Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do people boast about not watching RTÉ?

Options
  • 09-11-2019 11:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭

Every time a discussion about RTÉ comes up, you’ll get the usual types who say ‘I just watch Netflix’, can nobody see how bad this is for society?
    It’s important to have an engaged public, a public who cares about what’s happening in the country, whose engaged in some way in public discourse and one important medium this can be achieved is through a national broadcaster.
    It was a much more interesting time when people actually were engaged in what was going on, and not just consumed by the latest binge series viewing on Netflix(which is ****e btw)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,785 ✭✭✭Odelay

Haven’t watched it in years.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,553 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Every time a discussion about RTÉ comes up, you’ll get the usual types who say ‘I just watch Netflix’, can nobody see how bad this is for society?
    It’s important to have an engaged public, a public who cares about what’s happening in the country, whose engaged in some way in public discourse and one important medium this can be achieved is through a national broadcaster.
    It was a much more interesting time when people actually were engaged in what was going on, and not just consumed by the latest binge series viewing on Netflix(which is ****e btw)

You don't need RTE to be engaged, informed or involved on public discourse

• Registered Users Posts: 14,715 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Odelay wrote: »
    Haven’t watched it in years.

Stop boasting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

You think people can only engage if they watch RTE? What nonsense is this?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

People are simply annoyed to pay for something they don't use or see value in. I flip flop on the issue. I don't like paying the licence but watch RTE begrudgingly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I'd watch it if there was more decent stuff on. Take out news and current affairs and it's all programming available on other channels, or absolutely terrible attempts home grown comedy. Tuesday night: Reeling in the years repeated for the umpteenth time, followed by Fair City and then EastEnders - riveting viewing. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,937 ✭✭✭pgj2015

they are just self hating Irish people usually, RTE is Irish so they pretend not to watch it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

How is saying you don't do something boasting?
    If you think RTE or any type of media in 2019 will give a balanced unbiased representation of the state of our nation and issues the media feel are worth reporting on you need to stop watching rte and get out more . Expand your horizons.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

I would agree with your statement I highlighted. But this is not just up to the public; if this engagement is to exist for a large part of the public, the broadcaster also needs to make an effort to be representative of society as a whole and allow for all points of view to be represented. I don’t believe it is the case with RTÉ. For exemple, if you were to poll RTÉ journalists and hosts every time there is a referendum, i am convinced the average RTÉ result would be completely misaligned with the public vote, showing that some opinions which are either a majority or a sizeable minority in the general public are virtually not represented in what is supposed to be a national broadcaster.

No surprise then that people don’t watch if they feel their views are not being represented (and to be clear: by represented I don’t mean dominant, just proportionally represented to their prevalence in the general public).

It isn’t just an Irish issue btw - and probably exists with most Western public broadcasters. For exemple close to us if you were to poll BBC host, journalists, and editors on how they voted for the Brexit referendum, it is pretty clear you would get an overwhelming majority of remain voters - which understandably makes many British people feel underrepresented. This is the problem with “diversity” nowadays: it has came to only mean diversity based on physical characteristics (skin colour, gender, etc), but it completely overlooks diversity of opinions, social classes, or territorial distribution. If all your staff consists of middle/upper class urbanites who tend to have the same class interests and all agree on most social and economical issues, you can mix skin colours and gender all you like (which of course there is no issue with), you won’t make it more representative of the general population. And of course I realise people present in the media will alway to some extend be part of an elite, but the problem is when none of that elite is able to empathise with other parts of the public and represent its views/interests.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

I watch TG4 because there is actually quality programming on that.

RTÉ not so much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Because rte is sh*te and people are been forced to pay silly money when the likes of Netflix offers far better value. Only people who work for rte would defend the robbing feckers. Also it's funny the amount of old people who can get bband and don't realise what their missing out on by not streaming. Even Amazon or Disney offer far better entertainment or just watch HBO shows online for quality tv. Netflix is superb these days, lots of great things to watch. Rip off rte is bad for society. Personally I hate rte almost as much as I hate junkies as they offer absolute rubbish value for money

• Registered Users Posts: 15,012 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

I think to there is a certain mentality that thinks watching a traditional state funded station from a small county is on someway backwards.

If you read any TV License thread around here people are trying to out do each other with claims that they haven't watched RTE in X years, or that they only watch streamed stuff from y source etc.

I'm late 40s and watch feck all TV right now, but RTE is my go to station for Irish news and current affairs and many documentaries, and any sports I bother to watch.
    I don't watch The Late Late, or Operation Transformation etc and a lot of the imported comedy is bad, and I do stream or download other media, but I don't just dismiss RTE and it's value out of hand as some do.

Hands up who recalls Sky New Ireland ?

It lasted a few months at most.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,481 ✭✭✭✭banie01

To justify not paying a license fee?
    To signal they don't buy into "state propoganda"?
    To signal that they are far too smart for the sheeple Shepards?
    To signal they are intellectual and require intelligent discourse?
    To label those that do, as contemptible?

But...

I'm gonna go with the 1st 1 ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

I work with a few like that, it's all Netflix this and Amazon Prime that. I watch RTÉ news and current affairs because I want to know what's going on in this country but I also pull my news from other channels and various internet sites.
    Recently a few of the more mature set in the office were discussing the confidence and supply arrangement and wondering how long more it would last over coffee, one of the younger ones hadn't a clue about what we were talking about and turn around and says "Jesus lads ye'd want get a life", the same person not that long ago asked the Taoiseach's name, I just looked at her and she came back with "you know, he's kinda good lookin with sallow skin"
    I really despair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭nkl12xtw5goz70

RTE's coverage of issues is hopelessly biased.

E.g., if the topic of Travellers comes up, RTE will represent them as victims of settled society, air a few sob stories, interview someone from Pavee Point who will say "ethnic minority" a dozen times, and then call for more spending on this or that to benefit them.

100% guaranteed that RTE will make no mention of Traveller criminality, feuding, bare-knuckle fighting, anti-social behaviour, marrying off girls to their cousins at 16, etc. No mention of how elderly people in rural Ireland have been terrorized by Traveller gangs.

Numerous issues are whitewashed in the same way.

RTE is not objective, and should not be trusted to engage the public in an honest, balanced dialogue. Everything is slanted towards their own insular D4 point of view, and anyone with a contrary opinion rarely gets a look in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

pgj2015 wrote: »
    they are just self hating Irish people usually, RTE is Irish so they pretend not to watch it.

Tell us how many hours of RTE you watch per week. Name the programmes you tune into regularly (apart from the news).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

I watch it, very little but I watch it, wife probably watch’s a lot more as she has a few favourites, because we want it I pay the license

I don’t think people boast about not watching it, I think if you look at most threat the majority want rte to stay but just to cut its cloth to its means. 2fm is a big hole gobbling up money with no return.

Tell us how many hours of RTE you watch per week. Name the programmes you tune into regularly (apart from the news).

id say about 30+ hours per week. i watch nature docs, gaa and soccer shows, shows like room to improve, first dates ireland, music shows, at your srvice, loads more rte.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

RTE's coverage of issues is hopelessly biased.

E.g., if the topic of Travellers comes up, RTE will represent them as victims of settled society, air a few sob stories, interview someone from Pavee Point who will say "ethnic minority" a dozen times, and then call for more spending on this or that to benefit them.

100% guaranteed that RTE will make no mention of Traveller criminality, feuding, bare-knuckle fighting, anti-social behaviour, marrying off girls to their cousins at 16, etc. No mention of how elderly people in rural Ireland have been terrorized by Traveller gangs.

Numerous issues are whitewashed in the same way.

RTE is not objective, and should not be trusted to engage the public in an honest, balanced dialogue. Everything is slanted towards their own insular D4 point of view, and anyone with a contrary opinion rarely gets a look in.
    and thats why i dont own a TV this crap is depressing to read in newspapers alone, so nothing lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭boring accountant

The only decent coverage of the Kevin Lunney saga came from the BBC. For weeks I had absolutely no idea what was going on other than the basic facts of the abduction. No context or analysis was provided by any Irish outlet. These people do nothing but copy paste from other outlets and get paid massively bloated salaries. Sick of it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭Varta

Seamai wrote: »
    I work with a few like that, it's all Netflix this and Amazon Prime that. I watch RTÉ news and current affairs because I want to know what's going on in this country but I also pull my news from other channels and various internet sites.
    Recently a few of the more mature set in the office were discussing the confidence and supply arrangement and wondering how long more it would last over coffee, one of the younger ones hadn't a clue about what we were talking about and turn around and says "Jesus lads ye'd want get a life", the same person not that long ago asked the Taoiseach's name, I just looked at her and she came back with "you know, he's kinda good lookin with sallow skin"
    I really despair.

I could discuss the confidence and supply arrangement with you and I know the Toaiseach's name but I haven't watched RTE in at least ten years.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,476 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

id say about 30+ hours per week. i watch nature docs, gaa and soccer shows, shows like room to improve, first dates ireland, music shows, at your srvice, loads more rte.

You seriously need to switch off the tv and get out and have a life.
    Literally nothing you’ve listed there interests me one bit, I get news from independent sources.

I’ve literally been not paying a licence fee now for 25 years and have no intention of starting. I’m sure they will insist I do at some stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,404 ✭✭✭✭sKeith

Rte dont work in my home.
    I pay my tv license.
    I have an ad blocker.
    I have whitelisted rte from ad blocker, but thats not good enough for rte. Rte want me to remove add blocker completely from my network in order to watch Rte just cause they don’t host the ads they want me to watch.

When rte fix this. Ill be able to watch rte. Until then, its rtes broken sites fault.

_Brian wrote: »
    Literally nothing you’ve listed there interests me one bit, I get news from independent sources.

I’ve literally been not paying a licence fee now for 25 years and have no intention of starting. I’m sure they will insist I do at some stage.

i have a life thanks, that is not much tv in fairness, i work 7 days a week, have different hobbies and other things to do other than watch tv, why would it matter if what i watch is of no interest to you? strange thing to say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

id say about 30+ hours per week. i watch nature docs, gaa and soccer shows, shows like room to improve, first dates ireland, music shows, at your service, loads more rte.

Fair enough. I don't care for reality TV so I'd not be tuning into those, regardless of what channel they were on. I mostly don't watch RTE because their offerings are mediocre. Give me the BBC any day. Especially BBC4.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭CosmicFool

Because people like to give out and think they're better than others

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

It can be biased but I'm not gonna be watching Virgin Media for Irish news.
    Wtf? They should get a life because what they watch doesn't interest *you*? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭NoteAgent

So because it doesn't interest you means people that do like it have bad taste/ no life?

How arrogant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

Netflix(which is ****e btw)
    In fairness, at 7.99 a month it's hardly shyte. You're doing the same regarding Netflix.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Why do people watch rte.

Advertisement