Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Half-Life: Alyx (formerly: Half Life 3 is coming??)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,462 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

The current VR user-base is already small. Would have been a incredibly poor move to limit it solely to the Index.

Gaben knows...

Full Source 2 SDK kit is what will help this come to the forefront of VR in gaming also.
    The modding scene is still very strong in Half-Life to this day.
    Imagine the type of user level creations that will be made with HL:A comes out and beyond.

True. Valve want to be top dog when it comes to VR, but they know there needs to be collaboration if VR is to truly take off. Locking games to particular headsets would be a terrible move.

I’m really excited to think about the modding opportunities. Imagine the likes of Source Forts on VR where the player can tear down and build the world with their own hands. Class.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,728 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

You guys should relax a bit when it comes to the Index. It's majorly premium for a first VR purchase and the cost doesn't reflect a 2x+ jump in quality over the Rift S. It requires a much beefier computer as well so the cost becomes really substantial.

If you want to splash out, go for it. But don't get fooled into thinking you need an Index or that it's only worth playing on one.

My son asked the advice of someone who is a game developer who works on VR games and has used all the headsets and he said to get the Index.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭one armed dwarf

Index seems to be going for the tactile feedback stuff with those hand controllers, which seem a vital missed ingredient in a lot of other VR stuff.

Especially as the only thing that stands out in this Alyx trailer is the stuff with pushing buckets and rummaging on shelves.

Kind of seems to me they should be making something a bit more Portal esque here though. Or maybe this game will de-emphasise the action a bit and it's got lots of bits where you creep around headcrabs like at the start.

Main vibe I'm getting is a bit HL1. A more linear, claustrophobic environment. I doubt we'll be barrelling around in hovercrafts this time

• Registered Users Posts: 4,348 ✭✭✭Homelander

Absolutely
    cnocbui wrote: »
    My son asked the advice of someone who is a game developer who works on VR games and has used all the headsets and he said to get the Index.

Well that's a no brainer really, it's obviously the best technology, but it's also over double the cost of a Rift S while not being anything close to 2x better. If money was no object we would all have OLED tvs, 2080Ti graphics cards, and so on, no experts needed to state the obvious!

While a minority of people are of course happy to drop €1K+ on an Index, the Rift S is less than half that and still a great headset and gives a really good VR experience.

Also if you're dropping 1K on an Index you would really want a solid 1.5-2K PC to match, to give the truly optimal experience. It's not that you need a PC that expensive to run the Index, but if you are getting it at that price, it would not make sense to pair it with an average PC.

• Advertisement

Rift S is the way I'm going

Black Friday price fingers crossed

Understandable. He's been exposed to the headsets available and thinks it's the best.

The thing is though that the first Oculus Rift was amazing for me and then the Rift S was a great upgrade. Didn't stop the original being fantastic.

I'm just advising those new to VR to temper their spending. I love VR.. But I only do a couple of hours a week. I'm glad I didn't spend a lot on a new PC when I was hyped as my gaming laptop can do the job.

Every headset we have now is the beginnings of the market. The Index is not a 2.0. It's a Maserati in a world of nice BMW sedans. Great but still flawed in some way or another. The experience will be very similar on any of the current headsets.

I think this is good advice during the hype stage of a new Valve game.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Absolutely
    Been eyeing VR for awhile, mostly for VRchat which looks like a blast...

Might pick whatever's best available. Index? Already plan on getting a new high-end gaming rig just for CyberPunk2077 next year to compliment it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Damn that trailer is amazing, I need that game.

Of course, cost is always an issue, but if you are enticed by a demo looking fantastic, and want 'that' experience, half price isn't going to get you it.

You can run Forza 7 on an xbox One just fine, but on an a One X it is just so much better the price difference is worth it.

My son will be dropping around 700 on a CPU chip very soon - a purchase planned long ago - and now he's bought an Index because he thinks there is a good chance there will be supply issues later, and now I suppose a €500 graphics card will be next.

Anyone need any computer cases? There's two Corsair 88Rs to be had and some massive case you can get 3-4 graphics cards into and more HD's than you have. Maybe I should cancel the ad for the 1600w PSU... :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Absolutely
    Whats the craic with VR controller thingys?
    The index has those cool finger-digit controllers. Are they only for index? or could you use one with a HTC etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Absolutely
    Of course, cost is always an issue, but if you are enticed by a demo looking fantastic, and want 'that' experience, half price isn't going to get you it.

You can run Forza 7 on an xbox One just fine, but on an a One X it is just so much better the price difference is worth it.

My son will be dropping around 700 on a CPU chip very soon - a purchase planned long ago - and now he's bought an Index because he thinks there is a good chance there will be supply issues later, and now I suppose a €500 graphics card will be next.

Anyone need any computer cases? There's two Corsair 88Rs to be had and some massive case you can get 3-4 graphics cards into and more HD's than you have. Maybe I should cancel the ad for the 1600w PSU... :rolleyes:

There is absolutely zero reason to be spending €700 on a CPU these days if you are only planing to game on the system.

Venom wrote: »
    There is absolutely zero reason to be spending €700 on a CPU these days if you are only planing to game on the system.

Of course, but he's a game developer and wants all he can get to reduce render times for work - play is just a bonus.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Is that Rhys Darby's voice I heard in the trailer?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Absolutely
    Venom wrote: »

ummm is because I wanted it a reason? :pac:

/9900k

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Index seems to be going for the tactile feedback stuff with those hand controllers, which seem a vital missed ingredient in a lot of other VR stuff.

Especially as the only thing that stands out in this Alyx trailer is the stuff with pushing buckets and rummaging on shelves.

That's vr in a nutshell, not just the index. Pretty much since the launch games, VR has been about little things like that. The selling point for a lot of the FPS games initially was how detailed was the process of reloading etc.

Look up boneworks which is coming out next month for another half life like title and you can see doing **** like that is what VR is made for.

in fact here's their launch trailer which unfortunately picked a terrible time to drop: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kWBeyiXaig

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

That looks like a good game, maybe in a year they could release a non vr
    pc game based on the same story.
    it sounds great with high quality voice acting.
    Its not a just a basic vr game with nice graphics,
    it looks as if it was made by people who are real half life fans .
    It shows that valve can make a new game if they want.
    I feel like i have an xbox 1 ,and a great game comes out on the ps4 .
    I cant afford to buya vr device just to play one game.
    i wonder is that trailer in hdr , it looks beautiful.
    I,d prefer a xbox 1 x or a ps4 pro console with a 50 inch tv than a powerful pc .
    i don,t like playing game,s on a pc monitor with a mouse.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Absolutely
    VR needed a killer app.

It looks like it is getting one.

riclad wrote: »
    That looks like a good game, maybe in a year they could release a non vr
    pc game based on the same story.
    it sounds great with high quality voice acting.
    Its not a just a basic vr game with nice graphics,
    it looks as if it was made by people who are real half life fans .
    It shows that valve can make a new game if they want.
    I feel like i have an xbox 1 ,and a great game comes out on the ps4 .
    I cant afford to buya vr device just to play one game.
    i wonder is that trailer in hdr , it looks beautiful.
    I,d prefer a xbox 1 x or a ps4 pro console with a 50 inch tv than a powerful pc .
    i don,t like playing game,s on a pc monitor with a mouse.

I think you are missing something - the mouse and the monitor just died.

• Advertisement

Absolutely
    The index has those cool finger-digit controllers. Are they only for index? or could you use one with a HTC etc?
    Know that no specs have been released yet.
    But what's the ballpark price of a pc to run this people reckon?

Will be looking for a pc or laptop soon enough. So could always splash out more to play this. What's the average cost to run high end pc games these days?

So I have come to the conclusion you're all talking out of your holes in this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,348 ✭✭✭Homelander

Absolutely
    Because no-one answered? I didn't even notice your questions. I have no idea if the Index controllers are cross compatiable with the Vive, but PC wise, VR generally requires a higher-end PC for maximum enjoyment, dropped frames or stuttering is really immersion breaking. If talking about a new build, the ideal to run new normal games at ultra settings and also get a very good VR experience would be something a Ryzen 3600 + RTX2060 Super. There is not really much limit on a VR build because the best experience can be had from max settings at locked 90fps or whatever, so the best PC you can afford will show return in VR.

It can be done on a cheaper PC obviously, but that combo would be good for running normal games at 1080p ultra for ages and VR would run excellently also.

Ideally I would say for VR the dream combo would be a Ryzen 3700X or Intel 9700K and RTX2070 Super, I say that because the next step up in both areas is very expensive for far less gain (eg 3900x or 9900K + RTX2080 super)

A cheaper PC like a Ryzen 2600 + GTX1650 Super would be OK now for most games at 1080p high/ultra and would get through VR, but it's a shame to play VR any less than it should be really (eg, high stable framerate at max settings for best immersion)

also talking about the more demanding VR games here. Obviously there are loads of amazing VR games would run perfectly on an average graphics card/cpu combo.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

Vr is bloody awesome if you can use it, I might sell my rift cv1 and get an index for this

• Registered Users Posts: 33,006 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Is this some specific VR just for the game itself, or will it be on PSVR?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,215 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Reddit VR says that the Index controllers are compatible with a Vive

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

NIMAN wrote: »

Think it's PC only.

So I have come to the conclusion you're all talking out of your holes in this thread.

€1450, for the PC

Yes, the controllers are compatible with other headsets.

NIMAN wrote: »

A graphics card to run this will cost around 2.5 PS4s

• Registered Users Posts: 13,626 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

I have never even tried a VR game and i'm in the "wont it make you dizzy?" camp.

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Absolutely
    mrcheez wrote: »
    :rolleyes:

Cool post bro.

Advertisement