Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Judgement day for Maria Bailey.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

her statement speaks of anonymous sources, wonder if she has any idea who these are...

Hugh O'Connell broke the story, brother in law of Kate O'Connell. I wonder, Kate O'Connell is known to have big ambitions and was one of the first to remove Maria Bailey from her social media after the story broke, long before the internal inquiry. And they were very friendly before that.

I wonder if there is anything in that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Auguste Comte

She deserves every bit of it . The genuine business in this country are closing over dubious claims against there insurance .

Premiums for some are mortgage figures now ! And the likes of what has been said her numerous times , lead by example!
    Some advice this lady got from her husband to so called friends and solicitors !

It wasn't the dodgy claim that got her binned it was the bad publicity she brought on "the party", that's all that matters. If it was anything to do with honesty, ethics or decency Alan Farrell would have been out on his greedy arse long ago.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 418 ✭✭high_king

I didn’t vote for them. Try harder.
    I’ll never vote FG ever again.

lol, have you ever thought of being a dodgy politician, it would suit you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭NewRed2

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    In fairness I voted FG in 2011 with great hope and Endas new politics and contract for Ireland bull****. I can think of at least 10 reasons not to vote for them. .

Just 10 ?

I'll be chuffed to get the chance to vote them out.

Anyway, maybe not the thread for it but bring on an election.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

CageWager wrote: »
    Now the tone will change to the gender victim card. The reality is that MB was a lightning rod for the electorate’s anger at politicians always slithering their way out of misdeeds with no accountability.

That came up on the Tonight Show

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,624 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Found this bit interesting.
    Ms Bailey and her legal representative addressed the national executive members for around half-an-hour with the TD said to have made an impassioned plea to be retained on the ticket. She referred to her family, including her late father Fine Gael councillor John Bailey who died last July.

However, one Fine Gael source said that that the TD’s remarks were largely an effort to justify her actions during the swing-gate controversy and that they "removed any sympathy that might have been in the room" for her.

The source claimed that people at the meeting "were genuinely taken aback by her lack of humility"

Sounds like she went into the room and went full Sean, Sean but Sean on them. She still doesnt accept she has done anything wrong. Could be dangerous times ahead for FG.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,318 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Found this bit interesting.

Sounds like she went into the room and went full Sean, Sean but Sean on them. She still doesnt accept she has done anything wrong. Could be dangerous times ahead for FG.

She really shouldn't be let out by herself. Has she learned anything?
    Also, she either hgas the worst advisors or she just doesn't take on board anything anyone says. Remember she turned up for Sean O Rourke with a media spin doctor yet managed to go completely rouge then turned up at this meeting with a lawyer and still managed to make the situation worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Muahahaha wrote: »

I'm in her constituency, strong vibe of, 'I'd like to speak to the manager'. Pursed lips and haughty hubris. Never voted for her.

John Bailey had a really annoying habit of fully blocking the footpath with an 'election van' (party logo and his face) outside his home. Everytime I passed the place it would rub me the wrong way.. (if you're local you'll know exactly where I'm talking about, a choice of muddy grass or road.. just before a busy junction, cheers..)

EDIT: I really wish, 'political families' would just sod off, the amount of flyers that pop through the letterbox, where the first point mentioned is that a family relative, usually the father, was a TD or councillor.. that will never encourage me to vote for you, ever!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,718 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Hugh O'Connell broke the story, brother in law of Kate O'Connell. I wonder, Kate O'Connell is known to have big ambitions and was one of the first to remove Maria Bailey from her social media after the story broke, long before the internal inquiry. And they were very friendly before that.

I wonder if there is anything in that.

Kate is very much on the Coveney side of the party.
    She's very capable, but she's going nowhere while Leo is in the big seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,044 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

KevRossi wrote: »
    She won’t run as an Independent, she has too much to lose with her friends and neighbors in the area. She’ll work behind the scenes and might get nominated back to her old council seat if someone leaves early.

She won’t be nominated for a Seanad seat either, she doesn’t have much dirt on existing people in the party. Her father had contacts and connections and knew where the skeletons were.

But Maria was just a poor little rich Daddy’s girl who threw away a golden throne.

I reckon if her Dad was still around she eouldnt have lost that vote in FG Dun Laoghaire.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭chooseusername

mickdw wrote: »
    She really shouldn't be let out by herself. Has she learned anything?
    Also, she either hgas the worst advisors or she just doesn't take on board anything anyone says. Remember she turned up for Sean O Rourke with a media spin doctor yet managed to go completely rouge then turned up at this meeting with a lawyer and still managed to make the situation worse.

Mick, I don't think this wan has blushed since her confirmation.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

What would be the chances of her appearing on some random radio talk show to give her side of the story, and really set a cat among the pigeons?

By all accounts she went kicking and screaming, which is ironic because so too did Leo when he was finally forced to actually fcuking sanction her.

Gloves will be off now, skin and hair will be flying shortly I imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,326 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

What would be the chances of her appearing on some random radio talk show to give her side of the story, and really set a cat among the pigeons?

By all accounts she went kicking and screaming, which is ironic because so too did Leo when he was finally forced to actually fcuking sanction her.

Gloves will be off now, skin and hair will be flying shortly I imagine.
    Not sure that would be a good idea given her last memorable radio appearance...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

sligojoek wrote: »
    Just watching the Tonight Show. Michelle Mullhearne is not a happy camper.

Tell us more. Was she asked about her dodgy expenses?

• Registered Users Posts: 67,598 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Next for the high jump - the analyst/expert who claimed this would 'blow over in a month'. :rolleyes:

Tell us more. Was she asked about her dodgy expenses?

She said she wonders would it have been such a big issue if Maria had been a man.

Later in show they were talking about hospital waiting times and she didn’t have a clue what she was talking about. She spoke for a few minutes and I couldn’t make out what she was trying to say at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,924 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

gmisk wrote: »
    Not sure that would be a good idea given her last memorable radio appearance...

Bring it on Maria.

Please.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

She said she wonders would it have been such a big issue if Maria had been a man.

Later in show they were talking about hospital waiting times and she didn’t have a clue what she was talking about. She spoke for a few minutes and I couldn’t make out what she was trying to say at all.
    That defence will always appear anyway, support of a colleague and all that. Very poor judgement is what landed her here, not gender.

Extremely poor politician. Complete chancer too. Surprised she went on the Tonight show to defend Bailey given her own history. I think she will lose her Seanad seat next.

Are you talking about Mulherrin? She is a TD. She might lose but there's a strong FG vote out wesht!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Christ, that letter reads like it's still everyone else to blame.
    She may be right about a few of them, and should let us know who they are and why they are to blame :rolleyes: :)
    She's also correct about Leo's handling of this.

is_that_so wrote: »
    Are you talking about Mulherrin? She is a TD. She might lose but there's a strong FG vote out wesht!

Yes. Mulherrin is not a TD since 2016. She is in Seanad now.

Yed. Mulherrin is not a TD since 2016. She is in Seanad now.
    Ah yes, misread the info on her.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

I heard that quote on the radio and thought I had misheard it. I wonder does she have Alan Farrell in mind.

is_that_so wrote: »
    Ah yes, misread the info on her.

Senator Mulherrin was 2nd on the list for dodgy expenses in the recent audit. 2000 euros worth. Nest building before her career ends.

She was 2nd behind Farrell with Bailey in 3rd for dodgy expenses.

Stay classy Fine Gael.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,007 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I'm delighted the public and the media never left it go and FG had to remove her. A lesson to the rest of the painfully unaware TDs out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Senator Mulherrin was 2nd on the list for dodgy expenses in the recent audit. 2000 euros worth. Nest building before her career ends.

She was 2nd behind Farrell with Bailey in 3rd for dodgy expenses.

Stay classy Fine Gael.

She's the lady who was discriminated against because she wasn't given all Ireland final tickets if I remember correctly. Also rang up a few thousand of phone bills to her Nigerian boyfriend, all on the tax payer!

Oh she’s the phone call lady.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 RedParrot

They can only be faulted for trying to do sweet fcuk all about it, other than try to bury it under some utter bullsh1t excuse of a report, no one was allowed to see except them, that apparently portrayed them all as one step below cherubs with gold wings and shyting out rainbow dust.

Only when the local member's said enough is enough, we don't want someone of this calibre to be standing in this area did the party leaders take steps to remove her.

Just so people are reminded, this is the type of public representative they allowed to stay put and install resentment within the public electorate who are being hammered with insurance costs, while Leo and his mates wage campaigns about how fraud cheats everyone.

Strokes and skulduggery are ok, so long as it's one of their own was the message I took from the whole sorry affair.

God, that radio interview is a sickener.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,007 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Life lesson, if you want to come across sincere, you apologize first not defend your actions.

She still doesn't think she has done anything worthy of her been sanctioned.

Advertisement