Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas baking/cooking thread.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Jude13

What's that Baileys fudge recipe with condensed milk?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Jude13 wrote: »

The head barman at the Dingle Skellig Hotel gave me his very own secret recipe for an Irish cream liqueur at my last ever Craft Fair.... ...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

Is it this one?

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/microwave-boozy-fudge

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,650 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

CheerLouth wrote: »

Yep I’m making this :D

I made the choclate baileys fudge thing yesterday. I will stick up pics tomorrow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭tickingclock

I made the choclate baileys fudge thing yesterday. I will stick up pics tomorrow

Can you buy vanilla bean paste? I've never seen it before. The recipe looks easy and delicious.

I made the version that loghc put up on this thread some time ago, not the one in the link. I used vanilla pods, scrapping our the middle of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Can you buy vanilla bean paste? I've never seen it before. The recipe looks easy and delicious.
    I’ve bought it in Tesco for years so I’d imagine they have it in other supermarkets too.

This is the one I made:
    BAILEYS CHOCOLATE FUDGE

How about something BAILEYS & FUDGY for the weekend.

BAILEYS CHOCOLATE FUDGE
    - SO DELICIOUS.. You have to try it.. just 5 INGREDIENTS!!!!!!!

******RECIPE*****
    600G MILK OR DARK CHOCOLATE - ~ (don’t use cooking choc, I used 5-6 bars of normal Tesco own brand milk chocolate)
    1 x 375g tin condensed milk
    Pinch salt
    1 tsp vanilla extract
    100ml Baileys

Line a 7” square tin with baking paper
    1. Break up the chocolate and melt slowly in a pot, add in the condensed milk and stir gently to melt together.
    2. Add in the vanilla extract, salt and the Baileys and stir to combine.
    3. Pour into prepared tin and leave in the fridge to set for 2 hours. Cut into small pieces

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Alanvtec

Loughc wrote: »

After looking at the link I decided to give this a trail run in preparation for the big day and it tasted as nice as it looks. Quite easy to make coming from a novice like me.
    Will definitely be on the menu

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,424 ✭✭✭scarepanda

Has anyone got any suggestions for a gluten free biscuit for a non bake cheesecake base? The sister in law said she used Tesco own brand gluten free biscuits before and didn't like them.

Would hobnobs hold together? Or is their a branded digestive that's nice? I usually combine the base with some butter so looking to be able to do something similar with the gluten free version

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

I tend to use gingernuts for cheesecake bases - I love the extra zing they give, plus they are a very crisp biccie so they produce a nice firm base. That said, I've never used a gluten-free version of them so those might behave differently to the standard ones . Lidl have them in their usual stock too.

https://www.lidl.ie/en/p/grocery-range-gluten-free/just-free-gluten-free-ginger-cookies/p9037

B0jangles wrote:
    I tend to use gingernuts for cheesecake bases - I love the extra zing they give, plus they are a very crisp biccie so they produce a nice firm base. That said, I've never used a gluten-free version of them so those might behave differently to the standard ones . Lidl have them in their usual stock too.

Thank you! I think I'll do a test run of the gluten free stuff the weekend of the toy show coz I'll be baking stuff for that anyways.

For cookies and the like, can you just swap out regular flour for gluten-free flour? I know you can't really do it for the likes of bread and cakes.

scarepanda wrote: »
    Thank you! I think I'll do a test run of the gluten free stuff the weekend of the toy show coz I'll be baking stuff for that anyways.

For cookies and the like, can you just swap out regular flour for gluten-free flour? I know you can't really do it for the likes of bread and cakes.

I'm sorry, I've no idea - I've wussed out on actual gf baking so far :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

As I said in another thread its been decided we are having 7 for Christmas dinner

Everyone wants to do their bit so some are bringing starters others are bringing desserts

I am just wondering anyone else hosting do you put all the sides of veg carrots parsnips, sprouts, red cabbage, cabbage, roast potatoes in the centre of the table and let everyone help themselves?

I am a fan of pipping hot dinner, I heat my plates before I dish up food, my question is what would you suggest putting the sides in to keep them really hot, preheated oven proof dishes or has anyone use buffet server? any suggestions please thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

SarahLil wrote: »
    I am a fan of pipping hot dinner, I heat my plates before I dish up food, my question is what would you suggest putting the sides in to keep them really hot, preheated oven proof dishes or has anyone use buffet server? any suggestions please thank you

My mother in law uses a buffet server at Christmas and her dinners are always hot. She got hers in Aldi or Lidl and I see that Aldi has Hosting Christmas Dinner Specialbuys from December 12th so you'd probably pick one up there.

My mother in law uses a buffet server at Christmas and her dinners are always hot. She got hers in Aldi or Lidl and I see that Aldi has Hosting Christmas Dinner Specialbuys from December 12th so you'd probably pick one up there.

Thank you Toto
    these are coming into Lidl this week I might pick it up so https://www.lidl.ie/en/p/christmas-decorations/three-tray-buffet-server/p31804

As I said in another thread its been decided we are having 7 for Christmas dinner

Everyone wants to do their bit so some are bringing starters others are bringing desserts

I am just wondering anyone else hosting do you put all the sides of veg carrots parsnips, sprouts, red cabbage, cabbage, roast potatoes in the centre of the table and let everyone help themselves?

I cannot recommend hostess trolleys enough - it's not something you'd use every day but when you need one, it's indespensible. I have no idea how I'd get a Christmas dinner-sized meal on the table without one. It's basically just a heated box - bowls at the top for sides and shelves underneath for main dishes, plates etc., but they somehow manage to keep food stable for hours without either drying out or going mushy. The only thing that you can't really keep in there is roast potatoes or anything else really crispy.
    Our family started using one back in the 70's when my grandmother bought the first and since then every household in the extended family has gotten one.

https://www.adverts.ie/small-kitchen-appliances/hostess-trolley/19072200

You can pick up a very nice second-hand one online for 50-150 quid and they last forever. My parents still have the original 1970's one :)

edit: actually, the one in the link appears to be identical to our old family one - so I can vouch for its extreme longevity
    (also the models with 4 oblong bowls are definitely better than the one with 3 oval bowls.)

I'm not a host, but my preference is to have everything on the table and to be able to help yourself. I hate my plate being dished up for me because you then have no control over what or how much of everything is on your plate.

I've just started the filling for my mince pies. I'll leave the mix overnight and cook slowly Tomorrow. Can't wait for the smell in the kitchen

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Theoldbook

Any suggestions for dessert on Christmas day? We're not big fans of pudding and the kids don't really like things with cream (icecream is fine). Struggling to figure it out!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

scarepanda wrote: »

Yes! I am coeliac and always adapt recipes with few disasters!

Theoldbook wrote: »
    Any suggestions for dessert on Christmas day? We're not big fans of pudding and the kids don't really like things with cream (icecream is fine). Struggling to figure it out!

Trifle with no cream? Jelly & ice cream for the kids & something else for the adults?

• Theoldbook wrote: »

Our Christmas dessert was always vienetta!

Romantica ice cream cake, usually on special offer nearer Christmas in most supermarkets

Lidl/Aldi do some really nice frozen desserts around christmas - maybe a tiramisu or some profiteroles would go down well? I know last year Lidl had a croquembouche that looked pretty amazing. I don't see it one the site this year, but Iceland currently listed on the uk site:

https://www.iceland.co.uk/p/iceland-croquembouche-890g/77263.html

VV Just remembered - Dunnes have a chocolate orange viennetta for only 2 euro at the moment, and Lidl do an own-brand cappucino, and a strawberry one VVV

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,650 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Romantica ice cream cake, usually on special offer nearer Christmas in most supermarkets

This and Viennetta are safe bets and big crowd pleasers.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Chocolate yule log is good for those that like chocolate desserts over Christmas fruity desserts.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

I've a recipe for a cranberry and chocolate roulade that is really nice. The sharp cranberry is a nice balance for all the chocolate ganache.

I do a trifle but use half cream half mascarpone for the topping.

Murphys also have a blog with recipes of their own home-made ice-cream and I made three flavours last year which was amazing. And I've done brown bread ice-cream in a brandy basket. Brandy baskets are a doddle but are nice for a bit of wow factor.

Cheesecake might also be an option?

Neyite wrote: »
    I've a recipe for a cranberry and chocolate roulade that is really nice. The sharp cranberry is a nice balance for all the chocolate ganache.

I do a trifle but use half cream half mascarpone for the topping.

Murphys also have a blog with recipes of their own home-made ice-cream and I made three flavours last year which was amazing. And I've done brown bread ice-cream in a brandy basket. Brandy baskets are a doddle but are nice for a bit of wow factor.

Cheesecake might also be an option?

Can you share the roulade recipe? and link for the ice cream? Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

CheerLouth wrote: »
    Can you share the roulade recipe? and link for the ice cream? Thanks!

Ice Cream. I can personally vouch for the sea salt, butterscotch and dark chocolate chip flavours

Cranberry & Chocolate Roulade.

· 5 eggs
    · 100g caster sugar
    · 60g plain flour
    · 40g cocoa powder
    · 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    · 1 teaspoon chocolate extract
    · Ganache & Decoration:
    · 200g fresh cranberries
    · 75g caster sugar
    · 400g plain chocolate
    · 20g butter
    · 200ml double cream
    · 1 tablespoon bourbon whiskey
    · Chocolate leaves and icing sugar to decorate

Preheat oven to 160c (fan) 180c.
    Line a swiss roll tin with baking paper
    Beat eggs and sugar until thick. Sift over the flour and cocoa and fold in with the vanilla and chocolate extract. Spread in the tin and bake for 12 -14 mins. Turn onto baking paper sprinkled with sugar. Cool then roll up in the paper.
    Half the berries and put the berries sugar and two tablespoons of water in a pan and cook for 7-10 mins. Cool.
    Put the chopped chocolate and butter in a bowl. Heat two- thirds of the cream in a pan until almost boiling. Pour over the chocolate and butter and leave for 5 minutes. Add burbon and whisk until light. Adjust the consistency with a little more cream if necessary. Set aside a third of the ganache mix for the frosting. adjust the rest of the ganache with a little more cream for a spreadable consistency.
    Unroll the sponge, spread with creamy ganache, Spoon over the cranberries and re roll. Ice the roulade with the ganache frosting and decorate with chocolate holly leaves and a dusting of icing sugar.

Edit - I omitted the chocolate extract as I hadn't any. It's VERY chocolaty regardless so I can't say that it was missed.

Advertisement