Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gay Byrne RIP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Didn’t he interview Terry Keane when she revealed that Charlie Haughey was her “Sweetie”?

She'd have revealed that to a bum on the street, she was that arrogant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

RIP Gay.

Wasn't a huge fan but no denying he was a legend of broadcasting in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

May Gay RIP in peace.He was the greatest broadcaster RTE ever had.The Late Late was a great show when he was presenting it,unlike the poor show it is now.He wasn't always perfect,who is,but he was a broadcasting legend.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

I remember that Gerry Adams interview when it was on and the general consensus from the adults in my life at the time was that Gay Byrne went for the jugular but Adams went all Mohammed Ali on his ass and Gaybo made a bit of a dick of himself.

I must watch it myself tonight as I have not seen it in full.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭Invisibleman

I was only about 13 or 14 when that interview was broadcast, but I remember thinking how absolutely horrible and condescending he was to her.
    I never liked him.
    The amount of people fawning over him here is unbelievable.

i even got a warning for my opinion !
    Yet there has been way worse said by other people,
    funny that

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Letwin_Larry

jmayo wrote: »
    Yes that wasn't good, but do you realise how many topics he brought onto the LLS that good old catholic Ireland did not want to touch ?

I think his personal friendship with the like of Casey and O'Leary may have coloured his opinion and it showed in that interview.

But he helped drag Ireland into the 20th century.

Hell if you are old enough you would have heard the comment that the LLS was responsible for all the sex, etc in Ireland.

He had chance to work overseas and AFAIK did bits in US but he chose to stay in Ireland.

Don't forget RTE from the 60s produced not alone Wogan, but some other brilliant long running top broadcasters in the UK like Eamon Andrews.

CONDOMANIA! :eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,336 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

The Late Late Toy Show was a staple of my youth. Him in his cardigan, having a ball with the kids, it was infectious.

And U2 giving him a Harley Davidson on his last show.

There really won't be another one like him. Rest in Peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

I was only about 13 or 14 when that interview was broadcast, but I remember thinking how absolutely horrible and condescending he was to her.
    I never liked him.
    Off one interview? You were coming in near the end of his time, almost 40 years of it. Imagine the effect of that kind of show in the 60s and 70s, even the 80s? He was also excellent on radio.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

i even got a warning for my opinion !
    Yet there has been way worse said by other people,
    funny that

I'm awaiting my yellow card as we speak ;) We're all entitled to our opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭tonycascarino

Said hello to him once, he said hello back. That was my claim to fame in relation to Gaybo. Much preferred Gay to the current matchstick man we have fronting the Late Late for sure. Much better presenter and much better guests when he was there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

I never liked him.

It’s almost like other people hold different opinions to you or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

I never liked him.
    We've got the usual ****e from Mammy McAlleese so Father Brian can't be too far behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Samsgirl

171170 wrote: »
    RTE were ready:

https://twitter.com/RTELateLateShow/status/1191373158961557504?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

"There will be a special live edition of The Late Late Show in tribute to Gay Byrne tomorrow, Tuesday night at 9.35pm on @RTEOne."

Late late of a Tuesday? No one will get up for work in Weds #fakesaturday

RIP Gay

It's true that there seems to be a lot of focus on two particular interviews out of thousands. Topics:

1 The Catholic Church, and
    2. Irish Republicanism.

Can't for the life of me understand why both those 'nothing to see here' uncontroversial safe topics produced such comment. It's like slagging off the Andrex Puppy.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

RIP gaybo, plank and tubby never lived up too your legacy and the late late show is a shadow of its former self.

Most of the posters on this forum would have no experience of growing up with the Late Late Show in 2 tv channel Ireland. Hard to imagine it now, no wifi, and the tv shutting down at midnight. That was when he was at his best.

It's unfair judging Byrne for the last 10 years or so of his broadcasts, he was an old man by then and surrounded by sycophants.

If nothing else, the fact he had such a high profile media career in those decades when casual racism, misogyny and sexual harassment were normal in society, and came out scandal free with not even a whisper of impropriety, has to be a measure of a good man.

The LLS died when Gay Byrne left it. It was a serious current affairs programme with some light entertainment thrown in.

Pat Kenny just turned it into the Pat Kenny show of vacuous Z Celebrity waffle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

RIP
    He had an amazing technique of actually listening to what people were saying.
    You just had to like the man. Thanks for all the good programmes.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Roadtoad

The night of the quiz show when he called the mum of a girl who died after submitting her entry. He and all the panel were 100% professional, and spontaneous.
    Nobody that followed him could have handled it so well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Lefty Bicek

It's true that there seems to be a lot of focus on two particular interviews out of thousands. Topics:

2. Irish Republicanism.

Can't for the life of me understand why both those 'nothing to see here' uncontroversial safe topics produced such comment. It's like slagging off the Andrex Puppy.

How old are you ?

• Advertisement

RIP
    He had an amazing technique of actually listening to what people were saying.
    You just had to like the man. Thanks for all the good programmes.

That was the fundamental difference with Pat Kenny. Kenny never shuts up and just uses TV as a platform to recite his own research.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

2. Irish Republicanism.

Blatant WUMistry right here.

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭boetstark

did you say that about Jimmy saville too ?
    The truth is the truth
    Ah for fcuk sake Jimmy Saville was a paedophile, which is based on fact.
    You come on a forum of a recently deceased public broadcaster and **** all over it with your personal opinions.
    I really fear for humanity with people like you about.
    Horrible

1. How old are you ?

Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,770 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Whatever your opinion of him, best to leave it at the door. This is a thread of condolences really. No need for it.

RIP Gaybo

RIP to the man and condolences to his family.

As many others have said, he was one of the most influential people in Irish life and broadcasting for many years and did a lot to drag Ireland forward.

But that doesn't mean that he was perfect, nor does his death make him suddenly immune from criticism.

I hate this attitude that someone dying absolves all their negative aspects. Better he remembered for his strengths but not without his flaws either.

Just like the rest of us.

Why?

Because anyone who thinks that taking on the RC church in this country in the '70's and even early '80's, was safe/uncontroversial/Andrex...

... is oblivious.

Because anyone who thinks that taking on the RC church in this country in the '70's and even early '80's, was safe/uncontroversial/Andrex...

... is oblivious.

As oblivious of not being able to spot when poster's tongue is firmly in cheek?

Well that went right over your head.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

RIP Gay Byrne. what a gentleman. He contributed so much to Irish society

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Mirafiori

Roadtoad wrote: »
    The night of the quiz show when he called the mum of a girl who died after submitting her entry. He and all the panel were 100% professional, and spontaneous.
    Nobody that followed him could have handled it so well.

I remember this, even though I have not seen it since. His ability to respond so well and authentically to the poor woman in such a difficult and unexpected situation on live TV has stayed with me.

• Advertisement

As oblivious of not being able to spot when poster's tongue is firmly in cheek?

Well that went right over your head.

:D

Don't know you from Adam.

Advertisement