Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Burning the Poppy - A thread.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

I disagree totally.
    Army numbers are being constantly reduced so your point makes no sense imo. The British Army has acted admirably in every conflict it has been involved in. Of course there will always be a tiny, tiny number of rogue elements, but these occur in all walks of life sadly.

With the above you are clearly trying to wind people up. It's akin to trolling considering this is an Irish discussion forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Letwin_Larry

lawred2 wrote: »
    obvious bait post is obvious

no it's not. it is my opinion.

can anybody please tell me WTF was the Irish Ambassador carrying yesterday at The Cenotaph?
    What kind of wreath was that? not a Red Poppy on it!
    It looked totally ridiculous imo.

With the above you are clearly trying to wind people up. It's akin to trolling considering this is an Irish discussion forum.

do you always find it upsetting when somebody expresses an opinion contrary to yours?

i find that incredible, but sadly unsurprising imo.

in a funny i would actually like to Thank you. i mean that sincerely without a hint of irony. i have been trying to figure out these Boards for ages, but you have just clarified it for me in one sweet sentence.

It's akin to trolling considering this is an Irish discussion forum.

Thank you!

Could you define the words Irish discussion forum for me please? Is there something unique about it that forbids differing opinions?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I disagree totally.
    Army numbers are being constantly reduced so your point makes no sense imo. The British Army has acted admirably in every conflict it has been involved in. Of course there will always be a tiny, tiny number of rogue elements, but these occur in all walks of life sadly.

What's more I welcome the move by the Tories to change the law, protecting army veterans from vexatious legal actions. Long overdue imo.

Hey Blanch, I've found a penpal for you. :)

do you always find it upsetting when somebody expresses an opinion contrary to yours?

i find that incredible, but sadly unsurprising imo.

I have no problems with a difference of opinion, but clearly yours is a distortion of historical fact designed to bait and troll.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,295 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

no it's not. it is my opinion.

can anybody please tell me WTF was the Irish Ambassador carrying yesterday at The Cenotaph?
    What kind of wreath was that? not a Red Poppy on it!
    It looked totally ridiculous imo.

might help if you showed an image...

either way - why should a representative of the Irish state wear or carry anything with a symbol of a foreign armed forces?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

Don't know if it's been mentioned already on here but check out the page giantpoppywatch on twitter, very funny.

might help if you showed an image...

either way - why should a representative of the Irish state wear or carry anything with a symbol of a foreign armed forces?

well every other nation could manage it? eg Germany, Japan, India to name but a few.

here is the pic!
    image.jpg

well every other nation could manage it? eg Germany, Japan, India to name but a few.

any image no?

any image no?

before you jump all over me, the above pic is from 2014 but yesterday's wreath was exactly the same. i will try to get yesterday's pic.

i was in the pub having watched my beloved LFC, and a girl at the next table drew my attention to it. she thought it was shamrocks!

• Advertisement

before you jump all over me, the above pic is from 2014 but yesterday's wreath was exactly the same. i will try to get yesterday's pic.

i was in the pub having watched my beloved LFC, and a girl at the next table drew my attention to it. she thought it was shamrocks!

Shocking the education system nowadays when someone can't tell the difference between Shamrock and Laurel leaves. Was she British?

Shocking the education system nowadays when someone can't tell the difference between Shamrock and Laurel leaves. Was she British?

in her defence we were some distance from the telly and what stood out was there wasn't a hint of RED on it. no Poppies. all green.

are we that childish a nation that we couldn't do the same as every other mature democracy?

it seems so.:o

(i hope i haven't upset anybody by raising this. advance apologies if i have)

in her defence we were some distance from the telly and what stood out was there wasn't a hint of RED on it. no Poppies. all green.

are we that childish a nation that we couldn't do the same as every other mature democracy?

it seems so.:o

(i hope i haven't upset anybody by raising this. advance apologies if i have)

Not upset at all, however you didn't answer my question was she British? Even from a distance there is a noticeable difference between Shamrock and Laurel. Maybe she was short sighted or only saw what she wanted to see.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,976 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

I think there's no winning with it. If the wreath had poppies in it there would have been questions from some quarters. They don't put poppies in it and there are questions anyway.

Can we not forget the presence or lack thereof of a flower in a wreath and remember those unfortunate soldiers who came to a horrific end?

Not upset at all, however you didn't answer my question was she British? Even from a distance there is a noticeable difference between Shamrock and Laurel. Maybe she was short sighted or only saw what she wanted to see.

i cant vouch for her vision. i dont even know the girl except she was a REDS fan.

It's akin to trolling considering this is an Irish discussion forum. i wish the MODS would be open and tell us this. you cannot openly discuss certain topics, ie hold certain points of view on these forums as it will upset the natives. it would save many a needless banning.

i think i will use that as my signature. it's brilliant in its' clarity and succinctness.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

I always buy a poppy if I'm in the UK at this time of year.

My motivation is primarily in memory/respect of the thousands of Irish people who died in both wars.

• Registered Users Posts: 67,122 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

I always buy a poppy if I'm in the UK at this time of year.

My motivation is primarily in memory/respect of the thousands of Irish people who died in both wars.

Do you wear anything to remember those who died in our wars/conflicts?

I think there's no winning with it. If the wreath had poppies in it there would have been questions from some quarters. They don't put poppies in it and there are questions anyway.

Can we not forget the presence or lack thereof of a flower in a wreath and remember those unfortunate soldiers who came to a horrific end?

personally i think it say a lot about us as a country, as a mature democracy.

even the Japanese managed a few poppies, and they had 2 atomic bombs dropped on them!

then again the Black n Tans did shoot Mary Murphy's heifer in Ballygobackwards in 1921.

even the Japanese managed a few poppies, and they had 2 atomic bombs dropped on them!

then again the Black n Tans did shoot Mary Murphy's heifer in Ballygobackwards in 1921.

obvious bait post is obvious

my interactions with yourself are done anyway - tedious stuff lacking in any subtlety or wit

i cant vouch for her vision. i dont even know the girl except she was a REDS fan.

It's akin to trolling considering this is an Irish discussion forum.

i think i will use that as my signature. it's brilliant in it clarity and succinctness.;)
    I'm sure you educated her as to what the makeup of the wreath was .It would be sad if you allowed a follow red fan wallow in ignorance. Knowledge is very important helps to provide context.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67,122 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

'YOU MUST COMMEMORATE AS WE SAY'. If you don't we will denigrate what you went through and make light of what you suffered.

Poppy fanatics in full flow here. :rolleyes:

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Catholic, born in Belfast here. I was speaking at an event in the UK on the day and the organisers had a tray of poppies for speakers to wear and I was asked if I wanted one. I took it and wore it and didn't think twice about it. We're moving forward, some people need to get over that.

ps: I wouldnt have gone out of my way here to find one, its not our commemoration, but when asked if I wanted to there, I have no strong reason to make a "statement" by refusing.

Do you wear anything to remember those who died in our wars/conflicts?

yes, a poppy

I define 'our wars' as wars in which Irish People served in / died in so the Poppy covers that for me.

If there was an Irish poppy type thing I'd support that too.

DeVore wrote: »
    Catholic, born in Belfast here. I was speaking at an event in the UK on the day and the organisers had a tray of poppies for speakers to wear and I was asked if I wanted one. I took it and wore it and didn't think twice about it. We're moving forward, some people need to get over that.

ps: I wouldnt have gone out of my way here to find one, its not our commemoration, but when asked if I wanted to there, I have no strong reason to make a "statement" by refusing.

I get the easier life approach...

but I'd be questioning why an event organiser felt the need to have a tray of poppies on hand for anyone..

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,976 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

Not even a decent effort at trolling :pac:

yes, a poppy

I define 'our wars' as wars in which Irish People served in / died in so the Poppy covers that for me.

If there was an Irish poppy type thing I'd support that too.

there is an Irish Shamrock with a poppy and for the Easter Rising an Easter Lilly

So you'll be on the lookout for those then

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I get the easier life approach...

but I'd be questioning why an event organiser felt the need to have a tray of poppies on hand for anyone..
    Its not the "easier life" approach. (Ask anyone here, they'll tell you I don't take the easy road heheh). I just felt like I didnt have a firm reason not to and politeness is something I value. Also I have a leaning towards honouring the men and women of the RAF during WW2 and the soldiers in WW1 who included many Irishmen so it was no harsh task to wear it. The organiser had a tray of them the same way we might have a tray of shamrock on paddys day and yeah, if the Queen herself was here I'd expect her to wear some and be unimpressed if she didnt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I bought a poppy every year but have only worn it once (last year at my daughters graduation).

My great grandfather served with the Royal Dublin Fusiliers and his family benefited from the charity for many years after the war when they hadn't a pot to piss in at Christmas etc.

But I get some of those who protest it too, but most are knuckle draggers who haven't a clue what they're on about.

DeVore wrote: »
    Its not the "easier life" approach. (Ask anyone here, they'll tell you I don't take the easy road heheh). I just felt like I didnt have a firm reason not to and politeness is something I value. Also I have a leaning towards honouring the men and women of the RAF during WW2 and the soldiers in WW1 who included many Irishmen so it was no harsh task to wear it. The organiser had a tray of them the same way we might have a tray of shamrock on paddys day and yeah, if the Queen herself was here I'd expect her to wear some and be unimpressed if she didnt.

Are shamrocks and poppies equatable/equivalent?

not sure

I wouldn't expect anything garment or adornment wise from the Queen on a visit here beyond not wearing something offensive... I certainly wouldn't be expecting her to don shamrocks.

• Advertisement

there is an Irish Shamrock with a poppy and for the Easter Rising an Easter Lilly

So you'll be on the lookout for those then

Absolutely, I'd like it to be promoted better/bigger than it is.
    It seems to be a very low key thing for something that's so important.

Advertisement