Advertisement
Boards are fundraising to help the people of Ukraine via the Red Cross at this horrific time. Please donate and share if you can, you will find the link here. Many thanks.

Sailing & Boating on the Telly

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,640 ✭✭✭✭ neris

Not quiet the tele but Fastnet 79 documentary on the radio 1. Saturday at 1pm or Sunday at 7pm also can be downloaded onto your phone or tablet

https://www.rte.ie/radio1/doconone/2019/0801/1066410-back-to-the-rock/?fbclid=IwAR2BiGxtVDX26S5gLPnI-SmcpLqJ4cQp6oiDy3MKLJUr5bmnGwJrV4g1C-I

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭ Donie75

• Registered Users Posts: 24,734 ✭✭✭✭ HeidiHeidi

Donie75 wrote: »

That's a great film, saw it at its launch in the Lighthouse. Bit frustrating, in that it jumps from Tracy being a skivvy on charter boats in Greece to suddenly remortgaging a house to buy a boat to skipper around the world - left me kinda WTF?? :confused:

Nevertheless it's a great story, well worth a watch.

Some of the attitudes back then were pretty jaw-dropping (and not all the dinosaurs are dead!).

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 11,962 Mod ✭✭✭✭ AndyBoBandy

Excellent.

Can't wait to see this, the trailer was brilliant.

That fazisi was some looking yoke. They were another very interesting story out of that race with a suicide thrown in for extra intrigue

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭ Van Doozy

I enjoyed that - great recommendation, thanks.

Great story. Bit of a 'Cool Runnings' feel to it!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 15,588 Mod ✭✭✭✭ DOCARCH

Van Doozy wrote: »
    I enjoyed that - great recommendation, thanks.

+1

Recorded and watched it last night. Great watch.

A voyage for madmen

Decent new sailing series on YouTube. I want a Club Swan 36.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aS8JzWLA6P8

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,143 Mod ✭✭✭✭ fergal.b

118799043_3274724145949894_2707656895610909460_n_zpslshxkmvn.jpg

Interesting restoration & "conversion" of a round the world racer to family cruiser. Think the cover they built over the wheel looks dire though

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭ Mick Tator

Di you notice her ladyship looking through the binoculars wrong way round at 4.26?:D:D

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b075fxqb

Sporting Traditions, Sailors at Strangford Lough on BBC2 tonight at 10.30pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭ mcdonrob

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b075fxqb

Sporting Traditions, Sailors at Strangford Lough on BBC2 tonight at 10.30pm.

Enjoyed that :)
    Thanks

mcdonrob wrote: »
    Enjoyed that :)
    Thanks
    Ah, feck sake, I forgot all about it!! :o :rolleyes:

Worth catching up on then?

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭ mcdonrob

Worth catching up on then?

I would say, yes.
    Not the crash bang wallop of Sydney-Hobart but captured the race rivalry and the labour of love quite well.

I would say, yes.
    Not the crash bang wallop of Sydney-Hobart but captured the race rivalry and the labour of love quite well.
    Excellent! Look forward to it!

Americas Cup World Series starting tomorrow on Sky Sports and YouTube.
    Seriously impressive flying machines but I think the old 12 Metres were more tactical to watch.

https://www.yachtingworld.com/americas-cup/how-to-follow-americas-cup-world-series-auckland-prada-christmas-race-128853?lazyload=0

• Advertisement

Americas Cup World Series starting tomorrow on Sky Sports and YouTube.
    Seriously impressive flying machines but I think the old 12 Metres were more tactical to watch.

https://www.yachtingworld.com/americas-cup/how-to-follow-americas-cup-world-series-auckland-prada-christmas-race-128853?lazyload=0

I've no interest in watching these foiling things, same as I had no interest in watching the previous gen foiling cat's. 1 mistake/bad tack/gybe and your race is pretty much over.

Bring back the 12m's and I'll watch all day long.....

I would say, yes.
    Awww, that was lovely. If all a bit too gentle!

They remind me so much of the Glens in Dublin Bay, a whole culture all of their own.

I've no interest in watching these foiling things, same as I had no interest in watching the previous gen foiling cat's. 1 mistake/bad tack/gybe and your race is pretty much over.

Bring back the 12m's and I'll watch all day long.....

I can never get over serious (or any) racing boats with no rails :eek:

I'm kinda looking forward to this series - at least they're boats (as I recognise them), with actual sails as opposed to adapted aircraft wings. Or I think they are anyway.

Must see if there's any vintage footage from years ago and treat myself to a night of racing envy! Any recommendations gratefully accepted.

I can never get over serious (or any) racing boats with no rails :eek:

I'm kinda looking forward to this series - at least they're boats (as I recognise them), with actual sails as opposed to adapted aircraft wings. Or I think they are anyway.

Must see if there's any vintage footage from years ago and treat myself to a night of racing envy! Any recommendations gratefully accepted.

Loads on YouTube. I think there's some full races from 87 on there. Good documentary aswell on team new zealand for the 95 cup

Just caught some of the Prada Cup there on BBC2, and as expected the AC75’s aren’t very interesting to watch racing...

And you have to feel for the Brits who fall off the foils every time they tack, so it looks like a massive design error on their part....

Just caught some of the Prada Cup there on BBC2, and as expected the AC75’s aren’t very interesting to watch racing...

And you have to feel for the Brits who fall off the foils every time they tack, so it looks like a massive design error on their part....

This a good one, screen grab of a for sale ad for Ineos. Think the ad was pulled. It will download in pdf

https://content.sailinganarchy.com/uploads/2020/12/AC-75-AUction.pdf

Some beauties on this

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,143 Mod ✭✭✭✭ fergal.b

The programme airs this Thursday on RTE1 at 20:30

Thomas Mulcahy and Shirley Mullins members of the IWAI powerboat branch were asked to be contestants in this years RTÉ One Big DIY challenge with PJ Gallagher
    Our project was to renovate our little fletcher speedboat and baby proof it for Charlotte.

181912568_10157685985920047_2155016359272919165_n.jpg?_nc_cat=111&ccb=1-3&_nc_sid=8bfeb9&_nc_ohc=hIe9TrlVgv8AX9kTLoH&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=d2a088ebbb43aee3b710ce462354028e&oe=60B94A71

Advertisement