Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tesla Cybertruck

• 21-11-2019 7:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭macnab

Tesla is to unveil their newest vehicle tonight at 11pm EST, which is 4am here in Ireland. Hopefully there will be a live feed on the Tesla website.
    For those of you who don't know the Cybertruck is rumoured to be a sub $50,000 pick-up truck. Its mainly aimed at the US market where pick-ups are a very lucrative segment for manufacturers.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Yeah it's a bit too early in the morning for me, I expect my timelines to be full tomorrow.
    Hopefully will be a good challenge for the Ford F150 which sells about ~75,000 vehicles a month.
    More numbers for that and other trucks here:
    https://www.goodcarbadcar.net/2019-us-pickup-truck-sales-figures-by-model/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Well, it stands out at least. He said he doesn't care if people don't like it! Starts at $39,900.

https://www.tesla.com/en_ie/cybertruck

2wILaJU.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Single motor RWD or dual and tri motor AWD versions. 250+ to 500+ miles. 0-60 in <6.5/4.5/<2.9 depending on motor configuration. Towing capacity 7,500+/10,000+/14,000+ lbs.

Production in late 2021, or late 2022 for tri-motor. In Tesla Time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭macnab

Technically amazing, aesthetically.... Not sure what to say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭ewj1978

God I love Tesla.
    "we're going to bring out a pickup" Everyone thinks F150.
    Tesla " hold my beer" moment
    What a mad looking yoke.
    I want that quad bike too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,137 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Delorean.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

He's built a warthog the mad bastard.

370f044c03b8cc0b1a96965a68702d23.jpg

Wonder will we see Isis in these like the hillux ^_^

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,721 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Finally, someone made the car from Total Recall

JohhnyCab

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,788 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Electricity will be the mother's milk of this dystopian future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,105 ✭✭✭✭listermint

It's...

Words.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,457 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

He's such a troll

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭scotchy

Looks stealthy, speed camera proof.:)

💙 💛 💙 💛 💙 💛

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 764 ✭✭✭hedzball

And whats the range towing 3 tonnes exactly?? Throwing out range figures on a work vehicle without loading it is a waste of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭FarmerBrowne

It's like the car Homer invented.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

That's amazingly bad. I'm not sure if he's serious with that. It's looks like some prop car (that'd be in the far, far background) from some 1990s sci-fi movie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

I'm being 100% serious here; Is this a joke, or a publicity stunt?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭nullObjects

I thought it was a placeholder design when I saw the reveal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭jusmeig

Does not look like it, Elon and Franz are current flaying the poor engineer who fitted the non Magic Cyber Glass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Finally, someone made the car from Total Recall

JohhnyCab

Certainly Bladerunnerish

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcRbGHV50YmMII-MbukNxUgO1QbGgV2YS_ByVNex_1ZFswWMgPFL

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,217 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Well, that car is still loading

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,331 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Charging your ATV in the back of it is genius, he just launched 2 new products, dirt bikes and jet skis to follow no doubt.
    If you could slam it with the air suspension it would be pretty cool looking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,933 ✭✭✭✭banie01

ELM327 wrote: »
    Well, that car is still loading

The texture pack is a pay to play upgrade! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,821 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Disappointing.

Tesla have shown they can do MUCH better then this styling wise.

Open goal for VW to develop something nicer then this in my opinion.

So..
    Will get the tri motor version in 2022
    73524707_10158317237564528_308659963620753408_n.jpg?_nc_cat=102&_nc_oc=AQlK5xa2i6RJ77bYD442LLct3lBElw3I7RwWanloMwM0RIsNGeOs1D1HHMEfP2HMdqg&_nc_ht=scontent.fdub1-1.fna&oh=6ca75a374799cbb4b687261ed93025ca&oe=5E3FDA2E

Elon wasn't lying when he said that the design will be polarising. I think it's really cool especially the stainless steel but I suspect that Tesla has created a real coal rolling target now and on purpose too.

Well done ELM for ordering one. I'm tempted too tbh.

I just think it's hilarious looking.
    100 quid for a couple of years to decide (and pay off some of my model S loan!) is fair enough IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Definitely not a fan. Looks like something from Half Life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,154 ✭✭✭✭josip

How do Tesla (and other car companies keep) the appearance of this a secret until launch?
    There must be a large number of people involved in its production, plus designs, drawings, sketches, photos.
    How does nothing get leaked?

• Advertisement

josip wrote: »
    How do Tesla (and other car companies keep) the appearance of this a secret until launch?
    There must be a large number of people involved in its production, plus designs, drawings, sketches, photos.
    How does nothing get leaked?

Everyone working there believes in the company and the message.
    Either that and/or Elon is able to get buy in from everyone to not spill the beans beforehand

I like the great reveals

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭80sDiesel

Put down an order. Have been waiting for an electric pickup.

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭rivegauche

The FIAT Multipla and Ssangyong Rodius better watch out. There is a new boy on the block contending for the crown of ugliest car ever.
    Pontiac Aztec just looks bland in comparisson.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,110 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

At least the glass breaking lent an air of reality.

If that thing passes EU pedestrian collision tests, I would be more than surprised.

All four are an example of polarising design. I for some reason am always drawn to unusual designs so I applaud Tesla for the bravery. The folk with different tastes can get the GM/Ford version if they're in market for an electric pickup. All three should make it to market around same time whith this. And Rivian will be around too if you want just a touch of polarising image.

It's great to have genuine choice in the world of largely boring cars.

cnocbui wrote: »
    At least the glass breaking lent an air of reality.

If that thing passes EU pedestrian collision tests, I would be more than surprised.

I don't think the pickup trucks in general fare very well for pedestrian safety. At least with Tesla's design it will be easy to provide a nice and soft "bonnet".

• Advertisement

samih wrote: »
    I don't think the pickup trucks in general fare very well for pedestrian safety. At least with Tesla's design it will be easy to provide a nice and soft "bonnet".
    Since when is stainless steel soft(or easy to clean for that matter)
    Pedestrian mortality figures have been going up in recent years due to the higher stance of SUVs and Trucks. It isn't the saloons and hatchbacks that are killing people any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭PaulRyan97

Was just looking up the F-150 there, the most commonly sold variant in the US is the 2.7L ecoboost, according to the EPA it gets 22mpg (10.69L/100km). One of the most popular vehicles in the US would be one of the most fuel inefficient here.

I wonder what proportion of the existing market Tesla are going for. Is it urban users of pickup trucks, I'd hazard a guess that if your deep in nowhere Texas than you're probably a fair distance from a supercharger.

Get hit by that and you'll be going forward or under it. How hard or soft the bonnet is, is irrelevant. Those protruding wheel hubs look to be a significant potential hazard for cyclists.

rivegauche wrote: »
    Since when is stainless steel soft(or easy to clean for that matter)
    Pedestrian mortality figures have been going up in recent years due to the higher stance of SUVs and Trucks. It isn't the saloons and hatchbacks that are killing people any more.

I did point out that the pickup trucks are not typically safe for pedestrians. The bonnet can be made soft with the right thickness of materials and by not having an engine with ancillaries to stop the deflection happening. Also the steeply raked windscreen is kind to pedestrians compared to typical windscreen. Finally the autopilot should ensure that most of the contacts can be avoided by the time this launches.

margins on Trucks in the US are even higher than Tesla cars and German luxury cars.
    A small slice of that market would be very profitable.
    Personally I think Rivian or the Ford truck that will be based on a Rivian has a better chance of capturing the Conservative Republican demographic that buy Trucks.
    The more workmanlike you make a Truck look, the better it sells in the U.S.
    I've been following a US motor industry trends channel for quite a while and they're a strange bunch that buy full size trucks in the U.S.

Autoline on Youtube.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,087 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

I think it's cool as fυck! Vehicle design these days is so bloody bland. It's nice to see something that actually stands out.

I did point out that the pickup trucks are not typically safe for pedestrians. The bonnet can be made soft with the right thickness of materials and by not having an engine with ancillaries to stop the deflection happening. Also the steeply raked windscreen is kind to pedestrians compared to typical windscreen. Finally the autopilot should ensure that most of the contacts can be avoided by the time this launches.

Er - any impact where body deflection would be retarded by an engine would probably be at least 50 times over the fatality threshold for a pedestrian collision. The placement of the engine is irrelevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭PaulRyan97

https://ww.electrek.co/2019/11/22/tesla-cybertruck-vs-rivian-r1t-electric-pickup-comparison/

Damn, this could deal a hammer blow to Rivian. That price difference is something else.

Trucks aren't subject to the same safety regulations as Cars due to successful lobbying by the US Big Three Manufacturers.

PaulRyan97 wrote: »
    https://ww.electrek.co/2019/11/22/tesla-cybertruck-vs-rivian-r1t-electric-pickup-comparison/

Damn, this could deal a hammer blow to Rivian. That price difference is something else.
    Price isn't that important. They're paying around 70k average for full size trucks as it is and have no appetite for small ones which is why Honda and Nissan are struggling in the market.
    It is a really strange market that Europeans don't understand but I don't think Tech Geeks in northern California "get" it either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,404 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

I think it looks very unique, it's a bit like a Mars Rover , looks like it belongs on another planet. That is nailing the whole point of it's styling, suppose to look like it should be on another planet

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭pdpmur

Yep, as long as the pedestrian getting hit can make sure to conveniently hit the nice flat bit of the bonnet without first getting impaled on the almost spiky corners or getting their legs chopped off at the knee by the knife-edge bumper, everything should be fine!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,404 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

The glass breaking was funny, as normal glass in a side window of a car is pretty hard to break, could throw rocks at one countless times and it would not break, those windows in Tesla broke with one go.

pdpmur wrote: »
    Yep, as long as the pedestrian getting hit can make sure to conveniently hit the nice flat bit of the bonnet without first getting impaled on the almost spiky corners or getting their legs chopped off at the knee by the knife-edge bumper, everything should be fine!

I don't know what the construction of the front clip is like but as there won't be anything much mechanical in there Tesla can make the corners as soft as they want to.

cnocbui wrote: »
    Er - any impact where body deflection would be retarded by an engine would probably be at least 50 times over the fatality threshold for a pedestrian collision. The placement of the engine is irrelevant.

Tell that to the car manufacturers that are making the car fronts higher and higher to allow space under the bonnet for pedestrian safety.

• Advertisement
Advertisement