Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway GAA Discussion Thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

threeball wrote: »
    I'd say Corofin would have preferred Roscommon. They loved it last year. Thought it was a great pitch.

Little to do with the pitch, lots to do with the way Clann set themselves up. Like butcher's apron (open at the back)

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭GalwayLurker

threeball wrote: »
    I'd say Corofin would have preferred Roscommon. They loved it last year. Thought it was a great pitch.

Corofin have played their last 5 games in Tuam, I'm sure they're quite happy to play there again for the final. They showed flashes of what they're capable of today, they're developing a habit of letting teams back into games when they open up a bit of a lead though, they did the same against Salthill, Mountbellew and again today. Liam Silke has some engine, deserved man of the match. Molloy and Wall were good too, the rest can still go up a gear and will need to from here on in. Leonard has some boot on him, those long range frees were fantastic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

spud65 wrote: »
    Delighted Thomas won, Small club with all of their players from a small parish. Wonder will mellows make a move in the transfer market over the winter :)

Assume Donal O'Shea would be a possibility?

Salthill hammered in the junior final Saturday

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Frozen Veg

jr86 wrote: »

Not sure he'd prosper at Mellows. Former Salthill club man Haran is on frees for Mellows, O Shea hasn't been doing much from play.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭spud65

Think S/K are a young team so hopefully they will stick together and give it another good crack next year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,947 ✭✭✭threeball

What does very beatable mean? They are a very good team with a proven track record, they'll be hard bet in the Munster final. No point looking beyond that until it's done.

St Thomas are a decent side but not great, would find it very difficult to make it out of either province if they competed in them.

It's funny how Galway complained about the unfair disadvantage they had of not competing in a province in The Inter County senior championship, but not the senior club championship. I wonder why that is...

It means that they wouldn't hold any fear for any team coming up against them the way a Ballyhale would. They're a good team but came up against a Patrickswell team that was well below the standard they showed in the limerick final.

Thomas's are only middling. There's no stand out teams in Galway at the moment which kind of suits our county set up better. I don't see any Galway team winning the all Ireland in the next few years.

Corofin have played their last 5 games in Tuam, I'm sure they're quite happy to play there again for the final. They showed flashes of what they're capable of today, they're developing a habit of letting teams back into games when they open up a bit of a lead though, they did the same against Salthill, Mountbellew and again today. Liam Silke has some engine, deserved man of the match. Molloy and Wall were good too, the rest can still go up a gear and will need to from here on in. Leonard has some boot on him, those long range frees were fantastic.

Spoke to a good few involved with Corofin after last year's game and they said they much preferred playing in Roscommon than Tuam due to the pace of the pitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

Acc to GBFM crowds down considerably enough from last year's county final.

Not great when you consider Carnmore (and well done to them by the way) were in their first minor final in yonks, and would have brought a bigger crowd on their own than both minor finalists last year put together

In fairness it was a bitterly cold day but you'd have to wonder should Kenny Park be seriously considered for next year. You would up the crowd of neutrals quite significantly

I dont go to many club hurling games but would probably consider going to the final if it was in Athenry. I am sure Pearse Stadium puts off a good few neutrals. The football final would not have attracted the same crowds if it was in Pearse this year either.

I dont go to many club hurling games but would probably consider going to the final if it was in Athenry. I am sure Pearse Stadium puts off a good few neutrals. The football final would not have attracted the same crowds if it was in Pearse this year either.

It wasn't a very attractive final pairing, the two losing semi finalists would have garnered more interest but no matter who was in it I wouldn't bother my arse going to Pearse Stadium. Kenny Park would be a different story.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Legalfarmer89

Tight game in Salthill today. Mellows just couldn't get into it in 2nd half and only scored 3 points I think.

Well done to St. Thomas's, its good going for a rural club.

Unfortunately they will probably find the All Ireland series a bit of a bridge too far. Ballygunner would have a too much for them. Borris look tidy too so it will be tough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭MfMan

Tight game in Salthill today. Mellows just couldn't get into it in 2nd half and only scored 3 points I think.

Well done to St. Thomas's, its good going for a rural club.

Unfortunately they will probably find the All Ireland series a bit of a bridge too far. Ballygunner would have a too much for them. Borris look tidy too so it will be tough.

Don't necessarily agree. Thomas' were more impressive today than I thought they would be, and their hurling (second half) was sharp and determined. No walkovers by any means. Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't they meeting the Leinster champions?

What does very beatable mean? They are a very good team with a proven track record, they'll be hard bet in the Munster final. No point looking beyond that until it's done.

St Thomas are a decent side but not great, would find it very difficult to make it out of either province if they competed in them.

It's funny how Galway complained about the unfair disadvantage they had of not competing in a province in The Inter County senior championship, but not the senior club championship. I wonder why that is...

I doubt it would unduly bother Galway sides to compete in either province. If they're good enough they would prevail. Galway sides' record in this competition brooks no argument.

No need for sniping, Monty. Waterford have enjoyed advantages denied to Galway down through the decades and still haven't prospered. You have to ask yourselves why that is?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭spurshero

spud65 wrote: »
    Delighted Thomas won, Small club with all of their players from a small parish. Wonder will mellows make a move in the transfer market over the winter :)

Serious amount of begrudgement towards a mellows team that have provided a lot of entertainment over the last 3 years . All homegrown players bar kavanagh and haran. Haran was never going to stay with Salthill when they hardly had a junior team with the county ambitions he had . Mellows was the obvious fit . Not sure how kavanagh ended up there but he obviously had issues with kinvara . He now has a county cup that he wouldn’t have so good luck to him . The rest all came up through the ranks at mellows and I find this constant sniping a bit much . But then again begrudgers will always begrudge it’s what there good at

• Registered Users Posts: 17,321 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

MfMan wrote: »
    Don't necessarily agree. Thomas' were more impressive today than I thought they would be, and their hurling (second half) was sharp and determined. No walkovers by any means. Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't they meeting the Leinster champions?

No the Munster champions. Ballyhale have the easy path this year. Especially with Cuala getting knocked out.

I mean Ballygunnar are very beatable but that's not exactly an insult. So are St Thomas'. Any of the sides on that side of the draw will fancy their chances if they perform on the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

MfMan wrote: »
    I doubt it would unduly bother Galway sides to compete in either province. If they're good enough they would prevail. Galway sides' record in this competition brooks no argument.

No need for sniping, Monty. Waterford have enjoyed advantages denied to Galway down through the decades and still haven't prospered. You have to ask yourselves why that is?

That's my point in a nutshell, if you have a good team who has to win two games compared to a good teams that had to win 4-5 games who do you think is more likely to have a better record? Basic probability then that they'd have a better record then other counties of a similar level in fairness, and nobody is going to argue for change when they're winning (look in fairness I'm sure we'd be the same). I just didn't like the nature of the original comment, sounded quite arrogant.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Nice piece in yesterday's Sunday Times re all matters in relating to Shane O Neill's appointment.

Requires a subscription.:( I viewed it in the paper copy.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/shane-oneill-requires-patience-to-get-best-out-of-galway-ntrbx72gm

No the Munster champions. Ballyhale have the easy path this year. Especially with Cuala getting knocked out.

I mean Ballygunnar are very beatable but that's not exactly an insult. So are St Thomas'. Any of the sides on that side of the draw will fancy their chances if they perform on the day.

You're right. For some reason I thought Mellows played Na Piarsaigh 2 years ago instead of Cuala.

spurshero wrote: »
    Serious amount of begrudgement towards a mellows team that have provided a lot of entertainment over the last 3 years . All homegrown players bar kavanagh and haran. Haran was never going to stay with Salthill when they hardly had a junior team with the county ambitions he had . Mellows was the obvious fit . Not sure how kavanagh ended up there but he obviously had issues with kinvara . He now has a county cup that he wouldn’t have so good luck to him . The rest all came up through the ranks at mellows and I find this constant sniping a bit much . But then again begrudgers will always begrudge it’s what there good at

It's against the ethos of the GAA. One life one club.

It's not good for club hurling when clubs like Mellows are poaching players from neighbouring clubs.

It makes a mockery of the work being put in by the club's that developed these players at under age.

Let's be realistic here. Mellows would not have won a county title if they didn't have the transferees.

St. Thomas as a club are everything the GAA is supposed to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

Frozen Veg wrote: »
    It's against the ethos of the GAA. One life one club.

It's not good for club hurling when clubs like Mellows are poaching players from neighbouring clubs.

It makes a mockery of the work being put in by the club's that developed these players at under age.

Let's be realistic here. Mellows would not have won a county title if they didn't have the transferees.

St. Thomas as a club are everything the GAA is supposed to be.

Rubbish. There were more lax rules back 50 years ago then there are today. Theres no parish rule at all in Waterford city or County and it works fine..plenty of players move clubs all over the country but it's by no means a deluge. If you're a very good player at a junior club then you may need to move to progress. Kerry and Cork have the right idea with well run divisions but the rest of the country dont have that so have to move club

Isn't there only two transferees though? And both are there years at this stage

Their success has been completely well earned and the subject of hard work rather than "poaching".

Haran was allowed to join another City club as he's from within the City boundaries, so Liam Mellows was the obvious fit

Kavanagh joined them when they were useless

• Advertisement

Kavanagh and Haran scored 2-14 combined in the County semi final. Do the maths.

Put them two onto the Cappy team that they beat and it would have been a different outcome.

And both were on their team when they were almost relegated in 2014...

EDIT - actually I think Kavanagh might be more recent but was there before the success years

Put them two onto the Cappy team that they beat and it would have been a different outcome.

Do you ever think that both players might have improved at mellows as well . Takes a lot more then 2 players to get to 3 county finals in a row. Joe canning is arguably Galways greatest player ever but that didn’t stop portumna losing games this years by over 20 pts . 16 of the 18 that played yesterday never hit a girl with anybody but mellows . City clubs in Dublin and cork etc and some in Galway will always have outside players who move to the areas for work etc

spurshero wrote: »
    Do you ever think that both players might have improved at mellows as well . Takes a lot more then 2 players to get to 3 county finals in a row. Joe canning is arguably Galways greatest player ever but that didn’t stop portumna losing games this years by over 20 pts . 16 of the 18 that played yesterday never hit a girl with anybody but mellows . City clubs in Dublin and cork etc and some in Galway will always have outside players who move to the areas for work etc

Hit a hurl not girl obviously . Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Who have they poached? Don’t think there’s anything to suggest they have done so. Haran won All Ireland Minor and was obviously hoping to break through at senior level, Salthill were Junior C or something at the time, he wasn’t going to hang around there and hard to blame him, though I appreciate such clubs needs their best players to advance.

Kavanagh moved on from kinvara of his own accord by all accounts.

Mellows has two players from the panel (admittedly two of their best) that haven’t come through their own set up. They have put massive work in to their own underage structures, unlucky not to win county minor few years back. The constant sniping at them is petty and uncalled for, you would think half the team had been recruited if you didn’t know better.

Isn't there only two transferees though? And both are there years at this stage

Their success has been completely well earned and the subject of hard work rather than "poaching".

Haran was allowed to join another City club as he's from within the City boundaries, so Liam Mellows was the obvious fit

Kavanagh joined them when they were useless

Exactly you think the way lads are going on that mellows have 10 outsiders . Haran is there 9 years kavanagh 5 and both had there reasons . I didn’t see any of this talk a few years ago when mellows were battaling relegation . The other 16 that saw game time yesterday have played since under 8
    Up with mellows .

In truth this current Mellows team is actually built on a great minor side of 2013 and under 21 side of 2016 that was unlucky to lose both finals to an outstanding Turloughmore team. So its been developed right through from underage

Obviously Haran is still their most important player but as I've said he was almost relegated with them before, they wouldn't have had near this level of success but for superb underage talent coming through in recent seasons - all developed within the club

So should Donal O Shea transfer to Mellows now too?

Neighbours Castlegar were also prominent in the transfer market last season.

O'Shea was eligible to play for Mellows all his life as they're within the City boundaries

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

So should Donal O Shea transfer to Mellows now too?

Neighbours Castlegar were also prominent in the transfer market last season.

Hopefully not. Liam Mellows have given City hurling a bit of a revival with their work, it would be good to see Salthill continuing to improve and maybe get over the line to intermediate and even senior down the line to add to it.

But if he were to decide he wants to move and wants to move to Liam mellows, it’s very difficult for them to say no. He’s just going to go to a different senior club anyway. That’s very different from ‘poaching’ in any case, the latter would involve mellows initiating contact and seeking to persuade him.

Advertisement