Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Cybertruck

Options

Comments

Markcheese wrote: »
    What's the legalities of parking something like that... Its probably a good foot wider than a regular car,

Not sure if there are any, it wasn't on double yellow lines or anything. Massive yoke, been appearing across the road every Sunday for tha last few weeks. Looks like a tradesmans truck, tool boxes etc in the back. Pimped out a bit with led light bar on top etc. Looks cool and I'd love to have a spin but probably very impractical around cork city centre where I am.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Mike9832

cnocbui wrote: »
    I wish governments would cop-on and base road taxes on vehicle weight. A significant shift to EV's, which weigh a lot, will see a significant rise in road damage and costs to repair them. They should have done it years ago to discourage the vehicle weight/size arms race that's been going on.

True

They'll wreck them

The Peugeot 208e weights the same as a transit van

1900kg lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭samih

Mike9832 wrote: »
    True

They'll wreck them

1900kg lol

I find that hard to believe. Gross vehicle mass maybe but transits are 2800-4600 gross depending on the version.

samih wrote: »
    I find that hard to believe. Gross vehicle mass maybe but transits are 2800-4600 gross depending on the version.

1900kg kerb weight alright, some lighter

https://www.anchorvans.co.uk/specifications/ford/transit/

Ford-Transit-Van-24-Tdci-Rwd-T350L-Lwb.jpg

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,158 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

slave1 wrote: »
    This (like all US pickups) is not for Irish roads, if you've been to the States and seen the F150, F150Sport, Silverado, Yukon, Yukon XL you'd know there's no way you could make your way on a L road if you meet any traffic and the turning circle to get it parked in an Irish car park is a joke.
    This is not the silver machine you are looking for, move along

Unexplained fires are a matter for the courts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,076 ✭✭✭✭KCross

True

They'll wreck them

1900kg lol

Diesel 208 is 1090kg.
    e208 is 1455kg

365kg extra wont wreck the roads considering they are designed for 40-ton trucks!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭samih

1900kg kerb weight alright, some lighter

https://www.anchorvans.co.uk/specifications/ford/transit/

My Sprinter had 2400 kg kerb so don't dispute the weight of an unladen Transit. I disputed that you said that a 208e weighs 1900 kg which it clearly doesn't.

Edit: As the poster above confirms, cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭jusmeig

That guy is on my ban list -> cnocbui, has been for ages.
    We don't pay "road tax", we pay Motor Tax (www.motortax.ie)

The weight of a vehicle is not a factor, but sure lets make it all about that now that we are clutching at any straws available to slow the move to EVs. If you don't like this one, we have "EVs run on dirty coal plants"...and also "children mining cobalt".

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,513 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I wish governments would cop-on and base road taxes on vehicle weight.

What's Road Tax? Never heard or paid this before?

KCross wrote: »
    Diesel 208 is 1090kg.
    e208 is 1455kg

365kg extra wont wreck the roads considering they are designed for 40-ton trucks!

Apologies

Don't know how I got that so wrong, it did seem very heavy

I usually don't get figures wrong

What a machine

gubnuv15uq041.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,764 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

KCross wrote: »
    Diesel 208 is 1090kg.
    e208 is 1455kg

Road wear isn't dependent on the heaviest vehicles, so much as the cumulative total weight passing along them. Motorways in the UK are designed for 40 ton trucks but still need a constant cycle of repair due to volumes. The damage to roads isn't a linear function of weight, it's a 4th power relationship. A large semi causes as much damage/wear as 9,600 cars. An 1,800kg Tesla model 3P will cause 3.7 times as much damage and wear to a road as a 1,300kg Honda Civic.

Governments may start out taxing EVs less initially, but ironically they are going to have to spend more on road maintenance as their numbers increase.

The Cyber truck will be an abomination, weight wise, not just visually, and will do a a huge amount more damage to roads, compared to sensible vehicles. Insurance costs should also be weight loaded.

kceire wrote: »
    What's Road Tax? Never heard or paid this before?

Precise nomenclature doesn't alter anything. Perhaps it makes you feel smarter, but whether it's motor tax or road tax, I think most people get the reference.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭sk8board

its telling that they are charging only $100 to reserve it - its a concept after all, and once they start to comply with all the US safety regulations it's going to have to look a different, and they could have a lot of cancellations/refunds.

by comparison, the model 3 was released in production format in march 2016 for $1000 deposit, and some of you lads with reservations from that date will get your car closer to March 2020, 4 years later.
    Imagine how long it will take to homologate this and get it to market, and then to the irish market? - 2023 at a big stretch - (and knowing Tesla I could reserve it in 2023 and still get it before the people with reservations today!)

I love the apathy they have to the usual truck design, but you need to see beyond the laser lights and marketing on this.

Precise nomenclature doesn't alter anything. Perhaps it makes you feel smarter, but whether it's motor tax or road tax, I think most people get the reference.

If one is to argue against every EV ever, then one should at least have their facts correct.
    People shouldn't feel smarter for using the correct terms in text. It should be standard. I'd rather use correct terminology than false facts.

Maybe they call it Road Tax in your Country? I'm not sure? Here, in Ireland its Motor Tax. Big difference.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,741 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Don't feed the troll

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

Padre_Pio wrote: »
    You'd be hard pressed to get a 5 series BMW into many car parks in Ireland. This is another 600mm wider again (two large rulers in my mind :) )

You could always park on top of the cars in the adjoining spaces. It's a big old beast alright. Would be a lot less concerned about door dings after seeing the demonstration.

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 64,891 ✭✭✭✭unkel

sk8board wrote: »
    its telling that they are charging only $100 to reserve it

I'd say half the reservations are from spotty teenage nerds using Daddy's credit card :p

The cynic in me says the limit was made so low on purpose to get a super high number of reservations within days and to get extra free publicity for the company by tweeting that growing number all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭JohnC.

It matters very much when you are obviously trying to tie it directly to road maintenance. Motor tax isn't tied directly to road maintenance. You deliberately used road tax to make it seem like a tax for the roads.

unkel wrote: »
    I'd say half the reservations are from spotty teenage nerds using Daddy's credit card :p

The cynic in me says the limit was made so low on purpose to get a super high number of reservations within days and to get extra free publicity for the company by tweeting that growing number all the time.

+1

I guarantee the deposit will increase in the near future. They wanted hype. They done that with the window smash and then the subsequent release of footage showing the window not smashing all day long beforehand.

Heck I was nearly tempted to place a deposit myself but really, I know deep down I can’t afford it :( I’ll guess I’ll keep saving for a second hand M3 or MS.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭Bigus

Image of Cybervan photoshopped on Reddit, I can’t seem to link .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

That g$#bag super car blondie says shes ordered one. I'd say musk gave her a free one as an advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 21,481 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

+1

I guarantee the deposit will increase in the near future. They wanted hype. They done that with the window smash and then the subsequent release of footage showing the window not smashing all day long beforehand.

Heck I was nearly tempted to place a deposit myself but really, I know deep down I can’t afford it :( I’ll guess I’ll keep saving for a second hand M3 or MS.

In fairness the base spec is $39k.. similar to model 3 sr+ which is 47k here
    The cybertruck (assuming it gets N1) will have less VRT to pay so may end up below 45k EUR. Hardly a stretch for a new EV these days. Heck, it's only 5k more than the paddy spec kona!

ELM327 wrote: »
    In fairness the base spec is $39k.. similar to model 3 sr+ which is 47k here
    The cybertruck (assuming it gets N1) will have less VRT to pay so may end up below 45k EUR. Hardly a stretch for a new EV these days. Heck, it's only 5k more than the paddy spec kona!

The problem is, id want the Performance one :)
    Same for the Ms or M3, i'll only buy when I can afford the P model, and the S, nothing below 90d.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,015 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Bigus wrote: »
    Image of Cybervan photoshopped on Reddit, I can’t seem to link .

This?

I suppose it's marginally better executed than my version, but whatever. :D

image.png

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭sk8board

absolutely. And you don't need to be a cynic - its simply a fact that there are regulatory things that will alter this truck before it gets to production, and also a fact that you won't see one in production for at least 2 years in the US (they said late 2021 and they are always late, so ...), and 3-4 years in ireland. Nonsensical to put a reservation on one.

Imagine if Peugeot took $100 deposits on their e-Legend concept ....

pug-concept-612.jpg?itok=1iQ5Dij3

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭kyote00

in fairness to the troll :D, it used to be called road tax before its was abolished in the 1970s by Fianna Fail - before rebranding and slowly creeping back to the levels of 'Motor tax' we have today...

people over a certain age still call it road tax....
    If one is to argue against every EV ever, then one should at least have their facts correct.
    People shouldn't feel smarter for using the correct terms in text. It should be standard. I'd rather use correct terminology than false facts.

Maybe they call it Road Tax in your Country? I'm not sure? Here, in Ireland its Motor Tax. Big difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭Bigus

Lumen wrote: »
    This?

I suppose it's marginally better executed than my version, but whatever. :D

image.png

Thanks Lumen,

Now that’s a nice van

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭carloscorreia

That's only to about 0.8 scale. Only a few more weeks to go before Tesla releases full self driving to make the Tesla Taxi real. Can't wait.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭80sDiesel

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.

Advertisement