Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread 4.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,996 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

Wanna feel old?

The Phantom Menace turns 20 this year!!

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Salted caramel is revolting.

Discuss.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Salted caramel is revolting.

Discuss.

There is nothing to discuss. It's like pineapple on a pizza. Criminal.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,037 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Your all turnip munchers!!!

Rogue One. Bloody great film

I thought it was bang average. Definitely a good concept and some great scenes but the story fell flat for me and it was riddled with inconsistency.

• Advertisement

Podge_irl wrote: »
    I have no issue with nerdy stuff. Would have been a massive Star Trek fan back in the day and still fairly fond of it. Always thought it both built a universe better and had more interesting and thought provoking storylines than anything Star Wars offered up. The original SW trilogy is good, and I may be missing something by having seen them much later on, but I think the 3rd one is pretty close to average even if the first and second are excellent. I also think they did a poor enough job of building the universe - though as you say it has been filled out by much ancillary material.

They are completely different concepts though.

Star Trek is far more conventional and grounded. It's intended to exist in our universe - just a future version of it but the rules of our universe apply in Star Trek. It's pure science fiction.

Star Wars is pure fantasy. None of the rules of our universe exist or apply and without those boundaries it's story telling is generally on a far grander scale.

I always liked both, gave up on Star Trek after DS9 though - only half watched voyager and haven't watched anything since. I've no interest in the new Star Wars movie, unless the reviews are sensational I'll give it a hard pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

molloyjh wrote: »
    There is nothing to discuss. It's like pineapple on a pizza. Criminal.

Pineapple on pizza is wonderful.
    Don't compare to salted caramel please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

Wanna feel old?

The Phantom Menace turns 20 this year!!

I still remember the anticipation. Months of hype and merchandise and speculation.

And I still remember the look we all gave each other when we came out of the cinema.

There are some wounds that time cannot heal.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,037 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

i have to admit, ive really enjoyed 'Dirk Gently' on netflix....

definitely watch it if your a fan of the douglas adams / dr who type storytelling

• Administrators Posts: 53,385 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

The only star wars movies I've ever watched are the original 6 ones. They're alright, pretty cheesy though.

The danish actor whose name i forget in the prequels was rubbish.

• Advertisement

I'm interested in seeing how this trilogy closes out, even if they haven't set anything up . Kylo Ren is an interesting character. Force Awakens was good on first viewing. Thought Rogue One was bad. I wasn't invested from the outset as I felt it was a story that didn't need to be told. I turned off Solo half way through.

awec wrote: »
    The only star wars movies I've ever watched are the original 6 ones. They're alright, pretty cheesy though.

The danish actor whose name i forget in the prequels was rubbish.

Hayden Christiansen. Hes Canadian.

I'd be a fairly big Star Wars fan. The original trilogies were great. Unless you saw them late, because by then they'd seem cheesy given how they influenced the movie industry since then.

The expanded universe had some great stuff in it too and built a pretty unbelievable universe with so much depth. That said there was some rubbish in there too.

Then came the prequels. They were poor. I don't hate them the way some do, but they were not good.

Then came the latest trilogy. I wasnt overly pushed on the first one, but again didnt hate it. If it led to an interesting story in the remaining 2 films then I'd have been happy to consider it functional. The last one was nonsense though. Completely ran counter to some of the characters without bothering to explain why, had a sub plot that did basically nothing at all and another that made no sense. It almost seemed to sabotage the franchise. And so without anything to back it up, the first film is now just a lazy film followed by a crap film. My interest in the upcoming one is almost non existent. I know it's out next month sometime, but no clue when.

The other films that Disney released were, at best, mixed. Solo was nothing more than meh, while Rogue One was a great idea that just never lived up to its potential. Had some great elements but overall was little more than fine.

Its mad. I'm a big fan but don't like most of the films. It's the expanded universe that is the reason for that. A lot of that was a lot truer or closer to the original trilogy in quality than any of the "official" productions since. I'd have loved a Kyle Katarn film from the Jedi Knight series.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,710 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Hayden Christiansen. Hes Canadian.

I'd be a fairly big Star Wars fan. The original trilogies were great. Unless you saw them late, because by then they'd seem cheesy given how they influenced the movie industry since then.

The expanded universe had some great stuff in it too and built a pretty unbelievable universe with so much depth. That said there was some rubbish in there too.

Then came the prequels. They were poor. I don't hate them the way some do, but they were not good.

Then came the latest trilogy. I wasnt overly pushed on the first one, but again didnt hate it. If it led to an interesting story in the remaining 2 films then I'd have been happy to consider it functional. The last one was nonsense though. Completely ran counter to some of the characters without bothering to explain why, had a sub plot that did basically nothing at all and another that made no sense. It almost seemed to sabotage the franchise. And so without anything to back it up, the first film is now just a lazy film followed by a crap film. My interest in the upcoming one is almost non existent. I know it's out next month sometime, but no clue when.

The other films that Disney released were, at best, mixed. Solo was nothing more than meh, while Rogue One was a great idea that just never lived up to its potential. Had some great elements but overall was little more than fine.

Its mad. I'm a big fan but don't like most of the films. It's the expanded universe that is the reason for that. A lot of that was a lot truer or closer to the original trilogy in quality than any of the "official" productions since. I'd have loved a Kyle Katarn film from the Jedi Knight series.
    The Last Jedi is my favourite of all the Star Wars films. It opened up the entire franchise to do whatever it wanted. It made a conscious effort to move away from the destiny bull**** that every other mainline film was chock full of. Ray is a nobody, but it doesn't matter that she is because even a nobody can save the galaxy. But reading through plot synopsis for the third film, it looks like we're going back to the cliched plotlines.

The biggest problem with the new franchise is the lack of joined up thinking. They gave the first film to JJ Abrams who set up a sort of mystery plotline surrounding Rey. But then they changed directors to Rian Johnson and gave him the license to depart from what the first film set up. I much preferred Johnson's film and tbh I think Abrams is a bit of a hack anyway. But they should either have stuck with what Abrams started, or never made him director in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,601 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Watchmen is excellent but a mix of absurd and disturbing at times.

I'm a fan of watchmen. But I wonder if there is much mystery left. There are 5 more episodes and it feels like there should be two.

One episode of watchmen was enough for me. Film was decent enough. I'm just so done with super heroes at this stage. Add in the creator of Lost and that's a big nope from me.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,100 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

sydthebeat wrote: »
    i have to admit, ive really enjoyed 'Dirk Gently' on netflix....

definitely watch it if your a fan of the douglas adams / dr who type storytelling
    It's excellent and a great pity it only lasted two seasons.

Clegg wrote: »
    The Last Jedi is my favourite of all the Star Wars films. It opened up the entire franchise to do whatever it wanted. It made a conscious effort to move away from the destiny bull**** that every other mainline film was chock full of. Ray is a nobody, but it doesn't matter that she is because even a nobody can save the galaxy. But reading through plot synopsis for the third film, it looks like we're going back to the cliched plotlines.

The biggest problem with the new franchise is the lack of joined up thinking. They gave the first film to JJ Abrams who set up a sort of mystery plotline surrounding Rey. But then they changed directors to Rian Johnson and gave him the license to depart from what the first film set up. I much preferred Johnson's film and tbh I think Abrams is a bit of a hack anyway. But they should either have stuck with what Abrams started, or never made him director in the first place.

Elements of it were excellent but it had chances to go in interesting new directions and didnt. Rey has had next to no struggle whatsoever. It's all come so easy that it's hard to get in anyway involved in the character. The entire story is contingent on us believing that Luke did something to someone he knew who had done nothing wrong that he didnt do to someone he didnt know who was one of the most evil men in the galaxy. And we were given no reason for this sudden change in who he was. Like a lot of things in it, Johnson seemed to do it to he different, and not to facilitate and interesting story.

As for Leia and her Guardians of the Galaxy slash Mary Poppins moment, well that can just FRO.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,336 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Elements of it were excellent but it had chances to go in interesting new directions and didnt. Rey has had next to no struggle whatsoever. It's all come so easy that it's hard to get in anyway involved in the character. The entire story is contingent on us believing that Luke did something to someone he knew who had done nothing wrong that he didnt do to someone he didnt know who was one of the most evil men in the galaxy. And we were given no reason for this sudden change in who he was.

It's an awful film and this is the crux of it for me. Johnson butchered Luke's character and you can tell from interviews how pissed off Hamill was about it. That bit where you go from one of the most powerful scenes in the previous film, Rey finally finding Luke and offering up his lightsaber to him ... to Luke throwing it away for comic relief says it all. Johnson just doesn't get Star Wars.

The idea that Luke bloody Skywalker after all he's been through would try and kill a teenager, his nephew, for what he might become is laughable as a plot point.

Rey doesn't have any character, let alone any character flaws, she's perfect and everything just works for her. Quite why Leia is supposed to give a **** about her is beyond me; oh the father of my child is dead, who do I console and grieve with, one of my and his oldest friends, or some young one that I've just met. Give me a break... I probably won't even bother seeing the last one until it comes out on whatever site I download off.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,961 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

I freely admit that I'm a Star Wars nut. As a kid I had the original trilogy on VHS, the toys, bedding, pyjamas etc. As an adult I bought the movies on DVD. I now have all the movies saved on a hard drive, I go to the cinema to see them on my own, I have Star Wars tshirts. I even have Star Wars tattoos.

I love the films. Even the bad ones. I don't analyse them at all, I just enjoy the escapism. When I'm watching a Star Wars movie I feel like a kid again. No matter how many times I've seen it.

And amazingly, I have a wife that loves me!!!!

What is the Mandalorian being shown on? Amazon?

Ps. Those of you slagging off Rogue One, give yourselves an uppercut. It's one of my favourites.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,336 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    Ps. Those of you slagging off Rogue One, give yourselves an uppercut. It's one of my favourites.

It's easily the best of the recent stuff. Probably top 3 overall. Empire, Jedi, Rogue One.

• Advertisement

The only reason I didn't like Rogue One was the weirdness of putting such an important event in the timeline directly before IV without ever mentioning it.

I freely admit that I'm a Star Wars nut. As a kid I had the original trilogy on VHS, the toys, bedding, pyjamas etc. As an adult I bought the movies on DVD. I now have all the movies saved on a hard drive, I go to the cinema to see them on my own, I have Star Wars tshirts. I even have Star Wars tattoos.

I love the films. Even the bad ones. I don't analyse them at all, I just enjoy the escapism. When I'm watching a Star Wars movie I feel like a kid again. No matter how many times I've seen it.

And amazingly, I have a wife that loves me!!!!

What is the Mandalorian being shown on? Amazon?

It's on disney+ which isn't available over here until march. I can make it available to you if you aren't familiar with ... buying apples on the fruit black market.

It's on disney+ which isn't available over here until march. I can make it available to you if you aren't familiar with ... buying apples on the fruit black market.

:D:D

Thanks. I will just get my brother-in-law to download it for me. If it was on Amazon, I was going to get it. There's a couple of other shows on Amazon that I wouldn't mind watching so I'm already contemplating it. Anyone here got Amazon TV? Whats it like compared to Netflix?

... buying apples on the fruit black market.

You need a different proxy for talking about proxies otherwise we're going to have a lot of fruit discussions and no idea where Brexit ends and virtual politics networking begins.

I will never understand why they didn't recast everyone and use the Timothy Zahn novels. Light years ahead of the Abrams nonsense.

Go from there to the invasion saga and that's 6 movies + with exceptional source material.

:D:D

Thanks. I will just get my brother-in-law to download it for me. If it was on Amazon, I was going to get it. There's a couple of other shows on Amazon that I wouldn't mind watching so I'm already contemplating it. Anyone here got Amazon TV? Whats it like compared to Netflix?

I'd say Prime is around 25% of the service Netflix is. There are 8 or 9 good shows and 20 - 30 good movies.

On prime I've watched.

All or Nothing (the rugby one with the All Blacks)
    The US Office
    Man in High Castle
    Mr Robot
    Mavellous Mrs Maisel (which I quite enjoyed, don't judge)
    Fleabag
    The Boys

The future looks decent for it though. It's getting better for sports, particularly if you like Tennis. And they obviously have Lord of the Rings TV show coming soon.

I will never understand why they didn't recast everyone and use the Timothy Zahn novels. Light years ahead of the Abrams nonsense.

Go from there to the invasion saga and that's 6 movies + with exceptional source material.

Never read any of the books. Which is mad seeing as I love the movies and I read a lot. Judging by your post, the books are good? You would recommend them?

errlloyd wrote: »
    I'd say Prime is around 25% of the service Netflix is. There are 8 or 9 good shows and 20 - 30 good movies.

On prime I've watched.

All or Nothing (the rugby one with the All Blacks)
    The US Office
    Man in High Castle
    Mr Robot
    Mavellous Mrs Maisel (which I quite enjoyed, don't judge)
    Fleabag
    The Boys

The future looks decent for it though. It's getting better for sports, particularly if you like Tennis. And they obviously have Lord of the Rings TV show coming soon.

Man in High Castle and The Boys (couple of good kiwi actors) are 2 of the reasons I'm thinking of Amazon. Another is Tom Clancy's Jack Ryan. Loved the books, enjoyed the movies (the earlier ones were better) so thought I'd give the TV show a look.

When is the LOTR show due out?

Tennis wouldn't be high on my list of sports I like watching. GS finals maybe. What other sports are they getting?

Never read any of the books. Which is mad seeing as I love the movies and I read a lot. Judging by your post, the books are good? You would recommend them?

The Zahn trilogy is the most faithful and interesting follow up to the original movies. The continuity of storytelling is pitch perfect and it picks up shortly after Jedi. I read them a long time ago but absolutely loved them. Grand Admiral Thrawn is a brilliant character.

The invasion story arc is not as strong but would make great movies. The premise is that Palpatine started the Empire because of the threat of a species from another galaxy that were preparing to invade. When they sensed the death of the emperor they began their invasion and the new Republic had to repel them. How is that not awesome!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,383 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

The Boys is absolutely excellent.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement