Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greta and the aristocrat sail the high seas to save the planet.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,522 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    And how was this yacht funded?

OMG, the irony.

This isn't about the yacht or the owners, it's about Greta trying to do what she can do to limit carbon emissions.

I know it's complicated (well, it isn't, but some struggle to grasp this).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭ForestFire

Another misleading news article on BBC news home page:-

"Venice mayor blames record flood on climate change"

Let's be clear, It's not a record flood, they had a higher flood than this 50 years ago, in the 60s! Records do not start at a date to suit an agenda.

Also can someone point to the scientific evidence that clear shows this specific flood is due to climate change, as the Venice major has claimed?

What was the higher lood in 1966 due to? Was that also climate change?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

ForestFire wrote: »

Let's be clear, It's not a record flood, they had a higher flood than this 50 years ago, in the 60s! Records do not start at a date to suit an agenda.

Also can someone point to the scientific evidence that clear shows this specific flood is due to climate change, as the Venice major has claimed?

Also found it a strange article. The mediteranian has small tides anyway, only 1 metre between high and loe tide afaik.

ForestFire wrote: »

Article on it here.

Tides in Venice are classified as “exceptional” when they exceed 140 cm (55.1"), which is enough to flood 59% of the city. According to City of Venice records, exceptional tides have occurred:

• only once from 1872 to 1950;

• about once every 5 to 10 years in the late 20th century;

• and—ominously—10 times in just the last two decades, including this week’s event.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Quoting per capital is nonsense, nothing we do will effect the global climate it's a tax grab and some ordinary idiots in the street are supporting politicans with that narritive, we should have been on the streets looking for Pascal's head for the carbon tax and refusing to give us the 2 cent on fuel he's literally thieving off us on top of the carbon tax.
    We need to stop pumping human **** into our rivers and beaches before we even think about anywhere else.
    We're recovering from a friggin ice age of course the planets going to warm and there's sweet fa Pascal and his taxes can do about it. 2/3 degrees will do Ireland no harm over the next couple of thousand years.
    Greta should be in school, she's a lot to learn yet.

Probably the most accurate response on this thread...yet.

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,927 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Im pretty sure one day Greta will be more educated than anyone on boards so the stay in school thing is a bit ridiculous

• Registered Users Posts: 28,120 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Nothing to worry about? Man made climate change and global warming don't exist as we are only recovering from an ice age? Excellent. Stupid scientists.

Where do you think the ice came from, a warm spell?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

Im pretty sure one day Greta will be more educated than anyone on boards so the stay in school thing is a bit ridiculous

I doubt she will ever be as educated as me. I think I speak for 99% of the people on boards and their educations levels.

Everybody except you perhaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,364 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Where do you think the ice came from, a warm spell?

Global cooling?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,364 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

She's certainly wiser. Go Greta!

• Advertisement

easypazz wrote: »
    I doubt she will ever be as educated as me. I think I speak for 99% of the people on boards and their educations levels.

You think 99% of people on Boards have 3rd level qualifications? Because I suspect that that is the minimum which she will achieve.

Also, I strongly suspect that once she completes an undergrad course that a Masters and Phd would be within her reach purely if she used the subject of being an opinion former in the 21st century. I mean, that's just her own experience right there.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

You think 99% of people on Boards have 3rd level qualifications? Because I suspect that that is the minimum which she will achieve.

Also, I strongly suspect that once she completes an undergrad course that a Masters and Phd would be within her reach purely if she used the subject of being an opinion former in the 21st century. I mean, that's just her own experience right there.

Lol

Let her finish secondary school first, before you take out that crystal ball.

Personally I think there’s a higher chance of her writing a manifesto and going loco.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,935 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

easypazz wrote: »

I know plenty of people with third level education that aren't very intelligent. Greta would be far more educated than them already. Either that or its the incredibly rich that benefit massively by ignoring climate change and spouting lies that the less intelligent people will believe.

And as a scientist the deniers of clear scientific evidence are usually the least intelligent people I meet.

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    Lol

Let her finish secondary school first, before you take out that crystal ball.

Personally I think there’s a higher chance of her writing a manifesto and going loco.

Quoted for posterity.

I don't know about her academic ability, but I do know Universities will be falling over themselves to offer her full scholarships.

I would add, given her capacity to engage on the topic as she has done, I don't think it will be a question of whether or not she is capable of college.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭ForestFire

Article on it here.

Is the headline factual or just a lie?

Can this flood be directly liked to climate change, or not? Not only that, its the only reason given for this event by the mayor! Where did he get this info?

Venice is sinking and has been for long time, do you think this could have an impact and increase rate of flooding, for a city bulit on mud only 1m above sea level!

What was the cause of the higher flood in 1966?

Again lll say the message seems to be..

Just listen to the scientists, but if that's not enough, sure just some stuff I made up too to scare your taxes from you...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Venice has flooded 6 times in the last 1200 years. Just saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Quoted for posterity.

I don't know about her academic ability, but I do know Universities will be falling over themselves to offer her full scholarships.

I would add, given her capacity to engage on the topic as she has done, I don't think it will be a question of whether or not she is capable of college.

never mind scholarships, she'll be bombarded with honorary degrees and doctorates

• Registered Users Posts: 5,878 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

never mind scholarships, she'll be bombarded with honorary degrees and doctorates

I reckon it will be a toss up between Cambridge or Oxford, she will come in dead handy when it comes to the boat race.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

Venice has flooded 6 times in the last 1200 years. Just saying.

• and—ominously—10 times in just the last two decades, including this week’s event.

^from the other posters linked article

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Quoted for posterity.

Which universities have offered her full scholarships? Link?

• Advertisement

I reckon it will be a toss up between Cambridge or Oxford, she will come in dead handy when it comes to the boat race.....

That's actually very funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

^from the other posters linked article

Hasn't Venice been sinking in the last 20/30 years because the city authority has been pumping drinking water out from under the city?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/nov/02/when-will-venice-sink-google

Interesting article from the guardian on how changes to the lagoon have caused more frequent food events in Venice

jesus theyre predicting her ****in masters degrees now

what is it with ye and throwing wild predictions at unknown events a decade from now

hold hands, close eyes and wish, everyone

jesus theyre predicting her ****in masters degrees now

what is it with ye and throwing wild predictions at unknown events a decade from now

hold hands, close eyes and wish, everyone

Some of us think of the future rather than staying buried in the past.

Some of us think of the future rather than staying buried in the past.

is it not mid november 2019 where you are?

we all coexist in the present, which i believe is currently theorised as an experiential interface in linear spacetime..listen to the *science*

the problem with certainty, and especially in the young or immature, is that there's often little correlation between it and, well.....how events turn out.

Was it Melbourne said "I wish I were half so sure of anything as Macauley is of everything" or somesuch.

No lesser a genius than Kelvin himself famously predicted all there was to know had pretty much been worked out bar the stuff on the margins in or around 1897.

Aside from portraying anyone who takes issue with a figurehead child (as an unquestionable symbol of ~science~, no less- no irony there!) as an idiot, a luddite, a ~denierrrr~ (you can hear the pitchforks being handed out, cant you), the greta-is-great mob are also, imo, betrayed by their *certainty*

it often comes across as little more than a need for a cause that matches their requirement for strident self-righteousness. global crises are good for that.

science, confident in itself, welcomes interested doubt. not sloganeering and not closed ranks outside which all are branded heretic.

good public policy likewise does not rush to demonize the cynics or the doubtful.

a group that behaves in the above fashion stands in company with any other populist mob in history.

brrr, chilling stuff.

^^^^

Science has spent 30 years, at least, allowing the cynics and the doubters to have their say.

It's time to face up to reality.

ah jaysus, everything is solved just in time for you to be tritely certain about it on the internet!

what are the odds :-D

by any chance you're not age in or around 30 are you?

edit: greta has been a phenomenon for in or around a year. be some achievement for anyone to have been doubting the spiel for thirty times that.

you wouldn't be conflating doubts about the goddess with climate-change denial again, would you? that would be awfully facetious of you however many thousand posts in.....

ah jaysus, everything is solved just in time for you to be tritely certain about it on the internet!

what are the odds :-D

by any chance you're not age in or around 30 are you?

edit: greta has been a phenomenon for in or around a year. be some achievement for anyone to have been doubting the spiel for thirty times that.

you wouldn't be conflating doubts about the goddess with climate-change denial again, would you? that would be awfully facetious of you however many thousand posts in.....

We had a poster here a few days ago saying as an ice-cube from his freezer melted, it's no big deal that an glacier in New Zealand has melted.

This conversation is about way more than Greta.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,120 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

This conversation is about way more than Greta.

I think they meant your not old enough to know it's rubbish, some of us were sold this pup before a few times, Greta doesn't know this she's just a young school drop out.
    In 20yrs you'll understand.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement