Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"OK Boomer"

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Dante7

This has quickly become the default response from the pronoun brigade on Twitter when they are confronted with an argument which they cannot debate. The correct response is, "OK Barista, now get me my latte".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

With the fact that people born in Ireland in the 50s and 60s are getting blamed for American wars in the 80s and 90s - does this mean that us millenials are responsible for Trump, Boris Johnson, Syria & Maria Bailey?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

ok snowflake

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

IMG-20191108-212649.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

With the fact that people born in Ireland in the 50s and 60s are getting blamed for American wars in the 80s and 90s - does this mean that us millenials are responsible for Trump, Boris Johnson, Syria & Maria Bailey?

No, the wobbly thesis that the travails of society are directly attributable to an entire generation apparently abruptly ended around 2000.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

No, the wobbly thesis that the travails of society are directly attributable to an entire generation apparently abruptly ended around 2000.

I don't think the poster is asking if it is true but if many believe it to be so.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

tuxy wrote: »
    I don't think the poster is asking if it is true but if many believe it to be so.

I was agreeing/riffing with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

Also what about the intra generational differences? My dad was born in 1946 - he has little in common with those born at the other end.

The early Gen X folk had to emigrate en masse in the 80s as the economy was so woeful. The late Gen X people born in the late 70s/early 80s (me) had it piss easy. It was Celtic Tiger time by the stage we left school/went to college/started working.

The differences between the generations is interesting, societal trends, economic patterns etc - for sure. But this kinda stuff gets a bit silly.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

MrAbyss wrote: »
    The "I shot JR" for fellas in their early 30s still living with their parents and considering what brand of tampons to purchase?

I'm in my early 30s and live at home and was called a boomer earlier in reponse to calling some oversensitive people snowflakes - in the context of the Mr Tayto tweet that was taken down.
    My parents are boomers, I am not. The offending article (it didnt have enough intelligence to be a human) was factually incorrect.

Maybe it's a reactionary thing rather than something thought out?

Although I suppose that would imply these fad terminologies are thought out.

sdanseo wrote: »
    I'm in my early 30s and live at home and was called a boomer earlier in reponse to calling some oversensitive people snowflakes - in the context of the Mr Tayto tweet that was taken down.
    My parents are boomers, I am not. The offending article (it didnt have enough intelligence to be a human) was factually incorrect.

Maybe it's a reactionary thing rather than something thought out?

Although I suppose that would imply these fad terminologies are thought out.

I agree but the term "snowflake" is on the same level as "ok boomer"
    Two sides of the same coin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

I agree but the term "snowflake" is on the same level as "ok boomer"
    Two sides of the same coin.

I've no problem with either term when used in correct context. Snowflake is designed to be mildly offensive and reflect people who are overly sensitive. Boomer conversely is meant to reflect those a big long in the tooth to care about sensitivities.

Where the whole thing falls apart is that there are plenty of people who would be slightly (or more) right of centre who are also, by definition, millenials. They can't be boomers. It's an illogical insult.

Compare boomer to millennial, sure, but not to snowflake. "Snowflakes" transcend generations.

The "ok boomer" can also apply to millennials.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭tigerboon

Is it not just today's kids way of saying "shut up you old fart " but nicer......being snowflakes and all that

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

No, most are very aware of the meaning and what ages boomers are. Unfortunately it is mostly the boomers who are unaware of what ages millenialls are, and call them kids, like yourself just did. They are young and not so young adults. I was born in 1980 and when gen x was a thing, I was still in school. So I guess Im what they call an x-ennial, sort of in between the two.

For those having trouble understanding the OK Boomer phrase, it comes out of the awareness that boomers are first of all, the generation largely responsible for the bewildering and terrifying corporate capitalist hellscape that America (and actually, quite a lot of the world, the western world in particular) has become.

And millennials are now fed up trying to explain to them how screwed we are because you quickly realize they either don't get it or don't care, as they are alright jack, they have houses, health insurance, savings, pensions and investments. But they think millennials have it easy because... they have Ipads and Uber.

They call millennials kids... when millenials are on their 20s and 30s. But when they want to point out how they haven't done the stuff that previous generations have all done by the time they are 25, now suddenly we will be told 'you're grown adults, for chrissakes!'

So we've just given up trying in depth communication as it is like talking to a really dumb robot.

Hence, 'ok boomer'.

You are taking me far too literally and I am the same age as you. I explained how it is used by young Irish and I have seen it coming from Gen Z use it for anyone older than them so I have seen it used IRL. In an American sense it is how the poor millennial have nothing because the boomers did not pave a future for their kids and spent all their money just enjoying themselves and not thinking of future generations or helping out the economy, it is also a dig at the older generation not understanding what the younger generation is going through and when being lectured by the boomers they can dismiss them with a 'OK boomer.'.

The "ok boomer" can also apply to millennials.
    That's the thing. Someone born in 1983 is an "old" person but still a millennial.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

This popped up in my youtube feed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭RWCNT

This popped up in my youtube feed.

I'd highly recommend you don't listen, that man is a first class idiot.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

BuboBubo wrote: »
    Gender fluid, something something

Keep your gross gender fluids to yourself, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭BuboBubo

BeerWolf wrote: »
    Keep your gross gender fluids to yourself, thanks.

Excuse me mister Wolf, my gender fluids are only extracted from the finest of genders.

How dare you insult my gender... fluid :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭kieran.

Raconteuse wrote: »
    That's the thing. Someone born in 1983 is an "old" person but still a millennial.
    Not sure 36 is officially 'old'

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 418 ✭✭high_king

I've noticed Ageism is becoming more and promoted and supported in Ireland. Young turkeys voting for Christmas.
    "OK Turkeys"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Dante7

kieran. wrote: »
    Not sure 36 is officially 'old'
    It isn't objectively, but to a 21-year-old it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

These hysterical molly birds should be appreciative of what past generations did to give them such a soft and pampered upbringing in the west.

These hysterical molly birds should be appreciative of what past generations did to give them such a soft and pampered upbringing in the west.

You’re worthless and weak. You do nothing, you are nothing, you sit in here all day and play that sick, repulsive, electric twanger! I carried an M16 and you, you carry that, that guitar!

So doesn't this happen every generation?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,576 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

I think the main thing, that people of this country should “appreciate”, that our Boomers did was to make paedophilia no longer an acceptable part of our society in the mid 90’s.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

No idea whatsoever what this thread is really about - is this some sort of Twitter hashtag thing?

To me “boomer” means someone of the “baby boom” generation from the USA or the UK, born between 1946 and 1964. The original hippies, mods, punk rockers, New Romantics and the so called “rebellious” generation. The generation Hollywood director Oliver Stone made his films for.

Ireland’s baby boom generation (aka the “Pope’s Children” coined by a Mr David McWilliams) was born between 1968 and 1983, which I and many here on Boards are a part of. Basically Generation X and the oldest part of the millennials. Ireland was about 20 years behind the rest of the West because we were much poorer until the 1990s.

Being Generation X, we grew up with colour tv, music videos, computer games, 80s pop and 90s grunge and techno, summer jobs whilst in secondary school and in college, access to computers and the early internet and - for the younger part of Gen X, an economy that was starting to really take off when we graduated and started work in earnest.

We were also the generation screwed by the Great Property/Credit Bubble and the banking sector collapse. Many of my good friends ended up in negative equity. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/009954203X/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Read this book while on holiday this year and it talks about how most western European states used the post war rebuilding period to implement social welfare states that improved everything from the availability of healthcare to the availability of housing, education, etc.

Those bloody damn boomers and their Walmart

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/009954203X/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Read this book while on holiday this year and it talks about how most western European states used the post war rebuilding period to implement social welfare states that improved everything from the availability of healthcare to the availability of housing, education, etc.

Those bloody damn boomers and their Walmart

That would have all been done by the parents and grandparents of the age group being criticised, though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭ArrBee

Having heard in this thread that it applies to all sorts of age groups and generations and that it's not too be taken as literally the baby boomers. And the intended purpose of the put down, I reckon it boils down to a reaffirmation by those that use it that they expect life to gift them everything.

I mean, the target in this context is surely just "any successful person"
    Kind of a compliment really.

Advertisement