Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why did Gardai destroy possible burial site of Irelands longest missing child?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,802 ✭✭✭oranbhoy67

bubblypop wrote: »
    That's your prejudice right there

any other opinons you want to impose on a podcast that you havent even bothered your arse to listen to and are such an uber republican you arent going to now because they speak to an RUC man for a total of about 3 minutes? as the Gardai were too busy to make anyone available. you are going on ignore you complete waste of time and energy

NIMAN wrote: »
    That's shocking that the Gardai are more or less refusing to discuss the case with anyone any more.

Could Drew Harris not be approached about this?

He should be impartial and should be seen not to ignore the case.

We are going to press for that now on the back of this

oranbhoy67 wrote: »
    any other opinons you want to impose on a podcast that you havent even bothered your arse to listen to and are such an uber republican you arent going to now because they speak to an RUC man for a total of about 3 minutes? as the Gardai were too busy to make anyone available. you are going on ignore you complete waste of time and energy

I don't think you should be disregarding people.
    I already said I will listen to the podcast this week, nothing to do with not bothering, people do have other things to do you know, like work etc.
    I'm not giving opinions on a podcast I haven't listened to. & I am not, ever, an. Uber republican.
    Don't make a statement saying gardai were too busy, when that is not the reason the were not involved in a podcast.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,991 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

did anyone notice the priest totally contradicting Marys mothers stance that she was still alive? I thought more people would have picked up on that but it seems to have gone unnoticed or maybe im looking too deep into that part

I did not take that from what I heard.
    I took it that the clergyman was attempting to get her to accept that all hope was lost of ever finding the child alive.
    He did, while being asked, pray for a missing person, and only changed that on the mother's request.
    So, no I did not understand his stance as contradiction ..... more advising what almost all people believe ... even Mary's mother eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,603 ✭✭✭chooseusername

I don't think you should be disregarding people.
    I already said I will listen to the podcast this week, nothing to do with not bothering, people do have other things to do you know, like work etc.
    I'm not giving opinions on a podcast I haven't listened to. & I am not, ever, an. Uber republican.
    Don't make a statement saying gardai were too busy, when that is not the reason the were not involved in a podcast.
    The whole 7 episodes is less than 3 hours long,
    maybe the last couple of hours spent on here ,and watching "I'm a celebrity"
    could have been better spent.

• Advertisement

I did not take that from what I heard.
    I took it that the clergyman was attempting to get her to accept that all hope was lost of ever finding the child alive.
    He did, while being asked, pray for a missing person, and only changed that on the mother's request.
    So, no I did not understand his stance as contradiction ..... more advising what almost all people believe ... even Mary's mother eventually.

but its marys mothers insistence that she is still alive is the main reason the coroner cites that he wont give us an inquest

she said it on a live interview with RTE almost 2 decades ago that she had accepted Mary was dead!!

I cant find it at the moment it might have been one of Gemmas videos so will have been removed

• Registered Users Posts: 13,991 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

but its marys mothers insistence that she is still alive is the main reason the coroner cites that he wont give us an inquest

she said it on a live interview with RTE almost 2 decades ago that she had accepted Mary was dead!!

I cant find it at the moment it might have been one of Gemmas videos so will have been removed

Like any mother, she will still be hoping her daughter is still alive, and of course will say so.
    Having to accept her daughter is definitely, without question, dead, would seem like an abandonment of her daughter, which no parent would be happy with. Hence the lack of request for an inquest.

I find no inconsistency at all in what her mother has said (that I have heard) about Mary being alive or dead.
    From the podcast she seems to accept that the most likely situation is that Mary is dead, but she still expresses hope that it is not so, and without a body she will not let go of that hope ....... and I for one would not place any blame on her for that.

Of course if one were of a mind one could read something very sinister into that refusal ....

The whole 7 episodes is less than 3 hours long,
    maybe the last couple of hours spent on here ,and watching "I'm a celebrity"
    could have been better spent.

How condescending of you.... Roll eyes

Not that it's any of your business but I listen to podcasts in the morning while walking.
    After a long hard day at work, I like to turn my brain off for a while to try to relax before bed. So yeah, boards & I'm a celeb tend to do that.

Like any mother, she will still be hoping her daughter is still alive, and of course will say so.
    Having to accept her daughter is definitely, without question, dead, would seem like an abandonment of her daughter, which no parent would be happy with. Hence the lack of request for an inquest.

I find no inconsistency at all in what her mother has said (that I have heard) about Mary being alive or dead.
    From the podcast she seems to accept that the most likely situation is that Mary is dead, but she still expresses hope that it is not so, and without a body she will not let go of that hope ....... and I for one would not place any blame on her for that.

Of course if one were of a mind one could read something very sinister into that refusal ....

her insistence that she isnt dead and doenst want a coroners inquest until she herself has passed away is stopping us from getting anywhere .. theres a very good chance that the person we believe responsible will die before her

Sorry for her feelings but why does she not want as much probing as possible into what happened that day?

I would argue that would be the more natural incliniation of a parent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Paul Pott

I made this point on another thread and I'll make it here too. Most people would agree Gemma has gone mad as a box of frogs and I know she's always been the kind of person who would fall out with her own shadow but her work on the Mary Boyle case was pretty spot on and it was rather bizarre that she got no mainstream support whatsoever for her effort, bearing in mind it was long before she became obsessed with immigrants, chemtrails etc

• Advertisement

Paul Pott wrote: »
    I made this point on another thread and I'll make it here too. Most people would agree Gemma has gone mad as a box of frogs and I know she's always been the kind of person who would fall out with her own shadow but her work on the Mary Boyle case was pretty spot on and it was rather bizarre that she got no mainstream support whatsoever for her effort, bearing in mind it was long before she became obsessed with immigrants, chemtrails etc

fair point

only thing I can really think of is that even though she hadnt expressed her rascist homophobic views either privatley to us and certainly not publicly she was a real nasty person to deal with on just a personal level.

And the rest of the Irish media made it clear to us they were no fan of her. at all

When she went after the indo after being made redundant she got zero support from within the industry

it IS a ****ty thing that this IMO seemed to make the media ignore what she brought out in the documentary.. especially for us stuck in the middle and youd hope the media could rise above it..

and im not Gemmas biggest fan ( understatemnet of the year ) but after the documentary she released footage of Retired Sgt Collins, clearly, in one cut in a conversation in her car,where he stated that Sean McEniff rang the station and that after that the main suspect was not to be touched

so far very little interest from the Irish media in the Republic as well on this but early days yet, I was meant to speak to a couple of reporters today but the unfortunate incident of the body being found in Ballymun understandably took up their time today.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

and im not Gemmas biggest fan ( understatemnet of the year ) but after the documentary she released footage of Retired Sgt Collins, clearly, in one cut in a conversation in her car,where he stated that Sean McEniff rang the station and that after that the main suspect was not to be touched
    Has McEniff's estate had their day in court against GOD?
    https://www.thejournal.ie/estate-of-sean-mceniff-defamation-case-gemma-odoherty-4563818-Mar2019/

• Registered Users Posts: 19,613 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Brief mention of the Mary Boyle case on Joe Duffy there about 2pm. Topic was graves that had been vandalised but not sure how Mary slotted into this as I was on the phone and didnt catch it all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Paul Pott

fair point

only thing I can really think of is that even though she hadnt expressed her rascist homophobic views either privatley to us and certainly not publicly she was a real nasty person to deal with on just a personal level.

And the rest of the Irish media made it clear to us they were no fan of her. at all

When she went after the indo after being made redundant she got zero support from within the industry

it IS a ****ty thing that this IMO seemed to make the media ignore what she brought out in the documentary.. especially for us stuck in the middle and youd hope the media could rise above it..

so far very little interest from the Irish media in the Republic as well on this but early days yet, I was meant to speak to a couple of reporters today but the unfortunate incident of the body being found in Ballymun understandably took up their time today.

I think the mainstream medias claim that they didn't touch the story because they don't like Gemma is total nonsense, it also doesn't explain why Barry Cummins is happy to run with the frankly insane theory that Robert Black was responsible.

I listened to the podcast, it was well made & an interesting enough listen.
    No real detail in it though.
    If anything it made me very sympathetic to Mrs Boyle, who I guess, up to now I probably had certain ideas about her & the case.

On the point of AGS being involved, it's obvious why they are not. I don't understand why they made such a big thing out of it, like there is some conspiracy, when clearly it is an open investigation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭g6fdyotp5nj2l7

bubblypop wrote:
    when clearly it is an open investigation.

Seems to me it's open in name only I don't see any evidence of much investigating going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,513 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

The answer lies within the family for sure.
    A stranger didn’t suddenly arrive out of the blue and take Mary. How would they even know she was there?
    Whoever owned the car/van that was parked in the spot where the sniffer dogs lost the trail is the person who knows exactly what happened.
    Was that person interviewed or arrested? That’s what needed to be done at the time.
    The media are not going to solve this no matter how often they tell the story.
    The truth lies within and always has.

I listened to the podcast, it was well made & an interesting enough listen.
    No real detail in it though.
    If anything it made me very sympathetic to Mrs Boyle, who I guess, up to now I probably had certain ideas about her & the case.

On the point of AGS being involved, it's obvious why they are not. I don't understand why they made such a big thing out of it, like there is some conspiracy, when clearly it is an open investigation.

what years were you in Templemore?

what years were you in Templemore?

What difference does that make?

What difference does that make?

it makes a Huge difference if you are or were a Garda as you have been defending the indefensible with them here

• Advertisement

it makes a Huge difference if you are or were a Garda as you have been defending the indefensible with them here

you dont need to be a garda to know how the law works?
    they cannot just go on podcasts and talk about evidence in open cases.
    everyone can understand that.
    but, there were 3 retired members speaking about their own experiences.

you dont need to be a garda to know how the law works?
    they cannot just go on podcasts and talk about evidence in open cases.
    everyone can understand that.
    but, there were 3 retired members speaking about their own experiences.

what ????

whats the difference between speaking on a podcast and speaking on documentaries down thru the years ???

what ????

whats the difference between speaking on a podcast and speaking on documentaries down thru the years ???

AGS do not 'chat about' open cases. It may prejudice any criminal case.
    Which documentaries have the organisation spoken on?

AGS do not 'chat about' open cases. It may prejudice any criminal case.
    Which documentaries have the organisation spoken on?

the almost annual one they put out every year near the anniversary

that seems to have a different story every time

do you know anything about this case at all ?

you came on here criticisng the podcast without even listening to it

you are coming across at best an idiot or at worse a troll, back on to ignore you go

the almost annual one they put out every year near the anniversary

that seems to have a different story every time

do you know anything about this case at all ?

you came on here criticisng the podcast without even listening to it

you are coming across at best an idiot or at worse a troll, back on to ignore you go

I'm afraid you're coming across as the idiot here.
    If Gardai look for assistance in an open investigation it is very very different to having a chat about an open case.
    Surely you see the difference.

I didn't criticise the podcast, & I listened to it. Thought it was good, well made, but no real details in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 957 ✭✭✭80j2lc5y7u6qs9

@oranbhoy67

How did you get in touch with the BBC journalist? Not much new for me but it is a good podcast by an unassuming journalist.I did think the man who claims he saw the red beetle sounded authentic.

If the suspect did murder her where did he put the body?

@oranbhoy67

How did you get in touch with the BBC journalist? Not much new for me but it is a good podcast by an unassuming journalist.I did think the man who claims he saw the red beetle sounded authentic.

If the suspect did murder her where did he put the body?

if I knew the answer to the last question we wouldnt be here

Id hope he buried her in the land somewhere but he could really have done anything

It was the BBC got in touch with me

Hes the only person that day to say he saw a red VW beetle there was 3 cars spotted on that road that day by all eyewitnesses, no red VW Beetle, and he said the same until 1992 when he changed his mind after somehow seeing his orignal statement which would have been read back to him and giving to him to read before signing

he also said elsewhere that in 1992 he went to Marys Grandmothers house in Cashelard and informed her about the red VW beetle

big hole in that story too as Marys Grandmother had left that house in 1980 after the death of her husband to go live with her daughter almost 2 hours drive away in Kincassalagh and the house has lain empty since

• Closed Accounts Posts: 957 ✭✭✭80j2lc5y7u6qs9

if I knew the answer to the last question we wouldnt be here

Id hope he buried her in the land somewhere but he could really have done anything

It was the BBC got in touch with me

Hes the only person that day to say he saw a red VW beetle there was 3 cars spotted on that road that day by all eyewitnesses, no red VW Beetle, and he said the same until 1992 when he changed his mind after somehow seeing his orignal statement which would have been read back to him and giving to him to read before signing

he also said elsewhere that in 1992 he went to Marys Grandmothers house in Cashelard and informed her about the red VW beetle

big hole in that story too as Marys Grandmother had left that house in 1980 after the death of her husband to go live with her daughter almost 2 hours drive away in Kincassalagh and the house has lain empty since
    but its only so big if you mean the land around the house. H ecouldn't have done anything, his time was limited. And she is not in the water. Though the diver said they only searched the rim

but its only so big if you mean the land around the house. H ecouldn't have done anything, his time was limited. And she is not in the water. Though the diver said they only searched the rim

I meant the sea, people were leaving the house that night whilst the gardai were in it and dissapearing for hours they had plenty of time to do anything with the body and hide it and move it and eventually dump it out too see

my wish is for the whole area of land where she went missing and the house to be forensically dug up and examined .. its not being used so its time they did something they ( the Gardai) promised us they were going in with a scanner in 2016

they were lying

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,603 ✭✭✭chooseusername

It's about 55 acres by my reckoning,which is big enough,
    especially when you take into account the terrain .
    Plenty room to hide a small body.
    Hiding a body on your own property, where you have control of the comings and goings
    is far more likely than disposing of it where you have no control.
    The sea or the lake might give up it's secrets at any time.
    Land beyond your boundaries is also out of your control ,
    development, dogs , wild animals, erosion or forestry harvesting might uncover your secret,
    and lead to some sleepless nights.
    So my guess is,she is hidden in plain sight -the simplest explanation.

Advertisement