Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Healy Raes

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭Dual wheels

It seems no1 is linking these comments by D.H.R and Noel Grelish to their piss poor Dail attendence and expense accounts? Deflect Deflect Deflect!!!

Ara I wouldn’t be fond of drinking but when I go at it I like to have 2 pints and drive

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭tawnyowl

Graces7 wrote: »
    Danny HR back in the news with a repeat of what Coveney is rightly calling " dangerous nonsense" by seeking to allow Kerry rural residents to drink and drive. breakingnews,ie
    The same day there was this sentencing:
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/leitrim-mans-dangerous-driving-after-21st-birthday-party-left-friend-in-vegetative-state-964517.html
    Even for Danny that's spectacularly bad timing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

blinding wrote: »
    Kerry people are no Fools . The are electing the Premium TDs in the Country and with huge Votes .

The problem is that the other TDs are no match for the Healy Raes .

Ireland can only dream of 160+ Healy Raes .
    The only reason they get voted in time after time by the people of Kerry is, they work hard , and why would you fault the people then,

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Would you trust a Healy Rae on you Swing or Maria Bailey ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,297 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

I would think that if I was comparing public representatives to other people I’d set the bar high not low but then I think more of my country than most.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭Twister2

goat2 wrote: »
    The only reason they get voted in time after time by the people of Kerry is, they work hard , and why would you fault the people then,

That's about it

Imagine if we had a dail full of Healy Rae types, would be madness

Michael is a postmaster shopkeeper farmer and plant hire, Danny is a publican farmer and plant hire as well as being politicians hard workers

Michael is a postmaster shopkeeper farmer and plant hire, Danny is a publican farmer and plant hire as well as being politicians hard workers

I doubt many think they don’t work hard, that doesn’t mean they are good TDs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭Twister2

Plant hire is is a good business when you have power

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭SlowBlowin

Condensing this thread:

1. People in Kerry (in general as the votes show) think the HRs are great, are hardworking, create business in Kerry, look after the people of Kerry, meet the people of Kerry and break down the traditional barriers between politics and the people.

2. The closer you are to Dublin the more likely you are to hate the HRs with a passion.

I believe there is an element of jealousy, but it seems the main arguments are:

1. Expenses.
    2. Commitment to National affairs.

With regard to expenses there is criticism on here as to lack of attendance, and cost of attending. Both of these can be answered relatively easily, time & distance of travel.

With regard to National affairs, they vote when their vote makes a difference (time & distance of travel again). I imagine everyone on here makes the same decision on a daily basis.

Shouldn't the talk should be about how a TD should divide their time and effort between local and national matters, as opposed to just name calling of the HRs and the Bog people of Kerry ? Seriously - if you logically evaluated what your TD does for you and the country and compared them, using the same metrics, to the HRs you would be, more than likely, disappointed.

• Advertisement

SlowBlowin wrote: »

2. The closer you are to Dublin the more likely you are to hate the HRs with a passion.

Shouldn't the talk should be about how a TD should divide their time and effort between local and national matters, as opposed to just name calling of the HRs and the Bog people of Kerry ? Seriously - if you logically evaluated what your TD does for you and the country and compared them, using the same metrics, to the HRs you would be, more than likely, disappointed.

On point 2 this is a thing that’s peddled that it’s us and them, it’s divide and conquer and it’s nonsense. There’s no anti rural thing going on it’s just the world changing.

On the last paragraph they are elected to the national parliament to represent the area, not get things for the area. Also to be clear there are a hell of a lot of politicians also not doing their jobs because we foolishly keep electing people who are seen to be doing local things when they should be in parliament doing that job. Politicians have effectively taken a job in Dublin and a lot don’t seem to want to be there too much and I find that unacceptable.

Ok I understand where you are coming from, so to clarify you don't believe a TD should represent their constituents on anything other than a national matters, and not be concerned with any matters that only effect their county ?

From citizens.ie :

As well as work at the Dáil and on Committees, TDs work within their own constituencies. They hold regular advice clinics throughout their constituencies so that voters can meet them personally. Often they provide assistance to constituents with a family/personal problem relating to a government department.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

We should get some Nukes and let the Healy Raes have the Push Buttons .

We should get some Nukes and let the Healy Raes have the Push Buttons .

Can't stop laughing from that. I'm going down the pub, thinking of Healey Rae guided Missiles and how that could change the world...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

Voting for a Healy Rae is a one way bet.

If the votes are needed the parish gets a load of benefits and if not there are no consequences.

Make it a two way bet.

Close the schools in Killorglin charge €600 for the new school bus and say it was because they votes Healy Rae.

Condensing this thread:

1. People in Kerry (in general as the votes show) think the HRs are great, are hardworking, create business in Kerry, look after the people of Kerry, meet the people of Kerry and break down the traditional barriers between politics and the people.

I believe there is an element of jealousy, but it seems the main arguments are:

1. Expenses.
    2. Commitment to National affairs.

With regard to expenses there is criticism on here as to lack of attendance, and cost of attending. Both of these can be answered relatively easily, time & distance of travel.

With regard to National affairs, they vote when their vote makes a difference (time & distance of travel again). I imagine everyone on here makes the same decision on a daily basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭liosnagceann75

Healy Rae brothers Jackie and Kevin found guilty of assault. Sentencing December 6th.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,309 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Mod NoteMoved from After Hours to Current Affairs, please follow local guide lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

A Healy Rae, any day

Healy Rae brothers Jackie and Kevin found guilty of assault. Sentencing December 6th.

Will they do time?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,898 ✭✭✭cute geoge

This is a district court conviction ,where you get no defence to a summons ,my guess when this is appealed it will be over turned

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,353 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Real small town ballygobackwards stuff

“This is my town and this is my chip van”

Immortal words there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Love to see bullies getting done.
    Sadly be likely some small fine and a caution.

Ok I understand where you are coming from, so to clarify you don't believe a TD should represent their constituents on anything other than a national matters, and not be concerned with any matters that only effect their county ?

From citizens.ie :

As well as work at the Dáil and on Committees, TDs work within their own constituencies. They hold regular advice clinics throughout their constituencies so that voters can meet them personally. Often they provide assistance to constituents with a family/personal problem relating to a government department.

Sorry just seeing this now, what I meant was that TDs are elected to run the country on behalf of their constituents, local advice clinics are really just a way of pressing the flesh and securing votes. Dealing with a government department on behalf of a constituent for say issues with medical cards for sick children is a whole lot different to putting pressure on a local authority for planning permission.
    Taking a job in Dublin and not being there for a lot of the time because you’ve decided that being around the locality more is better for votes is not how we should let our Parliament be run. Again to be clear I think the dail is rammed with people who don’t do the job properly for a lot of reasons which is often due to party politics, something the HRs only don’t do because snr decided he was better out of FF and would gain more.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,856 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Real small town ballygobackwards stuff

“This is my town and this is my chip van”

Immortal words there

Lol.
    Bull McCabe for 21st century.

It's not even a town, a blink and miss it village.

Lol.
    Bull McCabe for 21st century.

It's not even a town, a blink and miss it village.

The yocals are all probably delighted the Healy’s Rae ran the English fella out of town

salmocab wrote: »
    Sorry just seeing this now, what I meant was that TDs are elected to run the country on behalf of their constituents, local advice clinics are really just a way of pressing the flesh and securing votes. Dealing with a government department on behalf of a constituent for say issues with medical cards for sick children is a whole lot different to putting pressure on a local authority for planning permission.
    Taking a job in Dublin and not being there for a lot of the time because you’ve decided that being around the locality more is better for votes is not how we should let our Parliament be run. Again to be clear I think the dail is rammed with people who don’t do the job properly for a lot of reasons which is often due to party politics, something the HRs only don’t do because snr decided he was better out of FF and would gain more.

Totally get it, you are 100% correct if a TDs job does not involve helping their constituents at a local level. Thats why I checked on Citizens.ie, which to me says that part of a TDs job is to help constituents at a local level.. so I am none the wiser, I searched for a better description of a TDs role, but could only find the one linked.

So the HRs dont just press the flesh, they listen and help. They make the trip up to Dublin to vote, with their and their constituent concerns on national matters, when their vote would make a difference. I think the make a difference thing is important, as most sane people practise that same rule everyday, yet still use it as criticism of others (if you saw a fully loaded lorry with a failed parking bake running down a hill, you dont run out and try and stop it, because you know your input wont make any difference to the end outcome). So many votes are like that lorry, so best avoid the expenses and time lost with a Dublin trip.

If someone can point me to a more accurate description of the role of a TD, other than the one on the governments website, that explains there is no local role then the HRs are in contravention of this as they clearly are a great help at local level.

Edit: Sorry heres the link https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/government_in_ireland/national_government/houses_of_the_oireachtas/work_of_a_td.html

Totally get it, you are 100% correct if a TDs job does not involve helping their constituents at a local level. Thats why I checked on Citizens.ie, which to me says that part of a TDs job is to help constituents at a local level.. so I am none the wiser, I searched for a better description of a TDs role, but could only find the one linked.

So the HRs dont just press the flesh, they listen and help. They make the trip up to Dublin to vote, with their and their constituent concerns on national matters, when their vote would make a difference. I think the make a difference thing is important, as most sane people practise that same rule everyday, yet still use it as criticism of others (if you saw a fully loaded lorry with a failed parking bake running down a hill, you dont run out and try and stop it, because you know your input wont make any difference to the end outcome). So many votes are like that lorry, so best avoid the expenses and time lost with a Dublin trip.

If someone can point me to a more accurate description of the role of a TD, other than the one on the governments website, that explains there is no local role then the HRs are in contravention of this as they clearly are a great help at local level.

Edit: Sorry heres the link https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/government_in_ireland/national_government/houses_of_the_oireachtas/work_of_a_td.html

This when it would make a difference vote is a nonsense I think, the numbers voting are often very low with so many not there that in fact if they all bothered to be there there might be a different outcome. I suspect that the website you linked just says what TDs do, i doubt there is an official job spec but this is the system we have allowed to build up as far too many people accept this as what we should get instead of demanding better.

This when it would make a difference vote is a nonsense I think, the numbers voting are often very low with so many not there that in fact if they all bothered to be there there might be a different outcome. I suspect that the website you linked just says what TDs do, i doubt there is an official job spec but this is the system we have allowed to build up as far too many people accept this as what we should get instead of demanding better.

Yes the government website I linked to does indeed just say "what a TD does", not what they "should do". If thats the governments view of what TDs do, then the HRs are doing it, so should not get criticised for expected behaviour.

I really have no idea on specific votes, so no idea, you might well be right I dont know. I think the only way you could know is if you were a TD yourself.

Yes the government website I linked to does indeed just say "what a TD does", not what they "should do". If thats the governments view of what TDs do, then the HRs are doing it, so should not get criticised for expected behaviour.

I really have no idea on specific votes, so no idea, you might well be right I dont know. I think the only way you could know is if you were a TD yourself.
    Yes it’s expected behaviour but that doesn’t mean it’s right. We expect this from our politicians, that’s hardly a ringing endorsement. I want better, I don’t like that our parliament is rammed with people who don’t do what they are meant to do. If you take a job in Dublin then you should be there when the dail is open. Clocking in and walking straight out the door with no intention of doing anything in the dail that day is to me unacceptable behaviour from an adult let alone a public servant.

• Advertisement

Yes it’s expected behaviour but that doesn’t mean it’s right. We expect this from our politicians, that’s hardly a ringing endorsement. I want better, I don’t like that our parliament is rammed with people who don’t do what they are meant to do. If you take a job in Dublin then you should be there when the dail is open. Clocking in and walking straight out the door with no intention of doing anything in the dail that day is to me unacceptable behaviour from an adult let alone a public servant.

So thats why I think a job description of what a TD should do is required. In fact I would say its essential to able to judge if any TDs behaviour unacceptable.

If the HRs are doing what the government says TDs do, then the local aspect of their work cannot be criticised, its just an opinion.

There is so much about government that has nothing to do with whats right/fair or just, "its just the way things are done". I agree with you an overhaul is long overdue.

Advertisement