Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Does a crash devalue your vehicle after repairs?

• 14-11-2019 6:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭

Hi, first time posting on this particular forum I have no idea if I am posting in the right place or not.

A woman drove into the front of my van yesterday and I am seeing about getting a quote to repair it.

I think getting it written off would be my best bet and then just buy a new van.

I am trying to establish whether or not even if my van gets repaired will it have the same value as what was there before and put this amount as part of my claim?

Basically if your vehicle for example is worth €9,000 and has an accident and you get it repaired would it still be worth €9,000.

Thanking you in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

A crash will affect the value of a vehicle unless it's superficial damage, which yours doesn't sound like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭D3V!L

I had the same discussion with a solicitor after a bike crash. They adjusted the payout to take into account the reduction in value after the repair. Your van will be a damage repaired van so would technically be worth less than one the same had it not been crashed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭S.L.F

A crash will affect the value of a vehicle unless it's superficial damage, which yours doesn't sound like.

Definitely wasn't.

My mechanic puts repairs at around €2,000 and the van was bought last year for €4,250

D3V!L wrote: »
    I had the same discussion with a solicitor after a bike crash. They adjusted the payout to take into account the reduction in value after the repair. Your van will be a damage repaired van so would technically be worth less than one the same had it not been crashed.

Was there a % of the value or how does it worth...if you know that is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

It's the insurance company decides if it is a financial write off or not.

• Advertisement

Mooooo wrote: »
    It's the insurance company decides if it is a financial write off or not.

Do you know how much of a % a van will drop in value after a crash?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

S.L.F wrote: »
    Definitely wasn't.

My mechanic puts repairs at around €2,000 and the van was bought last year for €4,250

You won't be able to claim for depreciation. I'm presuming the pre-accident value of your vehicle indicates it is over 4 years of age, which is the usual cut off point.

Overall, I think you are approaching write off territory from the figure you quote

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭Whocare

Mod edit, no need for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,477 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

A €4000 vans value wouldn’t be really affected by small damage repair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,462 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

If it was a new van, you should absolutely be getting depreciation payment but on a van of this value, forget about it. General condition will matter more than whether it has had paint done.
    Insurer will likely write it off anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Do you know how much of a % a van will drop in value after a crash?

"Crash" is too loose a term. Did she hit you head on at 100km/h or brush you in traffic at 5km/h?

To give you any idea at all of approximate depreciation we'd need the make and model, year, mileage, DOE expiry, general condition of the van as well as a detailed description of the damage and breakdown of the estimate to repair.

A lot of vehicles are cosmetically repaired. A cosmetic repair shouldn't really devalue a vehicle too much, if at all. A cosmetic repair will devalue a vehicle less and less as the car ages.

A general depreciation contribution for cosmetic repairs in this country is usually 5% of the cost of repairs.

"Crash" is too loose a term. Did she hit you head on at 100km/h or brush you in traffic at 5km/h?

No hit me from the side just an inch away from the front left hand wheel.

In about 12 inches, my mechanic tells me I should not be driving it. (have a hire van now)

She hit me at maybe 30kpm and admitted liability.

To give you any idea at all of approximate depreciation we'd need the make and model, year, mileage, DOE expiry, general condition of the van as well as a detailed description of the damage and breakdown of the estimate to repair.

Citroen Relay 2011, 270,000 miles, Oct CVRT expired, van in good condition overall but failed CRVT.

Can't give a breakdown of costs because my mechanic has not given me one yet.

A lot of vehicles are cosmetically repaired. A cosmetic repair shouldn't really devalue a vehicle too much, if at all. A cosmetic repair will devalue a vehicle less and less as the car ages.

Definitely not just cosmetic

A general depreciation contribution for cosmetic repairs in this country is usually 5% of the cost of repairs.

We're beyond a cosmetic job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,652 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

An 8 year van with 270k miles and failed the DOE

Depreciation due to crash repair €1

These are two of the pictures I got.

I told her at the scene that the main thing I was concerned about that eveyone was okay.

73346510_2526501234303508_2313658561202225152_o.jpg?_nc_cat=101&_nc_oc=AQlGObjQkssMWp4ixmBNw8Udhi5Zu1DmdQ7Qg6H1j9A_bvcaubfI0goyi17hv8GsPBE&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=43832be46c8f10a8cea3fe53bf10dc72&oe=5E530573

74332012_2526501267636838_6354789364408516608_o.jpg?_nc_cat=101&_nc_oc=AQlEOhJTLNFGZOVKzo0Gp7T1z0LI_xcOgo2_z0qD9dtA2X4ULfH5xmf0o-W-wWiBHD0&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=a0e424433398570459fce62a1b00d738&oe=5E58D387

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

That's light.... Obviously some suspension parts will be needed but it ain't a right off or going to depreciate more because of it....

There is near 300k miles on it.

That's only a tip ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Squall Leonhart

I was rearended a couple of years back, bought the car for 3,600. Repairs came to 3,100. I was fairly sure it'd be a write off by the insurer, but it wasn't, they paid for repairs. So don't count on a write off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,438 ✭✭✭jippo nolan

Driving a van with an expired doe is asking for trouble, van will be inpounded on the spot.

Driving a van with an expired doe is asking for trouble, van will be inpounded on the spot.
    It's pretty obvious he's not right in the head looking for it to be written off

Definitely not just cosmetic
    We're beyond a cosmetic job.
    74332012_2526501267636838_6354789364408516608_o.jpg?_nc_cat=101&_nc_oc=AQlEOhJTLNFGZOVKzo0Gp7T1z0LI_xcOgo2_z0qD9dtA2X4ULfH5xmf0o-W-wWiBHD0&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=a0e424433398570459fce62a1b00d738&oe=5E58D387

Obviously I haven't inspected the van, but at face value I cant see a reason why that's anything more than cosmetic. Maybe a little suspension/ mechanical but nothing too unusual. Cant picture structural damage from that.

Ballpark guestimate €1k ish if there's no suspension work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

And no way that was a 30kmh impact. You’re looking for a ‘touch’, plain and simple.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Whocare wrote: »
    Are you right in head ? It minor accident

Someone sideswiped my wifes car last year when it was parked, compound rubbed out a few scratches and all that was left was a few marks on the wheel and broken wing mirror. I drove the car and something wasnt right, turns out the rear axle was broken..

Not fair to judge by a picture.

Insurer paid out as a write off.

garv123 wrote: »
    Someone sideswiped my wifes car last year when it was parked, compound rubbed out a few scratches and all that was left was a few marks on the wheel and broken wing mirror. I drove the car and something wasnt right, turns out the rear axle was broken..

Insurer paid out as a write off.
    It pretty obvious the op is not right. It old van it not 192 he should be just happy to have it fix and anyway it shouldn't even be on road without cvrt test

Asking will a crash devalued it my it old banner like he must be joking

Whatever about the van, it's much more likely to be curtains for the focus :pac: wing, bumper, headlight bonnet, unless it gets second hand parts fitted at mates rates it's probably game over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭Dia_Anseo

If the OP took his van to a Citroen main dealership to fix his 2011 van, as is his right, the quote would be quite high arounf 3k perhaps plus rental etc.

Taking the van to a one man garage and that quote will half.

I had a coupe car that was wrongly towed onto back of the lorry bending the plastic. As my car should not have been towed in the first place I took it to a main dealer who quoted me a whole new front end at 3k, just because the towing wire bent the bumper slightly. Luckily I had it on dash cam. I could have got a 2nd hand bumper for 200 e and in fact I left the bent bumper like that when I sold it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

I'd be double checking whether the lack of DOE invalidated my insurance too.

R.O.R wrote: »

No nct would invalidate my car insurance

In this instance I assume op's insurance aren't gonna be fussy as no-fault claim

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

R.O.R wrote: »

Of course it does, a vehicle has to be road worthy to be insured and if it doesn't have a CVRT it can't be road worthy. Unfortunately in this country it doesn't matter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,438 ✭✭✭jippo nolan

Del2005 wrote: »
    Of course it does, a vehicle has to be road worthy to be insured and if it doesn't have a CVRT it can't be road worthy. Unfortunately in this country it doesn't matter.

Depends on what guard you meet, I met the wrong one!

Dia_Anseo wrote: »
    Taking the van to a one man garage and that quote will half..

I took it to a garage, not a main dealer and they have quoted over two grand thus far ie €800 for labour (or there abouts and possibly another pile for parts)

I am still waiting for the final figure as he is waiting for prices for parts.

• Advertisement

Whatever about the van, it's much more likely to be curtains for the focus :pac: wing, bumper, headlight bonnet, unless it gets second hand parts fitted at mates rates it's probably game over.

Apparently her brother is a mechanic.

garv123 wrote: »

I showed this to a friend of mine who understands vans and he started talking about chassis, suspension and mounts and all sorts of other things.

He was telling me if someone wanted to cause the most damage they really could not pick a better spot.

Depends on what guard you meet, I met the wrong one!

I'd say you meet the right one and everyone else meets the wrong one.

I took it to a garage, not a main dealer and they have quoted over two grand thus far.

I am still waiting for the final figure as he is waiting for prices for parts.

Sounds like there I'd no quote this far. Just an eyeball ballpark "could be" figure.
    I showed this to a friend of mine who understands vans and he started talking about chassis, suspension and mounts and all sorts of other things.

He was telling me if someone wanted to cause the most damage they really could not pick a better spot.

You'll get all sorts of shoulda, woulda, coulda types of opinions on this sort of a thing.

Sure if they hit the other side of the van at 120km/h they could have killed you and if they rear ended you, they couldn't have found a better place to hit to damage your cargo.

Take the van to a reputable garage, get an itemized estimate and go from there.

Is this going through an insurance claim?

Sounds like there I'd no quote this far. Just an eyeball ballpark "could be" figure.

He reckons about €800 (labour) from the view he had of it, plus parts.

I'm not a mechanic so I am not in a position to talk about it.

You'll get all sorts of shoulda, woulda, coulda types of opinions on this sort of a thing.

Sure if they hit the other side of the van at 120km/h they could have killed you and if they rear ended you, they couldn't have found a better place to hit to damage your cargo.

The same thing happens with working with sash windows, lots of people seem to be experts at this until the window ends up too difficult to repair.

Take the van to a reputable garage, get an itemized estimate and go from there.

Is this going through an insurance claim?

The quote I am getting is through a reputable garage, quote is taking time because he needs a list of prices for parts due to the accident.

Yes it is going through an insurance claim she called her insurance co and admitted liability.

Anyway,

thanks to all who have commented (bar one), the assessor was out and judged it was not economical to repair it and they decided to write it off.

Cost of repairs would have been about €1,950

The cost of a 2011 Citroen Relay in good condition would be about €4,500 but as I have repairs to do to the van to get it through the CVRT so I accepted less than that.

The van is due to be scrapped.

Over all it has been painful experience with me having to reorganise work and now empty the back of my van and get a new van on the road now as well.

Again thank you all for your contributions

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭pm1977x

I think I recognise that weird roundabout, is it in Sallynoggin at the back of Power City? People boot down that road even though limit is 30.

pm1977x wrote: »
    I think I recognise that weird roundabout, is it in Sallynoggin at the back of Power City? People boot down that road even though limit is 30.

I always thought people booted down the Noggin road more often myself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

I don't understand why people are claiming the van had no DOE. These people need to be reported to a mod for misinformation!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭micar

I see the ford had L Plates.

Was the person driving a learner driver and if was she driving alone. If so, her insurance is invalid.

micar wrote: »
    I see the ford had L Plates.

Was the person driving a learner driver and if was she driving alone. If so, her insurance is invalid.

Their insurance will still be valid for 3rd parties, which the insurance companies have started to recoup through the courts, even if it's not valid for them.

• Advertisement

tuxy wrote: »
    I don't understand why people are claiming the van had no DOE. These people need to be reported to a mod for misinformation!

OP reply 20th or so post

:Oct CVRT expired, van in good condition overall but failed CRVT."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,548 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

The other party's insurance company should be paying for the hire of a replacement van for a reasonable time in addition to the write off value of your van.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭pm1977x

I always thought people booted down the Noggin road more often myself

That too, but since the new lights at the junction cars coming from Pearse bomb down past the shops to that roundabout as if it's a main road, very dangerous and some kid is going to get killed one of these days if drivers don't slow down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,574 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Hope you're not too much out of pocket,
    Its stressful whenever it happens and especially when you are without your work vehicle for a few weeks..
    Someone I knew had his 4 month old van written off, he just assumed the other parties insurance would cover a new van, nope, they reckoned he should be paying for a 191,while driving a second hand 181..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Markcheese wrote: »
    Someone I knew had his 4 month old van written off, he just assumed the other parties insurance would cover a new van, nope, they reckoned he should be paying for a 191,while driving a second hand 181..

The insurance companies have a list of that vehicles are worth. That's what decides the payout. What exactly happened here?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭seagull

Most insurance policies have a clause that they will replace the vehicle if under 6 months old without the damage being that severe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,574 ✭✭✭Markcheese

tuxy wrote: »
    The insurance companies have a list of that vehicles are worth. That's what decides the payout. What exactly happened here?

Not sure of the ins and outs of the insurance company, someone coming Off a night shift, just drove out in front of him, I'm sure it'll be more than just the van though, he was in hospital for a few days, couldn't work for a while, stock and equipment wrecked...
    I think he said they'd have replaced it, if it had been a car, but book value for a van...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,477 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Insurance companies don’t replace used cars with other used cars.

Markcheese wrote: »
    Not sure of the ins and outs of the insurance company, someone coming Off a night shift, just drove out in front of him, I'm sure it'll be more than just the van though, he was in hospital for a few days, couldn't work for a while, stock and equipment wrecked...
    I think he said they'd have replaced it, if it had been a car, but book value for a van...

So it's not about his vehicle and there are signs already that the insurance will not fully cover medical and loss of earnings?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

If you claim through insurance and they bother to dot the i's and cross the t's and notice you are out of DOE there could be bother.

• Advertisement
Advertisement