Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why did Gardai destroy possible burial site of Irelands longest missing child?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭oranbhoy67

new 7 part serial podcast coming out from BBC Europe on this case im glad to announce, I dont have dates yet but should be soon enough.. 2 minute trailer here .. https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/no-body-recovered/id1488484437?fbclid=IwAR3OAJ5tPHNQ8M6xEsmIxHUhLFZu8pfqQ2g-2UkV2A89FTyTO_GaYMkkAEM

• Registered Users Posts: 19,619 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Werent the Gardai supposed to be running a cold case review of this, did they ever give a report?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,318 ✭✭✭razor8

oranbhoy67 wrote: »
    new 7 part serial podcast coming out from BBC Europe on this case im glad to announce, I dont have dates yet but should be soon enough.. 2 minute trailer here .. https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/no-body-recovered/id1488484437?fbclid=IwAR3OAJ5tPHNQ8M6xEsmIxHUhLFZu8pfqQ2g-2UkV2A89FTyTO_GaYMkkAEM

Great news. Hope it manages to piece it all together and puts pressure on to conclude case eventually

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Werent the Gardai supposed to be running a cold case review of this, did they ever give a report?

no

which they are notorious for doing

they told us they were scanning the farmland were Mary went missing in 2016

nothing since

we are gonna try push for excevations of the whole area if we get the publicity that we hope this podcast generates

no

which they are notorious for doing

they told us they were scanning the farmland were Mary went missing in 2016

nothing since

we are gonna try push for excevations of the whole area if we get the publicity that we hope this podcast generates

yeah I noticed how they announced the cold case review right after the big protest outside Ballyshannon garda station and the subsequent increased media attention. And then as you say nothing. Nonetheless you deserve answers and not to be blanked by them. You should write to the Commissioner asking what is going on with the review, they shouldnt just be let away with announcing a review for PR purposes and then not reporting back the results of that review. The review was also announced under the previous Commissioner and we all know how incompetent she was, you might get more success now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,653 ✭✭✭chooseusername

Seven episodes , about 3 hours, will be available onhttps://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p07vf9qr/episodes/guide
    should be fairly in-depth.
    Even if it's all been covered before it will be good to keep the story alive.
    Don't know if BBC podcasts available in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 14,002 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Seven episodes , about 3 hours, will be available onhttps://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p07vf9qr/episodes/guide
    should be fairly in-depth.
    Even if it's all been covered before it will be good to keep the story alive.
    Don't know if BBC podcasts available in Ireland

I was able to d/load the first one so should be OK for Ireland.

I was able to d/load the first one so should be OK for Ireland.

all 7 will be available tonight 30 minutes each

if not available on bbc for us in Ireland it should be on other podcast hosts/apps online

podcast up to stream now, im just after listening to a download they sent me at the last minute , thought it was brilliantly made I really hope it catches the publics imagination

be interested to hear all your thoughts when you have listened to it all

• Registered Users Posts: 33,233 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I see this is now an article on the main BBC website:
    9th most read story.

https://www.bbc.com/news/stories-50404378

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

NIMAN wrote: »
    I see this is now an article on the main BBC website:
    9th most read story.

https://www.bbc.com/news/stories-50404378

Good article.
    I hope that this will mean continued interest in Mary Boyle's story, and that something will come of it.
    Poor little girl.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭g6fdyotp5nj2l7

It was stated during the podcast (in episode 7 I think) that is was within Marys mothers rights not to have an inquest. Is this correct would anyone know.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,107 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Would someone please post a link to the podcast here when available?
    Good on you oranbhoy for your persistence.

To thine own self be true

Some state of RTE when its left up to the BBC to cover this.

I did see a programme about this on RTE a couple of years ago, to be fair to them.

And it seems to be a case that will never be solved because, from what I am reading between the lines, family members know the killer but simply aren't turning them in.

Maybe I'm totally wrong?

NIMAN wrote:
    And it seems to be a case that will never be solved because, from what I am reading between the lines, family members know the killer but simply aren't turning them in.

This exactly, if the people who know won't speak out no amount of podcasts or documentarys will move this on.
    I'm of the mind that the best that can be achieved is a deathbed confession, and even that would seem unlikely in this case.
    How can anyone live for 40 years with what happened on their conscience.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

This exactly, if the people who know won't speak out no amount of podcasts or documentarys will move this on.
    I'm of the mind that the best that can be achieved is a deathbed confession, and even that would seem unlikely in this case.
    How can anyone live for 40 years with what happened on their conscience.

I was just thinking the very same thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 814 ✭✭✭debok

I did see a programme about this on RTE a couple of years ago, to be fair to them.

Maybe I'm totally wrong?

Did Gemma o Doherty not do doc on this before she went a bit wayward,?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,653 ✭✭✭chooseusername

debok wrote: »
    Did Gemma o Doherty not do doc on this before she went a bit wayward,?
    Yes, here and lots of other stuff back in this thread,
    it's been going for the last 6 1/2 years.

• Advertisement

podcast up to stream now, im just after listening to a download they sent me at the last minute , thought it was brilliantly made I really hope it catches the publics imagination

be interested to hear all your thoughts when you have listened to it all

It came across as a well treated subject and a good summary of what has gone on.

I continue to hold a different view to all those expressed in the podcast.

One thing I was left curious about ....... it is claimed by some that an 'unnamed' man is responsible, but there is no indication by what means that person had access to the child at the critical time.

That to me is a glaring omission; this causes that idea to be discounted immediately.

It came across as a well treated subject and a good summary of what has gone on.

I continue to hold a different view to all those expressed in the podcast.

One thing I was left curious about ....... it is claimed by some that an 'unnamed' man is responsible, but there is no indication by what means that person had access to the child at the critical time.

That to me is a glaring omission; this causes that idea to be discounted immediately.

Thanks for your honest opinion

Can I ask what your view is ??

you need to think a little out of the box to figure out who we think took her & how he had access to Mary

Thanks for your honest opinion

Can I ask what your view is ??

you need to think a little out of the box to figure out who we think took her & how he had access to Mary

It was stated in the podcast, IIRC, that a limited number of people were known to be in the area at the time.
    So one of those people, with the addition of the driver of the red VW Beetle, is the likely one.

Did the man you 'accused' drive a red VW Beetle at the time of the incident?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Maybe I'm totally wrong?

I’ve stated this before but if I was a family member and felt I knew the truth then I’d say it out regardless. I cannot understand the reluctance to do so because it would bring the matter to a head and force someone’s hand into either denying it or explaining their side.
    If it was my relative I’d certainly say what I knew regardless of the consequences. It’s over 40 years ago and people are still afraid to say what they know. That’s a disgrace to the wee missing child imo,

I’ve stated this before but if I was a family member and felt I knew the truth then I’d say it out regardless. I cannot understand the reluctance to do so because it would bring the matter to a head and force someone’s hand into either denying it or explaining their side.
    If it was my relative I’d certainly say what I knew regardless of the consequences. It’s over 40 years ago and people are still afraid to say what they know. That’s a disgrace to the wee missing child imo,

I have said it to the guards many a times, as has Marys twin & Margo , our legal advice was not to say it in public which Gemma O doherty has done anyways and what has it acheived ? nothing

I would say it in a heartbeat, its Marys Twins Ann`s wish not too, I have to respect that

, its Marys Twins Ann`s wish not too, I have to respect that

What's her reasoning for this though?

It was stated in the podcast, IIRC, that a limited number of people were known to be in the area at the time. So one of those people, with the addition of the driver of the red VW Beetle, is the likely one.

The VW Beetle is a red heron

It was stated in the podcast, IIRC, that a limited number of people were known to be in the area at the time.
    So one of those people, with the addition of the driver of the red VW Beetle, is the likely one.

Did the man you 'accused' drive a red VW Beetle at the time of the incident?

only that one man said he was red VW bettle and only remembered/reported it 15 years after the fact , everyone else working in the area that day including that man initally said they saw 3 cars that day all of which were traced one of which belongs to the person we suspect

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I have said it to the guards many a times, as has Marys twin & Margo , our legal advice was not to say it in public which Gemma O doherty has done anyways and what has it acheived ? nothing

I would say it in a heartbeat, its Marys Twins Ann`s wish not too, I have to respect that

But has anyone actually said it to the alleged perpetrator and has it been said in front of others? Was he forced to deny or threaten legal action?

• Advertisement

But has anyone actually said it to the alleged perpetrator and has it been said in front of others? Was he forced to deny or threaten legal action?

Did you listen to the podcast ?

Advertisement