Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Does a crash devalue your vehicle after repairs?

• 14-11-2019 5:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭S.L.F

Hi, first time posting on this particular forum I have no idea if I am posting in the right place or not.

A woman drove into the front of my van yesterday and I am seeing about getting a quote to repair it.

I think getting it written off would be my best bet and then just buy a new van.

I am trying to establish whether or not even if my van gets repaired will it have the same value as what was there before and put this amount as part of my claim?

Basically if your vehicle for example is worth €9,000 and has an accident and you get it repaired would it still be worth €9,000.

Thanking you in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

A crash will affect the value of a vehicle unless it's superficial damage, which yours doesn't sound like.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭D3V!L

I had the same discussion with a solicitor after a bike crash. They adjusted the payout to take into account the reduction in value after the repair. Your van will be a damage repaired van so would technically be worth less than one the same had it not been crashed.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭S.L.F

A crash will affect the value of a vehicle unless it's superficial damage, which yours doesn't sound like.

Definitely wasn't.

My mechanic puts repairs at around €2,000 and the van was bought last year for €4,250

D3V!L wrote: »
    I had the same discussion with a solicitor after a bike crash. They adjusted the payout to take into account the reduction in value after the repair. Your van will be a damage repaired van so would technically be worth less than one the same had it not been crashed.

Was there a % of the value or how does it worth...if you know that is

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

It's the insurance company decides if it is a financial write off or not.

• Advertisement

Mooooo wrote: »
    It's the insurance company decides if it is a financial write off or not.

Do you know how much of a % a van will drop in value after a crash?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

S.L.F wrote: »
    Definitely wasn't.

My mechanic puts repairs at around €2,000 and the van was bought last year for €4,250

You won't be able to claim for depreciation. I'm presuming the pre-accident value of your vehicle indicates it is over 4 years of age, which is the usual cut off point.

Overall, I think you are approaching write off territory from the figure you quote

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭Whocare

Mod edit, no need for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,364 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

A €4000 vans value wouldn’t be really affected by small damage repair.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,199 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

If it was a new van, you should absolutely be getting depreciation payment but on a van of this value, forget about it. General condition will matter more than whether it has had paint done.
    Insurer will likely write it off anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Do you know how much of a % a van will drop in value after a crash?

"Crash" is too loose a term. Did she hit you head on at 100km/h or brush you in traffic at 5km/h?

To give you any idea at all of approximate depreciation we'd need the make and model, year, mileage, DOE expiry, general condition of the van as well as a detailed description of the damage and breakdown of the estimate to repair.

A lot of vehicles are cosmetically repaired. A cosmetic repair shouldn't really devalue a vehicle too much, if at all. A cosmetic repair will devalue a vehicle less and less as the car ages.

A general depreciation contribution for cosmetic repairs in this country is usually 5% of the cost of repairs.

"Crash" is too loose a term. Did she hit you head on at 100km/h or brush you in traffic at 5km/h?

No hit me from the side just an inch away from the front left hand wheel.

In about 12 inches, my mechanic tells me I should not be driving it. (have a hire van now)

She hit me at maybe 30kpm and admitted liability.

To give you any idea at all of approximate depreciation we'd need the make and model, year, mileage, DOE expiry, general condition of the van as well as a detailed description of the damage and breakdown of the estimate to repair.

Citroen Relay 2011, 270,000 miles, Oct CVRT expired, van in good condition overall but failed CRVT.

Can't give a breakdown of costs because my mechanic has not given me one yet.

A lot of vehicles are cosmetically repaired. A cosmetic repair shouldn't really devalue a vehicle too much, if at all. A cosmetic repair will devalue a vehicle less and less as the car ages.

Definitely not just cosmetic

A general depreciation contribution for cosmetic repairs in this country is usually 5% of the cost of repairs.

We're beyond a cosmetic job.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

An 8 year van with 270k miles and failed the DOE

Depreciation due to crash repair €1

These are two of the pictures I got.

I told her at the scene that the main thing I was concerned about that eveyone was okay.

73346510_2526501234303508_2313658561202225152_o.jpg?_nc_cat=101&_nc_oc=AQlGObjQkssMWp4ixmBNw8Udhi5Zu1DmdQ7Qg6H1j9A_bvcaubfI0goyi17hv8GsPBE&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=43832be46c8f10a8cea3fe53bf10dc72&oe=5E530573

74332012_2526501267636838_6354789364408516608_o.jpg?_nc_cat=101&_nc_oc=AQlEOhJTLNFGZOVKzo0Gp7T1z0LI_xcOgo2_z0qD9dtA2X4ULfH5xmf0o-W-wWiBHD0&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=a0e424433398570459fce62a1b00d738&oe=5E58D387

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

That's light.... Obviously some suspension parts will be needed but it ain't a right off or going to depreciate more because of it....

There is near 300k miles on it.

That's only a tip ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Squall Leonhart

I was rearended a couple of years back, bought the car for 3,600. Repairs came to 3,100. I was fairly sure it'd be a write off by the insurer, but it wasn't, they paid for repairs. So don't count on a write off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭jippo nolan

Driving a van with an expired doe is asking for trouble, van will be inpounded on the spot.

Driving a van with an expired doe is asking for trouble, van will be inpounded on the spot.
    It's pretty obvious he's not right in the head looking for it to be written off

Definitely not just cosmetic
    We're beyond a cosmetic job.
    74332012_2526501267636838_6354789364408516608_o.jpg?_nc_cat=101&_nc_oc=AQlEOhJTLNFGZOVKzo0Gp7T1z0LI_xcOgo2_z0qD9dtA2X4ULfH5xmf0o-W-wWiBHD0&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=a0e424433398570459fce62a1b00d738&oe=5E58D387

Obviously I haven't inspected the van, but at face value I cant see a reason why that's anything more than cosmetic. Maybe a little suspension/ mechanical but nothing too unusual. Cant picture structural damage from that.

Ballpark guestimate €1k ish if there's no suspension work.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,856 ✭✭✭dodzy

And no way that was a 30kmh impact. You’re looking for a ‘touch’, plain and simple.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Whocare wrote: »
    Are you right in head ? It minor accident

Someone sideswiped my wifes car last year when it was parked, compound rubbed out a few scratches and all that was left was a few marks on the wheel and broken wing mirror. I drove the car and something wasnt right, turns out the rear axle was broken..

Not fair to judge by a picture.

Insurer paid out as a write off.

garv123 wrote: »
    Someone sideswiped my wifes car last year when it was parked, compound rubbed out a few scratches and all that was left was a few marks on the wheel and broken wing mirror. I drove the car and something wasnt right, turns out the rear axle was broken..

Not fair to judge by a picture.

Insurer paid out as a write off.
    It pretty obvious the op is not right. It old van it not 192 he should be just happy to have it fix and anyway it shouldn't even be on road without cvrt test

Asking will a crash devalued it my it old banner like he must be joking

Whatever about the van, it's much more likely to be curtains for the focus :pac: wing, bumper, headlight bonnet, unless it gets second hand parts fitted at mates rates it's probably game over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭Dia_Anseo

If the OP took his van to a Citroen main dealership to fix his 2011 van, as is his right, the quote would be quite high arounf 3k perhaps plus rental etc.

Taking the van to a one man garage and that quote will half.

I had a coupe car that was wrongly towed onto back of the lorry bending the plastic. As my car should not have been towed in the first place I took it to a main dealer who quoted me a whole new front end at 3k, just because the towing wire bent the bumper slightly. Luckily I had it on dash cam. I could have got a 2nd hand bumper for 200 e and in fact I left the bent bumper like that when I sold it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,672 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

I'd be double checking whether the lack of DOE invalidated my insurance too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

R.O.R wrote: »

No nct would invalidate my car insurance

In this instance I assume op's insurance aren't gonna be fussy as no-fault claim

• Registered Users Posts: 18,812 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

R.O.R wrote: »

Of course it does, a vehicle has to be road worthy to be insured and if it doesn't have a CVRT it can't be road worthy. Unfortunately in this country it doesn't matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭jippo nolan

Del2005 wrote: »
    Of course it does, a vehicle has to be road worthy to be insured and if it doesn't have a CVRT it can't be road worthy. Unfortunately in this country it doesn't matter.

Depends on what guard you meet, I met the wrong one!

Dia_Anseo wrote: »
    Taking the van to a one man garage and that quote will half..

I took it to a garage, not a main dealer and they have quoted over two grand thus far ie €800 for labour (or there abouts and possibly another pile for parts)

I am still waiting for the final figure as he is waiting for prices for parts.

• Advertisement

Whatever about the van, it's much more likely to be curtains for the focus :pac: wing, bumper, headlight bonnet, unless it gets second hand parts fitted at mates rates it's probably game over.

Apparently her brother is a mechanic.

Advertisement