Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda tries to arrest a minor and mother and family intervene

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,280 ✭✭✭alias no.9

BattleCorp wrote: »
    Forgive me here but why would someone be searching the internet for a receipt for a scrambler similar to the one in the clip?

It was hardly to cover up the fact that it was a stolen scrambler, was it?

No doubt it's to pay a visit to the pound to claim their property back.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Ninthlife wrote: »
    Dont have to deal with what exactly. The aftermath of handing out fines to those on welfare?

I do and have thought of it. Ive also thought of all the money both public and privately raised money put into facilities to try and curb such anti social behaviour. The time and effort communities have given only for it to be eventually wrecked by those with that mindset.

The softly approach doesnt always work. Alot has been tried and alot has failed. My suggestion albeit harsh may be something that would work on certain individuals or families.

No one likes losing out on money

Fines dont work regardless of social class. Just look at the perception of speed cameras in this country. Your harsh suggestion only aids in kicking someone who's already down. But the spin from that, is they arent going to be the only ones feeling the hit. You deduct the welfare, their kids will eat less.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Ninthlife

degsie wrote: »
    Can a cop just walk up to somebody and simply state "you are under arrest" without stating what crime was committed? He didn't even state that he was a garda and could be a peado in a clown suit looking for his next victim!

I think the full garda uniform and driving a garda bike with flashing blue lights have given his being a member of An Garda Siochana away

• Registered Users Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Ninthlife

Fines dont work regardless of social class. Just look at the perception of speed cameras in this country. Your harsh suggestion only aids in kicking someone who's already down. But the spin from that, is they arent going to be the only ones feeling the hit. You deduct the welfare, their kids will eat less.

Which is also why I said community work in order to gain the social welfare. The cash element being reduced and shortfall given as food stamps.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,649 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Do you have a link to the Facebook page? I need a good laugh right now

God I'd love to see that FB post

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Exactly he was unprofessional and by law what he did was illegal, what would he do put him on the bike ?

Illegal ? How ?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,672 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Illegal ? How ?

He wasn't wearing a Garda hat under his helmet it seems. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

If the kid went inside the house he couldn’t have entered without a warrant, I presume that’s why he didn’t wait,this arrest will amount to nothing in court, I bet it was over something stupid as well

Depending on the suspected offence he could have easily been legally able to have the door knocked up the hallway without a warrant. You’d be surprised how many bits of legislation concerning powers of arrest have the turn of phrase “...may arrest without a warrant...” in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Odelay

lol that is what I thought too. I assume it is actually a receipt they are looking for.

Fcukin hell. There’s no hope for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Klonker wrote: »
    You're right, it is getting worse because the likes of these are having as many kids as they want and our taxes wil take care of it, bigger house and all. While the working families are having to make huge sacrifices to have one or two kids.

I don't want to get into the whole homeless thing but 95% of homeless families are like these, never worked a day in their life, probably kicked out of their HAP home for not paying and/or wrecking the place. Very few homeless are actually decent people who fell on hard times. That's why I hate all this homeless stuff in news and don't give donations to homeless charities, I rather give it straight to the actual living on the streets homeless.
    Our taxes won't take care of if infinitely though. Eventually the whole thing will become top heavy and topple over like some inverted pyramid scheme when the taxpayer at the bottom is no longer able to bear the burden

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭cannotlogin

I'm know I'm probably thick but are they looking for a replacement seat or a receipt?

I'm not sure if it's a joke or serious. I've had a sheltered life.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

It's a receipt so they can say they bought it somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,260 ✭✭✭✭endacl

A minor on a scrambler on a public road, more than likely without a helmet. No tax, no insurance. A danger to himself and other road users.
    Not a big deal at all...
    Nothing that couldn't be solved by a mistimed wheelie and an oncoming truck.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,873 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

BattleCorp wrote: »
    Forgive me here but why would someone be searching the internet for a receipt for a scrambler similar to the one in the clip?

It was hardly to cover up the fact that it was a stolen scrambler, was it?

Because the scrambler has now been siezed (I'd imagine) and will only be released to the owner with proof of purchase. Or it was stolen, but that can be proven with the VIN (or whatever unique identifier is on these). Unfortunately, lots of people don't seem to think you should write these down.
    degsie wrote: »
    Can a cop just walk up to somebody and simply state "you are under arrest" without stating what crime was committed? He didn't even state that he was a garda and could be a peado in a clown suit looking for his next victim!

Yes, but they should identify themselves as a Garda if it's not clear. If there are still worries, any proper Garda would be ok with waiting there until another unit arrives for proof.

I've watched the video, and as per usual with all of these it's missing the vital before footage. But, I can summise the following:

- Youth was using the mini scrambler in public (illegal on multiple counts)
    - Bike Garda stopped him as he jumped off outside his house
    - Asked the youth his name
    - Youth refused - arrestable offence
    - Garda went to arrest
    - Family got involved and physically prevented the Garda from effecting the arrest
    - 2 forcibly remove the youth from the Garda
    - Garda is understandably worried about his safety
    - Pepper spray was a bit OTT but can be excused due to the situation (imo)

So yeah, the youth and 2 of the 3 who interfered should be arrested after this, the youth for driving without licence, tax, insurance, refusing to give details, and a few others (13 is the male legal age of responsibility), grey woman and red shirt man for interfering.

Typical reaction to seeing your little angle getting arrested with these types. As a Garda you get used to it.

Regarding entering the house without a warrant, it depends on the offence, some offences you can enter without warrant, others you can't. But, and correct me if I'm wrong, but if you're arresting someone and they flee into a house, the law allows you entry without a warrant, but if you had to enter to arrest them it would be different.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,982 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Would you view the use of the spray as ott ? The Garda is significantly outnumbered, trying to make an arrest, is being physically prevented from doing so by a large vocal, intimidating and unruly mob by ways of an assault on him.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,386 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

He’s a kid for gods sake and the cop has no hat and is on a bike, and you slag the family?

A bike guard's hat is known as a bike helmet. They tend to take them off when they're not on the bike.

Strumms wrote: »
    Would you view the use of the spray as ott ? The Garda is significantly outnumbered, trying to make an arrest, is being physically prevented from doing so by a large vocal, intimidating and unruly mob by ways of an assault on him.

I would. At that stage, the lad in red looked happy to be arrested, had his hands behind his back and all. If he was still aggro and trying to resist, then I would consider the use of the spray grand, but it seemed to have been calming down at that stage. I would still have had it at the ready though, those situations are 50/50 as to how they go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭Beeping Kitchen Appliances

Regarding entering the house without a warrant, it depends on the offence, some offences you can enter without warrant, others you can't. But, and correct me if I'm wrong, but if you're arresting someone and they flee into a house, the law allows you entry without a warrant, but if you had to enter to arrest them it would be different.

It's called "hot pursuit" where a cop can enter a dwelling on the heel of someone who has committed an arrest able offence and is making off. I'm not sure if it applies here though as the power of arrest is for a traffic offence I.e section 107 of the road traffic act being no licence and no I'd. Or dangerous driving.
    They had to add updated legislation a few years ago to allow cops to follow drink drivers they were pursuing into driveways and houses.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

Because the scrambler has now been siezed (I'd imagine) and will only be released to the owner with proof of purchase. Or it was stolen, but that can be proven with the VIN (or whatever unique identifier is on these). Unfortunately, lots of people don't seem to think you should write these down.

Yes, but they should identify themselves as a Garda if it's not clear. If there are still worries, any proper Garda would be ok with waiting there until another unit arrives for proof.

I've watched the video, and as per usual with all of these it's missing the vital before footage. But, I can summise the following:

- Youth was using the mini scrambler in public (illegal on multiple counts)
    - Bike Garda stopped him as he jumped off outside his house
    - Asked the youth his name
    - Youth refused - arrestable offence
    - Garda went to arrest
    - Family got involved and physically prevented the Garda from effecting the arrest
    - 2 forcibly remove the youth from the Garda
    - Garda is understandably worried about his safety
    - Pepper spray was a bit OTT but can be excused due to the situation (imo)

So yeah, the youth and 2 of the 3 who interfered should be arrested after this, the youth for driving without licence, tax, insurance, refusing to give details, and a few others (13 is the male legal age of responsibility), grey woman and red shirt man for interfering.

Typical reaction to seeing your little angle getting arrested with these types. As a Garda you get used to it.

Explain about the pepper spray,. Bearing in mind if you put your hand on Law Enforcement in USA then you are at risk of being shot dead!?
    Also in most European countries this is an absolute NO NO.. So please elaborate on why you think pepper spray was ott.. he wasn't in a position to choke hold or initiate a fight/combat situation,.as he had to stand back and keep an eye out for more combatants/attackers.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,386 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Our taxes won't take care of if infinitely though. Eventually the whole thing will become top heavy and topple over like some inverted pyramid scheme when the taxpayer at the bottom is no longer able to bear the burden

The wealth gap has widened over time, our highest earners are doing just fine. But there's plenty of doom and gloom about another recession on the horizon when the effects of the last one are still evident, and we'll see massive unemployment due to automation in the longer term. That's going to push huge numbers of people out of the workforce and into the ranks of the unemployed. Society is in for a shock and there needs to be some serious thought put into how to solve the problem.

• Advertisement

Explain about the pepper spray,. Bearing in mind if you put your hand on Law Enforcement in USA then you are at risk of being shot dead!?
    Also in most European countries this is an absolute NO NO.. So please elaborate on why you think pepper spray was ott.. he wasn't in a position to choke hold or initiate a fight/combat situation,.as he had to stand back and keep an eye out for more combatants/attackers.

Having been in similar situations before, and literally going on that video alone (so cannot see behind the camera), at the stage where he used it it was calming down, imo. The lad in the red shirt was being held by one hand, and put his other hand behind his back expecting, and allowing himself, to be arrested. And the Garda sprays him anyway. Again, hard to call not knowing all the facts, but based on what I saw I think it was a bit much. But, I can also see it being ok if challenged, due to the situation.

Thankfully, we're not light the US (yet) and the Gardai are praised for their ability to diffuse situations without the use of force. I don't want that to change. But again, it's easy for me to say the above without having being there, and with hindsight being something we can discuss. It's a lot different being there making that call in the few seconds it takes.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

If you wear pyjamas on the street in the middle of the day you're a fleabag.

If you let your kid rip up and down the road on a scrambler you're a fleabag.

If your parents do either of the above two things, then you're more than likely going to turn out to be.... that's right.... a college graduate.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Can only imagine how embarrassed this family are going to be when they arrive at work this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

So having done a bit of digging, I think I've found out what a reseat is. Its a part related to attaching the wheel to the axle, or to "reseat" the wheel so to speak.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Huntergonzo

Omackeral wrote: »
    Can only imagine how embarrassed this family are going to be when they arrive at work this morning.

Probably all sitting in traffic right know thinking about what they done.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

So having done a bit of digging, I think I've found out what a reseat is. Its a part related to attaching the wheel to the axle, or to "reseat" the wheel so to speak.

Not sure if you are messing or being serious.

But it is clear he was looking for a "receipt". The bike has been seized and he is looking to get it back. To do so he will need to prove ownership.

This is hard with a bike that is stolen. The little angle himself also posted an add looking for a "reseat".

• Registered Users Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭rom

Don’t worry that kid will be the leader of the resistance someday. Having a terminator as a father figure did sort him out. Clearly his own parents were too soft. Poor lads real mother is in a mental asylum ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,165 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

padd b1975 wrote: »
    If I'd have ever got into trouble with the Gardai when I was younger, my parents would have dragged me out of the house by the ears to be arrested.

So that's why your nickname is wingnut! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

Tzardine wrote: »
    Not sure if you are messing or being serious.

But it is clear he was looking for a "receipt". The bike has been seized and he is looking to get it back. To do so he will need to prove ownership.

This is hard with a bike that is stolen. The little angle himself also posted an add looking for a "reseat".

No wasnt messing, I googled it and its what I found on a bike forum.

Put it down to a coincidence so, but reading your mans post yeah I see now its kind of clear it was a receipt he was looking for

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

STB. wrote: »
    Rubber bullets is the way forward, is it ?

Alright so, off yis go, yis headcases. :D

When gangs take over an entire housing estate forcing all the decent neighbours to stay indoor afraid to "rat" or they face the consequences and the police force can't do anything to control it then yes I'm sure the majority of the public would love to see the army roll up and if one of the little animals starts firing rocks, fireworks or anything of that nature at them then rubber bullets would he justified.

Advertisement