Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

beef price tracker

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭morphy87

If they weigh as good as the rest of them you won’t be too bad, the weight this year is covering up the bad price some what

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭valtra2

Any price on cull cows have few to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,237 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

valtra2 wrote: »

2.5/2.6 I think

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭john mayo 10

valtra2 wrote: »

2.60 up to 3.20 per kg depending on grade in the factories.
    Cull cows have taken a hit in the marts though. 1 euro a kg at the moment

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,876 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

2.60 up to 3.20 per kg depending on grade in the factories.
    Cull cows have taken a hit in the marts though. 1 euro a kg at the moment

I'd say the general run of cows are back €100-150 a head in the marts in the last 10 days. An average continental cow is making circa €1-1.20 a kg atm with those at more extreme ends of the scale either a bit more or less. There's big show's of cow's everywhere currently and this will continue for the next month at least so it's hard to see much of an improvement in price in the short term.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Dozer1

had an Aubrac cow go Tuesday, R=5- @3.00/kg 361kgs came to 1,083.60

her comrade a cow same age Aubrac went in May 18 R+4= @3.70/kg 371kgs came to 1,372.70

some drop in 17mths....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭jfh

Sent 2 off Thursday, both 27 months
    Lim r+4= 430kg got €3.71 per kg, came into 1601
    Aa 0=3= 350kg got €3.47 per kg, came into 1184

The aa was out of a bb/fr heifer, very square but small. Both got the same treatment, ie no meal, just as weanlings, just grass from then on.
    Some difference in price, didn't get the aa bonus, but will someone explain the grading to me, was he over fat?

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Goeasy123

Can't see why you didn't get Aa bonus unless you were not a member. Both animals got 20 cent QA so movements must have been fine. R+ got 6 cent r+ topup on grid on a 3.45 base. He was lucky to not get docked for heavy weight. Just about under max weight I'd say. The two animals were chalk & cheese. The Aa grade would be more typical of a dairy bred Aa steer. He was at 3.45 base plus 20 cent QA & minus 18 cent on grid due to being an o=. At a fat score of 3= he was barely fit for an Aa even though anything from a 2+ up is acceptable. Where as the Lm at a 4= was almost over fat especially for a Lm.

Goeasy123 wrote: »
    Can't see why you didn't get Aa bonus unless you were not a member. Both animals got 20 cent QA so movements must have been fine. R+ got 6 cent r+ topup on grid on a 3.45 base. He was lucky to not get docked for heavy weight. Just about under max weight I'd say. The two animals were chalk & cheese. The Aa grade would be more typical of a dairy bred Aa steer. He was at 3.45 base plus 20 cent QA & minus 18 cent on grid due to being an o=. At a fat score of 3= he was barely fit for an Aa even though anything from a 2+ up is acceptable. Where as the Lm at a 4= was almost over fat especially for a Lm.
    Both were cattle I breed myself, stragglers from spring cavles, I thought the aa would finish sooner than a lim, he possibly needed feeding?

jfh wrote: »
    Both were cattle I breed myself, stragglers from spring cavles, I thought the aa would finish sooner than a lim, he possibly needed feeding?

Big difference between kill out % between those two cattle as well. LM R+ could 54-55% & the AA could be 50-51% at an O= which to me is 780kg live vs 680kg live. AA definitely needed a bit of feeding but only meal at grass. Could have possibly brought him up to an O+ & a better kill out. It's the only time meal feeding makes some economic sense imo. 3 or 4 kg for 4-6 weeks at grass would do the job.

• Advertisement

Big difference between kill out % between those two cattle as well. LM R+ could 54-55% & the AA could be 50-51% at an O= which to me is 780kg live vs 680kg live. AA definitely needed a bit of feeding but only meal at grass. Could have possibly brought him up to an O+ & a better kill out. It's the only time meal feeding makes some economic sense imo. 3 or 4 kg for 4-6 weeks at grass would do the job.

Very informative. Thank you

Sent 2 off Thursday, both 27 months
    Lim r+4= 430kg got €3.71 per kg, came into 1601
    Aa 0=3= 350kg got €3.47 per kg, came into 1184

The aa was out of a bb/fr heifer, very square but small. Both got the same treatment, ie no meal, just as weanlings, just grass from then on.
    Some difference in price, didn't get the aa bonus, but will someone explain the grading to me, was he over fat?

This is another example of AA preformance. Between weight gain( although this lad was ok at 0.8kg/day his grade considering he was off a suckler was poor. I imagine taht his mother at a similar age would have graded better than that. It would lead you to believe that his sire was an O- or poorer bull.

I would not call an animal at 3= barely fit. Most friesans I kill would be at that FS. If you carried him much farther he be over the weight for the AA scheme(I know it was not paid). He might have squeezed into a O+ with another 30-50kgs DW.

However the issue I find with AA more and more is even with feeding they still only weight gain at 0.6-0.7kgs LW/Day. They are no longer ealy maturing more in the line of late maturing.

Slava Ukrainii

More and more it is getting to the stage it is not paying to feed AA. They both got the same treatment and the LM was 4 FS. I do not think the AA wouldhave improved with feeding I think he have trundled along at 0.8kg/day and ration would have replaced grass. At 0.8kgs LW gain/day he be doing 0.4kg carcass worth 1.38/day. At best he go to 1kg LW gain/day or 0.5kgs carcass worth 1.73/day. The raton wold cost over 75cent to 1.5/day depending on amount and cost for maybe 50c/day in extra carcass weight

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

morphy87 wrote: »
    Very good weights,when did you buy the chx and what weight was he? And in general how do you find the chx out of dairy cows?

Got another chx/fr away during the week. O= 4+ 444kg no penalty on weight. Couldnt believe he was over far. Only getting small amount of meal and minerals and a big tall framey animal.
    Had an R-4- aax/suckler 340kg and a bbx/fr R-3+ 450kg no dock in weight. 10 gone over 30mts now and all cattle well fit going by the chx fat score but slow to get them away. There is 7 of those over age gone well over weight id say and hopefully not over fat. The 3 above were on the 30mts limit.

More and more it is getting to the stage it is not paying to feed AA. They both got the same treatment and the LM was 4 FS. I do not think the AA wouldhave improved with feeding I think he have trundled along at 0.8kg/day and ration would have replaced grass. At 0.8kgs LW gain/day he be doing 0.4kg carcass worth 1.38/day. At best he go to 1kg LW gain/day or 0.5kgs carcass worth 1.73/day. The raton wold cost over 75cent to 1.5/day depending on amount and cost for maybe 50c/day in extra carcass weight

He was out of ai bull aa2123 who is only 2 star for terminal, it was a blue x heifer so gave her an easy calving aa first time,

He was out of ai bull aa2123 who is only 2 star for terminal, it was a blue x heifer so gave her an easy calving aa first time,

Just looked him up on icbf. His confirmation score is 0.37 which is much less than the AA breed average of 0.67. Great reliability on his figures so I would believe them. I'd also look more at the sub indexes than the terminal because it takes in everything. Majority of his progeny are from dairy dams so his calving at 2.5% would be low enough for use on the suckler herd. Big difference between what a dairy man & a suckler man call a rating of a 3 or a 4 in calving score when filling in the birth reports. I also see that his progeny take longer to finish than his comrades so for me these figures are all borne through in the poor results you got with him.

I can understand that. However use him on an extreme HO or worse on an Jex cow and you have a p grading animal. While his weight gain was not too bad on the FrXBB on a Jex cow he could be back to 0.5kg/day and that if he had enough grass which you lad had when you look at the LM result.

I killed some AA bullocks a few weeks ago. They were off Suckler cows(SH and AA from icbf). While I had them they achieved 0.64kgs/ day. Lifetime gain was 0.63kgs/day. I fed them ration for the last 8 weeks as I would be under pressure for grass. If they were Fr they would have turned inside out in that time. They just trundled along.

They had to be squeezed on arrival and spend the winter on rape. At there best they were only doing 0.7kg/day taking the winter into account. There is a huge issue with the AA as a breed it is going downhill fast.

On a lot of AA cattle when you deduct the 6/ head for the producers group it's only worth 23-30 euro on the cattle and that is for bullocks.

Slava Ukrainii

Don't agree, at grass this time of the year big cattle need extra energy that the grass can't supply. I doubt he was doing 0.8 the last few weeks with all that rain & wet grass / ground. Still plenty of protein in grass so high energy feed like rolled barley at 50 to 60 cent cost per day would have been better. Whereas the LM could have gone a month ago if he could have been got into the factory

I can understand that. However use him on an extreme HO or worse on an Jex cow and you have a p grading animal. While his weight gain was not too bad on the FrXBB on a Jex cow he could be back to 0.5kg/day and that if he had enough grass which you lad had when you look at the LM result.

I killed some AA bullocks a few weeks ago. They were off Suckler cows(SH and AA from icbf). While I had them they achieved 0.64kgs/ day. Lifetime gain was 0.63kgs/day. I fed them ration for the last 8 weeks as I would be under pressure for grass. If they were Fr they would have turned inside out in that time. They just trundled along.

They had to be squeezed on arrival and spend the winter on rape. At there best they were only doing 0.7kg/day taking the winter into account. There is a huge issue with the AA as a breed it is going downhill fast.

On a lot of AA cattle when you deduct the 6/ head for the producers group it's only worth 23-30 euro on the cattle and that is for bullocks.

You only have to go to some of the non Premier Angus sales to see the poor standard of the majority of AA bulls out there for sale. How an 0+ grading 500kg bull is every going to produce anything but a P from a HO cow I'll never know. Never mind the bad ADG as well. But is all in the name of easy calving short gestation. The new Dairy Beef index is testament to this. Geared far to heavily towards these & conformation & carcase weight is only a poor 2nd. Hopefully this Spring coming l might make the dairy man see some value in better beef merit bulls. Doubtful though when he just wants rid of calf & the cow milking straight away

Don't agree, at grass this time of the year big cattle need extra energy that the grass can't supply. I doubt he was doing 0.8 the last few weeks with all that rain & wet grass / ground. Still plenty of protein in grass so high energy feed like rolled barley at 50 to 60 cent cost per day would have been better. Whereas the LM could have gone a month ago if he could have been got into the factory

I expect he was doing well over 0.5/kgs. The LM would not have held his flesh unless the grass was good. Cattle have thrived well enough over the last few months for me. When you take into account. Got quoted 240/ ton for barley in bags late or 24c/ kg. At 3 kgs / day it would cost 75 c with no fibre a lot would run through them. Byut even if they converted it all it would add 250grams of LW/day and even giving a 60% conversion to flesh 150grans of flesh worth 60cent. The economies of meal feeding is marginal on good cattle not go mind on lower quality cattle

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement

I expect he was doing well over 0.5/kgs. The LM would not have held his flesh unless the grass was good. Cattle have thrived well enough over the last few months for me. When you take into account. Got quoted 240/ ton for barley in bags late or 24c/ kg. At 3 kgs / day it would cost 75 c with no fibre a lot would run through them. Byut even if they converted it all it would add 250grams of LW/day and even giving a 60% conversion to flesh 150grans of flesh worth 60cent. The economies of meal feeding is marginal on good cattle not go mind on lower quality cattle

You're right about the LM, must have been decent enough energy available to hold his fat score. That's mad money for rolled barley in bags. 145 or 150 green price plus 10 for rolling 10 for bagging & 20 for storing / drying / preserving plus some margin isn't 240!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,089 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

You're right about the LM, must have been decent enough energy available to hold his fat score. That's mad money for rolled barley in bags. 145 or 150 green price plus 10 for rolling 10 for bagging & 20 for storing / drying / preserving plus some margin isn't 240!!

It's a long time ago since a miller told me that he needed €80/ton for anything to go through the mill

wrangler wrote: »
    It's a long time ago since a miller told me that he needed €80/ton for anything to go through the mill

€20 should cover storing & drying/preserving so I'd imagine green price + €50 should be the price when collecting bags

• Registered Users Posts: 13,452 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

This is another example of AA preformance. Between weight gain( although this lad was ok at 0.8kg/day his grade considering he was off a suckler was poor. I imagine taht his mother at a similar age would have graded better than that. It would lead you to believe that his sire was an O- or poorer bull.

I would not call an animal at 3= barely fit. Most friesans I kill would be at that FS. If you carried him much farther he be over the weight for the AA scheme(I know it was not paid). He might have squeezed into a O+ with another 30-50kgs DW.

However the issue I find with AA more and more is even with feeding they still only weight gain at 0.6-0.7kgs LW/Day. They are no longer ealy maturing more in the line of late maturing.

I had aa heifers hit 360 dead this year. 1 was 298.

1 36 month HE, bought last year as a hail mary, hit 392.

No ration to finish, amazing power in grass this year.

I didn't think it possible.

Everything is like a friesian bullock now.

Yes, I was trying to get the lim sold a month ago, they have had the best of grass all year.
    I was xcrossing sucklers to an angus few years ago, did well out of it, but agree quality aa terminal bull is hard to find, produced for the dairy man now. Better options with the lim regards selling as store or weanlings if need arose to sell

€20 should cover storing & drying/preserving so I'd imagine green price + €50 should be the price when collecting bags

20% is the green price based off you will reduce weight by over 5% water is heavier than grain getting it to 16%DM. Some will take it to 12-14%DM. @150/ton this adds 8 euro before you factor in drying costs. So 20 is a bit tight. I have expected at that green price in bags it would be 220/ton but there you go.

Kerry were nearly 300/ton for bags of barley. I bought neither

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 4,232 ✭✭✭Robson99

Got another chx/fr away during the week. O= 4+ 444kg no penalty on weight. Couldnt believe he was over far. Only getting small amount of meal and minerals and a big tall framey animal.
    Had an R-4- aax/suckler 340kg and a bbx/fr R-3+ 450kg no dock in weight. 10 gone over 30mts now and all cattle well fit going by the chx fat score but slow to get them away. There is 7 of those over age gone well over weight id say and hopefully not over fat. The 3 above were on the 30mts limit.
    Ballyhaunis ??

That’s good going,lucky enough you’re not getting cut for weight but I thought under the new agreement they had to give six months notice before introducing weight cuts? When did you buy those cattle and when do you hope to shift some more?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

morphy87 wrote: »
    That’s good going,lucky enough you’re not getting cut for weight but I thought under the new agreement they had to give six months notice before introducing weight cuts? When did you buy those cattle and when do you hope to shift some more?

Have been getting cut for weights since the strike ended. Anything over 450kg getting a 10 cent cut. Over 500kg (had one) a 20 cent cut.

• Advertisement

Cavanjack wrote: »
    Have been getting cut for weights since the strike ended. Anything over 450kg getting a 10 cent cut. Over 500kg (had one) a 20 cent cut.

I thought they had to give notice of cuts?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement