Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas baking/cooking thread.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Another few pounds of Mincemeat being made as I type. I always add brandy, although none of Mrs S's recipes call for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,422 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

Neyite wrote: »
    Ice Cream. I can personally vouch for the sea salt, butterscotch and dark chocolate chip flavours

Thanks for those! I don't have an ice cream machine - do you think it will still work out ok?

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

CheerLouth wrote: »
    Thanks for those! I don't have an ice cream machine - do you think it will still work out ok?

I think so. You can stir it every hour or so manually and it should be ok. That's how I did my brown bread icecream before I got the ice cream maker (which is a cheapo lidl one)

Portion wise, I got 8 scoops out of each recipe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Theoldbook

Thanks for all.the suggestions!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭tscul32

Had the last pudding to make this morning (already have 5 small ones done), a half mix for a small dairy free one. Delighted I was going to be finished with cakes (5), mincemeat and puds. Went through the whole thing, half of everything, until the very end where I added the full amount of orange and lemon juice, which I only realised when it looked too wet. Debated going to get more ingredients to bring it up to the full mix cos I hate waste, when I realised I'd also made it with butter instead of stork!! Into the bin it went. And I'm still not done. Can't even do it now cos I've kids over for a birthday party in a few minutes.
    Ok, rant over, Happy Christmas 🎄

• Advertisement

tscul32 wrote: »
    Had the last pudding to make this morning (already have 5 small ones done), a half mix for a small dairy free one. Delighted I was going to be finished with cakes (5), mincemeat and puds. Went through the whole thing, half of everything, until the very end where I added the full amount of orange and lemon juice, which I only realised when it looked too wet. Debated going to get more ingredients to bring it up to the full mix cos I hate waste, when I realised I'd also made it with butter instead of stork!! Into the bin it went. And I'm still not done. Can't even do it now cos I've kids over for a birthday party in a few minutes.
    Ok, rant over, Happy Christmas ��

If this happens again, let pudding sit for a few hours and the fruit should soak up some of the liquid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭tscul32

If this happens again, let pudding sit for a few hours and the fruit should soak up some of the liquid.

Thanks, but it was too much really. I already leave them for 24hrs before cooking to soak up the liquid and they're perfect. And i really didn't have any use for more puddings, I don't even eat them. Just annoyed at myself.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

lOhBdpG.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,440 ✭✭✭scarepanda

Heavy cream, is that the same as double cream?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

scarepanda wrote: »
    Heavy cream, is that the same as double cream?

Yes indeedy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

Loughc wrote: »
    lOhBdpG.jpg

Oh I want some now. Only hot choc drinker in the house. It could be dangerous leaving all that to me. Is it any good the day after?

Postgrad10 wrote: »
    Oh I want some now. Only hot choc drinker in the house. It could be dangerous leaving all that to me. Is it any good the day after?

Yes you can reheat it.

You just need to make sure you don't bring it to a boil. For that reason, I recommend reheating it on the stovetop until it's hot and steamy (but not boiling), instead of using the microwave where it's harder to control the heat.

Guys, anyone here know anywhere in Athlone or Galway (or anywhere in between) that has mini spring form tins in stock that also don't cost an arm and a leg? I need them by Friday, preferably to get tomorrow.

Homestore? or Tesco?

CheerLouth wrote:
    Homestore? or Tesco?

Homestore only have them in stock in Longford. Tesco in Athlone and ballinasloe don't have them either. Im going to work it a different way now by trying them in silicon bun moulds. It's only to do a test on a cheesecake coz I've to make a gluten free one this year.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

I was all set to make gingerbread this weekend but I've just realised that they don't sell golden syrup or treacle in Canada :(

Canadian recipes all seem to use molasses instead - has anyone ever made gingerbread with molasses? Does it taste as good? Or should I just resign myself to no homemade gingerbread this year?

Scarinae wrote: »
    I was all set to make gingerbread this weekend but I've just realised that they don't sell golden syrup or treacle in Canada :(

Canadian recipes all seem to use molasses instead - has anyone ever made gingerbread with molasses? Does it taste as good? Or should I just resign myself to no homemade gingerbread this year?

Molasses would be fine. Let us know how you get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭xDisneyDivax

Just finished making final batch of mince pies for the freezer- decided to use up all of foil tin cases and was shocked to see I made 100 mince pies! Some presents sorted now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,603 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Scarinae wrote: »

Many of the classic European gingerbread recipes were originally made with honey - new sweet honey or old dark honey, or a mixture.

You can almost always substitute molasses for treacle, and honey for golden syrup.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

Practicing my Christmas cupcake designs. Nice light fluffy cupcakes today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,194 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Practicing my Christmas cupcake designs. Nice light fluffy cupcakes today.

I like the look of these.
    I look festive and most importantly the bun looks decent. Often all you get is loads of butter cream on top of a poor quality queen cake.

Often all you get is loads of butter cream on top of a poor quality queen cake.

Or worse, a shop bought one :(

• Registered Users Posts: 44 newmem

Hi

First attempt ever at baking a christmas cake. Am quite happy with how it turned out. Hopefully it tastes ok. Might have another go now that this one looks ok:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

Looks great to me.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭conor_ie

I'm going to attempt mince pies next week..

conor_ie wrote: »
    I'm going to attempt mince pies next week..

The pastry is the most important thing. I always use suet or frytex.

If you can get actual lard (its hard to find, I admit) then it gives the flakiest result;
    I mix lard and butter, half-and-half, if I can manage it, for crisp, tender, flaky pastry.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,194 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

200 grams of ground almonds are €1.22 at Supervalu for those who maybe making marzipan.
    The shamrock stuff is expensive.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭conor_ie

I usually use the tesco equivalent of stork but I'll keep an eye out for the frytex!

• Advertisement

May have made too many.
    The pastry is a mixture of lard/butter/and Cookeen
    The mincemeat was home-made to my own recipe.

Advertisement