Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Judgement day for Maria Bailey.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

rob316 wrote: »
    Life lesson, if you want to come across sincere, you apologize first not defend your actions.

She still doesn't think she has done anything worthy of her been sanctioned.
    I think she's accepted a sanction "upon mature reflection" but feels this is a step too far.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,883 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

She had 2 options, play the victim or apologize and come clean.

I imagine the advice she was give was to play the victim, therefore becoming the only villain. I think it has played out exactly how some people hoped.

Hopefully she spills the beans, her political career is over but she has a life after.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

JeffKenna wrote: »
    She's the lady who was discriminated against because she wasn't given all Ireland final tickets if I remember correctly. Also rang up a few thousand of phone bills to her Nigerian boyfriend, all on the tax payer!

It was to Kenya and the phone costs were 3295 Euros but she paid it back when caught.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭tomwaits48

a classic non apology apology

RedParrot wrote: »
    God, that radio interview is a sickener.

I listened to it again. The level of arrogance is incredible - she clearly feels superior to Sean and the general public.

• Advertisement

I just wanna say well done to all you anonymous sources who continued to reignite this story. This woman does not and should not represent her constituency.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,333 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

I just wanna say well done to all you anonymous sources who continued to reignite this story. This woman does not and should not represent her constituency.

dont worry she will be a senator soon

We should have a meetup before Xmas to celebrate the result. How does the Dean hotel sound as the venue? The amigos are more than welcome too.
    At the end of the day, it's only politics ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

I really hope not. Surely FG will have to draw a line in the sand with her from here on in. Nothing surprises me though

Josepha, if you’re reading this, you haven’t been forgotten you know.

• Advertisement

She might try but even if Leo gets back in as Taoiseach couldn't see him nominating her. I think a return to civilian life is much more likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

She still doesn't realise that it's the blame culture people have a problem with. She fell off a swing and thought it must be someone else's fault, I want money.

Still blaming everyone else for this situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭pawdee

I think it's time to lay off Maria Bailey now at this stage. Ok, what she did was despicable and I have very little sympathy for her but at the same time hounding somebody like that isn't nice.

She only has herself to blame but I don't like the mob mentality. She must be feeling pretty low and now she's being mocked because her press statement is typed in comic sans (tragic really). She must be thinking she can't do anything right. Seemingly she can't.

Anyway, it's all academic now. I'm all for accurate reporting but I think some people are going overboard on this one. I see her replacement is a lady called Jennifer Carroll-MacNeill, a barista who's married to Willie John McBride.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Being discussed on R1 now

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

pawdee wrote: »
    I see her replacement is a lady called Jennifer Carroll-MacNeill, a barista who's married to Willie John McBride.

I'd say Leo loves his coffee alright.

And it's Hugo MacNeill she's married to.

I think it's time to lay off Maria Bailey now at this stage. Ok, what she did was despicable and I have very little sympathy for her but at the same time hounding somebody like that isn't nice.

She only has herself to blame but I don't like the mob mentality. She must be feeling pretty low and now she's being mocked because her press statement is typed in comic sans (tragic really). She must be thinking she can't do anything right. Seemingly she can't.

Anyway, it's all academic now. I'm all for accurate reporting but I think some people are going overboard on this one. I see her replacement is a lady called Jennifer Carroll-MacNeill, a barista who's married to Willie John McBride.
    Barrister and Hugo McNeill! This is how rumours start!:P

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Wheety wrote: »
    She still doesn't realise that it's the blame culture people have a problem with. She fell off a swing and thought it must be someone else's fault, I want money.

i dont think this has even come into her head. no one cares about her anonymous conspiracy theories or the internal workings of the FG party - its simply she tried to sue a business for a cash pay out due to her own stupidity and carelessness. personal responsibility is a thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,333 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

is_that_so wrote: »
    She might try but even if Leo gets back in as Taoiseach couldn't see him nominating her. I think a return to civilian life is much more likely.

which alternative reality of irish politics did you drag that from ?

dont get me worng i think she should be kicked to civvy street asap , although i suspect she'll have no problems getting on some board or other that renumerates her in the manner she has become accustomed to. just the way the system works. (takes off cynic hat) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,007 ✭✭✭✭rob316

When leisure businesses are closing down because of outrageous insurance prices I have zero sympathy for her. The public are sick of insurance costs increasing year on year. I don't think fraudulent claims are the problem but its the exaggerated blame someone claims are. She even tries to say the hotel offered to pay for my medical bills. Is she blissfully unaware that the hotel don't pay that its their insurance that does?

If she had any sort of cop on and wan't to fix her rep she would of resigned not waited for her party to succumb to public pressure.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭MonsterCookie

Yeah I agree. some of the comments aimed at her on Twitter are horrible (calling her a whore for example).

Unfortunately for her, she made it a much bigger story than it needed to be, and never really accepted what she did was awful: then blaming anonymous sources and playing the gender card...

• Advertisement

i get what youre saying and dont like to see someone kicked when theyre down and had she gone gracefully this wouldnt be happening. but she went full brass neck, hung on tooth and nail despite the writing being on the wall after the SOR interview. Tenacity is an admirable quality but not when you've been caught out in a dishonerable endeavour.

Wheety wrote: »

Her interview smacks of arrogance, says she doesn't have to justify it she was legit hurt. Maybe she was but that doesn't mean it's someone else fault.

I must be how I was raised but if that happened to me, I'd laugh, whoever I was with will laugh and call me an idiot and that will be the end of it. Even I broke something I wouldn't be looking to blame someone. Hell I can think of many situations something like this has happened and I've just shrugged it off. It's a swing that has a seat about 2 feet above the ground, unless your a moron its relatively safe. They have been installing them in children's playgrounds forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭newport2

She appears to think she can't do anything wrong more like. Everyone is just out to get her.

She had a fall when she was out drinking (who hasn't) but was able to run a marathon within a couple of weeks. If she can't see what the problem with her claim was, she should not be in public office.

All she had to do was acknowledge she made a bad call and apologise and this would be long over. It's because she went on a whinge-fest and is still playing the victim card that she is getting so much stick.

had she apologised straight away and said it was a poor judgment call she'd still be on the dun laoghaire ticket and we wouldnt be talking about this

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Absolutely no sympathy for her and far too little far too late for FG to be trying to save face in an oncoming election

She should have been immediately dismissed when this emerged.

Instead they tried to bury it and wait it out.

Then forced do a sham investigation. And buried that. And Then cleared her.

They made a complete balls of this and people won’t forget.

I’ll never vote FG ever again.

I'd Be confident you Never voted FG anyway....

Remember too FG are deselecting her as a candidate as she hasn't a prayer of winning a seat in that constituency. It hurts her sure but she was never getting relected anyway.

Remember too FG are deselecting her as a candidate as she hasn't a prayer of winning a seat in that constituency. It hurts her sure but she was never getting relected anyway.

According to Maria they are DELETING her not deselecting.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭tigger123

She's going to be Terminated perhaps?

No shes been deselected as a candidate for the next general election. They didn't even remove the party whip which is what I thought they would but they weighed up and realized she wouldn't get a vote so dumped her. Hurts her not the party.

• Advertisement

No shes been deselected as a candidate for the next general election. They didn't even remove the party whip which is what I thought they would but they weighed up and realized she wouldn't get a vote so dumped her. Hurts her not the party.

I know. It’s just what she says in her statement that they’ve deleted her :D

Advertisement