Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why did Gardai destroy possible burial site of Irelands longest missing child?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭oranbhoy67

But has anyone actually said it to the alleged perpetrator and has it been said in front of others? Was he forced to deny or threaten legal action?
    I put it to him as was stated in the podcast i recorded it on video and have shown it too a few parties including the gardai

Legal action , a civil case is still a possibility

bubblypop wrote: »
    What's her reasoning for this though?

I think she would rather the guards do the job instead, she is very non confrontational

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Did you listen to the podcast ?

Not yet.
    Will do so when the house gets quiet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭g6fdyotp5nj2l7

Not yet. Will do so when the house gets quiet.

Well worth a listen tells the story pretty well I think

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Well worth a listen tells the story pretty well I think

I would imagine so but suspect there’s nothing new in it but a rehashing of what we have known for years.
    Wasn’t there talk of a Civil action being taken against the suspect a year or so ago?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

oranbhoy67 wrote: »
    only that one man said he was red VW bettle and only remembered/reported it 15 years after the fact , everyone else working in the area that day including that man initally said they saw 3 cars that day all of which were traced one of which belongs to the person we suspect

Did his statement to the Guardaí include seeing 3 cars that day?

He said he reported the beetle at the time, and later found it was missing from his statement.
    Is there some cause not to believe him?

I think she would rather the guards do the job instead, she is very non confrontational

But if she has made a statement, with actual evidence of who did it, then they would not ignore it?

bubblypop wrote:
    But if she has made a statement, with actual evidence of who did it, then they would not ignore it?

Ann was only 6 when it happened so she's not the member of the family that needs to speak out.

I would imagine so but suspect there’s nothing new in it but a rehashing of what we have known for years. Wasn’t there talk of a Civil action being taken against the suspect a year or so ago?

Going by your question above there would be at least one new piece of information for you in it :-)

Ann was only 6 when it happened so she's not the member of the family that needs to speak out.

No, that's not true. She is one of a few witnesses that were there.
    If she has actual real evidence, then of course it wouldn't be ignored.
    If it's not actual evidence, then it wouldn't be counted, but of course looked into.

• Advertisement

bubblypop wrote:
    No, that's not true.

What's not true she was only 6. And I still say she's not the one needs to speak out, in my opinion.

Did his statement to the Guardaí include seeing 3 cars that day?

He said he reported the beetle at the time, and later found it was missing from his statement.
    Is there some cause not to believe him?

yes he signed the statement that was read back to him and didnt mention anything about a red VW beetle

he said that when he realised 15 years later it wasnt actually in the statement that would have been read back to him and he signed that he went and told Marys Grandmother at her house in Cashelard

so he is saying that he visited Marys Grandmother in 1992 in her home in Cashelard to let her know about the VW beetle..

but the woman had moved out of the house and left it empty and moved in with Marys family in the opposite end of Donegal when her husband died in 1980.

His story doesnt add up in any way , the person fishing with him that day is adamant there was no red VW beetle & his family continue to say the same . the other witness who was working on the main road as a tree surgeoun has also stuck to his story of the 3 cars & no VW beetle

• Registered Users Posts: 33,158 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Couple of things for me.

1) is there an element of 'old Ireland' in all this? By this i mean a time when women done what they were told, the church was in charge, local politicians were all powerful? I am thinking how can a mother not want this all pushed harder after losing a child? It's almost as if it's a case of 'say nothing' or 'do as you're told'. Maybe I'm way off the mark

2) the ending to the podcast I found strange. They simply said if the mum wanted to know what Mary would look like today, she need only look at Ann, her twin. But then informed us that mum and Ann aren't speaking. No explanation as to why not. It's almost as if they want to add to the mystery.

theres no actual evidence as there was no trace of Mary left behind

but as the ex RUC officer says in the podcast that doesnt mean that the case cannot be solved

NIMAN wrote:
    2) the ending to the podcast I found strange. They simply said if the mum wanted to know what Mary would look like today, she need only look at Ann, her twin. But then informed us that mum and Ann aren't speaking. No explanation as to why not. It's almost as if they want to add to the mystery.

The podcast explained why Ann and her mother aren't speaking

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

Oranbhoy, IIRC Gemma O'Doherty had avanced the theory that a now deceased FF local politician could potentially have been implicated, do you personally believe that there is any credibility in this claim?

no offence folks but a couple of you need to listen to it first before asking questions that are clearly answered in it . one of you even reviewing it in some way or at least assuming what is going to be in it but you admit you havent listened to it ?

NIMAN wrote: »
    Couple of things for me.

1) is there an element of 'old Ireland' in all this? By this i mean a time when women done what they were told, the church was in charge, local politicians were all powerful? I am thinking how can a mother not want this all pushed harder after losing a child? It's almost as if it's a case of 'say nothing' or 'do as you're told'. Maybe I'm way off the mark

1) very much so

2) it went into great detail into why they werent speaking I thought

did anyone notice the priest totally contradicting Marys mothers stance that she was still alive? I thought more people would have picked up on that but it seems to have gone unnoticed or maybe im looking too deep into that part

theres no actual evidence as there was no trace of Mary left behind

but as the ex RUC officer says in the podcast that doesnt mean that the case cannot be solved

I haven't listened yet to the podcast, Will do it this week, but why is an ruc man involved?

bubblypop wrote:
    I haven't listened yet to the podcast, Will do it this week, but why is an ruc man involved?

I assume it was to get the opinion of a police force because the Gardai refused to take part

• Advertisement

I assume it was to get the opinion of a police force because the Gardai refused to take part

RUC?
    That puts me right off, I couldn't take their opinion as a police force.
    Maybe get someone from a different police force.

tdf7187 wrote: »
    Oranbhoy, IIRC Gemma O'Doherty had avanced the theory that a now deceased FF local politician could potentially have been implicated, do you personally believe that there is any credibility in this claim?

Certainly couldnt rule it out

We all know how Gemma has went but at the end of the day she has a video uploaded of Sgt Collins from the time of her documentary of him clearly stating that McEniff rang the Station and told them "it was hands off the suspect"

He believes its the same person we believe but refuses to take part in any future dicussions , in his words to me "he has washed his hands clean of the case " because of Gemma,
    but at the end of the day he might say that, can he just switch it off in his brain ? him and his collegaues were not properly trained for such an event which was not their fault but they also made mistakes in the hours and days after Mary went missing , crucial mistakes , he owes our family , & the Gardai owe our family & their decsion not to comment on this very fair podcast is yet another twist of the knife in this case and says more about them ( especially the Gardai ) than anyone

1) very much so

2) it went into great detail into why they werent speaking I thought

did anyone notice the priest totally contradicting Marys mothers stance that she was still alive? I thought more people would have picked up on that but it seems to have gone unnoticed or maybe im looking too deep into that part

Apologies, I caught up with it in work but had to stop and start it a few times.
    I didn't hear a priest at all, so I must have missed a bit of it that explains why Ann and mum aren't speaking.

All the same, strange that a mother and a twin daughter have fallen out over the death of a daughter/sister. If anything you'd think they would be on the same side.

I'll listen to the bit i missed and see if I'm any the wiser.

Didn't mean to sound like someone having opinions without the facts. Thought I had them all.

RUC?
    That puts me right off, I couldn't take their opinion as a police force.
    Maybe get someone from a different police force.

Im a Republican through an through albeit not affilated to any party at all nor have any wish to be, ever

the mention of the RUC usually turns my stomach

I never knew this man was going to be in it

he turned out to be probably the most well informed person on the whole series and spoke a lot of sense in the 2 short sections that he appears

our own police force refused to make anyone available to speak to one of the worlds biggest media orginisations on one of Irelands most infamous cases

they shamed themselves & showed themselves for what they are, a tinpot inept police force in need of a total revamp from top to bottom

That's shocking that the Gardai are more or less refusing to discuss the case with anyone any more.

Could Drew Harris not be approached about this?

He should be impartial and should be seen not to ignore the case.

he turned out to be probably the most well informed person on the whole series and spoke a lot of sense in the 2 short sections that he appears

our own police force refused to make anyone available to speak to one of the worlds biggest media orginisations on one of Irelands most infamous cases

they shamed themselves & showed themselves for what they are, a tinpot inept police force in need of a total revamp from top to bottom

You only appreciate the ruc man because he obviously agreed with your point of view. I'll say again, I haven't listened yet to the podcast, but I will this week.
    But sorry, I don't rate the ruc as a police force, at all. & I feel there should have been someone from a more credible police force involved.
    And AGS, Will not be involved in an open investigation on a podcast, they are too professional now.

I'll listen with an open mind.

NIMAN wrote: »
    That's shocking that the Gardai are more or less refusing to discuss the case with anyone any more.

Could Drew Harris not be approached about this?

He should be impartial and should be seen not to ignore the case.

This is still, AFAIK, an open investigation? Gardai do not talk about ongoing investigations.
    No-one wants to have adverse effects on ongoing investigations.
    There is a press office that deals with these issues.

You only appreciate the ruc man because he obviously agreed with your point of view. I'll say again, I haven't listened yet to the podcast, but I will this week.
    But sorry, I don't rate the ruc as a police force, at all. & I feel there should have been someone from a more credible police force involved.
    And AGS, Will not be involved in an open investigation on a podcast, they are too professional now.

I'll listen with an open mind.

mate im writing about this all day come back to me when you have actually listened to it if you want to discuss it and dont assume anything about something you havent even took time to listen too

the main thing I got from the RUC man was a great insight into police work

put your prejudice to one side ..AGS & Proffesional? you are having a laugh there

put your prejudice to one side ..AGS & Proffesional? you are having a laugh there

That's your prejudice right there

• Advertisement

This is still, AFAIK, an open investigation? Gardai do not talk about ongoing investigations.
    No-one wants to have adverse effects on ongoing investigations.
    There is a press office that deals with these issues.

yes the press office was contacted ,again go and listen to the podcast then come back you are making an absolute show of yourself now the Garda have spoke about this case on RTE many times with special Crimecall episodes devoted to it . that were so badly made that they were unreal

Advertisement