Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Guess what Mad_Lad got this time?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64,840 ✭✭✭✭unkel

REx would be RIP by the time you reach 310k km :pac:

unkel wrote: »
    REx would be RIP by the time you reach 310k km :pac:

Lol, don't know , it has an easy life to be honest. And I might, just might get the 44 Kwh S after, I'm really disappointed BMW only have a very minor extremely limited "limited" edition version of the i3 for 2019 which will be cosmetic only, no battery upgrade or any power upgrade nothing.

I hear the i3 will continue then there is rumours it wont, I just don't know any more....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

Lol, don't know , it has an easy life to be honest. And I might, just might get the 44 Kwh S.

I am under orders from my wife that if the i3 is announced discontinued that we "WILL" be buying a 120ah model before production ends full stop, no argument..... Its a me or the car situation:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 64,840 ✭✭✭✭unkel

She loves it then? :D

krissovo wrote: »
    I am under orders from my wife that if the i3 is announced discontinued that we "WILL" be buying a 120ah model before production ends full stop, no argument..... Its a me or the car situation:eek:

I think the way BMW look at it is this, while demand is increasing it will stay in production but if it drops , it's gone, forever.

Not sure at all what BMW plan, no sign of a decent upgrade, not for 2020 anyway.

• Advertisement

unkel wrote: »
    She loves it then? :D

If I am honest we both love it, 1200 kms completed between us so far and despite more negatives than the leaf we both have a fight over the i3 for our commute to the office... I have not won yet but I do get a spin at weekends:D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Is this the ersatz i3 thread? If so :waves:

rvEiI56.jpg

Cool 44 Kwh ?

Cool 44 Kwh ?

42 I think

MJohnston wrote: »
    42 I think

Is it the S ?

• Advertisement

Is it the S ?

No just the regular i3 120 Ah. I'm new to all this other lingo!

No just the regular i3 120 Ah. I'm new to all this other lingo!

Cool, well she looks great best of luck ! :D

Just wondering - has anyone an iPhone and managed to get in-car Alexa to work?

I've got the Alexa skill working on the Echos at home (and very useful indeed!). So I'm hoping the in-car stuff is worth the upgrade from an Android.

Just wondering - has anyone an iPhone and managed to get in-car Alexa to work?

I've got the Alexa skill working on the Echos at home (and very useful indeed!). So I'm hoping the in-car stuff is worth the upgrade from an Android.

Alexa is a pain, you get the BMW Welcome message every time before you can ask your question. Far more useful is the Apple Watch app which can kick off preconditioning, check status etc.

I use Siri to kick off Spotify and BMW connected as I find it easier.

No, you can skip the welcome message - I just say "Alexa, ask BMW what my charging status is" or similar and it goes right to the action. My Fitbit has Alexa too, so I find that really handy.

But I'm mostly referring to the in-car Alexa where you can press the steering wheel button and interact with Alexa on the dash display:
    https://techcrunch.com/2018/07/29/bmws-alexa-integration-gets-it-right/

The dream would be if the car could trigger my Philips Hue 'home' routine and turn my front door lights on when I get home at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

No, you can skip the welcome message - I just say "Alexa, ask BMW what my charging status is" or similar and it goes right to the action. My Fitbit has Alexa too, so I find that really handy.

But I'm mostly referring to the in-car Alexa where you can press the steering wheel button and interact with Alexa on the dash display:
    https://techcrunch.com/2018/07/29/bmws-alexa-integration-gets-it-right/

The dream would be if the car could trigger my Philips Hue 'home' routine and turn my front door lights on when I get home at night.

That in car Alexa integration isn’t supported in Ireland it seems.
    At least I can’t find how to turn it on.
    Maybe a UK import would still have it enabled.

dloob wrote: »
    That in car Alexa integration isn’t supported in Ireland it seems.
    At least I can’t find how to turn it on.
    Maybe a UK import would still have it enabled.

That article says:

"the update with Alexa functionality will be available for all BMW’s that were produced after about March 2018"

Does yours fall into that date range? Might need to have been enabled via dealer update even if so

Got the new front tyres on yesterday, 67,000 and something Kms.

Tomorrow I get the tracking done.

There's a full list of compatible i3 models in this article https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.pocket-lint.com/cars/news/148282-alexa-is-now-available-in-recent-bmw-and-mini-cars.amphtml

"i3 Series 2018 (Nov)+"

Information on all of this is very frustratingly limited though. BMW Ireland do mention it on their i3 product page on their site, but no details of how it works!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

I haven't looked into it since enabling/pairing Alexa on my '19 BMW but it works, as you say, from Alexa to the car (check my charge/range/locked/unlocked) but the steering wheel button displays the "check app" or similar message.

Be nice if it worked, as you say, to turn on driveway lights etc.

I'll have a look into it when I have some free time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

There's a full list of compatible i3 models in this article https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.pocket-lint.com/cars/news/148282-alexa-is-now-available-in-recent-bmw-and-mini-cars.amphtml

"i3 Series 2018 (Nov)+"

Information on all of this is very frustratingly limited though. BMW Ireland do mention it on their i3 product page on their site, but no details of how it works!

I’ve a 2019 model.
    Only option in my connected drive app hub, where you are supposed to link to your Alexa account, is to link to Samsung smart things.
    The start precondition, check range, etc with Alexa from echo devices works fine.

No matter what I ask Alexa I get the welcome message:mad:

For the Hue routine I use a hue motion sensor above my front door which has a fairly good range so as soon as I open my gates it triggers the lights which lights up my drive and triggers the home routine. I just need to find something that will trigger my gates now.

I would not rely on the car sending anything, every time I send a message from the car it takes an age. BMW connected is sketchy at best.

Lads this is thread hijacking.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,442 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Alexa this is thread hijacking.
    fyp

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭kennethsmyth

krissovo wrote: »
    No matter what I ask Alexa I get the welcome message:mad:

For the Hue routine I use a hue motion sensor above my front door which has a fairly good range so as soon as I open my gates it triggers the lights which lights up my drive and triggers the home routine. I just need to find something that will trigger my gates now.

I would not rely on the car sending anything, every time I send a message from the car it takes an age. BMW connected is sketchy at best.

Connect your gates button in your house to your alarm output and most alarms can use a text so eg "code Gate" - set this up within android or otherwise and you could use this.

As a project of seeing if I could make the gates open based on location inwards / outwards i had following for a while. Due to iphone not being able to send a none user input sms (you have to manually hit send)

IFTTT location send email to a sms website that created the sms and then told gate open.

As i reached the end of my road gates would open.

Next you know Alexa will be in complete control, gets hacked and caused havoc, just imagine lol. Brave folks you are.

Remember Alexa sent a recording to another persons email ? google it,

I got tracking done today. it was off a mile on all wheels just like last time so I highly recommend getting tracking done once a year up to about 15,000 Kms and twice a year for 30,000 Kms driving whether tyres are changed or not.

But, the good thing about the i3 is that the rear axle can be adjusted , unlike the 2015 Leaf which was hard on rear tyres !

• Registered Users Posts: 12,072 ✭✭✭✭KCross

I got tracking done today. it was off a mile on all wheels just like last time so I highly recommend getting tracking done once a year

Thats not normal though... or is it for i3's?

Tracking should not really be "off by a mile" unless you are constantly hitting potholes.

How much were the tyres if you don’t mind me asking? The price looks cheeky from the dealer. Also I assume any decent tyre place could do the tracking with the right kit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭rocky

Is the i3 a bit unstable at motorway speeds? I've seen mention of it a few times, latest by Bjorn. Due to low(ish) weight, is it more affected by cross winds? or what's the story.

Advertisement