Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XI (The Finals Countdown)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

antietam1 wrote: »
    Born in Connacht? did you mean Henshaw I thought he was born in Westmeath.
    Leinster would not need 7 if they were not supplying so many to the Irish team,
    Definitely nee Fardy and Lowe.
    Anyhow Lyon v la Rochelle Lyon 45 to 17.
    Is it still the case French clubs don't perform away from home.
    If I reacall one of the second rows is Mayo.
    henshaw is from coosan which is in westmeath but all his rugby in minis and youths club rugby and schools rugby was in connacht school/club.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Richie_Rich89

henshaw is from coosan which is in westmeath but all his rugby in minis and youths club rugby and schools rugby was in connacht school/club.

No point arguing with the 'Henshaw is from Leinster' types. They just don't want to know.

Michael Bent, and even Jamison Gibson-Park, are more Leinster developed than Henshaw is.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭antietam1

No point arguing with the 'Henshaw is from Leinster' types. They just don't want to know.

Michael Bent, and even Jamison Gibson-Park, are more Leinster developed than Henshaw is.

He is Connacht developed no doubt, just not Connacht born.
    Anyway what about Lyon's win.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Is there an importable calendar for all the games anywhere. Only coped I’m working next Saturday. Well it only clicked that the game is next Saturday, should have tried to swap shifts. Need to add the games to my calendar, don’t want to have to do it manually.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭MaybeMaybe

stephen_n wrote: »
    Is there an importable calendar for all the games anywhere. Only coped I’m working next Saturday. Well it only clicked that the game is next Saturday, should have tried to swap shifts. Need to add the games to my calendar, don’t want to have to do it manually.

https://www.leinsterrugby.ie/downloadable-fixture-list/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

• Registered Users Posts: 11,212 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Cronin and Ferg out for a while it seems. Wonder if Ferg may call it a day or move on at the end of the season as he seems to be forever injured.

Hard to know what way the team will shape up for the weekend.

Anyone else feel that the gap between Porter and Furlong has gotten pretty narrow? Furlong not quite in top form this year.

Will Fardy go to the back row? Presume Ruddock starts at 8?

JGP v McGrath another very tight call. Really impressed with Jameson this season.

Was Henshaw sick or injured at the weekend? Tomane was my pick of the backs against Connacht, we've solid enough cover in mid field.

Be interesting to see what way we go at Fullback. I feel that Kearney's contract was a compromise deal instead of him moving on after the world cup. I think he'll be used sparingly enough.

I joked a while ago about Leinster needing to sign a 10 but I think we may need to make a call there depending on whether either Frawley or Harry Byrne show they've international calibre. Ross Byrne is a good, game managing 10 but I think he's too limited a threat to be an international regular.

Cummisky reporting Harry Byrne going on loan to Munster for a spell. Might work out well for Leinster in the medium term.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,789 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Harry Byrne must be very highly rated if he's being sought for injury cover by Munster.

On the other hand they should keep their 6 fingered hands off him and develop their own players for once.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,789 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Cummiskey seems to be speculating more than anything else. I would have thought Munster would give their own U20 Grand Slam winner a go at 10. Ben Healy and Harry Byrne are at very similar stages of their career.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Clegg wrote: »
    Cummiskey seems to be speculating more than anything else. I would have thought Munster would give their own U20 Grand Slam winner a go at 10. Ben Healy and Harry Byrne are at very similar stages of their career.

I would have thought so , plus after having let Bill Johnson go, there'd be absolute uproar if they overlooked another locally developed 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,906 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Is there an argument for keeping James Ryan, Sexton and maybe 1 or 2 others wrapped in cotton wool for one extra week?

I know it's the Champions Cup, but we should beat Treviso with a BP without those players.

For me:

Healy
    Kelleher
    Porter

Fardy
    Toner

Ruddock
    Deegan
    VDF---

JGP
    Byrne

Tomane
    Henshaw

Lowe
    Larmour
    A Byrne

Bench: Tracy, Byrne, Furlong, Molony, Doris, McGrath, Frawley, Kearney

Rested: Ryan, Sexton, Ringrose

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

It's more that;
    - Munster might need cover
    - IRFU might force them to take someone from within the Irish system
    - Harry Byrne could be an option

It's not a case of Munster actually looking for H Byrne.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

As it stands Munster have Bleyendaal, Ben Healy and Rory Scannell as cover. It's fine for the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kingofthekong

Leinster xv not playing in Leinster:

1. Jack Mcgrath / Eric O'sullivan . / Loughman
    2. S. Delahunt
    3. Marty Moore
    4. G. Thornburry
    5. A.O'connor
    6. Tadhg Beirne /P. Boyle / Greg Jones
    7. Jordi Murphy /N. Timoney / C. Oliver
    8. S Obrien / Copeland
    9. Cooney / Nick Mcarthy
    10. Carberry
    11. Matt Healy
    12. P. Robb / T. Daly
    13. T. Farrell
    14. Noel Reid (couldnt think of another wing)
    15. Conway

That team could probably finish top5 in Pro14 lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

As it stands Munster have Bleyendaal, Ben Healy and Rory Scannell as cover. It's fine for the moment.

I haven't heard any hype about this lad at all, he must be rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

It's more that;
    - Munster might need cover
    - IRFU might force them to take someone from within the Irish system
    - Harry Byrne could be an option

It's not a case of Munster actually looking for H Byrne.

It’s more craic to pretend it’s them though

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭wise7

Hard to know what way the team will shape up for the weekend.

Anyone else feel that the gap between Porter and Furlong has gotten pretty narrow? Furlong not quite in top form this year.

Will Fardy go to the back row? Presume Ruddock starts at 8?

JGP v McGrath another very tight call. Really impressed with Jameson this season.

Was Henshaw sick or injured at the weekend? Tomane was my pick of the backs against Connacht, we've solid enough cover in mid field.

Be interesting to see what way we go at Fullback. I feel that Kearney's contract was a compromise deal instead of him moving on after the world cup. I think he'll be used sparingly enough.

I joked a while ago about Leinster needing to sign a 10 but I think we may need to make a call there depending on whether either Frawley or Harry Byrne show they've international calibre. Ross Byrne is a good, game managing 10 but I think he's too limited a threat to be an international regular.

Cummisky reporting Harry Byrne going on loan to Munster for a spell. Might work out well for Leinster in the medium term.

Game management for a 10 is primary and RB ticks that box very adequately. Attacking threat doesn't only mean running with ball in hand but yet RB has displayed in the past 12 months his capacity to do just this, e.g. Toulouse in the RDS, Ulster in Aviva and as recently on Friday night at the Sportsground. What about his try yielding cross-field kicks over the past few seasons and his try assit passes and his putting others in space, do these attributes not constitute an attacking threat or does it only come down to what a 10 can do as an individual player making individual plays rather than an all-round playmaker?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Richie_Rich89

Might make more sense if a centre went to Munster. Then Scannell could switch and cover stand-off. There's extremely limited gametime on offer for Conor and Jimmy O'Brien at 12. This de Allende guy they've signed reminds me a bit of COB in terms of playing style with his good footwork and power through contact, so that might be a good fit.

Harry Byrne could well be cup-tied after this weekend anyway, what with Frawley not in the Euro squad and some noises coming out of camp that Lyon might be a more realistic target for Sexton.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭Serbian

wise7 wrote: »
    What about his try yielding cross-field kicks over the past few seasons and his try assit passes and his putting others in space, do these attributes not constitute an attacking threat or does it only come down to what a 10 can do as an individual player making individual plays rather than an all-round playmaker?

It's clearly something he's trying to work on, but I think it's important that your 10 has some level of individual attacking threat, otherwise it makes your attacking patterns a lot more predictable.

If Byrne never attacks the line, he's never going to suck in defenders and create space along the defensive line. It also means defensive line speed can be much faster and the defensive centres can always commit to rushing their man because there's always a second receiver.

Even if he can get to the point of attacking the line, consistently drawing in a defender and releasing a good pass across the front of the defensive line, that's probably good enough. That's what Sexton does most of the time, he doesn't make line breaks himself all that often anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Clegg wrote: »

Cummiskey picked a name that might get a few clicks and threw it out.....why would Leinster let H Bryne go and he hasn't even played regular for Leinster?

It's not like he has more experience to the lads Munster have, pure click bait

wise7 wrote: »
    Game management for a 10 is primary and RB ticks that box very adequately. Attacking threat doesn't only mean running with ball in hand but yet RB has displayed in the past 12 months his capacity to do just this, e.g. Toulouse in the RDS, Ulster in Aviva and as recently on Friday night at the Sportsground. What about his try yielding cross-field kicks over the past few seasons and his try assit passes and his putting others in space, do these attributes not constitute an attacking threat or does it only come down to what a 10 can do as an individual player making individual plays rather than an all-round playmaker?

Outside of Sexton, Byrne is the best game managing and distributing 10 we have. Carbery looks like he's brought this aspect of his game on but he is rarely on the pitch to show it so who knows.

Byrnes issues are purely genetic. He lacks speed and acceleration and it limits parts of his game. It's not just his attacking threat - it's his ability to cover ground in defence, get into position to make covering tackles and even just accelerating into contact to win the odd collision - he just doesn't have what I would see as the basic minimum athleticism for top flight rugby.

He is playing with a mobile pack and honestly I think he'd struggle to stay with a fair few of them on a breakaway.

This is probably more critical sounding than it is, I'd take him over peak 2015 Madigan in a heart beat - I just don't know if he is good enough to be Leinster's first choice 10.

The more I think about it the more I think we need to make a big name signing for next season at outhalf.

Serbian wrote: »
    It's clearly something he's trying to work on, but I think it's important that your 10 has some level of individual attacking threat, otherwise it makes your attacking patterns a lot more predictable.

If Byrne never attacks the line, he's never going to suck in defenders and create space along the defensive line. It also means defensive line speed can be much faster and the defensive centres can always commit to rushing their man because there's always a second receiver.

Even if he can get to the point of attacking the line, consistently drawing in a defender and releasing a good pass across the front of the defensive line, that's probably good enough. That's what Sexton does most of the time, he doesn't make line breaks himself all that often anymore.

Im not sure where people are coming up with these new requirements for every 10 in the World. Very few 10's in World rugby suck in defenders and make line breaks. That's why those players are rare.

We seem to looked at Carbery, seen he can potentially do it and now everyone else is s**t if they can't.

Lets look at PJ who was our best reserve 10 for Ireland and if he was still around Carbery would still be playing 15 for Leinster and Ireland. Did he break the line? was he sucking in defenders?

I am not saying Ross is incredible or anything but he played the majority of games in Europe and Pro 14 last year and we got to both finals. By the comments on here you would think he is useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,603 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

This is probably more critical sounding than it is, I'd take him over peak 2015 Madigan in a heart beat - I just don't know if he is good enough to be Leinster's first choice 10.

2013 was peak Madigan though!

Otherwise I agree with every single thing you've said

The more I think about it the more I think we need to make a big name signing for next season at outhalf.

Sexton has said he will play up till Lions. So you will have

Sexton
    R Byrne
    H Byrne
    Frawley

Not sure why you would need to sign a high profile 10?

By the time Sexton retires, maybe after 2021 you will have H Byrne having 3 years experience and Ross still running the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Byrne does attack the line. I thought I was going mad but sure enough he did it a couple of times in that game. He’ll comfortably be first choice in any game where Sexton isn’t for the foreseeable future and he’s more than good enough to take us a long way in Europe

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kingofthekong

Lol why is this conversation even happening ...Munster should use their own players....you know like Leinster do...

Shouldnt be looking for short term signings they have at center: Goggin, Scannell, Arnold, French, Farrell, mchenry
    Theyve got at outhalf : Healy, Bleyendall, Hanrahan

They should be forced to use their own talent and not benefit from Leinsters superior development of players

Munster have a talent development issue that needs to be fixed....Its already been patched up with signings from other clubs they need to start developing players for times like this

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭wise7

Outside of Sexton, Byrne is the best game managing and distributing 10 we have. Carbery looks like he's brought this aspect of his game on but he is rarely on the pitch to show it so who knows.

Byrnes issues are purely genetic. He lacks speed and acceleration and it limits parts of his game. It's not just his attacking threat - it's his ability to cover ground in defence, get into position to make covering tackles and even just accelerating into contact to win the odd collision - he just doesn't have what I would see as the basic minimum athleticism for top flight rugby.

He is playing with a mobile pack and honestly I think he'd struggle to stay with a fair few of them on a breakaway.

Where do you think we might be if we hadn't had Ross Byrne these past 3 seasons to put in the performances that he has? You show don't seem to no appreciation for what the coaches are doing in developing home grown talent as you prefer to have imports that are clearly not required. We are capable of building our own.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭crisco10

I just don't understand why Munster wouldn't parachute in Healy. He's the same as Harry Byrne, young, inexperienced etc, but has at least been training with Munster and playing for them.

Just feels like click bait suggestion to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

RB is a very good player. I haven't noticed any real poor physical attributes. I think he's a good tackler and his defense is very good. He uses his skills to the max. Which is what we look for from a 10. I can't think of any 10 who consistently breaks the line and creates chances for his teammates, other than Barrett. Carty does sometimes as does Carberry. Both of them are better athletes but, they still have problems playing the position. I think Byrne has improved year on year and he's really turning out to be a good player.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement