Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do people boast about not watching RTÉ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

People seem to want a future where Google, Facebook, and Twitter set, define, and present the news supported by a financial model based on data driven advertising. Where stats on what you consume and who you are define what you’re shown. Where you don’t pay for a licence, but pay with information that is sold to advertisers.

I think that’s a frightening and appalling future, but I’m in a minority it would appear.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

For people who don't watch RTE may I ask where do you get your Irish news from ?

Commercial TV ?
    Commercial radio ?
    Newspapers and their online presence ?

RTE is a commercial enterprise, is it not. That's the problem with RTE. It's masquerades as a public service broadcaster but it's takes advertising just like the other commercial broadcasters.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Roger_007 wrote: »
    RTE is a commercial enterprise, is it not. That's the problem with RTE. It's masquerades as a public service broadcaster but it's takes advertising just like the other commercial broadcasters.

Because it needs to do both. Would you be in favour of it just being funded by the licence fee? Loads of public service broadcasters also use advertising. The BBC doesn’t, but has the financial punch to produce shows like Sherlock that are sold all around the world. So it competes with HBO etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,019 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

_Brian wrote: »
    Yea, yea.
    My point is that because it has content for some many or indeed most people watch little and lots watch no RTE.

It should move to a subscription service. That way the revenue would match the demand and so be used to produce content for those interested. Give the pensioners a free pass.

No way it would be able to provide anything like its current offering on that basis though. Income would collapse with former licence fee payers opting out and they would have to take a scythe to arts, documentaries, Irish language etc. You'd end up with something like Virgin Media II.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,528 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Because it needs to do both. Would you be in favour of it just being funded by the licence fee?

I don’t want to go back to the days of RTÉ showing those weird “eastern bloc” cartoons.

The tide is turning…

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,012 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Roger_007 wrote: »

When I say commercial I mean privately owned.
    Owned by an individual, a company etc.
    Like Communicorp own Today FM and Newstalk, like Liberty Global (or something) own Virgin Media.

In that regard RTE is not commercial.
    It has commercial revenue to supplement it's income.

The owner of a commercial broadcaster can have far more editorial clout than a government can have in a state owned broadcaster.

But you probably knew that already and we're just being obtuse for the sake of it.

I don’t want to go back to the days of RTshowing those weird “eastern bloc” cartoons.

That's why for someone like myself today is a very important 30 year anniversary.

We grew up with the Eastern Bloc as part of European geography and politics, and those Czechoslovakia cartoons were part of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭SnazzyPig

For people who don't watch RTE may I ask where do you get your Irish news from ?

Commercial TV ?
    Commercial radio ?
    Newspapers and their online presence ?

All of the above and more.

If I relied on RTE to remain informed I'd consider myself in an information wasteland.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

sKeith wrote: »
    Rte dont work in my home.
    I pay my tv license.
    I have an ad blocker.
    I have whitelisted rte from ad blocker, but thats not good enough for rte. Rte want me to remove add blocker completely from my network in order to watch Rte just cause they don’t host the ads they want me to watch.

When rte fix this. Ill be able to watch rte. Until then, its rtes broken sites fault.

They do broadcast it, you know.

SnazzyPig wrote: »
    All of the above and more.

If I relied on RTE to remain informed I'd consider myself in an information wasteland.

But is RTE one of the "and more" ?

And if not why exclude the national broadcaster form ones news sources ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭ZeitgeistGlee

Because it needs to do both. Would you be in favour of it just being funded by the licence fee? Loads of public service broadcasters also use advertising. The BBC doesn’t, but has the financial punch to produce shows like Sherlock that are sold all around the world. So it competes with HBO etc.

Why? It makes no sense to fund RTE on the basis of competing with Sky, Virgin Media, Netflix or any of the other plethora of internet content providers.

If RTE's mandate and purpose is to produce cultural content and keep the public informed (as seems to be the eye-rollingly worded thrust of the OP) then what is it doing buying the rights to British, American and Australian programmes to pad out its own line-up. It might have a bit more money to produce more decent own dramas if it wasn't airing Hawaii Five-O at 2 in the morning.

Like I and many others have asserted, if RTE can't fill the timeslots of its channels without resorting to buying in content then maybe it should cut down the number of channels rather than yowling for a doubled licence fee. If Tubbs or Ray Darcy won't work for less 400k per year I can't say I'd be too broken up to see them go private and stop dipping their fingers into my pocket.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

People seem to want a future where Google, Facebook, and Twitter set, define, and present the news supported by a financial model based on data driven advertising. Where stats on what you consume and who you are define what you’re shown. Where you don’t pay for a licence, but pay with information that is sold to advertisers.

I think that’s a frightening and appalling future, but I’m in a minority it would appear.

I don't think I have ever agreed with anything you posted but this is definitely something we have common ground on. Absolutely 100% correct.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Huntergonzo

I occasionally watch sport on RTE, but short of that I could probably count on one hand the amount of times I turn it on and watch it in a year.

But if you want to be engaged with public discourse or care about what's going on in your country then there are more options than RTE! Our state broadcaster is as full of shít and pushes as many agendas as any other broadcaster.

RTE selects what's 'important' and 'relevant' and presents it in a biased manner that suits them, so if you like their brand of BS then have at it but you shouldn't criticize other people for not being interested.

Personally I'm not overly interested in current affairs because it's a never ending cycle (for eg, can you really remember that 'scandal' from 2014 or even last week for that matter!) and to me it's just not worth the hassle, plus a large portion of it is either lies or not relevant to me.

Ps, I don't have netflix either, nothing against it, I just wouldn't use it enough to justify paying for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,644 ✭✭✭storker

In that case I'm in there with you. Anyone who relies on Facebook for current affairs knowledge is an idiot. And Twitter is not news. The content deciders of mainstream media should all commit that to memory and write it out a thousand times and stop giving it an importance it doesn't deserve, lazily lifting "stories" from it as if some fool's opinion actually means something just because it gets a wide audience. Ironically, by giving Twitter such prominence, they may be contributing to their own demise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

I think RTE television is fairly poor overall but if I like something on it, I watch it. This "Must not watch it because it's on RTE" thing - why would you be bothered? Also it's obviously gonna be the best source overall of Irish news stories, biased news features or not.

Prime Time and Prime Time Investigates are great imo. And they do some very good one-off historical documentaries (e.g. about northern Ireland).

pgj2015 wrote: »
    they are just self hating Irish people usually, RTE is Irish so they pretend not to watch it.

And the evidence for this wild, sweeping assumption...?

I won't hold my breath.

Raconteuse wrote: »
    I think RTE television is fairly poor overall but if I like something on it, I watch it. This "Must not watch it because it's on RTE" thing - why would you be bothered?

I don't even know anyone who thinks like this. I suspect that people who watch no or very little RTE don't watch it because with so much choice available, that's just how their viewing tends to work out. I wouldn't assume either that people are boasting they say how little they watch RTE. I suspect that the OP is either trolling here or has such a big (but obviously not very sharp) axe to grind that he/she can't conceive of someone's non-RTE watching being a result of anything other than wilful ignorance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

RTÉ is terrible.

The news is probably the only half decent thing on it and even that's embarrassing at the best of times. I only watched a piece on Gay Byrne during the 6:01 and the audio failed in many parts.

People aren't watching RTÉ anymore because they now have better options, there is nothing more to it.

The fact that they even ask for a TV licence fee baffles me, as the quality of programming has been in decline for years, so where does the money actually go?

You have BBC dishing out the likes of Planet Earth and Line of Duty, which is time better spent in comparison to learning how to weave a basket watching Nationwide every evening.

It's nothing to do with society, RTÉ is just a terrible channel that's stuck in time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Always Tired

Every time a discussion about RTÉ comes up, you’ll get the usual types who say ‘I just watch Netflix’, can nobody see how bad this is for society?
    It’s important to have an engaged public, a public who cares about what’s happening in the country, whose engaged in some way in public discourse and one important medium this can be achieved is through a national broadcaster.
    It was a much more interesting time when people actually were engaged in what was going on, and not just consumed by the latest binge series viewing on Netflix(which is ****e btw)

You think RTE tells you whats really going on? Ah, lad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Huntergonzo

GooglePlus wrote: »
    RTÉ is terrible.

The news is probably the only half decent thing on it and even that's embarrassing at the best of times. I only watched a piece on Gay Byrne during the 6:01 and the audio failed in many parts.

People aren't watching RTÉ anymore because they now have better options, there is nothing more to it.

The fact that they even ask for a TV licence fee baffles me, as the quality of programming has been in decline for years, so where does the money actually go?

You have BBC dishing out the likes of Planet Earth and Line of Duty, which is time better spent in comparison to learning how to weave a basket watching Nationwide every evening.

It's nothing to do with society, RTÉ is just a terrible channel that's stuck in time.

Ye but RTE has Pulling With My Parents and Sunday Mass :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭billyhead

banie01 wrote: »
    To justify not paying a license fee?
    To signal they don't buy into "state propoganda"?
    To signal that they are far too smart for the sheeple Shepards?
    To signal they are intellectual and require intelligent discourse?
    To label those that do, as contemptible?

But...

I'm gonna go with the 1st 1 ;)

You still need a tv license to watch netflix.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,368 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

billyhead wrote: »

If you watch it on a TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

billyhead wrote: »

On a laptop? On a phone? On a tablet? On a projector or a large monitor which has no tuner and is getting Netflix through an Apple TV or another similar device?

No you don’t need a licence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Zird

I think people who don't follow Irish politics are lucky because it's all an act anyway. Two identical parties being both in government and leading the opposition for the best part of the last 100 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

I give out about paying the €160 every year but €13.50 a month is fair enough.

RTE claim they are losing out €50 million a year on unpaid fees-
    Very easy to solve that lump it on to the property tax and every house hold pays it.

2fm, RTE 2 need to be shut down/sold.
    Ray Darcy CHOP ... away with you who likes him or listens to him?
    Miriam CHOP you absolute pain in the hole.

I also don’t believe them when it will cost more to set up a green site somewhere off the m50

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Bowlardo wrote: »

RTE claim they are losing out €50 million a year on unpaid fees-
    Very easy to solve that lump it on to the property tax and every house hold pays it.

Changing the collection method in itself wouldn’t help with unpaid fees as it wouldn’t solve the problem of identifying who is liable and not paying.

If you are suggesting to make every household liable no matter what, then it is not a discussion about collecting unpaid fees anymore, but one about extending liability it a new ground of people - very different.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭SnazzyPig

But is RTE one of the "and more" ?

And if not why exclude the national broadcaster form ones news sources ?

Yes, RTE would be one of the 'and more', but more a source of verification of news I will have picked up somewhere else, and solely for Irish news.

I should say that I get my RTE news entirely from their website, and can't remember the last time I watched their TV channel news.

They rank somewhere between 8 and 10 as a news source for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,703 ✭✭✭donegal_man

Ye but RTE has... Sunday Mass :-)

In fairness I'd argue that showing Mass and Divine Service is part of it's public service remit. My exes father has been unwell for some time and like many older people his religion is important to him so being able to "attend" Sunday Service via RTE brings him comfort and pleasure.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 jenna_haze

Had Sky TV years ago , cancelled Sub, got a Freeview sat box, i have no way to watch RTE, have not seen it in 5+ years, i dont feel i have missed anything.
    Dont Listen to Radio, its Spotify and audiobooks for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,019 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

In fairness I'd argue that showing Mass and Divine Service is part of it's public service remit. My exes father has been unwell for some time and like many older people his religion is important to him so being able to "attend" Sunday Service via RTE brings him comfort and pleasure.

So finally we have an answer to the question

DhqUVqXXcAAuk7Q.jpg

Advertisement