Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dirty, dreary, expensive, nothing to do

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭nkl12xtw5goz70

Maybe I'm immune to Dublin because I live here but I think I can understand its charm to tourists objectively. And for many tourists, especially European ones, its actually not that expensive.

It probably seems a lot more expensive to the British now that sterling has been pulverized by Brexit.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,850 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Not much history,

****e talk.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

To be fair, it's a bit crap. Not much history, rubbish architecture, non unique food, very expensive hotels, ****e weather. All we have are pubs and our nanny State governments want rid of those for Vegan and Coffee places.

Everywhere in Ireland has amazing history. And the food we do produce (mainly meat) is of exceptional quality. 'Grass fed beef' is a high demand premium product in the States, here that's the base standard. Same goes for butter and cheese.

Many European capitals are much more expensive for hotels as well. Architecture is subjective, I do wish Dublin had a high rise portion of the city though. But that's more of an issue on the planning side of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

It probably seems a lot more expensive to the British now that sterling has been pulverized by Brexit.

If I fancy going to Reykjavik, Stockholm, Oslo or Copenhagen for a trip, I make sure and understand what it costs and enjoy it. I don't land here and have a convulsion because its not as cheap as Albania.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭ittakestwo

It Does rain a lot here. We seem to have a lot of days where it just does not stop raining. Of course that will piss people off no end. We dont really show in failte ireland brochures what really the street scape will probably look like if you visit. Pissing rain with umbrellas.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

ittakestwo wrote: »
    It Does rain a lot here. We seem to have a lot of days where it just does not stop raining. Of course that will piss people off no end. We dont really show in failte ireland brochures what really the street scape will probably look like if you visit. Pissing rain with umbrellas.

That’s just this year which is markedly bad. All day rain is not that common in Dublin and it’s not a particularly rainy city in general if you look at the stats.

Dreary, boring, dirty....not the ‘fun’ durrrty....

Yeah, sounds like a Mumsnet poster alright. The kind of crotch scratcher who thinks they’re cultured because they have both red and white wine in their home...in cartons...in the fridge.

Those eejits wouldn’t know a good time if it gave them a root up their gaping holes.

Dublin’s great. We all know it, even if it almost kills some people to accept or admit it. Let’s not have another round of The Same Again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭6541

Pubs in Dublin are world class.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 426 ✭✭MrAbyss

Temple Bar has made the city centre smaller for tourists. They don't think there is anything else. In the 1960s the city centre extended from the Greasham Hotel to Stephens Green. Now it ihas all been sucked into the Temple Bar/Guinness Storehouse black hole. The city centre needs to be expanded back to its traditional axis of Parnell Square to Merrion Square. Also there are not enough people living in the city center. Hence the dreary. No real life. The lack of high rise and no underground rail system all adds up to Dublin feeling like a Mickey Mouse town even though it's actually the same size as Amsterdam. The "Guinness Factory" sums up everything that is wrong with Dublin as a tourist destination.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 426 ✭✭MrAbyss

Knock Airport constantly has English women arriving in beach attire. I kid you not. The airport even keeps anoraks handy for them. These kinds of English tourists tend to be very unworlldly and don't understand overseas. Many of them think all airplanes all fly to sunny foreign. They have no sense of the complexity and diversity of the rest of the world even after they even visit places. It's a strange unique English attitude. I can't explain it but it exists and ninety percent of Mumsnet would be comprised of these types. I wouldn't take their comments to heart.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭BakeMeACake

Maple flooring

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

That's mostly an issue for people that live there. Tourists should be well aware of the cost of holidaying here, similar to plenty of other expensive European cities.

Bangs of people expecting a cheapo holiday in backward Ireland. Like the retards that book a 2 star hotel and then go on TripAdvisor moaning that it's not a Raddison

Or Dublin being marketed as a great holiday destination. But once they arrive it becomes evident that it's a bit of a kip. We all know that it is. Defend it if you will as some sort of patriotism to our capital but it's a dump. SoZ

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Nothing to do? There's loads to do..even for free.

A couple of uncultured English people basing their whole weekend in temple bar will of course get ripped off and have nothing much to do aside from a pub and Leo burdocks

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Ah the genius of the one-liner on a head-nodding forum, smart-looking but ultimately vacuous. I got bored with the seriously poor cut and paste article. How Dublin is responsible for someone being cold and wet in December is a real mystery.

MarkY91 wrote: »
    Nothing to do? There's loads to do..even for free.

A couple of uncultured English people basing their whole weekend in temple bar will of course get ripped off and have nothing much to do aside from a pub and Leo burdocks

That's the nothing to do bit covered . Even though you didn't give any examples.
    Now tackle the dirty, dreary and expensive.
    It's a kip. Admit it and move on

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Fritzbox

Blueshoe wrote: »
    That's the nothing to do bit covered . Even though you didn't give any examples.
    Now tackle the dirty, dreary and expensive.
    It's a kip. Admit it and move on

There's lots to do in Dublin - bars restaurants galleries, museums, churches, castles and old houses, parks etc. Tell me, what is there to do in the other small capital cities in Europe, what is there to see and do in Bratislava, Oslo, Helsinki, Copenhagen etc.? Is the weather any better in any of these places? I read recently that the rainfall is greater in Amsterdam is heavier than in Dublin, could be true?

Fritzbox wrote: »
    There's lots to do in Dublin - bars restaurants galleries, museums, churches, castles and old houses, parks etc. Tell me, what is there to do in the other small capital cities in Europe, what is there to see and do in Bratislava, Oslo, Helsinki, Copenhagen etc.? Is the weather any better in any of these places? I read recently that the rainfall is greater in Amsterdam is heavier than in Dublin, could be true?

Dirty dreary and expensive.
    It's a kip. But it's our kip.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Blueshoe wrote: »
    Or Dublin being marketed as a great holiday destination. But once they arrive it becomes evident that it's a bit of a kip. We all know that it is. Defend it if you will as some sort of patriotism to our capital but it's a dump. SoZ

S'ok. You haz your opinion innit, fam.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

Brits were always tight arses neways :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

Mr.S wrote: »
    A bit covered, what does that mean, inside? We have a heap of museums, art galleries, pubs, restaurants, tourist attractions like the Storehouse, EPIC, Kilmainham Gaol - to name a few.

Only boring people get bored. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Dublin city council, look at the state of much of the city centre. O’Connell bridge footpaths are tarmac for Christ sake. The amount of dereliction is laughable. Once Gorgeous Georgian buildings now a disgrace. They are great at stopping new developments though ! and for all their talk of the skyline and Georgian Dublin, action speaks louder than words. The absolute state of some areas of central Dublin , after two booms now In relative close succession is unbelievable!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,929 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Yeah the roads/paving in Dublin is really ramshackle in parts. Baggot St and South Anne St are in an absolute state. I have no idea what DCC do half the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Dublin has lovely geographical setting. Many people I chat to here that have moved here from other countries love it. As usual it could be better here and the authorities really fail us on that front. Transport is laughably bad. There is no stand out good modern architecture, it’s all bland rubbish. The anti development dcc trying to stop hotels being built , of course they are expensive when supply is being limited coupled with large demand. The cost of drink is pricey enough , at least with three new spoons that will be open centrally soon, Us locals or visitors don’t have to be robbed anymore. Food wise eating out here I find pretty good value.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Rufeo

That doesn't stop Dublin being one of the most popular tourist cities in Europe. Why are there so many tourists in London and Paris if they are also so expensive?

Probably trying to avoid a 28 euro price tag for a sub par steak in a over priced gastropub.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

Is the weather any better in any of these places? I read recently that the rainfall is greater in Amsterdam is heavier than in Dublin, could be true?
    Dublin is in the rain shadow of the Wicklow mountains. It's not a particularly wet city. https://www.timeanddate.com says it has 493 mm a year vs 550 mm annually for Amsterdam. Some others: London 596.5, Galway 732.5, Cork 849, Copenhagen 312, Paris 589, Lisbon 295, Oslo 701. All from the same site, for whatever it's worth.

The opinions of a handful of tourists should be of concern to Failte Ireland, and to **** all else, though as usual there's a scramble as culchies with chips on their shoulder race to gloat that their hatred of their own capital is justified.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,929 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

mikhail wrote: »
    Dublin is in the rain shadow of the Wicklow mountains. It's not a particularly wet city. https://www.timeanddate.com says it has 493 mm a year vs 550 mm annually for Amsterdam. Some others: London 596.5, Galway 732.5, Cork 849, Copenhagen 312, Paris 589, Lisbon 295, Oslo 701. All from the same site, for whatever it's worth.

The opinions of a handful of tourists should be of concern to Failte Ireland, and to **** all else, though as usual there's a scramble as culchies with chips on their shoulder race to gloat that their hatred of their own capital is justified.

London gets a summer though, regardless of all the rain. It has felt like non stop rain in Dublin this year since August!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭fatknacker

Museums and galleries are free. A trip to howth / dun laoghaire is about €6 or so return and they can walk around there for free. A double cheeseburger in McDonald's is €2 or do a shop in lidl and make their own food.
    They can enjoy Dublin for cheap if they like or they can shove it up their holes.
    I don't care, I'd prefer fewer tourists, myself. Piss off to Paris.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 143 ✭✭Ready4Boarding

My two cents

Most tourists seem to go to dreary parts of dublin and ignore other nicer parts

By that I mean they congregate around

The north quays
    O connell st
    Abbey st middle and lower
    Mary and Henry st
    Parnell st
    Temple bar
    Dame st

And they seem to be in much less numbers around the “grafton quarter” and leeson/baggot area. Nicer areas if you ask me.

In Ireland, we labour under the delusion that O'Connell Street is our main street, mostly for sentimental reasons, and expend great energy griping that it's not the street we want it to be. But what other capital's main street has exclusively tatty shops and fast food restaurants, extensive counsel housing in the immediate vicinity and reaches the edge of the commercial city at its top end? If we acknowledge that the the centre of the city has moved elsewhere, we are freed of cognitive dissonance and can appreciate it for what it is. We can then embrace that College Green is the central axis of the city and make the necessary improvements, like pedestrianising it, that will cement it as such. Tourists find themselves in O'Connell Street because it's still where we instinctively point to as being the city centre.

And I'm glad you used the term Grafton Quarter (albeit in quotation marks!). There is little doubt that the most attractive part of the inner city is the area south of Dame Street, from George's Street to Dawson Street. The streets have a common character and retail mix, so it makes perfect sense to group them. People viewed the Grafton Quarter sign as some branding exercise (that someone was being paid a fortune for having created), but if you want South William Street pedestrianised, proper policing of where delivery vans parks, a prohibition on obstructive bin bags left out over night, etc, it will only happen if there's a shared planning strategy for the area.

Idbatterim wrote: »
    There is no stand out good modern architecture.

Berkeley Library at Trinity and the former Central Bank on Dame Street are fantastic (IMO) but Dublin has much under-appreciated Georgian and Victorian architecture that we should be prioritising.

silverharp wrote: »

They really are insufferable at this point.

Advertisement