Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do people boast about not watching RTÉ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Sir Guy who smiles

Someone on newstalk the other day was making the point, that if you gave Dermot Desmond 190 million of a hand out each year and told him to run along and set up his own version of RTE there's not a snowballs chance that he'd loose money, yet RTE can never seem to avoid doing just that.

I don't think Newstalk are in a position to criticise; that station has hardly ever turned a profit in all it's years of existence.

They try to make out they're the radio station of business people, but that is only true if they mean "bankrolled by business people, who made their money elsewhere"

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

When RTE decide to cut wages and produce viewable productions then I might watch it. Until then it can rot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

Bob24 wrote: »
    Changing the collection method in itself wouldn’t help with unpaid fees as it wouldn’t solve the problem of identifying who is liable and not paying.

If you are suggesting to make every household liable no matter what, then it is not a discussion about collecting unpaid fees anymore, but one about extending liability it a new ground of people - very different.
    the alternative of collecting via the Revenue was rejected, especially by the Revenue, because it would add a huge workload for a small return. The existing collection system is flawed because it involves the punter getting off their holes and going to pay it, so they won't if they can avoid it and the TV license inspectors system is a joke because they won't go into rough housing estates or apartment blocks to collect it, either, so the best way to collect it is as a part of the property tax, as it is done in France or Germany. You don't pay that in those countries and the Tax Police will come for you and they're not afraid of going into rough housing estates.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,616 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

In today's world we can watch what we want, when we want, wherever we want - TV shows/films have never been so convenient. If I have the option to watch either RTÉ or pretty much anything else, I know what I'd do.

It goes beyond preferring to watch "the latest binge shows".

The one thing I do not follow at all is politics of any kind. A vast majority do, and RTÉ shows it a lot - it's in top news stories nearly all the time. If it's not that, it's depressing news about a tragic death. I can do without that, TBH.

I know nothing about politics and I'd rather not, either.

I watch the things that keep me happy. RTÉ has never done this for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Master of the Omniverse

Stovepipe wrote: »
    the alternative of collecting via the Revenue was rejected, especially by the Revenue, because it would add a huge workload for a small return. The existing collection system is flawed because it involves the punter getting off their holes and going to pay it, so they won't if they can avoid it and the TV license inspectors system is a joke because they won't go into rough housing estates or apartment blocks to collect it, either, so the best way to collect it is as a part of the property tax, as it is done in France or Germany. You don't pay that in those countries and the Tax Police will come for you and they're not afraid of going into rough housing estates.
    More tax,how novel,just add it to another tax,problem solved.Personally,I don't like paying to be brainwashed with mindless rubbish,a lot of people apparently arent keen either,so we pay to keep rte going,even though we don't watch it,and the overpaid lackeys take a small pay cut.I wouldn't mind paying if for example the cleaning staff were to get a salary equivalent to say Joe Duffy,and he got a cleaning job wages,but unless I get the DGs job,that will never happen,so either way,we will he forced to pay to keep the gravy train rolling,welcome to Ireland folks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,335 ✭✭✭bladespin

I gave up on RTE a few years back, they offer nothing to me that I can see, news wise I've always felt they provided a skewed and biased view, sports wise they don't offer any sports I want to watch (an Irish world champion doesn't get a mention on the sports news :(), better movies and series are available on the other platforms so really bar the Late Late toy show there's nothing for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Stovepipe wrote: »

In France it is a separate charge (like here) which is collected each year by the equivalent of Revenue, and any taxpayer can tick a box on their yearly tax return to declare they don’t have a TV in which case the licence won’t be collected. So there also is a need to do inspections if frauds are to be detected (except it would be done by government employees rather than Post office ones, but I doubt they would be more brave in terms of going into a rough apartment block).

It is definitely neither bundled with nor connected with property tax (impôt foncier). You might confuse it with the fact that if someone is exempt from local housing tax (taxe d’habitation, a different tax which is on property occupancy rather than ownership and for which we don’t really have an equivalent) due to low income, it also triggers a TV licence exemption, and that both these taxes are collected at the same time.

We could do the same here but I don’t think it would solve any problem? (the main issue is not how you collect the licence but how you detect evasion and enforce the law, and I don’t think the French system would help with that)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

.I wouldn't mind paying if for example the cleaning staff were to get a salary equivalent to say Joe Duffy,and he got a cleaning job wages,but unless I get the DGs job,that will never happen,so either way,we will he forced to pay to keep the gravy train rolling,welcome to Ireland folks.

You haven't thought this through have you?:D:D:D

You haven't thought this through have you?:D:D:D

Lol..I got to the bit where my plan depended on me getting the DGs job,and realised that we were going to get shafted yet again .....blahde blahde blahhhhh

The one thing I do not follow at all is politics of any kind. A vast majority do, and RTÉ shows it a lot - it's in top news stories nearly all the time......I know nothing about politics and I'd rather not, either.

Maybe. But politics knows about you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,988 ✭✭✭✭rob316

The programming has gotten worse as they have tried to capture a younger audience. The actually current affairs stuff I like, sports coverage isn't bad and the pundits are largely than the UK stations.
    I don't like the "jobs for the boys" mentality across the platform either. Some of the pet presenters and actors are pure talentless constantly shoved down us. The attempts at home grown comedy and sitcoms are embarrassing.

I wouldn't like to see it gone, I have fond memories of watching the LLS with Gay Byrne, the football presented by Bill O Herlihy. I just find the current programming a cheap imitation of the UK channels.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,988 ✭✭✭✭rob316

If I'm in charge too I'd change the name. The whole thing is so dated and doesn't appeal to the younger audience.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭auspicious

There's only one or two hours of engaging current affairs per week. That's it.
    I was flicking through a tv. guide a couple of days ago and for the laugh I counted the number of repeats ( R ) , on RTE 2 I think it was. I counted 17 throughout the day.
    If they weren't paying nonsense presenters like Tubridy and D'Arcy half a mil each they might be able to afford something. Kenny was a big loss.
    l

• Registered Users Posts: 16,078 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

rob316 wrote: »
    If I'm in charge too I'd change the name. The whole thing is so dated and doesn't appeal to the younger audience.

Tried that with 'Network 2'...

I would watch rte,but only under certain conditions.
    The first one being : Gerry Ryan is cloned and brought back to life in all his irreverant glory,take his rightful place on the late late,Ryan tubridy is retired and compelled to either spend a life of austerity as a Buddhist monk,or submit himself to God and spend the remainder of his life attired in Penney's outfits,to the value of 15euros.
    Can't think of any more conditions,the above would do nicely!

If they don't pipe down with all this 'RTE On Climate' rubbish, I might have to join all the RTE haters in switching off. It never quits these days.

Edit - Jesus, nearly every story on the main 6one news has had this shoehorned in. It's more like a special than the bloody news.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Matt Cooper on Today FM educated me on all this QIH carry on. His show is fantastic. For me, the best broadcaster in Ireland.

Cooper is the biggest WOKE merchant in the country, insufferable wally

Stopped being good years ago and hopped on the PC train

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Lol..I got to the bit where my plan depended on me getting the DGs job,and realised that we were going to get shafted yet again .....blahde blahde blahhhhh

If you're already not in the clique man, you'll never get in:D:D

Do people actually boast about not watching rte? Maybe boast is the wrong word.Perhaps these people are hoping that by stating they don't,others may wonder why they don't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭nkl12xtw5goz70

Do people actually boast about not watching rte?

I've only ever heard people talk about not watching RTE when discussing the TV licence. But that's because they resent being forced to pay a licence for a service they don't use, not because they're boasting.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

theguzman wrote: »
    I don't watch RTE because it is only a leftwing propaganda channel, continuously virtue signalling on some new hip issue and pontificating non stop to people who are stupid enough to believe what they are told. It should closed down and got rid of.

Surprised it took 102 posts for someone to throw out the 'virtue signalling' label.
    And is virtue signalling something only left wing people are genetically capable of? Because its always mentioned in that context, never right wing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,616 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

Maybe. But politics knows about you.

I don't know what that even means..

• Registered Users Posts: 14,233 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

RTE will always be disliked by growing percentage of people. The reason being less and less are watching it but they're forced to pay for it through the licence fee. Of course, we all know what would happen if it was subscription based and receiving the channels was based on an optional licence fee.
    pgj2015 wrote: »
    they are just self hating Irish people usually, RTE is Irish so they pretend not to watch it.

That has to be the most stupid comment here. I don't like Fair City therefore I hate myself? Actually, is Fair City still a thing? I don't know because I don't watch RTE

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

Cienciano wrote: »
    That has to be the most stupid comment here. I don't like Fair City therefore I hate myself? Actually, is Fair City still a thing? I don't know because I don't watch RTE

He didn't mention Fair City. :confused: Fair City may not be your thing but there are plenty of programs like Prime Time, RTE News, Nationwide, Would You Believe, Eco-Eye, Reeling in the Years, The Meaning of Life and many more that you'd have to be obstinate and pretentious not to watch something even if just occasionally.

Also this is probably the most stupid comment here:

"RTE will always be disliked by growing percentage of people."

Don't you see anything wrong with that? If RTE will always be disliked by a growing percentage of people then nearly everyone will dislike it over time and it won't be able to happen at 100%. That's just plain false and is a stupid prediction for the future when they could completely change everything in a bid to survive you have no idea what might happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭TheDavester

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Cooper is the biggest WOKE merchant in the country, insufferable wally

Stopped being good years ago and hopped on the PC train

im wondering is he being hindered by the times ban as his contributors replacing the times crew over the last 2 years have declined in quality from informative, good debate to now him letting shrill teenagers from the journal or the latest attention seeking twitter windbag to rant unchallenged

• Registered Users Posts: 3,728 ✭✭✭Greyfox

He didn't mention Fair City. :confused: Fair City may not be your thing but there are plenty of programs like Prime Time, RTE News, Nationwide, Would You Believe, Eco-Eye, Reeling in the Years, The Meaning of Life and many more that you'd have to be obstinate and pretentious not to watch something even if just occasionally.

Also this is probably the most stupid comment here:

"RTE will always be disliked by growing percentage of people."

Don't you see anything wrong with that? If RTE will always be disliked by a growing percentage of people then nearly everyone will dislike it over time and it won't be able to happen at 100%. That's just plain false and is a stupid prediction for the future when they could completely change everything in a bid to survive you have no idea what might happen.

Prime time and reeling in the years are the only good tv programmes rte have and once a month their will be sport or a good film on that ya haven't got round to watching yet. Most young people go weeks at least without watching rte but it seems rte have an inflated opinion on the quality of tv they provide. Streaming services offer much better options for young people. Lots of people don't like rte and the number of people is growing. Rte should of started their cost cutting process years ago as everyone with common sense knows the tv licence cost does not give value for money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Greyfox wrote: »
    Prime time and reeling in the years are the only good tv programmes rte have and once a month their will be sport or a good film on that ya haven't got round to watching yet. Most young people go weeks at least without watching rte but it seems rte have an inflated opinion on the quality of tv they provide. Streaming services offer much better options for young people. Lots of people don't like rte and the number of people is growing. Rte should of started their cost cutting process years ago as everyone with common sense knows the tv licence cost does not give value for money.

They did a series on irish lighthouses and it was brilliant. Also one on the Irish seasons and wildlife which again was superb. They do a lot of ****e but also plenty of good.

I don't know what that even means..

It means that politics, and the decisions made therein, effects everyone and the society/country around everyone. You can choose not to know anything about it, but it can have an effect on your life.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,504 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I have to say, I agree with OP to an extent. I do get the sense sometimes that some people are just hating on RTE to put themselves on some kind of pedestal.

You'd be on a fairly small pedestal if bashing RTE below you was your measure of success..

• Advertisement

Rte is doing their best to damage this country,I see no reason why we should pay for our own demise.

Advertisement