Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread 4.0

Options

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 53,384 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

So hot on the heels of requiring a new work laptop, my home PC has now died.

Do you need monitors and all for that cash?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,336 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

I'm going to do a new build - budget 1500 - 2000. Anyone done a custom build recently or have any recommendations?

These lads are great:https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=842

They'll sort you out, including if you need peripherals, windows, etc. Sounds like you don't though.

What died? Is none of it salvageable?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,021 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

I'm going to do a new build - budget 1500 - 2000. Anyone done a custom build recently or have any recommendations?

I did one recently for very similar. Mobo is Aorus x570, GPU is the AMD 3700x, GPU is the 2070 Super.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,797 ✭✭✭b.gud

"What do we want?"
    "More Housing"
    "When Do we want it?"
    "Now"
    "Where do we want it?"
    "Nowhere near me or I'll object to it"
    "Not near me either"
    "If you try and build near me I'll tie you up in so many legal cases you won't know what hit you"

• Advertisement

awec wrote: »

Do you need monitors and all for that cash?

Nope, have 2 x monitors and all required peripherals.

I'll retain and refit the current pc for the kid - but I'm going with a fresh build for this.

What died? Is none of it salvageable?

Partially salvageable but I'm going to keep this as a gaming rig for the kids and gradually repair it over the next six months separately. It's a good few years old now and whilst it still runs everything for the most part it's actually quite outdated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭MaybeMaybe

MaybeMaybe wrote: »

I've never owed an apple product and in the long run I think I'll benefit from that fact...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,098 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

I've never owed an apple product and in the long run I think I'll benefit from that fact...
    Your typo is soooooo accurate. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭shootermacg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭shootermacg

A lot of devs go with Apples, because of the lack of variety. So if something runs on one laptop, it should run on all the others...because they are the same.

I've never owned one and I doubt I ever will.

Old Mac books, I'm talking like 10-15 years ago, we're some of the best built laptops I've ever had. Their construction was so far ahead of Wndows PCs it was crazy. I still have a Macbook but only because work pays for it. If I was spending my own money I do t think there's any way I could justify it.

Speaking of expensive Mac hardware the new Mac Pro is out just in time for you Venjur https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2019/12/10/21003636/apple-mac-pro-price-most-expensive-processor-ram-gpu

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

So after 4 years of ignoring/managing the pain I'm going into hospital today for a double hernia operation.
    Eldest daughter has been a great help with her google searches....

"Dad....There's a 35% chance you could die in this operation but seeing as yours is a double that means there's an 80% chance".

*On a completely unrelated note does anyone know someone who does maths grinds?*

• Subscribers Posts: 41,037 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Best of luck MF!

Can't help with your daughters maths, but maybe she was adding on 10% for luck :D

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Best of luck MF!

Can't help with your daughters maths, but maybe she was adding on 10% for luck :D

She corrected herself!! There is a 0.19% chance of dying from this particular type....Then it's 80% of that if it's a double!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,961 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

mfceiling wrote: »
    She corrected herself!! There is a 0.19% chance of dying from this particular type....Then it's 80% of that if it's a double!!

I assume that we are all in your will. Not that I'm wishing you ill-will or anything...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,996 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Bad news: she's right

Good news: your daughter understands non-linear math

:pac:

Hope all went well today MF!

Bit mad. Had the op and it was incredibly quick and simple. Zero pain after it and just a bit groggy after the anaesthetic. This morning however.... mother of Jesus.
    Anyone know where you can buy morphine??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,179 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Bit mad. Had the op and it was incredibly quick and simple. Zero pain after it and just a bit groggy after the anaesthetic. This morning however.... mother of Jesus.
    Anyone know where you can buy morphine??

Couple of Neurofen and you'll be grand!

I can't stand morphine. Have been on it several times and it never failed to cause nausea and make my face itchy as hell.

After any surgery it's going to take several days before you start to feel right again with the anaesthetic in your system. The pain? You're on your own there! My dad had hernia surgery years back and it took him a couple of days before he could be back on site even just to look over things.

Buer wrote: »
    Couple of Neurofen and you'll be grand!

I can't stand morphine. Have been on it several times and it never failed to cause nausea and make my face itchy as hell.

After any surgery it's going to take several days before you start to feel right again with the anaesthetic in your system. The pain? You're on your own there! My dad had hernia surgery years back and it took him a couple of days before he could be back on site even just to look over things.

I'm taking 6 weeks off!! Can't be dealing with january at the best of times.

I'm taking 6 weeks off!! Can't be dealing with january at the best of times.

Milking it for all it's worth aye? ;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Milking it for all it's worth aye? ;)

Says the lad who's usually still in bed when MF has half a day's work done!

Zzippy wrote: »
    Says the lad who's usually still in bed when MF has half a day's work done!

I’m up early these days about 7:20 usually. Changed man!

Oh man, this is even funnier that you call 7.20 early! :D

My 1 year old slept until 11 am this morning 7:20 is early :D

Still dark outside, which indicates that it’s still night time.

Getting up in the night is early.

b.gud wrote: »
    My 1 year old slept until 11 am this morning 7:20 is early :D

Get. Out!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I'm an hour in work at that stage!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement