Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion Thread VI

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Large parts of the world opposed the Obama presidency as large parts of the world regularly oppose US foreign policy.

Of course, but they didn't think he was a joke.

Frankly, I think if he'd have been followed by someone other than Trump, history wouldn't have been particularly kind to Obama, but he was recognisable as a functioning head of state.

Not this sham we've been subjected to for the past 3 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,140 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Gbear wrote: »
    Of course, but they didn't think he was a joke.

Frankly, I think if he'd have been followed by someone other than Trump, history wouldn't have been particularly kind to Obama, but he was recognisable as a functioning head of state.

Not this sham we've been subjected to for the past 3 years.

Trump is the legacy of Obama.

And for most Irish people, it hasn't been a sham. It's been funny and amusing a lot of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭Cody montana

And for most Irish people, it hasn't been a sham. It's been funny and amusing a lot of the time.

How is Trump the legacy of Obama?

I don't think it's been funny and amusing.
    Trump is a danger to the world, to the environment and to decency.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Trump has been coming for longer than Obama, let's not try to pin everything on him. Trump is only a symptom of a larger disease in the American political system, one that has been getting more pronounced as its politics became more partisan, and outwardly vulgar. I said it before, but the erosion of the Fairness Doctrine was a huge skewing towards the polemic that we see today.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,650 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Gbear wrote: »
    I think it's how to spot the most pathetic of people - being incapable of receiving criticism or taking a joke at their expense.

For one thing, Obama wouldn't generally, I'd imagine, have had the piss taken out of him, because he had pretty unanimous respect internationally, but if he did, he would've easily taken it in his stride, with self-deprecation, or turned the tables with a zinger of his own.

That Trump can't do that is clear evidence that he's fundamentally broken. Forget about being a good president. He only qualifies as human on a technicality.

I mean even George W Bush at the White House correspondent dinner(that trump doesn't go to) when he was president had the comedian busting his balls and him and his wife can be seen laughing at jokes at their expense. The second inauguration of Ronald Regan involved Don Rickles roasting the president and Regan was pissing himself laughing when the jokes where directed at him.

Clinton had the same happen as did bush 41 when Dana carvey did his Bush impression at the White House in front of Bush 41. My point is in the last 35 years US presidents have had the mick taken out of them and if they didn't like it, they at least didn't get the hump. Trump (and the people around him) seems utterly incapable of doing what his five predecessors could all do, which was take a bloody joke. There's was the late comedian foster brooks who's act was a drunk joking with the former VP Hubert Humphrey and he was laughing even though he'd lost to Nixon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭coastwatch

duploelabs wrote: »

Im expecting 100% tarrif on French Fries after this insult.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    I mean even George W Bush at the White House correspondent dinner(that trump doesn't go to) when he was president had the comedian busting his balls and him and his wife can be seen laughing at jokes at their expense. The second inauguration of Ronald Regan involved Don Rickles roasting the president and Regan was pissing himself laughing when the jokes where directed at him.

Clinton had the same happen as did bush 41 when Dana carvey did his Bush impression at the White House in front of Bush 41. My point is in the last 35 years US presidents have had the mick taken out of them and if they didn't like it, they at least didn't get the hump. Trump (and the people around him) seems utterly incapable of doing what his five predecessors could all do, which was take a bloody joke. There's was the late comedian foster brooks who's act was a drunk joking with the former VP Hubert Humphrey and he was laughing even though he'd lost to Nixon.

Heck there's the running rumour that it was ( I want to say) Seth Meyers mocking Trump at one of Obama's dinners that spurred him towards making a bid. Actually no sorry, wasn't it Obama himself doing his own skit? That'd make the rumour more credible. I remember the cuts to the audience, Trump looking utterly, utttterly ticked off. The room is laughing but he's sitting there with a flat, unmoving smile while his eyes burn. I also recall reading that at a "roast" held by Comedy Central, there was a laundry list of no-go areas comedians were told they couldn't go re. mocking Trump. The man's skin is paper thin, he must be a deeply insecure individual.

Itssoeasy wrote: »

Quite right to see the dinner ended.

America supposedly prides itself on having a free press and they had a party every Xmas together with the politicians they're meant to be holding to account.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭Christy42

pixelburp wrote: »
    Heck there's the running rumour that it was ( I want to say) Seth Meyers mocking Trump at one of Obama's dinners that spurred him towards making a bid. Actually no sorry, wasn't it Obama himself doing his own skit? That'd make the rumour more credible. I remember the cuts to the audience, Trump looking utterly, utttterly ticked off. The room is laughing but he's sitting there with a flat, unmoving smile while his eyes burn. I also recall reading that at a "roast" held by Comedy Central, there was a laundry list of no-go areas comedians were told they couldn't go re. mocking Trump. The man's skin is paper thin, he must be a deeply insecure individual.

Yeah Obama made fun of the entire birther nonsense. Pretended to release a video of his birth and the start of the Lion King came on screen. He did clarify that this was a joke for the benefit of Fox News.

Trump was not happy to have his racist campaign shown to be so idiotic.

@hotmail. The dinner hasn't ended. The president just stopped showing up and they aren't allowed be mean about the president in case he cancels the press passes. Not quite holding the man to account or a celebration of free press when they are far more restricted in what they can say!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,068 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Quite right to see the dinner ended.

America supposedly prides itself on having a free press and they had a party every Xmas together with the politicians they're meant to be holding to account.

The dinner hasn't ended.

And is it not funny to you from an Irish perspective the same way the Trump presidency is?

Bunch of journalists, having dinner and getting made fun of, and making fun of politicians?

Sure it's not as hilarious as deregulation of the energy sector, the damage done environmentally by the administration but surely it gives you a little giggle?

The White House correspondents dinner is actually a very good part of a free press. It also aides on showing that even though people often say things others don't like at the end of the day they are all working toward a common goal.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Advertisement

The dinner hasn't ended.

And is it not funny to you from an Irish perspective the same way the Trump presidency is?

Bunch of journalists, having dinner and getting made fun of, and making fun of politicians?

Sure it's not as hilarious as deregulation of the energy sector, the damage done environmentally by the administration but surely it gives you a little giggle?

The White House correspondents dinner is actually a very good part of a free press. It also aides on showing that even though people often say things others don't like at the end of the day they are all working toward a common goal.

Journalists and politicians are not working towards a common goal.

Journalists are there to hold institutions of power to account, nothing else.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,565 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

20Cent wrote: »
    Putin Trump is against NATO.
    To get him to be for NATO Macron said NATO is brain dead.
    Now Trump is for NATO because Macron was against.

Like when you use reverse psychology on a child.
    No you don't want a bath.
    Yes I want a bath.

I read Don's "upset" behaviour at Macron's brain-dead quote as Don taking it as being a reference to him at a personal level, after his push for a "more even" percentage spread of NATO's running costs. His ego doesn't allow for much humour.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,143 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

If Trump was offended by Boris and others at NATO, wait until he sees this

https://twitter.com/JoeBiden/status/1202401954644865024?s=19

Whilst Bidrn wouldn't be my preferred choice, I can't argue with his advert. It's all true

• Registered Users Posts: 14,068 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Journalists and politicians are not working towards a common goal.

Journalists are there to hold institutions of power to account, nothing else.

So not as hilarious as the environmental rollbacks or the public, rampant corruption. Cool.

They would all tell you they are working for the American people, that they are working toward the goal of making the country a better place, one through action and the other through holding that action to clear eyed scrutiny.

But yeah, not as much fun as sympathising with neo Nazis, I get it.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

So not as hilarious as the environmental rollbacks or the public, rampant corruption. Cool.

They would all tell you they are working for the American people, that they are working toward the goal of making the country a better place, one through action and the other through holding that action to clear eyed scrutiny.

But yeah, not as much fun as sympathising with neo Nazis, I get it.

So I'm a Neo Nazi now for pointing out that many Irish people find Trump and his craziness funny?

And no, journalism is about holding institutions of power to account, it is not their duty to improve society.

So I'm a Neo Nazi now for pointing out that many Irish people find Trump and his craziness funny?

And no, journalism is about holding institutions of power to account, it is not their duty to improve society.

Who said it had to be either-or, rather than both? Surely journalism, in highlighting (say) abuses or discrimination down the years against minorities or individuals, has improved society in their own way, through the decision to call attention to wrongs being committed in society? Simply journaliing the marginalised, humanises them, and in humanising them improving their lives bit by bit. Homosexuality (for instance) wasn't decriminalised in total because of campaigners, but also because the press reported these campaigns, or stories of inhumanity, and chose to highlight these folk as normal individuals suffering needlessly. A free press should be lock-step with pushing society forward, being our better angels when it can.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

In other news , it would seem that just like the "voter fraud" investigations previously more investigations trying to legitimise a Trump Conspiracy theory are flaming out having found no evidence to support the Trump theory.

Barr’s handpicked prosecutor tells inspector general he can’t back right-wing theory that Russia case was U.S. intelligence setup
    The prosecutor handpicked by Attorney General William P. Barr to scrutinize how U.S. agencies investigated President Trump’s 2016 campaign said he could not offer evidence to the Justice Department’s inspector general to support the suspicions of some conservatives that the case was a setup by American intelligence, people familiar with the matter said.

Justice Department Inspector General Michael Horowitz’s office contacted U.S. Attorney John Durham, the prosecutor Barr personally tapped to lead a separate review of the 2016 probe into possible coordination between the Trump campaign and Russia, the people said. The inspector general also contacted several U.S. intelligence agencies.

So we have the IG report saying that there was no evidence that the FBI or Obama were "spying" on Trump and now within that same report , John Durham also confirms that he can find no evidence to support any of the Trump theories.

Nice to see that the Attorney General now accepts the facts as borne out by evidence and will now just move on.

Oh wait....
    The forthcoming release of an internal Justice Department watchdog report on the FBI's Trump-Russia investigation won't be the last word on the matter, Attorney General William Barr has told conservative allies.

Long a skeptic of the Russia probe, and particularly the FBI's tactics to investigate Trump campaign associates, Barr believes questions remain about some of the intelligence and other information the FBI used to pursue the investigation, according to people at the Justice Department and in Congress familiar with his thinking.
    That view stands in contrast to what is expected from Justice Inspector General Michael Horowitz's report, due to be released next Monday, which is expected to conclude that the FBI's investigation was legally predicated, despite errors and potential wrongdoing by some lower-level FBI employees involved in it, CNN reported last month.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    In other news , it would seem that just like the "voter fraud" investigations previously more investigations trying to legitimise a Trump Conspiracy theory are flaming out having found no evidence to support the Trump theory.

I was assured that the Durham report would blow the Russia hoax open and show that the Russia Investigations were part of a coup against future-President Trump. An insurance policy if you will. I wasn't sure if I was remembering this correctly so I searched this thread for the word "Durham", and sure enough, I wasn't imagining things.

So, what does Barr do now? Try again but this time, appoint John Solomon or Sean Hannity as the lead investigator?

I was assured that the Durham report would blow the Russia hoax open and show that the Russia Investigations were part of a coup against future-President Trump. An insurance policy if you will. I wasn't sure if I was remembering this correctly so I searched this thread for the word "Durham", and sure enough, I wasn't imagining things.

So, what does Barr do now? Try again but this time, appoint John Solomon or Sean Hannity as the lead investigator?

Launch an investigation into Durham!

It's the only play left.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭not_quite_last

everlast75 wrote: »
    Launch an investigation into Durham!

It's the only play left.

I thought the next step was to say Durham is a never Trumper. Cause anyone who doesn't say what Trump wants to hear is against him.

• Advertisement

pixelburp wrote: »
    Who said it had to be either-or, rather than both? Surely journalism, in highlighting (say) abuses or discrimination down the years against minorities or individuals, has improved society in their own way, through the decision to call attention to wrongs being committed in society? Simply journaliing the marginalised, humanises them, and in humanising them improving their lives bit by bit. Homosexuality (for instance) wasn't decriminalised in total because of campaigners, but also because the press reported these campaigns, or stories of inhumanity, and chose to highlight these folk as normal individuals suffering needlessly. A free press should be lock-step with pushing society forward, being our better angels when it can.

Journalists can and do highlight issues affecting the marginalised but it is up to politicians to change their lives by changes in law.

Journalists are not campaigners. In fact, a good journalist could expose something affecting the gay community but privately hold homophobic beliefs.

As for the better angels thing - as this is an American thread, CNN's excuse for journalism is having a panel of 8 or 9 people discussing the daily Trump drama.

Journalists can and do highlight issues affecting the marginalised but it is up to politicians to change their lives by changes in law.

Journalists are not campaigners. In fact, a good journalist could expose something affecting the gay community but privately hold homophobic beliefs.

As for the better angels thing - as this is an American thread, CNN's excuse for journalism is having a panel of 8 or 9 people discussing the daily Trump drama.

I think the most egregious damage to US journalism is caused by the President repeatedly calling the press "the enemy of the people", or the WH refusing to hold press conferences for months now, or the WH's belief that lies are perfectly acceptable for a Press Secretary to utter, even when the people can see what is before their eyes but hey, that's just my opinion.

I think the most egregious damage to US journalism is caused by the President repeatedly calling the press "the enemy of the people", or the WH refusing to hold press conferences for months now, or the WH's belief that lies are perfectly acceptable for a Press Secretary to utter, even when the people can see what is before their eyes but hey, that's just my opinion.

But these CNN enlarged panels and exaggerated graphics does it no favours for credibility.

Fox and the others the same. No wonder they get such tiny ratings.

There aren't many defenders of the press in America the last 20 years or so. It's dire.

But these CNN enlarged panels and exaggerated graphics does it no favours for credibility.

There aren't many defenders of the press in America the last 20 years or so. It's dire.

Are they traitors? Are they enemies of the people? That is the claim. Not a graph with an axis a little off. Enemies of the people.

They hold themselves to a higher standard than Trump.

Have they reached the level of "fake news" or "alternative facts" that the white house has put out?

Everything in the US is hyperbolic - sports, politics, even f'n game shows.

The issue of ratings is a matter for them.

You complained about the state of the press. I'm saying that the bigger picture here is how the WH is dealing with them.

A headline from 22.05.18 - CNBC

"President Trump told Lesley Stahl he bashes press ‘to demean you and discredit you so ... no one will believe’ negative stories about him"

link - https://www.cnbc.com/2018/05/22/trump-told-lesley-stahl-he-bashes-press-to-discredit-negative-stories.html

• Registered Users Posts: 9,448 ✭✭✭weisses

Meanwhile .... Giuliani working on his own reality soap in Ukraine
    The trips were "organized around the filming of a multipart television series featuring Mr. Giuliani that is being produced and aired by a conservative cable channel, One America News, or OAN," the Times said, adding that the host of the series, Chanel Rion, joined the the former New York mayor on his trip and conducted an interview with Lutsenko. The paper said the series "is being promoted as a Republican alternative to the impeachment hearings."

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/12/04/politics/rudy-giuliani-ukraine-visit-interviews-documentary/index.html

weisses wrote: »

There are reports Rudy, after commenting twice that he had "insurance" if Trump threw him under the bus, was told by Trump to stay off Fox when Rudy called to apologise for the remarks.

He seems to have migrated a little further right on the TV spectrum

Everything in the US is hyperbolic - sports, politics, even f'n game shows.

The issue of ratings is a matter for them.

You complained about the state of the press. I'm saying that the bigger picture here is how the WH is dealing with them.

A headline from 22.05.18 - CNBC

"President Trump told Lesley Stahl he bashes press ‘to demean you and discredit you so ... no one will believe’ negative stories about him"

link - https://www.cnbc.com/2018/05/22/trump-told-lesley-stahl-he-bashes-press-to-discredit-negative-stories.html

Issues with the media in America pre date Trump. In fact it's part of the reason for the rise of Trump. CNN legitimised Trump in the campaign.

All for ratings and for advertising revenue.

I don't understand how Irish can defend the media in America. It's completely farcical for us. As bad as RTE is, I think it's far superior to the stuff Americans have to listen to.

Issues with the media in America pre date Trump. In fact it's part of the reason for the rise of Trump. CNN legitimised Trump in the campaign.

All for ratings and for advertising revenue.

I don't understand how Irish can defend the media in America. It's completely farcical for us. As bad as RTE is, I think it's far superior to the stuff Americans have to listen to.

Do you agree that the US media are not enemies of the people?

• Advertisement

Christy42 wrote: »
    Do you agree that the US media are not enemies of the people?

Can you not have a debate without throwing back some Trump rubbish?

You just ignored anything I said.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement