Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gay Byrne RIP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

171170 wrote: »
    RTE were ready:

https://twitter.com/RTELateLateShow/status/1191373158961557504?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

"There will be a special live edition of The Late Late Show in tribute to Gay Byrne tomorrow, Tuesday night at 9.35pm on @RTEOne."

That's weird phrasing. Isn't it always live? Plus in context, this is the one time a compilation of recordings might be more appropriate?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

On the contrary, his shunning of Gerry Adams like a rabid dog remains one of the highest points in LLS history!

It was some show alright. Gabo was really wound up and had a slew of Gerry haters on the panel. He was glaring at Adams like the devil had arrived in person in Montrose and of course he refused to shake the hand of his guest, he even stood away from Adams to distance himself from Beelzebub. Gaybo really made a show of himself. Adam's swotted Gay and the panel away like flies. It was one of those occasions when Gaybos political and class bias got in the way of his professionalism and he ended up looking like a bitter has-been.

He was a pretty good broadcaster in many respects , a lot better than the RTE crew today.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,038 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I think his greatest contribution to Irish society was smashing through taboos and sacred cows.

The country was repressed to the extreme but he took it all on (it probably would have happened eventually anyway but he speeded things up),

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

That is sad and he will be missed. An Irish icon and always thought his interviewing style was superb and he had a skill that is sorely missed today. He was a good listener.

But most of all I will miss his laugh. A very infectious laugh out loud laugh!

RIP Gaybo

• Registered Users Posts: 10,292 ✭✭✭✭branie2

He was a great presenter, may he rest in peace.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭tylercheribini

Berserker wrote: »
    Rubbish, that condom segment was a massive two fingers to them. The church had a strangled-hold on most things at the time, including RTE. Could have easily ended up getting the boot over that. I was young at time but I remember my father explaining the context of it to me. Nobody else would have done that.

Well his handlers must have chilled him afterwards because that seems to have been the peak of his iconoclasm, went to bat for Casey and the Church when Casey scandal emerged.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭WengerOutIn

I guess there will be no more for everybody in the audience.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

R.i.p Gay, he was one of the better broadcasters of RTE stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

R.i.p Gay, he was one of the better broadcasters of RTE stock.

I think that is called damning someone with feint praise!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭Invisibleman

Have another look, check out the bold part. You'll get there.

lol the typical response of a hypocrite

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Lefty Bicek

On the contrary, his shunning of Gerry Adams like a rabid dog remains one of the highest points in LLS history!

Gerry wiped the floor with all of them, though.

In general Gaybo was bit too much of a Montrose West Brit - ref. the Hot Press interview.

On the other hand, promoted Irish enterprise when our national self-image was not as inflated as it is now.

National institution one way or another though, RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,081 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

RIP Gaybo! He was a large part of many peoples lives in this country. His radio theme and for The Late Late Show are etched on most peoples brains. Sympathy to his family and friends. He deserves a State funeral, especially when you consider some that will get it when they pass in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,038 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Well his handlers must have chilled him afterwards because that seems to have been the peak of his iconoclasm, went to bat for Casey and the Church when Casey scandal emerged.

He had many a debate which showed the Church in a bad light - the famous Cardinal Daly vs Fr Brian D'Arcy one for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,202 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

lol the typical response of a hypocrite

Did you bang your head today?

Rather than derail this thread. PM me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Enjoyed listening to him sometimes and knocked him off when I didn't. A true professional and good at what he did. I was too young to enjoy the LLS when he was at his best but watched it near the end of his tenure, they will never find anyone to match his talent that includes the incumbent. RIP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭171170

I really enjoyed listening to his jazz shows on Lyric FM, long after he had left RTE. It was very clear that he genuinely loved jazz and his presentation sparkled.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,803 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

I’ll tell ye one thing.
    If gaybo was around the late late these days he wouldn’t be entertaining the idea of interviewing that fcukin idiot blindboy boatclub wearing a tracksuit,woolly hat and fcukin plastic bag on his head on live tv.
    Gaybo wouldn’t suffer that nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,868 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

i remember he did the who wants to be aa millionaire on rte. He was brilliant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Letwin_Larry

The internet generation will never understand just how big an influence and voice he was at one time.
    Maybe should have retired earlier, but a huge contribution made to his chosen path.

RIP.

given the way TV has gone, and the advent of social media, i don't think we'll ever see his like again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭tylercheribini

Strazdas wrote: »
    He had many a debate which showed the Church in a bad light - the famous Cardinal Daly vs Fr Brian D'Arcy one for example.

Gaybo acted merely as a facilitator there and the power of the church was already well on the wane by then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭Squiggle

and of course the infamous,

"Oh My Darling!
    Oh My Darling!
    Oh My Darling Clementine ..........."

Funny thing is I only remember the LLS under Gaybo's stewardship for some of the dodgy moments like Peter Brooke singing, Annie Murphy and the woman on the phone whose daughter had died.

I was never a great fan but he has a wife, daughters and grandchildren so condolences to them and RIP to him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Adam's swotted Gay and the panel away like flies. It was one of those occasions when Gaybos political and class bias got in the way of his professionalism and he ended up looking like a bitter has-been.

Byrne was strongly anti-paramilitary and his behaviour towards Adams that night reflected what the vast majority of the people in the RoI, the decent majority, thought of Adams & Co. Adams did not swot anything away. The raft of death threats that Gaybo faced in the aftermath showed exactly how much that interview stung Irish paramilitaries. Gerry looked like a lost child wondering why Gaybo wouldn't shake his hand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Woke Hogan

RTE should take this opportunity to release some clips from his Late Late Show tenure. Ireland has changed immeasurably in the fifty-odd years since he started as the presenter (I should know, I lived through most of it!) and opening the Late Late Show's archive would be a wonderful tribute to his career, and how much we have changed as a society.

Instead they'll probably just do a five minute tribute on the television, ask Bono to say a few solemn words and his impact on the country will be forgotten about in about a decade.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Woke Hogan wrote: »
    RTE should take this opportunity to release some clips from his Late Late Show tenure. Ireland has changed immeasurably in the fifty-odd years since he started as the presenter (I should know, I lived through most of it!) and opening the Late Late Show's archive would be a wonderful tribute to his career, and how much we have changed as a society.

Instead they'll probably just do a five minute tribute on the television, ask Bono to say a few solemn words and his impact on the country will be forgotten about in about a decade.
    Seems to be a LLS special tomorrow night after the news.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

???Annie Murphy,

That was bad alright. Letting his personal acquaintance with Casey cloud his judgement. An utterly fascinating clip though. It’s on YouTube for anyone who hasn’t seen it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

eviltwin wrote: »
    He was one of the only broadcasters to discuss Ann Lovetts death [...]
    Following Lovett's horrendous death, he devoted one of his morning radio shows to letters written in by women from around the country who'd been pregnant themselves, and ignored, forgotten, abandoned or condemned.

That program changed the way the country looked at itself and that's something that few enough people manage.

RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 66,973 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

I really enjoyed listening to his jazz shows on Lyric FM, long after he had left RTE. It was very clear that he genuinely loved jazz and his presentation sparkled.

Lyric is RTE. Just saying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

Berserker wrote: »
    Byrne was strongly anti-paramilitary and his behaviour towards Adams that night reflected what the vast majority of the people in the RoI, the decent majority, thought of Adams & Co. Adams did not swot anything away. The raft of death threats that Gaybo faced in the aftermath showed exactly how much that interview stung Irish paramilitaries. Gerry looked like a lost child wondering why Gaybo wouldn't shake his hand.

You must not have watched the interview. Adams made mince meat of them and Gayo ended up looking foolish, as someone already commented Adams had the crowd on his side by the end. I think it showed on Gaybos part a lack of generosity and a failure to see the tide of violence was turning and that peace needed to be made with all sides. Gaybo wanted to continue to marginalise Republicans and keep them out of the political space where peace could be nurtured. I believe that some of Gabos family were British army and he was bitter about how they were treated when they returned to Dublin after their service, he could not keep that bitterness out of that show. It was a pity.

A lunatic could ring up and threaten Gayo, I doubt the provos did. It was probably good for publicity for Gay.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,494 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

you just created a boardsie account just to ejaculate that bile?!!

dear lord.

The term "west Brit" too. Cringe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,292 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Remember when Zig and Zag came on the Late Late a few times, much to Gay's annoyance? They were hilarious.

Advertisement