Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway GAA Discussion Thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭MfMan

jr86 wrote: »
    So county final won't be televised Sunday

GBFM will have to do

If it was in Athenry I'd be there with bells on, but the hassle of going into Salthill, and the lack of atmosphere - forget it

I usually agree, but I feel in this instance that the Salthill pitch would/will actually be drier and more conducive to good hurling for this time of the year. That may have been a factor when deciding venue, as they did consider Athenry for the final, it was reported.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

BENDYBINN wrote: »
    Lets hope O Neil is strong enough not to allow the tail wag the dog..

Well with the players involved in the selection process then that is already happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,321 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

kaizersoze wrote: »
    Well with the players involved in the selection process then that is already happening.

I think it's healthy that they have some say but they don't have the final decision. Nobody wants a manager foisted on them. Ultimately the players have to buy into the management as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,201 ✭✭✭✭RMAOK

MfMan wrote: »
    Michael Bond, Eamonn Cregan both with Offaly.

I know it's football, not hurling, but John o'mahoney got us two all-ireland wins and he was an "outsider" also.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

I think it's healthy that they have some say but they don't have the final decision. Nobody wants a manager foisted on them. Ultimately the players have to buy into the management as well.

Mmmm. I'm not convinced. Consulting them, getting feedback etc is one thing but having them part of the selection process is another.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Frozen Veg

Players dedicate their lives to it.

They deserve to have a professional set up and some input to the process.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,119 ✭✭✭big_drive

Think it’s important players have some say. Then they have to get on with it

Bit like the Wexford lads begging Davy to stay, once he did they had to do whatever he wanted as they chased him

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭MattressRick

MfMan wrote: »
    Michael Bond, Eamonn Cregan both with Offaly.

Ah yeah I was thinking more recently as in back as far as our last win under o Mahoney in 01

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭I says

RMAOK wrote: »
    I know it's football, not hurling, but John o'mahoney got us two all-ireland wins and he was an "outsider" also.

Yeah a Roscommon man from ballaghaderreen :):):);)

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Robert2014

What do we think? Would he be under added pressure because of the circumstances that led to the vacancy? Or are the players under pressure from under-performing last year and not getting out of Leinster? Generally I think in this case new managers have a lot of success in their first year with an experienced team if we can get one more tune out of them. It doesn't seem like an appointment where we are expecting to team to be in transition and rebuilt.

I like Padraig Joyce's ambition but I'd settle for progress. He mentioned going back to a more traditional kicking game too. I hope it's a kicking game for the 21st century with blanket defences in mind and not a mindless kick the ball in and let the forwards win it approach. That may please the traditionalists but won't work in today's game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭h2005

grbear wrote: »
    Interesting to hear Joyce on Off the Ball repeating that his aim for 2020 is to win the All-Ireland. Targeting success is the right attitude even if it might seem far fetched right now.

Might sell a few more season tickets anyway!

Bit of a Solskjaer statement from PJ!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,197 ✭✭✭Robson99

Any word on O Neills backroom team?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭spurshero

h2005 wrote: »
    Bit of a Solskjaer statement from PJ!

It Probaly is . But isn’t it good to have a manager that’s positive . Like Kevin Walsh done good job but he always went on like we should be counting our lucky stars that we in division 1 or super 8s . I always think we should expect to be in these . We have the third biggest population in the country with a bigger pick then most so we should always aim to be in the mix. We Probaly won’t win all Ireland next year but it’s no harm to think we have as good as chance as anybody outside of Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭blowitupref

I says wrote: »
    Yeah a Roscommon man from ballaghaderreen :):):);)
    Worked and lives in Ballaghaderreen but I believe he's a Kilmovee county Mayo man.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,321 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Robson99 wrote: »
    Any word on O Neills backroom team?

Will be two Galway selectors apparently and a coach of his own choosing. No names yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

franglan wrote: »
    That's for the summary earlier of Outherard!

Well you got your answer today anyway, absolutely savage side

Definitely an All Ireland in them one would think

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭Always_Running

Well you got your answer today anyway, absolutely savage side

Definitely an All Ireland in them one would think

11 point winners thanks to a very strong last 15 minutes. 1-9 to 1-8 after 45 mins, FT 2-16 to 1-8. That was Tulsk's 4th game in 4 weeks and that schedule seemed to take its toll on the Roscommon club.

The Neale v Outherard will be close contested final i reckon.

Neale will have it all to do

Bar the Breathnachs saga, Oard have won their last 3 by over 10 points

Fine balanced side, with a good blend of youth and experience

Had a good spread of scorers too

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭grbear

Corofins occasional habit of dropping off/back in an attempt to manage games is the only real criticism you can aim at them. Gave Ballintubber a chance to regroup today instead of killing them off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Not a huge Thoms fan but great to see Fintan Burke thriving on his proper return from his cruciate. 2 points and a lovely assist to setup the decisive score.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

Not a huge Thoms fan but great to see Fintan Burke thriving on his proper return from his cruciate. 2 points and a lovely assist to setup the decisive score.

I'd be the same. Was delighted for him and Eanna after all they went through.

2 in a row is not to be sniffed at. Some achievement for a small club

Going to be a very big ask to get over (likely) Ballygunner in a semi, but they won't care about that today

Acc to GBFM crowds down considerably enough from last year's county final.

Not great when you consider Carnmore (and well done to them by the way) were in their first minor final in yonks, and would have brought a bigger crowd on their own than both minor finalists last year put together

In fairness it was a bitterly cold day but you'd have to wonder should Kenny Park be seriously considered for next year. You would up the crowd of neutrals quite significantly

• Registered Users Posts: 7,947 ✭✭✭threeball

The Connacht final is set for Tuam. If Pearses are loose marking they'll take off.

I'd say Corofin would have preferred Roscommon. They loved it last year. Thought it was a great pitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Wegian

Not a huge Thoms fan

Not a fan or don’t like them?

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭spud65

Delighted Thomas won, Small club with all of their players from a small parish. Wonder will mellows make a move in the transfer market over the winter :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,947 ✭✭✭threeball

2 in a row is not to be sniffed at. Some achievement for a small club

Going to be a very big ask to get over (likely) Ballygunner in a semi, but they won't care about that today

Patrickswell were very poor against Ballygunner. They played for about 8mins at the end of the first half reeling off 4 or 5pts in quick succession. Outside that they were desperate. Ballygunner are very beatable. Borrisoleigh will give them enough of it in the munster final. Ballyhale still the team to beat and unlikely anyone will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

threeball wrote: »
    Patrickswell were very poor against Ballygunner. They played for about 8mins at the end of the first half reeling off 4 or 5pts in quick succession. Outside that they were desperate. Ballygunner are very beatable. Borrisoleigh will give them enough of it in the munster final. Ballyhale still the team to beat and unlikely anyone will.

What does very beatable mean? They are a very good team with a proven track record, they'll be hard bet in the Munster final. No point looking beyond that until it's done.

St Thomas are a decent side but not great, would find it very difficult to make it out of either province if they competed in them.

It's funny how Galway complained about the unfair disadvantage they had of not competing in a province in The Inter County senior championship, but not the senior club championship. I wonder why that is...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

What does very beatable mean? They are a very good team with a proven track record, they'll be hard bet in the Munster final. No point looking beyond that until it's done.

St Thomas are a decent side but not great, would find it very difficult to make it out of either province if they competed in them.

It's funny how Galway complained about the unfair disadvantage they had of not competing in a province in The Inter County senior championship, but not the senior club championship. I wonder why that is...

Because the club champions will have a load of games played just by winning their championship ....the county team will be going in cold.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

BENDYBINN wrote: »
    Because the club champions will have a load of games played just by winning their championship ....the county team will be going in cold.

Because the County team weren't winning all Ireland's, the club teams were

Advertisement