Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Guess what Mad_Lad got this time?

Options

Comments

rocky wrote: »
    Is the i3 a bit unstable at motorway speeds? I've seen mention of it a few times, latest by Bjorn. Due to low(ish) weight, is it more affected by cross winds? or what's the story.

Indeed it blows around a bit but that doesn’t stop me setting the cruise at 140 !

It’s so much fun that that doesn’t bother me, I guess I’m used to it by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

, is it more affected by cross winds? or what's the story.

Definitely. I drive a motorway section that crosses an estuary so prone to cross winds and there can be a significant pull. Now it probably feels worse than it is due to the sensitive steering but still a bit alarming the first time it happens. On the positive side it cuts through surface water no bother.

KCross wrote: »
    Thats not normal though... or is it for i3's?

Tracking should not really be "off by a mile" unless you are constantly hitting potholes.

It’s probably down to the way I drive it in fairness it begs you to thrash it about. It’s irresistible, so that’s probably mostly to do with it and back roads but it’s just so much fun that I can’t wait to get it off the motorway !

krissovo wrote: »
    How much were the tyres if you don’t mind me asking? The price looks cheeky from the dealer. Also I assume any decent tyre place could do the tracking with the right kit

I paid 281 delivered on eiretyres, 20 to fit and 50 tracking. Not bad really for 67,500 kms considering the way I drive it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

Is the i3 a bit unstable at motorway speeds? I've seen mention of it a few times, latest by Bjorn. Due to low(ish) weight, is it more affected by cross winds? or what's the story.

I’ve never had an issue with the i3S on motorways, even when breezy.
    It’s never felt especially twitchy.
    Suspension is different to the standard i3 though, slightly lower, stiffer and a wider track.
    Don’t know if that would make a big difference.

• Advertisement

dloob wrote: »
    I’ve never had an issue with the i3S on motorways, even when breezy.
    It’s never felt especially twitchy.
    Suspension is different to the standard i3 though, slightly lower, stiffer and a wider track.
    Don’t know if that would make a big difference.

Yes it probably will make a difference , the standard suspension is surprisingly soft and handling surprisingly good , I can see where a stiffer suspension would help but as I said it doesn’t bother me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,436 ✭✭✭jhegarty

krissovo wrote: »
    How much were the tyres if you don’t mind me asking? The price looks cheeky from the dealer. Also I assume any decent tyre place could do the tracking with the right kit

The price is cheeky everywhere. I got quotes between €200 ~ €250 per tyre.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,201 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

I'm booked in for my end of warranty check next week.

The UK i3 group has a list of issues to check, I asked the garage to check and they refused.

Not to worry, I have an email from them documenting all that I asked them to check, and their refusal to do anything other than a standard visual inspection so if any of those problems pop up, I'll still chase BMW them after the warranty period.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

DrPhilG wrote: »

The UK i3 group has a list of issues to check, I asked the garage to check and they refused.

Not to worry, I have an email from them documenting all that I asked them to check, and their refusal to do anything other than a standard visual inspection so if any of those problems pop up, I'll still chase BMW them after the warranty period.

Fooking a holes..

• Registered Users Posts: 64,837 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Is that an official thing? As in scheduled as part of the normal inspection / servicing schedule? I must say I've never heard about it before.

• Advertisement

Can you share the list please ?

Don't be shy in naming the dealer, name and shame.

Can you share the list please?

Some of these I think are specific to certain model years but this is the full list.
    - Dampers and damper gaiters - The front dampers have been known to fail or have knocking noises and the gaiters or boots are commonly split.

- Suspension Struts - as per gaiters above

- Rear Right Suspension - quality enhancement is to check the rear coil spring for paint damage. Due to the geometry of the rear suspension, one of the arms can sometimes contact the spring and wear the paint off, which then causes corrosion and that affects the strength of the spring

- Drive Shaft Gaiters - These can also be split

- Tie rods

- Door Catches - Check that the upper door catches on the rear doors are correctly latching. It's fairly common for these not to click home with a gentle close and may require adjusting.

- Rear camera delamination - Inside the camera lens there can be flaking that obscures the view. It is fairly obvious on close inspection but an expensive post warranty fix as the camera has to be coded to the control system.

- Rex - Check oil filter for rust, there have been a few examples where the position of the filter causes the rolled edge of the filter to rust. In extreme case this caused total loss of oil and Rex failure.

- Parking Sensors - Check paintwork for early signs of bubbling over the parking sensors: they don’t work when bubbled not covered by the extended warranty

- Motor Mount/Bolts - Confirm no wear on these.

unkel wrote: »
    Is that an official thing? As in scheduled as part of the normal inspection / servicing schedule? I must say I've never heard about it before.

Yes it's official. I was contacted by BMW to book in for it. Warranty ends mid October.

Front shock gaiters are gone on mine, tried to get Frank Keane to call me back twice to get the car in to fix it but they didn't call back.

I'm not impressed and I'll let them know that too.

Yes it's official. I was contacted by BMW to book in for it. Warranty ends mid October.

So it's an official list from BMW U.K but not Ireland so they won't accept that here ?

What dealer did you go to ?

So it's an official list from BMW U.K but not Ireland so they won't accept that here ?

What dealer did you go to ?

It's not an official BMW list. It's a list compiled by users and listed on the UK i3 owners Facebook page.

The "official thing" I mentioned to Unkel is the end of warranty check up. Not the specific list of stuff I want them to note.

I have noticed a few issues now.

Crunching when I turn the steering.

And door seals are worn which I would not expect , the rubber attached to the drivers side chassis has a big hole in it and the seal on the drivers door is hanging out, the rubber itself also looks worn.

The Rex fan seems to come on when I pull away or drive around 40 Km/r strange.

It's going in a few weeks , hopefully all will be fixed.

Crunching when I turn the steering

Feel the crunch in the steering or coming from the wheels? If the former, did you check power steering fluid is topped up to the required level? Hopefully that would be it, you don't want to replace the steering rack. If the latter might be CV joints, not that expensive
    It's going in a few weeks , hopefully all will be fixed.

It's going, you selling it? Or you mean it's going in to the garage to get fixed? 2017 car presumably still under full BMW warranty?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

I have noticed a few issues now.

Crunching when I turn the steering.

And door seals are worn which I would not expect , the rubber attached to the drivers side chassis has a big hole in it and the seal on the drivers door is hanging out, the rubber itself also looks

Any chance you could post a pic? Just so I know what to look out for.

Feel the crunch in the steering or coming from the wheels? If the former, did you check power steering fluid is topped up to the required level? Hopefully that would be it, you don't want to replace the steering rack. If the latter might be CV joints, not that expensive

It's going, you selling it? Or you mean it's going in to the garage to get fixed? 2017 car presumably still under full BMW warranty?

Sorry typo, I meant going into the dealer. Yes still under warranty.

Power steering fluid is fine. Seems to be coming from the wheels, I've never heard a bad CV when the car is stationery so has to be the steering.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

Sorry typo, I meant going into the dealer. Yes still under warranty.

Power steering fluid is fine. Seems to be coming from the wheels, I've never heard a bad CV when the car is stationery so has to be the steering.

CV joints making grinding noises through the steering... on a rear wheel drive? :P

mordeith wrote: »
    Any chance you could post a pic? Just so I know what to look out for.

16wGMtS.jpg

If you look at the rubber in this pic you can see it's work and there's a hole in it, quite large, might not be too visible in the pic, zoom in.

rCJmles.jpg

CV joints making grinding noises through the steering... on a rear wheel drive? :P

No it sounds like it's coming from the rack itself. IF I pull on one of the wheels I can kinds make it out. If someone was sitting inside I'm sure it could be felt at the wheels.

Check PS fluid?

Check PS fluid?

Fluid is grans.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

it seems there's plenty of fluid with jprboy for the both of you

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

I am not surprised about the door seals, they look awkward and over engineered which always ring the alarm bells. I find the kids when hoping in and out the back catch the suicide door seal at the bottom.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭ewj1978

what actually was the original warranty on the i3?
    3 years on the car but more on the battery?

ewj1978 wrote: »
    what actually was the original warranty on the i3?
    3 years on the car but more on the battery?

Battery is 160,000 Kms or 8 years whichever comes first. Think that covers to 70% capacity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭ewj1978

Aye was thinking that. Obviously thats only the battery and not the Motor and High voltage equipment.

Advertisement