Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Half-Life: Alyx (formerly: Half Life 3 is coming??)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,863 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I think a prequel is great. So much of the story between Half Life 1 and Half Life 2 remains unfilled. Seven day war, how the combine managed to exert their control and the growth of the resistance movement for example. We also know that the G-Man played a big role in rescuing Alyx from Black Mesa so his background could be explored in more depth too.

Don't get me wrong, I still want to see the conclusion of Half Life 2 / Half Life 3. But there would be some ****storm if that was a VR exclusive. I don't think that would be fair.

Yeah, release HL3 on Xbox 360, to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,180 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Absolutely
    There's good news and bad news to this.
    If it sells well, we would get a half life 3. But at the same time, if it sells too well why release another "normal" FPS so an eventual HL3 would be VR too.

Better to have it tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,240 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

I think a prequel is great. So much of the story between Half Life 1 and Half Life 2 remains unfilled. Seven day war, how the combine managed to exert their control and the growth of the resistance movement for example. We also know that the G-Man played a big role in rescuing Alyx from Black Mesa so his background could be explored in more depth too.

Don't get me wrong, I still want to see the conclusion of Half Life 2 / Half Life 3. But there would be some ****storm if that was a VR exclusive. I don't think that would be fair.

You mean Seven Hour War. Earth surrendered.
    Could be perfect length for VR. :D

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,466 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

You mean Seven Hour War. Earth surrendered.
    Could be perfect length for VR. :D

Earth Surrenders!

One of the things I missed from the original HL when it came to HL2 was the variety of enemy creatures. In HL2 the enemies are essentially the variety of different zombies and then the rest are combine enemies.

A game closer to the events of HL1 could have a greater variety. Although I'm guessing this game can't be too close to the events of HL1 as the ages won't match up.

One of the things that never was really explained in HL2 was how and why the vortigaunt's joined the human resistance. That would be interesting to explore, especially considering how much of an impact they have on the events of HL2 in aiding the player and
    bringing Alyx back to life

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Earth Surrenders!

One of the things I missed from the original HL when it came to HL2 was the variety of enemy creatures. In HL2 the enemies are essentially the variety of different zombies and then the rest are combine enemies.

A game closer to the events of HL1 could have a greater variety. Although I'm guessing this game can't be too close to the events of HL1 as the ages won't match up.

One of the things that never was really explained in HL2 was how and why the vortigaunt's joined the human resistance. That would be interesting to explore, especially considering how much of an impact they have on the events of HL2 in aiding the player and
    bringing Alyx back to life

I think the Vortigaunts joined humanity as they came from Xen, or were at least controlled by the Nihilanth in Xen, which Freeman killed at the end of HL1 (same went with all those races IIRC). So the freed Vorts then sided with humanitys own fight against enslavement.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,893 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The vortigaunts in HL1 are slaves. The friendly ones in HL2 don't have the slave collars of the ones in HL1.

Absolutely
    The vortigaunts ... great bunch of lads.

Absolutely
    So it gets revealed at 6 GMT. Just a youtube video that will get copied and uploaded a gegillion time? :pac:

So it gets revealed at 6 GMT. Just a youtube video that will get copied and uploaded a gegillion time? :pac:

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 16,362 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Shred

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The "It's unloaded now" line made me laugh out loud. Forgot how well Valve write their games. I wonder does the plot revolve around facilitating events to allow for Freeman's return?

It looks great, and I'd be lying if I said I didn't want to play this, but VR, VR... and looks 'very' VR too, so probably not something easily modded that it maintains its playability.

Mind you, going by how well the game looks, I suspect what passes for my gaming PC won't be able to run it anyway, so hey-ho :D

Looks incredible!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭KilOit

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Absolutely
    Sooooooo

I've just been sold on VR!

Time to sell the PSVR

Time to invest in a steam compatible headset / controllers

I really can't believe we are talking about a new Half Life game, honestly thought I'd never see the day again

• Registered Users Posts: 13,333 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I only have one good eye :(

1) “It’s not a side story, nor an episodic one — it’s the next part of the Half-Life story, in a game around the same length as Half-Life 2.”

2) “While it does take place before the events of Half-Life 2, we actually recommend that you play through Half-Life 2: Episode 2 before you play Half-Life: Alyx, for reasons that will become clear as you progress.”

3) “Of course, we’ll have to wait and see how people react to Half-Life: Alyx once it’s out, but we’d love to continue pushing forward.”

pixelburp wrote: »
    The "It's unloaded now" line made me laugh out loud. Forgot how well Valve write their games. I wonder does the plot revolve around facilitating events to allow for Freeman's return?

It looks great, and I'd be lying if I said I didn't want to play this, but VR, VR... and looks 'very' VR too, so probably not something easily modded that it maintains its playability.

Mind you, going by how well the game looks, I suspect what passes for my gaming PC won't be able to run it anyway, so hey-ho :D

It includes a level editor...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,466 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Fieldog wrote: »
    Sooooooo

I've just been sold on VR!

Looks like I'm the same!

The game comes free for current Index owners or if you purchase the Index before the end of 2019.

• Advertisement

"Valve says you’ll need a VR headset to play, because Half-Life: Alyx is expressly designed for virtual reality. It won’t be coming to flat screens and traditional controls. But intriguingly, you won’t need to buy the company’s own Valve Index — the company tells us the Oculus Rift, the Oculus Quest with the new Link cable, the HTC Vive, even Windows Mixed Reality headsets should work. Between nostalgia and the need for closure, I wonder if this is the moment a few million extra gamers buy into VR."

• Registered Users Posts: 23,117 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

I'll wait another 5-6 years for the FPS version on the PS6.

Wow, I’ll be preordering on payday. Or who knows, I might even upgrade to the index.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭KilOit

Absolutely
    Just have to accept VR eventually. Ready player one type stuff is bound to happen in the future

Absolutely
    That VNN guy on YouTube knew it all.
    It's existence. It's release date. How it would appear on other vr kits. It being a full length game. People slagged him in the comments of his videos. But he was all right.

I know VR isn’t for everyone, which is a shame as personally I love it and still play my Vive regularly 3+ years later. I’ve shown it to dozens of people, several who wouldn’t be remotely interested in gaming usually and the reaction’s always the same; their minds are blown! When I ordered it my wife was Fairly nonplused but then she tried it and said out loud “I can’t believe this cost less than a grand!” while wearing it :)

kowloon wrote: »
    I only have one good eye :(

Do you mean a lazy eye?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Absolutely
    Sweet mother of jesus!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

people have died waiting for this game just think about that for a second

F

• Advertisement

This is very funny, I use a Gear VR and have been positive about VR in talking to my son, he's been very dubious, always coming back with the negatives. He watched the release and seemed glum. A couple minutes ago, i said to him I'd like to play this and he said, 'well you'll be able to, I just bought an Index.' :cool:

Advertisement