Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do people boast about not watching RTÉ?

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

terrydel wrote: »
    Surprised it took 102 posts for someone to throw out the 'virtue signalling' label.
    And is virtue signalling something only left wing people are genetically capable of? Because its always mentioned in that context, never right wing.

The left decide which causes and groups deserve special treatment

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Sir Guy who smiles

Rte is doing their best to damage this country,I see no reason why we should pay for our own demise.

No, better to listen to some random youtube conspiracy theorist instead.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,226 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

He didn't mention Fair City. :confused: Fair City may not be your thing but there are plenty of programs like Prime Time, RTE News, Nationwide, Would You Believe, Eco-Eye, Reeling in the Years, The Meaning of Life and many more that you'd have to be obstinate and pretentious not to watch something even if just occasionally.

Also this is probably the most stupid comment here:

"RTE will always be disliked by growing percentage of people."

Don't you see anything wrong with that? If RTE will always be disliked by a growing percentage of people then nearly everyone will dislike it over time and it won't be able to happen at 100%. That's just plain false and is a stupid prediction for the future when they could completely change everything in a bid to survive you have no idea what might happen.
    He did say if you don't watch RTE you hate yourself. Fair City is an example of one of RTE's most popular shows.

As for a growing percentage of people disliking RTE, yes, it will be disliked by everyone over time. You think younger people with the quality of free shows out there and cheap streaming services are going to happily shell out €170 a year for the licence fee? I don't think so. The way we watch stuff over the last 10 years has changed, if rte doesn't change it'll die off because the public are tired of being forced to subsidise the shíte they produce.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Sure it's been said already a 100 times. Have one state TV channel and one radio station.

The TV station can commission one flagship talk show like the Late Late, keep current affairs programmes like Prime Time, documentaries, lotto draw and decent homegrown drama like Love Hate.

The radio station can do stuff like Morning Ireland and John Cteedon music show.

No need for either to broadcast around the clock or syndicate commercial TV shows and/or commision popular media like game shows, pop music radio stations and other stuff you can find in a million other places these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,016 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Cienciano wrote: »
    if rte doesn't change it'll die off because the public are tired of being forced to subsidise the shíte they produce.

Don't think our political system as currently constituted would ever allow RTE to die. If the worst comes to the worst and advertising revenue collapses and there is mass refusal to pay the licence fee, they would just move to direct exchequer funding of the station. People would still grumble but if the money for RTE comes out of the general tax kitty, you wouldn't have the same focus for resentment that the licence fee provides.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Sir Guy who smiles

Sure it's been said already a 100 times. Have one state TV channel and one radio station.

The TV station can commission one flagship talk show like the Late Late, keep current affairs programmes like Prime Time, documentaries, lotto draw and decent homegrown drama like Love Hate.

The radio station can do stuff like Morning Ireland and John Cteedon music show.

No need for either to broadcast around the clock or syndicate commercial TV shows and/or commision popular media like game shows, pop music radio stations and other stuff you can find in a million other places these days.

I think you can justify a second TV channel to show sports that are required to be free-to-air, Irish made programmes that might get a smaller audience (up and coming Irish filmmakers etc.) and given RTE has quite a back catalogue, judicious repeats outside of prime viewing hours.

I've said above (Please correct me if I am wrong) it is the content that costs money today, the actual broadcasting of extra digital TV channels is now cheap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭MMyers

I think you might have posted in the wrong thread.

I know Katie Price got to ride a bucking bronco

Was always a strong supporter of RTÉ but, after that week of climate propaganda, and now stuff like programmes glorifying vandalism and graffiti I’d be very quickly losing patience with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,968 ✭✭✭cena

Rte is behind the times. everyone that has tv watches sky, Netflix etc

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Everyone has netlix ?
    netflix needs a good broadband connection,
    there are many rural area.s where broadband is not avaidable,
    you can just about get 3g on a phone and thats about it.
    IF You want to watch gaa, some sport s events, programs and arts or politics in ireland you,ll have to watch rte tv .
    Even people who have sky tv will not pay for an extra sky sports subscription ,or may be able to afford it.
    i do,nt think the average old age pensioner has netflix or sky tv.
    if i watch the world cup or some sports events i just prefer to watch rte rather than watch it on bbc or itv.
    i understand there might be young people who just watch netflix or uk tv and rarely watch rte.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭bladespin

cena wrote: »
    Rte is behind the times. everyone that has tv watches sky, Netflix etc

Netflix has approx, 300k(ish) subscribers here, Sky are in around 1 in 4 homes here; still a way off the majority.

The thing is, digital platforms are growing while RTE's audience is shrinking, rapidly, RTE can't satisfy today's audience, the digital platforms can pinpoint target what a viewer wants, RTE are blindly throwing darts at the board.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Many people in apartments cannot install a satellite dish,
    large parts of rural ireland have no acess to broadband,
    so they cannot use netflix,
    RTE have the iplayer,
    you can watch most programs on a pc,laptop or a phone on demand .
    People on low incomes may not be able to afford netflix ,or a sky tv subscription .
    Anyone can afford an old tv and a saorview box .

300k subscribers is not everyone .
    I lived in a bedsit with 8 other people in a large old house,
    3 storey,
    no one was allowed to install cable tv, or sky tv ,we all had tv,s ,so we got rte ,tv,3 ,tg4 .

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

i watch rte..........................

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭2lazytogetup

with independent.ie and irishtimes being subscribe/register, rte.ie might be the only reliable news source online.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭bladespin

with independent.ie and irishtimes being subscribe/register, rte.ie might be the only reliable news source online.

Um yeah, ok.

I think this Frank Zappa album cover best sums up RTE

4ebed383d589bfc3859535c61d43d57e.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,289 ✭✭✭✭elperello

That's just Zappa the controversialist looking for notice.
    He was never off the box during his career.
    I'd say he'd even go on with Tubridy if he was still around.
    Interesting guy though.

elperello wrote: »
    Interesting guy though.

Not altogether familiar with him but the image struck a chord with me. RTE for me has a direct line to a toilet somewhere in Montrose

• Registered Users Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭saabsaab

elperello wrote: »
    Interesting guy though.

LTA

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

i pay the licence fee.
    i dont receive rte on our tv and im never going to change that.
    when i want to see whats happening in the world i watch/read news on a variety of sites.
    rte is tiresome,filled with untalented personalities and producing sh@te.

• Advertisement
Advertisement