Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas baking/cooking thread.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Oh I HAVE to make that.

One question. Do I have to share it?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Ah with current illness status, going to buy all my Christmas things. Supervalu has a good array of puddings but the price of the cakes!

My usual trifle I will manage...I make the best trifles ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Mother of God, this looks incredible.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B4hSUP7BIFg/

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Mother of God, this looks incredible.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B4hSUP7BIFg/

The recipe isn't on Lidl website yet so...

125g fresh spinach
    100g cream cheese
    2 garlic cloves chopped
    handful of chopped parsley
    25g parmesean
    Salt & pepper

---mix all the above---

2 sheets of ready made puff pastry cut into tree shape. Spread out mix on one sheet on a baking tray then layer:
    100g caramelised onion chutney
    150g grated mozzarella

200g prosecuitto

Top with the second puff pastry tree, then cut 'branches' about an inch apart horizontally towards the centre leaving an uncut vertical strip of about 2 inches.
    Twist 'branches' and brush the lot with beaten egg

Chuck into an oven for about 25 mins @ 180 degrees.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Loughc wrote: »

Good idea to add the recipes.

Ingredients

1 sheet puff pastry thawed
    2-3 tablespoons cranberry sauce
    200 g Brie cheese sliced
    2 tablespoons pistachio nuts roughly chopped
    1 egg beaten

Instructions

1. Pre-heat the oven to 200ºC/400ºF and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.

2. Roll the pastry out to around 5mm thick and cut a large circle out of the pastry.

3. Lay the pastry on the prepared baking sheet.

4. Mark a circle with a medium-sized bowl and with a sharp knife, cut 4 cuts into the center circle. (As demonstrated in the video.)

5. Spread the cranberry sauce around the center "star" then top with the Brie and pistachios.

6. Bring one point of the center star over the filling as well as bringing the outer edge of pastry inwards. Press the two together and continue until you have a wreath.

7. Brush with beaten egg then place in the oven and allow to bake for 15 minutes until golden brown and cooked through.

8. Remove from the oven, allow to rest for 5 minutes then slice and serve.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Another cake out of the oven. Mrs S was asked to bake one for her sister.

The smell is amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,421 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

I'm very late with my puddings this year! Going to mix them up on Sunday & steam them on Monday!

CheerLouth wrote: »
    I'm very late with my puddings this year! Going to mix them up on Sunday & steam them on Monday!

Did mine yesterday. I wrapped them in cling film to boil. It formed a seal when cooled. Is it ok to leave them like that until needed or should I remove cling film and replace with grease proof paper?

Did mine yesterday. I wrapped them in cling film to boil. It formed a seal when cooled. Is it ok to leave them like that until needed or should I remove cling film and replace with grease proof paper?

Oh I'm not sure at all. I normally boil mine in greaseproof, then wrap in fresh paper for storage.

• Advertisement

Never boiled them except in bowls and then wrapped them. I wouldn't be confident leaving the clingfilm on after boiling.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,192 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Never boiled them except in bowls and then wrapped them. I wouldn't be confident leaving the clingfilm on after boiling.

I think it's something Nigella does!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

Cakes made yesterday- I can’t wait to get into the rest of it!

I wrapped the bowl in cling film. I’m wondering if it forms a sort of vacuum seal when cooling and if it’s ok to leave them alone?

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭xDisneyDivax

How long should you let mincemeat soak for? I left it quite late this year with moving and all stuff! My thinking is that I'd make mince pies soon and pop them in the freezer so all I need to do is pop them in the oven the day I'd like them baked...

I think I just left mine overnight.

I wrapped the bowl in cling film. I’m wondering if it forms a sort of vacuum seal when cooling and if it’s ok to leave them alone?

Oh! They should be taken out of the bowl, as they'll "sweat". Wrap then in greaseproof and then foil.

Unless there's some new thinking on the matter. :)

Have my Christmas puds on since 9am this morning! Have ended up with three as I decided to try a delph bowl this year for steaming one, but the bowl was not as big as my normal one so rather than waste mixture, I'm going to end up with one big one & two small ones :D

Also did a trial Christmas dinner on Saturday. Wasn't planned but we had 12 for dinner so I said I might as well have a go. Tried some new dishes - roasted veg etc that I wouldn't ordinarily do and was pretty happy :)

CheerLouth wrote: »
    Have my Christmas puds on since 9am this morning! Have ended up with three as I decided to try a delph bowl this year for steaming one, but the bowl was not as big as my normal one so rather than waste mixture, I'm going to end up with one big one & two small ones :D

Also did a trial Christmas dinner on Saturday. Wasn't planned but we had 12 for dinner so I said I might as well have a go. Tried some new dishes - roasted veg etc that I wouldn't ordinarily do and was pretty happy :)

Carrots and especially parsnips roast deliciously.. Christmas Day is the one time I roast potatoes and I add carrot and parsnip chunks to that tray.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭chuckles30

Oh! They should be taken out of the bowl, as they'll "sweat". Wrap then in greaseproof and then foil.

Unless there's some new thinking on the matter. :)

Interesting - my mother made them all my life and never took them out of the bowl until they were ready to be eaten. She covered the bowls with greaseproof for cooking and even that was not removed afterwards unless it got damaged. When they were stone cold, she'd wrap the whole lot in a fresh greaseproof and tin foil until Christmas. Then on Christmas Day she'd steam it fresh for about 2 hours to heat it through

• Advertisement

chuckles30 wrote: »
    Interesting - my mother made them all my life and never took them out of the bowl until they were ready to be eaten. She covered the bowls with greaseproof for cooking and even that was not removed afterwards unless it got damaged. When they were stone cold, she'd wrap the whole lot in a fresh greaseproof and tin foil until Christmas. Then on Christmas Day she'd steam it fresh for about 2 hours to heat it through

That was always what I’d done, but this year ran out of greaseproof and used cling film, which expanded during boiling and shrunk down when cooled. It seemed to form a sort of vacuum seal and I was wondering if other cooks had more experience than me and could advise on whether to leave them like that.

Graces7 wrote: »
    Carrots and especially parsnips roast deliciously.. Christmas Day is the one time I roast potatoes and I add carrot and parsnip chunks to that tray.

NB parboil them as you do the potatoes...the small soft outside layer this creates goes deliciously crispy. ;)

NB parboil them as you do the potatoes...the small soft outside layer this creates goes deliciously crispy. ;)

I never parboil the parsnips or carrots but the carrots will need 15 minutes more than the potatoes.

Not a Christmas dish, but.
    My favorite roast veg dish is a mixture of potatoes, onion, garlic, peppers, carrot, parsnips n turnips and celery. Toss in cooking oil and roast for up to an hour. Delicious with roast chicken. Mmmmmm

I never parboil the parsnips or carrots but the carrots will need 15 minutes more than the potatoes.

Not a Christmas dish, but.
    My favorite roast veg dish is a mixture of potatoes, onion, garlic, peppers, carrot, parsnips n turnips and celery. Toss in cooking oil and roast for up to an hour. Delicious with roast chicken. Mmmmmm

No don't parboil parsnips or carrots. Toss them in olive oil and honey and roast on a tray. The potatoes are always parboiled and done separately as they will be in much more oil/fat, take longer, and need basting now and again. The secret is to give the potatoes a good shake in a saucepan before going into the oven. It's the flaked outer layer, as a result, that crisps up so well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

Graces7 - yes I too parboil the carrots then roast in the oven with olive oil and honey some ground pepper delicous

Srameen - I love roast potatoes my other half makes them exactly like yours by the sounds of it, he takes the basting of the roasties seriously and I'm always happy to eat them

• Registered Users Posts: 6,811 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

No don't parboil parsnips or carrots. Toss them in olive oil and honey and roast on a tray. The potatoes are always parboiled and done separately as they will be in much more oil/fat, take longer, and need basting now and again. The secret is to give the potatoes a good shake in a saucepan before going into the oven. It's the flaked outer layer, as a result, that crisps up so well.

When I shake them in the saucepan I add a large tablespoon of semolina- gives them a delicious crunch. Also, I never parboil the carrots.

All roads lead to Rome and there is no one "best way " to cook anything; there really isn't. Just variations, and many delights along the way. Wonderful!

My mother made the best roast potatoes ever so that is how I do them, in her memory … Never had any as good as hers, but mine are pretty close. Simple and best! Love my carrots etc also and cannot take olive oil etc. So very very simple with me. I am a Lancashire lass and our food traditions are strong and simple .

Each chooses … so no dogmatism from me!! Just different delightful nuances! ENJOY! However you do them! :D:D:)

Oh I was just dropping off to sleep when a savoury memory drifted into my mind as these things do!

Has anyone else tried HASSELBACK roast potatoes? I did them for a while and was impressed. Impressive! ( cannot copy paste from here but I know how skilled folk here are..)

They have even more crispy crunch than the traditional ones. Perfect and different for a dinner party... google has wonderful photos..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭tscul32

Oh I was just dropping off to sleep when a savoury memory drifted into my mind as these things do!

Has anyone else tried HASSELBACK roast potatoes? I did them for a while and was impressed. Impressive! ( cannot copy paste from here but I know how skilled folk here are..)

They have even more crispy crunch than the traditional ones. Perfect and different for a dinner party... google has wonderful photos..

They're a bit more effort but they are lovely. For a cheat's version, Lidl or Aldi (or maybe both) are doing bags of frozen Hasselback spuds this Christmas. Might give one a try, just to see...

• Advertisement

tscul32 wrote: »
    They're a bit more effort but they are lovely. For a cheat's version, Lidl or Aldi (or maybe both) are doing bags of frozen Hasselback spuds this Christmas. Might give one a try, just to see...

I am reliably informed that a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese atop is awesome,,;)

Advertisement