Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just Do It

• 04-11-2019 1:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭

After some thinking and gaining some solid info from reading other logs, I decided to try this to pick up some further advice and hopefully give some back over time. Sorry for the long winded first post, they will be more concise after this. Reason for starting a log to track will become obvious when you read my previous shortcomings below.

Bit of background

I'm 38. I played plenty off football over the years but was never really fit through those years. I did enough to get by, but didn't push myself at all and took shortcuts in training. Knocked that on the head about 6 years ago due to a continuous knee problem, that eventually had to get operated on. Made a few attempts to come back in the astro format, which I enjoyed but never lasted long, due to always somehow hurting the same knee which left me hobbling and down on myself for weeks after.
    Decided around this time to get myself proper fit away from football for first time in my adult life, by just cardio gym work, short fast runs and started to use the bike all the time(rarely drive anymore to this day). Diet was good around then too and within a few months was trimmer and fitter then I ever was . Completed my first 10km around then in 46 mins followed by a 44mins a few weeks later. I then did the DLR bay 10k in August(2013) and cut time again to 42.47 mins for a PB. I never kicked on and didn't run again that year for whatever reason(lazy) which I regret.

In next couple of years similar pattern and would yo yo a bit with weight. I never got really big due to the bit of cycling but I wasn't fit and I had a Desperate Dan type chin in some periods. Around summer of 2015 again got into a fitness buzz. Had done a couple of local park runs around the 22/23 min mark but signed up to the docklands 5k to see if I could get around that mark or even somewhere in the 21's. I blitzed it and got 19.34 PB. How I didn't kick on after that, i don't know but yeh probably just lazy again.
    Didn't do much again the next couple of years 2016/2017 bar two 10k races within a couple of weeks where i did a 50 min followed by a 46 min one. I don't remember 2018 at all and I don't just mean running, most of the year is a blank to me - ha.. I probably did a few runs here and there.

So before this block of DCM19 training I had ran about five 10k races and maybe four 5kms including parkruns in my life with nothing for 3 years. I did more casual running in the first 6 months of this year then I ever did, which was on average 1 hour of running a week split over either 2 or 3 runs, where I just ran fast with no real purpose but enjoyed it nonetheless.

DCM Plan, lack of plan ?

It always crossed my mind that I'd like to run a marathon and kidded myself into a few times,("ah sure do a few runs, increase it a bit and sure you'll be grand type attitude").
    I caught wind earlier in the year that a person I know well in "real life" jackc101 was training for the Cork marathon and was thinking to myself, how was he managing all that training with two young kids same age as my two. On a family visit to his neck of the woods, I saw for myself how. He was getting up at stupid o clock and putting in the hard graft before breakfast/work etc. It definitely got me thinking and in truth inspired me, that I could do that too - I told him as much as we walked out of McGrattans last week. On a related note, I was delighted how well he did in DCM and taking approx 18 mins off his Cork time in such a short space of time - Bravo..

I signed up on 1st of July after seeing the KBC promoted ads every day for a week- I was lucky to get in. Once I did, i ran more then ever. Got myself a Garmin(oh look at this guy, thinking hes's a runner) and just started going down the Forrest Gump route of just running. First 2 weeks or so of running I was running sub 8 min pace all the time.
    I was then working of a plan that didn't really suit me. I heard of the boards plan as jackc101 was using it and slowly starting to convert to it. I started to ask questions then and started getting great advice. Slowed up everything and pretty much 90% of my runs from then on in were casual pace following the plan as close as work allowed.
    Signed up for a couple of pre Marathon races. For the South Dub 10k, I had to work and was away for frank Duffy 10 mile so unfort missed both of them.

Early August,I returned to DLR Bay 10k in Dun Laoghaire where I had my previous PB 6 years ago.
    I ran a really positive race with a negative split to come in at 40 mins 54 seconds for a PB. For anyone who doesn't know it, its not an easy course but great for a negative split as first half is more climbing and 2nd is more downhill. I ran the 2nd half in an even 20 mins. Its a well organised race too.

I then took on the Half in the Phoenix Park. I was feeling sharp on the day but wasn't sure what pace i was going to go. Started off with the 1.40 balloons for first mile or so but pulled away then and came in with 1.32.46 PB with another approx 1 minute negative split. I was buzzing after that and I could now allow myself to alter my original 3.50 marathon target which i inputted on the DCM site as expected finish back on the 1st of July.

My DCM report is the novices/grads thread - not sure how to link it.

I was basically delighted how it went and there is not very much I'd change about it. Despite my struggles with legs cramping in the last couple of miles i still manged a 30 seconds or so negative split for a time of 3.25.20 which far exceeded what I thought I could manage. I think, I overplayed the issues I was having with legs cramp on that report as everything was more dramatic in it, as i wrote it with a few drinks on me. The last 2 miles were a bit slower, but not by as much on the clock, as it felt. I had already passed hundreds of people in the 2nd half. Stopping for those few seconds to stretch just before RDS did me the world of good.

Loads of thanks again to mentors in novice thread as if I hadn't found that thread I would have blown a gasket by mile 10.

So now here I am starting a log so I don't get lazy again. Not fully sure of plans or what plan I should do but i will be running. I have signed up for Dublin next year anyway for starters. I might look to improve on my 5k time at Jingle bells run and would like to go sub 40 for 10km in early 2020. Any tips or advice welcome.

Last week just the one tester run on Sunday with nothing to report. I was going to do nothing all week but had planned sports massage today so wanted to see if anywhere in particular needed to be targeted. Everywhere was the answer.

Sunday 3rd - 3.3 Miles @9.32

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,693 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Best of luck with the log.

Those are very impressive times for someone with limited running experience. You obviously have a natural talent for it, and with a bit of consistency and structure you will make huge progress. Here is your marathon report for anyone looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Lambay island

Thanks Mr G. Its going to be hard to shake off the mentoring habit :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Very best of luck with the log :D

Early report as this will be the total for week. Was hoping to do at least one more run but busy week me all round for me.

Next week again will be light but will look to kick into grads plan from 18th November. Looking forward now to increase the mileage and the attempt at the PB at jingle bells 5k.

Tuesday 4 miles @8.50
    Wednesday 4.2 miles @8.35
    Friday 3.2 miles @ 8.43

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Happy logging! You're in a great position to push on with your running. Super first marathon time!

• Advertisement

Singer wrote: »
    Happy logging! You're in a great position to push on with your running. Super first marathon time!

Thanks, im at a stage i really want to now.
    I was reading/scanning through your log the other day. The gains you have made are seriously impressive and inspiring.

Very best of luck with the log :D

Thanks. If it becomes half as interesting as yours ,im on to a winner.

Thanks. If it becomes half as interesting as yours ,im on to a winner.

Haha thanks a mill ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Brilliant stuff. I shall follow with interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Yay another log to follow :) Your marathon debut was superb, looking forward to see where you go from here.

• Advertisement

Early report as this will be the total for week. Was hoping to do at least one more run but busy week me all round for me.

Next week again will be light but will look to kick into grads plan from 18th November. Looking forward now to increase the mileage and the attempt at the PB at jingle bells 5k.

Tuesday 4 miles @8.50
    Wednesday 4.2 miles @8.35
    Friday 3.2 miles @ 8.43

Managed to squeeze in a further 3.66 miles @ 8.55 pace on the sunday that week which brought that week to a total of 15 miles

Was planning a light enough week with possibly 2 or 3 runs due to me been away. Post marathon treat for the family and myself to be fair, landed us in Lanzarote. Dessert after breakfast, beers from lunch was the diet for the week. Not sure all inclusive hols work well with me ðŸ˜

Got out the first morn after we arrived and realised how scenic and run friendly the route was, so knew i'd want to run it as often as poss. All morning runs.

Tuesday 5miles at 8.52
    Wed 5.5 miles @9.47
    Thurs 4.22 miles at 8.23 (4 mile progression run, really enjoyed first bit of intensity since DCM)
    Friday 5.10 miles at 11.01
    Sunday 4.22 miles @8.48 (back in dub for chillier run)

Total 24 miles for week

Decided on a whim, I wanted to race something this coming weekend. For my sins have signed up to run the movember 5k on sat. 10k seemed to be have been sold out. Not sure of course if its a pb option but sure i'll give it a rattle anyway. Plan is to do some runmuting this week so easy enough runs up to it.

Decided on a whim, I wanted to race something this coming weekend. For my sins have signed up to run the movember 5k on sat. 10k seemed to be have been sold out. Not sure of course if its a pb option but sure i'll give it a rattle anyway. Plan is to do some runmuting this week so easy enough runs up to it.

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Do you have a Lambay connection? Have always wanted to take a trip out there, if you’re organizing a few laps. ;)

Huzzah! wrote: »
    Good luck!

Thanks. Hope the dam rain holds off

Murph_D wrote: »
    Do you have a Lambay connection? Have always wanted to take a trip out there, if you’re organizing a few laps. ;)

:) unfortunately not. I'd like to take a trip there myself. If I remember correctly, the day I opened this account, I was reading an article on how a load of wallabys ended up on an Island off Dublin.

Monday 18th
    6.57 miles @8.42
    Commute run home easy enough initially. When i got out of town where paths were quitier, decided to throw in some strides.

Tuesday
    6.81 miles @8.32
    Runmute Progress for 6 miles. Nothing major and almost naturally takes a few seconds each mile off by the fact most of this route is downhill.

Wednesday
    5 miles@9.05
    Easy enough run around Marlay Park

Thursday
    6.76miles@8.53
    Another runmute on uphill route. Nothing to report here

Friday
    7miles@8.36
    Runmute in morning. I was going to get bus here as had a few pints night before and was wet out. For whatever reason, i decided to run and felt the better off it as soon as i got into work.

Saturday
    Movember almost 5k run report
    As I said in an earlier post, i wanted to race something this week but wasnt going to take it too serious.
    Woke up and saw weather and was thinking of swerving it and maybe doing local park run instead.
    Had increased milage and ran 32 miles for week by Friday and just done 6 days in row so legs were feeling a little stiff too. I had all the excuses ready.
    Eventually after procrastinating for ages, I grew a pair and headed in to the Phoenix Park.

Mile one
    Went out too quick and legs felt like jelly for first couple of mins. I was at 5.30 mile pace and knew i had no chance of keeping that up. Slowed it up and found my pace soon after. 6.07 mile
    Mile 2
    Happy with pace, juggling positions with 2 other blokes for most of race. Few ahead including one well ahead but we had created a gap to field behind. 6.07 mile
    Mile 3 ++
    Was looking forward to line at this stage. Legs just didnt feel that fresh, socks were soaked through and was running last km into a head wind. I realised at 4km mark that that this race distance wasnt going to be 5k. The line seemed too close and my watch readings wernt adding up. I didnt fully push myself for a final sprint as distance error had annoyed me and didnt see the point now. Due to this,forgot to stop garmin on time at line. Mile pace 6.10.

18.34 was my chip time which i would have been over the moon with for 5k but unfort the race was no further than 4.89k. So not quite a one minute PB for me, in fact not PB at all due to this.
    I know these things can happen so not too bothered and I wont slate the race as its all for a great cause.

On the positive side, I now know that sub 19 is very realistic target for mefor jingle bells in 2 weeks.

Tomor, i may still run but prob should take a rest day

Bit of a strange week for me.
    Not necessarily feeling sick, but didn't feel myself all week in terms of been a bit lethargic.
    Initially, It seemed that running that 5k race the previous week had taken more out of me then I thought it would, but I think it was more my body was fighting something as there had been sickness in the house.. I was planning on running a 10 miler on Saturday but decided I needed the rest . Sunday was always going to be a bit of a write off for me as I was at milestone birthday bash on sat night.

Monday
    6.86 miles @9.11

Tuesday
    6.92 Miles @8.31

Wednesday
    5.15 Miles 3 miles Tempo interval @8.00
    I wasn't going to run at all today due to what I said above. I started out with first mile at just shy of 9min pace so was just going to do 3 miles at that pace then. I felt good after that mile so there and then decided to do some intensity for 2 miles which turned into 3, before cooling down for last mile or so. Heart rate was consistent with pace change. The reason I mention that will become evident below.

Thursday/Friday
    Due to Wednesdays run going fine, decided to do my cross between cycle/runmute for Thursday and Friday, which i had also done earlier in week. This consists of me cycling in the first day and running home and vice versa for next day. The 2nd run in these blocks are generally a little bit quicker due to terrain
    6.7miles @9.09
    6.78@8.53

For low effort/easy pace runs, both these runs had a far higher avg heart rate then what I would generally have. I Had noticed that morning my resting heart rate was up too so assuming was fighting illness.

Sat - Rest

Sun
    Didn't really fancy run at all, as was heavy going previous night. Waited till the night and went out for a short recovery run. Heart rate back to normal anyway. To top of the week, came home and the 1 year old puked on me and i then walked straight into a door which left one of those cartoon type lumps on my forehead - good times.
    3.22@ 9.47

Total miles for week 35.6

Plan for coming week is jingle bells on Saturday. Will run first half of week but will rest thurs and fri to have a good go at this race. I want to PB (19.34) but I think I can go under 19 mins if all falls in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Treviso

You were right to have a break over the weekend if you were feeling lethargic. I think it will benefit you for next week's 5k.

Will be interested to see how next week goes for you and best of luck for your sub 19 attempt. I would do 2 or 3 miles on Friday to give the legs a bit of a stretch before Saturday's race.

• Advertisement

Treviso wrote: »
    You were right to have a break over the weekend if you were feeling lethargic. I think it will benefit you for next week's 5k.

Will be interested to see how next week goes for you and best of luck for your sub 19 attempt. I would do 2 or 3 miles on Friday to give the legs a bit of a stretch before Saturday's race.

Thanks. Yeh, I prob will loosen the legs on friday alright

Monday - 7.05 Miles @8.44
    Run of the mill run mute home until 5 mile mark when I wanted to do some strides/intervals to get up to 5k pace with jingle bells race looming in the horizon. I was just about able to get to the pace I wanted, but struggled to sustain it even for 30 seconds. I did a few reps here with same result but wasn't overly concerned at this stage as was tired after work.

Tuesday 6.74 Miles (5miles Progression @ 8.31 up to MP)
    Mile 1- 9.06
    Mile 2 - 8.43
    Mile 3 - 8.37(not much progress here, think I forgot what I was meant to be at)
    Mile 4 - 7.56
    Mile 5 - 7.27
    Miles 6 to 6.74 - Cool down 9.00

Wednesday 5.2 miles @8.42 issues with watch meant I restarted here and did
    a further 1.33 Miles @7.44
    Was trying to get to 5k pace here again but was barely able to get to it and again felt I'd struggle to get to where i wanted to be on Saturday which was a sub 19 or thereabouts. My PB from a few years ago was 19.34 from Grant Thornton run and I was thinking at this stage, "no chance pal".

Thursday Rest

Friday 5.02 miles@9.08
    Different start point here for me for my runmute. Was planning maybe doing an easy 3 miles and then getting dart for last leg of my journey to keep legs fresh. It was 3.3 miles to Landsdowne road dart station so that'll do. As I was pulling up beside station here, a Dart just flew off which meant i would have had to wait another minimum of 10 mins in the cold in my running gear. I thought F that and ran the rest of way in instead(secretly happy)

Jingle Bells 5k
    Start of week, I had a plan in my head, that I Should PB and could sneak under 19 minutes. As week wore on, I was less confident due to early runs in the week.
    I was going to change Garmin to Km's for this but knew what I needed to do in Miles format so left it be in the end.

My plan was to try do the first mile approx 6.10 max and similar to 2nd mile, then go gung ho from then on if the body allowed.
    I got myself in position around the sub 20 marker at the start.
    Found the start quite conjested then and felt like the first few hundred metres, I was trying to find a way past and dodge people. I thought I was running about 8 minute mile pace but looked at watch and was 6.20, so that was a pleasant surprise and opposite to earlier in week. The bit of conjestion in hindsight here definitely helped me with my race plan. I had done a tune up race 2 weeks ago (Mo Run) and I went out too fast and was isolated for large parts there and then struggled a bit with pace later on.
    First mile rang in at 6.07 so was content here and within where I wanted to be.

I noticed during the 2nd mile on Furze road, it was a bit more exposed to wind here. Looked at watch, was floating about 6.20 pace so needed to drive it on a bit. This is where i was happiest with how I ran the race. The reason being, If I could shelter by using people around me , I would take it. If i felt like I could push on I would and grab hold of next group and repeat. In fact, it only dawned on me afterwards, there was only one stage in the whole race where someone past me which I turned around then and passed him again climbing out of the furry glen. At some stage in the 2nd mile the ground was a bit slippy for about 20 steps or so. To my surprise, 2nd mile clocked in at 5.58

I was thinking at this stage, surely I can break 19.34 and there was a serious chance I could achieve my target of sub 19. On the other hand that was probably my fastest mile I have ever recorded, could I back it up by doing it again with the furry glen to come?
    F it, I had to back myself at this stage. I kept driving, almost stopped looking at watch and to my surprise went through the furry glen with relative ease. Nice shout out from Skyblue46 at the top here. Probably due to my shortness in the height department, but I always find myself strong going up hills but less so on a fast downhill. Anyway, it was just a downhill to come and I was home so just kept one foot in front of other as fast as i could and couldnt wait to catch a glimpse of the finishing line. Quick glance at watch when i saw the line in distance and saw pace was sub 6, Jaysus I have this surely, bar a monumental collapse. Last 50 yards spotted the Other half and heard her say faster faster which made me giggle as thought to myslef FFS like, I'm flatout gimme a break :D. Got over the line, saw big clock hitting 18.50 and realised i had done my sub 19. Stopped the watch then realised, the news was even better, as I remembered , I had started a at least 15 seconds after leaders. My strava and chip time matched at 18.31 for a 1 minute and 3 second PB. I was elated, properly chuffed while trying to catch my breath back hanging over the railings.
    3rd mile measured in at 5.48 followed by last bit at 5.35 avg pace. I couldn't belive I had been getting faster the whole time.

I wasn't sure of my thoughts of 5k races coming into this and It still not my favourite distance but how could I possibly complain. Super organised race and set up. Massive respect to Donore Harriers. My young lad was drinking his juice out of the mug this morn and he was delighted with the jellies and band playing christmas music at the end yesterday too. Bravo

Sunday 3.39 Recovery miles @9.01
    This was a bit pacier then intended. Think I just wanted it over.
    Glutes and right hamstring were letting me know early on "you are not running again are ya? we are going to down tools pal". It was almost like the 10 mins half as.sed foam rolling, while sipping on a few beers, watching the Boxing wasnt enough TLC for them last night - the cheek(literally).

33 miles for week, A couple shy of what I wanted to do as a minimum, but cant complain since there was a hard race in there.

I need to start finalising a plan of action now. I have only signed up for DCM 2020 so far, so by this time next week, I hope to have signed up for a few more races in the coming months.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Treviso

Congrats again on a superb PB. Sounds like a well executed race plan - something I will try to replicate end of December

Treviso wrote: »
    Congrats again on a superb PB. Sounds like a well executed race plan - something I will try to replicate end of December

Cheers T. I will be following how you get on at that. Some savage run you put in this morning

Big huge congrats on an amazing race & PB :)
    Was lovely chatting to you for a few mins after too!

Hope you celebrated :D

Big huge congrats on an amazing race & PB :)
    Was lovely chatting to you for a few mins after too!

Hope you celebrated :D

Thanks a lot...yep same to yourself on the chat. Well done on your race. I know you were bit disappointed but ive no doubt all your training will stand to you for your target half.

Cracking run. That's some chunk to take off your PB. Congrats!

If you're looking for races, Raheny 5 mile at the end of January is always a good one to do.

Huzzah! wrote: »
    Cracking run. That's some chunk to take off your PB. Congrats!

If you're looking for races, Raheny 5 mile at the end of January is always a good one to do.

Thanks, well done yourself. I didnt realise you were doing it until i copped it on strava.

Yeh cheers, I probably will do Raheny - in fact i must pull the trigger as I see Trim 10 mile is sold out.

I signed up to Raheny 5 mile(thanks for the push/reminder here Huzzah). Still trying to finalise plan of action after that but considering 2 marathons. Looking at Cork at end of May and then Dublin again. Cork early bird until year end so will make a decision by then. It would allow for a bit of downtime in June which will suit with possible holiday etc. I will continue to keep things ticking over in the mean time with base stuff but would need to kick in to a marathon block of training by early Feb if I go that route. I would still include a 10km somewhere in spring to have a crack at sub 40. I may park the half until race series in September but advice welcome on that one. Next half I run, I will be targeting sub 90 mins.

Mon - 7.01 miles @9.0 Mins Runmute
    Tues - 6.5 Miles @8.47 Mins Runmute

Wednesday 10mile progression run @8.17
    Enjoyed this early morning one. Tippy toe job not to wake anyone and out the door just after 5.30am. I was cold initially but warmed up quick enough with the increase in pace

Thursday rest

Friday 6.25 miles @9.02 mins.
    Bit of a bonus run in end. I was half thinking I probably at most would have done a 3mile recovery in the evening here as had a Christmas party night before and was planning on letting lose. Unfort, had to leave that shindig a bit earlier than planned due to a sick child which turned out to be a bit of a false alarm(thank god). On the plus side, I felt fresh on the Friday to get out for this nice run in 2 local parks followed by completing the christmas shopping which I never would have done if I went the distance the night before.

Saturday 4.2 Miles @8.02
    I was tight for time here and knew I had approx half hour to complete something. Mixture of threshold and moderate pace.

Sunday 8.03miles @9.02 miles
    This was meant to be a LSR of at least 11miles but more than likely I probably would have done 12. I was looping back past my home at approx 8mile to get water I left out for myself. Bare in mind, It was about 7.15am and was only about 2 degrees max out. I spotted a smartly dressed young fella with a santa hat on passed out slumped up against a wall. Initially ran past him but conscience got better of me as no idea how long he was there and hypothermia ran through my head. He was rubbered and very cold. As I got closer, I half recognised him and knew general direction of his house so dragged him up and "guided" him home against his wishes at the time. I managed to get his house number out of him eventually and after a struggle we got his key into the door(hoping alarm wouldn't go off) and he got as far as the warm hall for a "rest". I left the key in his pocket and threw a load of coats over him acting as a duvet and bid him farewell. A lovely sight for whoever found him:eek: and he will have no idea how he got home. Anyway, decided another 4 miles wasn't going to happen :o now but my good deed was done.:D

42 miles running and about 300 metres dragging for the week

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Janey, fair play to you! Good karma coming your way anyway :)

Advertisement