Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpopular Opinions - OP Updated with Threadban List 4/5/21

Options

Comments

For almost all my entire working life, my bosses have been women. And not because of quotas. The best rise and anecdotally, they were the best I guess.

I prefer to have a female boss. There's a nice boundary where you aren't expected to be heading out for a beer, or a round of golf, and there's no awkward lads-type chat which I'm not a fan of. The races / footie being on etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Mules

I don't like pennys:eek:

For almost all my entire working life, my bosses have been women. And not because of quotas. The best rise and anecdotally, they were the best I guess.

I prefer to have a female boss. There's a nice boundary where you aren't expected to be heading out for a beer, or a round of golf, and there's no awkward lads-type chat which I'm not a fan of. The races / footie being on etc.

Same. Finance has always been dominated by females because so many entered the industry. Not so many in the top positions because of the crazy hours needed to succeed, but all my managers were female. But then, most males I knew weren't interested in going for the top positions either. Little consideration is given to the men who will never reach upper management, but if women don't, then it must be some form of discrimination.

I've had a few male bosses but the vast majority have been female. Both in Finance and again, now, in third level education.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭quokula

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    The bit about midwives was tongue in cheek but now that you mention it, in 2017 the UN tried to change the term "pregnant woman" to "pregnant person" in case it offended anyone. You couldn't make it up!

Couldn't make it up? Turns out you could make it up, and UK newspapers did.

https://fullfact.org/law/pregnant-people/

• Registered Users Posts: 15,770 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

randd1 wrote: »
    Yes, but then do should white people get annoyed at a Native American for wearing a suit, which is a product of western white culture? Or driving a car? Or eating a lasagne? Or watch a TV?

If you were to apply the cultural appropriation problem literally, there would be a lot of non-white people in seriously desperate poverty given that most of what they have available in society and use comes from the white west in origin.

I see no difference in the argument in favour of the cultural appropriation as put forward by some and the aims of groups like the Ku Klux Klan. Ultimately it's about discrimination and racism from the deepest ignorance manifesting itself.

Now, I'm off to eat a sweet and sour chicken, watch crazy anime to the sound of reggae in the background, while wearing a sombrero and a poncho while herself gives me dreadlocks.

Knock yourself out, I don't care what you do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭randd1

Knock yourself out, I don't care what you do.

I might try on a Native American headdresses at some point, to see how it goes with the ensemble.

I might try on a Native American headdresses at some point, to see how it goes with the ensemble.

Yes you do that imaginary thing.
    Good lad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭randd1

Yes you do that imaginary thing.
    Good lad.

Who says it has to be imaginary? There's a party shop down the road from me, they'd surely have one.

Who says it has to be imaginary? There's a party shop down the road from me, they'd surely have one.

Any shop with kids toys. Cowboys and indians is still kinda popular in many stores. (I went buying gifts for my nieces the last time I was home. Plenty of uniforms and dress-up to choose from. The Eskimo outfits were particularly cute)

Pic or gtfo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

Donating to cancer research is a waste of money because no-one in Ireland will discover a cure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Redneck Reject

The native headdress is considered sacred among most native tribes. And to have whites wear it and make a mockery of it's meaning is nothing but ignorant thinking. Considering the tragic history of whites and natives in the US. It would be along the lines of me dressing in ragged clothing pretending to be a victim of your potato famine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

There are women at present, who are knowingly and shamelessly rising fast in their profession(s), simply off the back of being a woman. Companies, political parties etc are promoting them over their colleague's for pr reasons alone. This is, ironically enough, blatant sexism.

The people protesting asylum seekers being shoe-horned into their parishes are not being 'infiltrated by the alt-right' and are in fact normal people with fairly reasonable concerns.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

There are women at present, who are knowingly and shamelessly rising fast in their profession(s), simply off the back of being a woman. Companies, political parties etc are promoting them over their colleague's for pr reasons alone. This is, ironically enough, blatant sexism.

The people protesting asylum seekers being shoe-horned into their parishes are not being 'infiltrated by the alt-right' and are in fact normal people with fairly reasonable concerns.

It wont be long before someone upset at your opinion will be along to tell you , that you are wrong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

vriesmays wrote: »
    Donating to cancer research is a waste of money because no-one in Ireland will discover a cure.
    There isn't expected to be a cure ever by anyone anywhere, but funding is still of course necessary for research to make treatment as effective as it possibly can be, and indeed this has already been demonstrated with huge advances in treatment and care and awareness to catch it early. And survival rates are significantly increased in the last 30 years. You of course know this (imagine using cancer to troll and to beat the "The Irish are thick except me" drum).
    There are women at present, who are knowingly and shamelessly rising fast in their profession(s), simply off the back of being a woman. Companies, political parties etc are promoting them over their colleague's for pr reasons alone.
    I can't stand the idea of quotas - best person for the job. As a woman, I can't get down with us receiving special treatment, as that's also quite sexist. But I'm not sure of it being that widespread. Are there specific examples you can give? Just asking a question (before that guy loses his sh1t).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

Raconteuse wrote: »
    There isn't expected to be a cure ever by anyone anywhere, but funding is still of course necessary for research to make treatment as effective as it possibly can be, and indeed this has already been demonstrated with huge advances in treatment and care and awareness to catch it early. And survival rates are significantly increased in the last 30 years. You of course know this (imagine using cancer to troll and to beat the "The Irish are thick except me" drum).

I can't stand the idea of quotas - best person for the job. As a woman, I can't get down with us receiving special treatment, as that's also quite sexist. But I'm not sure of it being that widespread. Are there specific examples you can give? Just asking a question (before that guy loses his sh1t).

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/education/funds-for-women-only-professorships-aim-to-end-gender-inequality-1.3693939?mode=amp

Rodin wrote: »
    Oh for sure, but women "knowingly and shamelessly rising fast in their profession(s), simply off the back of being a woman" implies this coven who are scheming their way to hit top. That's a different thing to increased funding

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

Oh for sure, but women "knowingly and shamelessly rising fast in their profession(s), simply off the back of being a woman" implies this coven who are scheming their way to hit top. That's a different thing to increased funding

Increased funding of positions which actively EXCLUDE men based solely on gender.
    If that isn't discrimination....

Rodin wrote: »
    Increased funding of positions which actively EXCLUDE men based solely on gender.
    If that isn't discrimination....
    Of course it is - I despise that stuff - but it's not in line with what the other poster said.

I would never employ a woman.

men dont suffer periods which cause some of them to be less productive every month.
    Also some women take maternity leave longer than any man, which means you not only have to pay them when they are off, you have to hire someone else to take over their role.

Notice how i said "some", as I am not saying its that way for all, but from a business sense, its not economically viable.

"sits and wait for the calls of me being a woman hating sexist"

• Advertisement

I would never employ a woman.

men dont suffer periods which cause some of them to be less productive every month.
    Also some women take maternity leave longer than any man, which means you not only have to pay them when they are off, you have to hire someone else to take over their role.

Notice how i said "some", as I am not saying its that way for all, but from a business sense, its not economically viable.

"sits and wait for the calls of me being a woman hating sexist"
    Jeez you have a thing about adding that kind of ending to your posts. It's almost as though you are being deliberately provocative and you'd love it to happen so that you get to have a confrontatation!

Employ who you like, but gleefully proclaiming you'd discriminate, yet also complaining about other forms of discrimination is a tad hypocritical isn't it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Better Than Christ

*Expresses boring, idiotic opinion*

*Sits and waits for someone to call me a boring idiot*

Jeez you have a thing about adding that kind of ending to your posts. It's almost as though you are being deliberately provocative and you'd love it to happen so that you get to have a confrontatation!

Employ who you like, but gleefully proclaiming you'd discriminate, yet also complaining about other forms of discrimination is a tad hypocritical isn't it?

what is the name of this thread ?

Its my opinion, and its unpopular, but financially my post has merit, or have you chosen to disregard that ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭johnire

Women who go on endlessly about gender balance in the workplace but this doesn’t seem to apply to jobs like pest controllers, refuse collectors,couriers,waste disposal depots.....in other words any job that is traditionally seen as extremely hard work-can be messy and not always the most pleasant.
    Why are women constantly claiming that there’s lack of gender balance in the media,government,managerial roles etc but there not so quick to want to do jobs in the sectors I’ve given examples of?
    I’m all for gender balance but it’s not right to pick and choose where the balance should be. It’s all or nothing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 428 ✭✭blueshade

Absolutely, that annoying screechy bint Jo Swinson being a prime example. Playing the woman card because she wasn't invited on to a TV debate with Corbyn and Johnson. The only consolation is that next year she'll have been kicked out and replaced with another minority, probably the black chap that defected from Labour or the Tories. Lim Dems got rid of their ''stale pale male'' and replaced him with an ugly gobby bitch, so when the election is an utter disaster for them they can replace her with a more attractive ''minority''. Now, if only there was a black lesbian who identified as a man, who has a bunch of mixed race kids and a disability they'd be quids in. All about the optics.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

The Chinese must be smarter than the Irish as there are far low common cancer rates there.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,030 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Now its great to see Sean Cox on the mend, but I think there is ulterior motives at play with Liverpool inviting him to attend the game this weekend.

If they were playing a mid- to lower table team instead on Sunday, do I think he'd be a guest of honour? I don't. They are the masters at stoking up extra atmosphere from the crowd, and will use the occasion to add a layer of intimidation for City.

Different breed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Now its great to see Sean Cox on the mend, but I think there is ulterior motives at play with Liverpool inviting him to attend the game this weekend.

If they were playing a mid- to lower table team instead on Sunday, do I think he'd be a guest of honour? I don't. They are the masters at stoking up extra atmosphere from the crowd, and will use the occasion to add a layer of intimidation for City.

Different breed.
    You may be over thinking this .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

I am just Marvellous .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Sorry about that

Different breed.

A mid to lower table team wouldn't generate the sense of occasion that City will. I think it's a great gesture, which will only help Sean Cox's cause, nothing more. Well done Liverpool.

Advertisement