gaiters were replaced, I'll check tomorrow, the "E-Drive" badge wasn't replaced but left in a plastic bag on the dash.

The door seal was replaced. Noise in the wipers is still there, they said it's the wipers haha, when I had the car in for service in January they told me the noise in the steering is most likely caused by worn tyres lol.

The warranty is up in February and I bet if I went in they'd find plenty wrong so they could give me a nice bill.

I got my steering fixed in Joe Duffys on North side they had the cars for a few days but sorted it they also replaced my Edrive badge but they actually put it on. Maybe give them a go instead

zoom_cool wrote: »
    I got my steering fixed in Joe Duffys on North side they had the cars for a few days but sorted it they also replaced my Edrive badge but they actually put it on. Maybe give them a go instead

What did they do to fix the steering ?

Was it the same crunching noise which sounds like it's coming from the wheels when you turn the steering?

I'm going to call Frank Keane now to see what their excuse is, I got there late yesterday evening and there was no one around.

I just got off the phone to frank Keane,

They Lubricated something, it's part of a process that has to be followed and they won't replace a single component, even if they know what the issue is unless authorised by BMW, they won't get paid which is fair enough.

Next step is do do whatever is recommended as part of the process, this could take a while.

this could take a while will cost me a lot of money in petrol.

FYP :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

I just got off the phone to frank Keane,

They Lubricated something, it's part of a process that has to be followed and they won't replace a single component, even if they know what the issue is unless authorised by BMW, they won't get paid which is fair enough.

Next step is do do whatever is recommended as part of the process, this could take a while.

If it's a known fault there should be some information available online regarding what cures it. If you can find out the ultimate fix, you should make contact with BMW Ireland and demand the repair to be covered at the dealership.

• Advertisement

If it's a known fault there should be some information available online regarding what cures it. If you can find out the ultimate fix, you should make contact with BMW Ireland and demand the repair to be covered at the dealership.

They won't fix anything if it's not part of the process, they put lube on something, what next I don't know. They will try everything they can to ensure the fix is the cheapest to BMW.

Next time it goes in will be January and If I hear any noise when I pick it up they can keep it.

At least Toyota do recalls , BMW don't or very rarely, they are hard pressed to fix burning cars ffs knowingly putting People's lives including Children at risk. I wouldn't like to have that on my conscience.

Advertisement