Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway GAA Discussion Thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

spurshero wrote: »
    What are the reasons

A fellow Galway poster of yours speculated elsewhere it might be maximise the gate receipts given the county board's financial difficulties.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭spurshero

seligehgit wrote: »
    A fellow Galway poster of yours speculated elsewhere it might be maximise the gate receipts given the county board's financial difficulties.

Ok. Prob right !!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,803 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

The ref is on a borrow from corofin.
    The stars getting robbed

Hard luck to kilconeiron.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,321 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Hard luck to kilconeiron.

Awful way to lose a county final. And of course a great way to win it for Kinvara.

• Advertisement

Awful way to lose a county final. And of course a great way to win it for Kinvara.

It was cruel for kilconeiron but congrats to kinvara.it payed them not to quit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

A 7th in a row for Corofin but I just wonder how much more are in them.

Again not overly convincing today I thought, but conditions were poor tbf.

Guys like Steede, Cathal silke, Mike farragher and Lundy knocking 30 (Lundy taken off today and didn't start first county final). Sice and Fitzy naturally don't have long left.

How long more can Daithi commit to both codes?

They haven't had much underage superstars in recent times and salthill and claregalway look to be overtaking them as the kingpins of underage in the county

Probably a few more titles left in this side, but it'll be very interesting to see what happens when the above names start to retire/ decline

As for this year, they'll probably do enough to eke out Connacht but a likely semi v Dr crokes could be very interesting outside of Croker!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,342 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Corofin have years left I would assume. Club football has guys playing and starring in their late 30s even 40s, Shane Curran was 42-43 when winning club all ireland with Bridgets few years ago.

They can sleepwalk Galway and move up four or five gears in Connacht and all ireland series. In terms of playing squad nobody in the country matches them.

Not saying they couldn't be caught on hop as they nearly were two years ago by bridgets and the Donegal champs gave them game last year (and they will be stronger this year) but its a bit early to be writing them off yet with so many top class young players at this level

• Registered Users Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭cosatron

jr86 wrote: »
    A 7th in a row for Corofin but I just wonder how much more are in them.

Again not overly convincing today I thought, but conditions were poor tbf.

Guys like Steede, Cathal silke, Mike farragher and Lundy knocking 30 (Lundy taken off today and didn't start first county final). Sice and Fitzy naturally don't have long left.

How long more can Daithi commit to both codes?

They haven't had much underage superstars in recent times and salthill and claregalway look to be overtaking them as the kingpins of underage in the county

Probably a few more titles left in this side, but it'll be very interesting to see what happens when the above names start to retire/ decline

As for this year, they'll probably do enough to eke out Connacht but a likely semi v Dr crokes could be very interesting outside of Croker!

Going by daithi's performance for turlough last week, I sincerely hope he starts concentrating on hurling.

Sleepwalk Galway?

They probably should have lost in Galway in all of the last 3 seasons . Two equalisers with the last kick of the game and Annaghdown absolutely blew it in 2017

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,013 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Hard say that though when Daragh Silke was possibly the standout player in Connacht U20 this year. And he hasn't been near precedings by and large. Theyve had numbers on two recent minor finalists also. It worries me that if I was to pick 5 players from them (Burke, Farragher, Molloy, Wall and Silke), they're all 26 or younger. Sice will be a massive loss when he does go but he's so clever at this level he likely had 3-4 years left

rossie1977 wrote: »
    Corofin have years left I would assume. Club football has guys playing and starring in their late 30s even 40s, Shane Curran was 42-43 when winning club all ireland with Bridgets few years ago.

They can sleepwalk Galway and move up four or five gears in Connacht and all ireland series. In terms of playing squad nobody in the country matches them.

Not saying they couldn't be caught on hop as they nearly were two years ago by bridgets and the Donegal champs gave them game last year (and they will be stronger this year) but its a bit early to be writing them off yet with so many top class young players at this level

They haven’t half as much in the tank as you say.
    Up 3 or 4 gears?
    The gearbox and clutch are gone more like.
    They were poor and the stars should have bettered them both days

• Registered Users Posts: 6,013 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

cosatron wrote: »
    Going by daithi's performance for turlough last week, I sincerely hope he starts concentrating on hurling.

He was borderline to play with illness I believe

Corofin have been blessed in Galway the last 3 years. A credit to their resilience and quality that they keep digging out wins (or even draws) from bad positions.

The thing is they often improve a lot once they get out of Galway but I'm not convinced that they are going well this year. I think they could be vulnerable to Ballintubber next week or even against Pearses in the final.

All the outstanding players hulk hands mentions were all part of the corofin under 21 winning team in 2014. The interesting thing - they've failed to even win a north board at the grade since. The stat is more sobering for minor - no north board (never mind county) since 2012

I'd be fairly sure all of their current starting senior team have minor or under 21 county medals. Things could start to get interesting in a few years when this no longer remains the case, and salthill, mountbellew, moycullen and claregalway are putting out senior sides with a good age profile and county underage medals falling out of all their arse pockets!

Potentially food for thought, and a glimmer of light at the end of the tunnel for those sick of this dominance !!

In the meantime, the 16 team format might keep them a bit more honest when implemented from 2021!

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    He was borderline to play with illness I believe

He's had a tough year. Rushed back for Galway hurlers and never looked fit. Apparently got very sick a few weeks ago. I heard myself he was a real doubt for turlough and barring it being their biggest game in 7 years probably wouldn't have featured. Still set up a goal though

Hopefully it's a much more positive 2020 for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭MfMan

kala85 wrote: »
    When has the galway hurling manager job to be announced by.

Is there another county board meeting coming up.

Tuesday night I heard there could be an announcement. Across the broad, majestic Shannon I've heard also, though source naturally could have it wrong.

Meanwhile, PJ had his first get-together over the weekend. Heard too a big clearout from west of the Corrib.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭macslash

MfMan wrote: »
    Tuesday night I heard there could be an announcement. Across the broad, majestic Shannon I've heard also, though source naturally could have it wrong.

Meanwhile, PJ had his first get-together over the weekend. Heard too a big clearout from west of the Corrib.

Any more info on that? Or would that be unfair

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭blowitupref

They haven’t half as much in the tank as you say.
    Up 3 or 4 gears?
    The gearbox and clutch are gone more like.
    They were poor and the stars should have bettered them both days

I remember simliar said about Corofin last year when they were far from convincing when winning the county title.

They then moved up the gears to win Connacht comfortably and went on to beat a highly rated Dr Crokes by 12 points in the AI final.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭MfMan

macslash wrote: »
    Any more info on that? Or would that be unfair

Heard a few from Michaels, Moycullen, plus Claregalway, Cortoon. As ever, it may be just hearsay, and anyway the panel would be open-ended, with players coming back into the picture later on.

• Advertisement

MfMan wrote: »
    Heard a few from Michaels, Moycullen, plus Claregalway, Cortoon. As ever, it may be just hearsay, and anyway the panel would be open-ended, with players coming back into the picture later on.

That would sound like Brannigan, Bradshaw, Cummins and Varley gone.

Bradshaw a great servant but getting on now. Might just be time.

Brannigan a bit of a surprise. Didn't have a great 2019 but carried an injury into the year which didn't help.

As you say though I doubt any panel for next year would be finalised now. There could be various reasons (work, travel) why some aren't on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Robert2014

Congrats to Corofin. Great achievement to win 7 in a row.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭franglan

How good are Outherard lads? Where are they decent and or lacking? Worthy winners of intermediate title? Much county players? Just trying to get a handle on weekend connacht club championship.

franglan wrote: »
    How good are Outherard lads? Where are they decent and or lacking? Worthy winners of intermediate title? Much county players? Just trying to get a handle on weekend connacht club championship.

Saw them a bit this year

Fine side, have been good enough for years to play senior football but just kept falling short in tight knock out games. All came together this year, have brought through some great underage players.

Went through the championship unbeaten, absolutely thumped their quarter and semi final opponents, and then came through in an epic final saga, winning on penalties after a replay.

Matthew Tierney is the player everyone is talking about and is a certainty to be called in by Padraic Joyce when their campaign concludes. Still only 19, he was a key player for the Galway under 20s this year. His brother Enda was a member of the Galway panel on and off over the last few seasons.

Have some fine club players in Eric and Niall Lee also, and their captain Eddie O'Sullivan was on the Galway juniors this year.

I've seen the Neale (Mayo champs) and Oard this year and Oard are a long way ahead of them from what I have seen.

The Roscommon champions tend to have a fine record in recent years in this championship though. Killannin and Claregalway are probably the best Galway winners this decade and both were beaten by a Ros side.

Where are they lacking? Its a very young team, they've lost some experienced players to emigration and injury like JJ Greaney and Damien O'Reilly, and the weather has been muck of recent so whether they can dig out sticky matches in these circumstances remains to be seen. That has been their undoing in Galway over the last few seasons

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭fearruanua

franglan wrote: »

Galways record in this competition in recent years has been pretty dismal tbh. An Spidéal won it last year for Galway for the first time since the jimmies in 2010.

Do ye think the number of senior teams in galway goes against us in the intermediate provincial competition?

fearruanua wrote: »
    Do ye think the number of senior teams in galway goes against us in the intermediate provincial competition?

Well there'll be 16 senior teams from 2021

Well there'll be 16 senior teams from 2021

I think that's the plan.

I think that's the plan.

It is - there's 3 senior teams going down next year, and 1 intermediate going up

It is - there's 3 senior teams going down next year, and 1 intermediate going up

I'm an advocate for reducing the number of senior teams in the county but i thought the 3 groups of 6 worked well this year. There were loads of different permutations right up to the last round of matches.

• Advertisement

I'm an advocate for reducing the number of senior teams in the county but i thought the 3 groups of 6 worked well this year. There were loads of different permutations right up to the last round of matches.

Agree but one of the third placed teams not getting through was a bit messy

Advertisement