Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon moves to lottery entries!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Your response was very predictable, and inevitable.

I am talking about the people who are managing IT systems and payments. They are not volunteers. It was very obvious who I was referring to, not the folk on the ground.

By the way, I never ever said “fleecing it”, I said people were making good money from it, they are.

Here's a predictable response. You're making this stuff up off the top of your head right?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

Singer wrote: »
    Here's a predictable response. You're making this stuff up off the top of your head right?

Making up what exactly? My suggestion that people are profiting from the Event? Nobody is making money from the marathon?

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭KSU

Making up what exactly? My suggestion that people are profiting from the Event? Nobody is making money from the marathon?

Plenty are. The council are making close to have a half million in road closures. Garda are making plenty in overtime, t shirt company making their cut, insurance company taking their piece of the pie, clubs are making there but for supplying volunteers , plenty of athletes getting Prize money, RDS getting their fair share for hall rental.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭roarlad

I love the strawman argument, whereby because we are critising those organising the marathon it suddenly conflates to critising Joe Bloggs who marshalls a 5k race in Sligo etc. week in and week out.

Those at the top of DCM have displayed consistent ineptitude and nepotism in their "management" of the race, while pocketing the profits.

They lie, hide, change their minds with the wind and show no accountability for their actions.

As for the current farcical situation we've ended up in currently, it was completely predictable. As others have said, their will be limited to no available via lottery.

Hopefully at some stage we get a clean out at the top...

There are a small number of for-profit organisations involved in the marathon. By "making up" I mean that you have zero insight in to the actual expenses of the Dublin City Marathon and are basing your opinion off a bunch of speculative ideas that only exist in your brain, similar to my moon race idea

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,420 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

roarlad wrote: »
    I love the strawman argument, whereby because we are critising those organising the marathon it suddenly conflates to critising Joe Bloggs who marshalls a 5k race in Sligo etc. week in and week out.

Those at the top of DCM have displayed consistent ineptitude and nepotism in their "management" of the race, while pocketing the profits.

They lie, hide, change their minds with the wind and show no accountability for their actions.

As for the current farcical situation we've ended up in currently, it was completely predictable. As others have said, their will be limited to no available via lottery.

Your comments look libelous to me. But even if they were true, who would do the ‘cleaning’? The company that owns the Marathon is a not-for-profit with three or four directors and four employees. It’s not like there are thousands of shareholders who can vote them out at the AGM.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Ceepo

roarlad wrote: »

I sincerely hope that you are going to put your name forward for a position in an attempt to put an end to the ineptitude and nepotism that you feel is going on...

KSU wrote: »
    Plenty are. The council are making close to have a half million in road closures. Garda are making plenty in overtime, t shirt company making their cut, insurance company taking their piece of the pie, clubs are making there but for supplying volunteers , plenty of athletes getting Prize money, RDS getting their fair share for hall rental.

They're all paid money for sure, but hardly unjustified and there's no evidence of excessive profit taking. DCM relies on a huge amount of goodwill from many sources.

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭KSU

They're all paid money for sure, but hardly unjustified and there's no evidence of excessive profit taking. DCM relies on a huge amount of goodwill from many sources.

Sorry my point was that when all is said and done and all costs taken into account there isn’t a whole lot of money that isn’t accounted for in costs and overheads.

Scrooge McDuck Jim Aughney is not as a result of his huge efforts put into the race

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭grimbergen

event wrote: »
    A bit?

It's a marathon ffs. You'd swear this was the only marathon in Ireland next year. No one has died yet the posts here and on social media over last week have been disgraceful at times, an absolute joke.

Absolutely a 1st World problem. Boo boo, I can't get in to a marathon next year.

Go run Galway Bay, longford, Cork, Belfast, connemara, limerick, Waterford, Derry.

Go contact MCI and run of the great events they put on all year round.

It's just a race.

I logged in just to like this. The sense of entitlement and instant outrage that some people have will never cease to amaze me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Ceepo

grimbergen wrote: »
    I logged in just to like this. The sense of entitlement and instant outrage that some people have will never cease to amaze me.

^^^^ THIS^^^

There are a small number of for-profit organisations involved in the marathon. By "making up" I mean that you have zero insight in to the actual expenses of the Dublin City Marathon and are basing your opinion off a bunch of speculative ideas that only exist in your brain, similar to my moon race idea

What are the small number of for profit organisations? And what are the actual expenses? I’m assuming you have these figures and details otherwise it is assumptions or “making up” as you describe it....or in fact you agree people do in fact make money form this and a certain standard of customer service should be delivered i.e. not pissing off on the opening day of sales with mixed messages sent out about things are communicated .
    Your moon race thing might’ve sound funny or witty in your head, not the best in fairness.

KSU wrote: »
    Sorry my point was that when all is said and done and all costs taken into account there isn’t a whole lot of money that isn’t accounted for in costs and overheads.

Scrooge McDuck Jim Aughney is not as a result of his huge efforts out into the race

Definitely agree here. It would be pretty cool if the organising committee of DCM were all millionaires by now, however the reality is that it barely survives from year to year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

There were 34,500 unique names from those who ran (does not include non-runners) in 2017-2019. Of these names there is about 5% of entrants who share a name with somebody else who ran. There's also a fair few thousand non-entrants not included in this. There'll be a few missed here in that it needs to be an exact match, but by and large there's not too many typo's.

So with that in mind it's reasonable to assume that there was in the region of 40,000 emails sent out. Of these a lot of them were probably international and unlikely to do again. I'd say it will run close to filling up from past entrants alone though. My guess would be about 15,000 will take up their spot over the 72 hours but that's just a guess.

What are the small number of for profit organisations? And what are the actual expenses? I’m assuming you have these figures and details otherwise it is assumptions or “making up” as you describe it....or in fact you agree people do in fact make money form this and a certain standard of customer service should be delivered i.e. not pissing off on the opening day of sales with mixed messages sent out about things are communicated .
    Your moon race thing might’ve sound funny or witty in your head, not the best in fairness.

I am not making extraordinary claims about DCM like you are. I believe that it is a largely volunteer driven event based off sources such as the recent book about the marathon and brief interactions with members of the organising committee on boards, local parkrun Whatsapps, and media such as the Running Bean podcast. Did they get the registration for 2020 right? Not at all. However, none of this means that you have any idea what you're talking about.

I am not making extraordinary claims about DCM like you are. I believe that it is a largely volunteer driven event based off sources such as the recent book about the marathon and brief interactions with members of the organising committee on boards, local parkrun Whatsapps, and media such as the Running Bean podcast. Did they get the registration for 2020 right? Not at all. However, none of this means that you have any idea what you're talking about.

You are terribly naive.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

You are terribly naive.

What are you basing this on?

skyblue46 wrote: »
    What are you basing this on?

Common sense

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Common sense

Forgive me but I'm missing it too...now you may be Jim Aughney in disguise coming on here to salve your soul or you might be some **** stirrer who never posted in this forum until the opportunity to throw muck arose, I really don't know. But if you have something to back up your comments I'd be delighted to hear it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭donnacha

Both my wife and I got emailed 2 unique codes today. We both ran DCM in 2019 and the last previous time was 2016.

• Advertisement

Common sense

Ah well, I admit defeat to those two words. You clearly have access to the accounting records of DCM and can apply common sense in a way that I am sorely lacking at. Fools like me believe that it is a barely cost achieving event run entirely by volunteers. Out of interest, given how deep you are into this thread, do you have any actual information to share about how the Dublin City Marathon is run, or are you just making a bunch of stuff up in your head?

Ah well, I admit defeat to those two words. You clearly have access to the accounting records of DCM and can apply common sense in a way that I am sorely lacking at. Fools like me believe that it is a barely cost achieving event run entirely by volunteers. Out of interest, given how deep you are into this thread, do you have any actual information to share about how the Dublin City Marathon is run, or are you just making a bunch of stuff up in your head?

Isn’t it just as worthwhile for me to ask you for figures in defence of all your ‘barely cost achieving event run entirely by volunteers’? without including the unnecessary insults of “just making a bunch of stuff up in your head”....we’ve the exact same argument going on with neither of us providing any actual evidence. My premise is very basic, that any mass event is primarily money driven and will make profit or it will not exist, that’s basically it. I think that’s a fairly reasonable assumption and I am doing it with having to insult you. Anyway goodnight, we’ll see how the next few days pan out, as I said I suspect it will be a mismanaged **** show.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,849 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

For those who think the marathon is making loads of cash each year or that the 2020 entry process is just to make more money, who do they think is getting the cash? There seems to be an acceptance that the event is mainly volunteer driven who don’t get paid. So where is the “profit” going, is the belief that Jim Aughney And the top mgt team are igetting paid a large salary?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

I think Jim Corr needs to be contacted at this juncture.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,420 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Isn’t it just as worthwhile for me to ask you for figures in defence of all your ‘barely cost achieving event run entirely by volunteers’? without including the unnecessary insults of “just making a bunch of stuff up in your head”....we’ve the exact same argument going on with neither of us providing any actual evidence. My premise is very basic, that any mass event is primarily money driven and will make profit or it will not exist, that’s basically it. I think that’s a fairly reasonable assumption and I am doing it with having to insult you. Anyway goodnight, we’ll see how the next few days pan out, as I said I suspect it will be a mismanaged **** show.

New York Marathon, Boston Marathon, even the London marathon are not-for-profits. Profit? It depends what you mean. Yes, they generate a surplus, but that is not ‘pocketed’ by the top brass, it’s redistributed according to the aims of the generally charitable organisations owning the races. This information is all readily available. There is no reason I know of to suspect that Dublin is profit driven. Anyone with access to corporate databases can get their annual filings with the CRO, abridged accounts etc. If there were a bunch of people at the top living large off the surplus (if there even is a surplus) they would soon find themselves in difficulty recruiting the thousands of volunteers needed to actually stage the event. And so would those other, much larger, events listed above.

Whatever about how Dublin Marathon has handled the events of the past week - and no one could argue that they haven’t acted a little unpredictably - to jump from that to the kind of statements made above and in your other posts is simply irrational.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

And, the likes of London and New York have big offices with lots of people working on the event all year round, not 1 person in an office and a load of volunteers.

Murph_D wrote: »
    New York Marathon, Boston Marathon, even the London marathon are not-for-profits. Profit? It depends what you mean. Yes, they generate a surplus, but that is not ‘pocketed’ by the top brass, it’s redistributed according to the aims of the generally charitable organisations owning the races. This information is all readily available. There is no reason I know of to suspect that Dublin is profit driven. Anyone with access to corporate databases can get their annual filings with the CRO, abridged accounts etc. If there were a bunch of people at the top living large off the surplus (if there even is a surplus) they would soon find themselves in difficulty recruiting the thousands of volunteers needed to actually stage the event. And so would those other, much larger, events listed above.

Whatever about how Dublin Marathon has handled the events of the past week - and no one could argue that they haven’t acted a little unpredictably - to jump from that to the kind of statements made above and in your other posts is simply irrational.

The absolute bollocks over reaction to the fact that I suggested that some people may actually be profiting/making money from the marathon is a joke.

I have mentioned ‘contractors’ I.e. some people profit from this and not the devoted poor soul huddled by a burning candle trying to handle all social media and payments.

Two last very obvious comments:

- There are hugely devoted volunteers who give a lot of time to the marathon set up for nothing.

- There are people employed to provide certain services of the marathon and are paid handsomely for it. These people should be the ones that orchestrate payment systems and proper distribution of places.

Does anyone work and make money from this marathon? Therefore it should be properly organised?

Small bit of information which may come as a surprise to a lot of people here:

Not for profit - this does not equate not getting paid...

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭jamule

The absolute bollocks over reaction to the fact that I suggested that some people may actually be profiting/making money from the marathon is a joke.

I have mentioned ‘contractors’ I.e. some people profit from this and not the devoted poor soul huddled by a burning candle trying to handle all social media and payments.

- There are hugely devoted volunteers who give a lot of time to the marathon set up for nothing.

- There are people employed to provide certain services of the marathon and are paid handsomely for it. These people should be the ones that orchestrate payment systems and proper distribution of places.

Does anyone work and make money from this marathon? Therefore it should be properly organised?

so they buy in essential services and these suppliers make money out of it. fook me i thought they all done it for free. wow.

so they need to get rid of timing, tshirts, medals, toilets, barriers, the rds etc etc. maybe people should just turn up and run.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

You should definitely donate your time to sort all this out, I look forward to significant improvements once you get involved sometime early next week.

• Advertisement

jamule wrote: »
    so they buy in essential services and these suppliers make money out of it. fook me i thought they all done it for free. wow.

so they need to get rid of timing, tshirts, medals, toilets, barriers, the rds etc etc. maybe people should just turn up and run.
    adrian522 wrote: »
    You should definitely donate your time to sort all this out, I look forward to significant improvements once you get involved sometime early next week.

two totally irrelevant posts. both again patronising.

do certain personnel make money from the marathon and therefore it should be ensure it decent administrative levels should be provided to paying customers? yes.

are there very good dedicated volunteer staff that get paid nothing and provide quality service? yes.

I'm getting a headache repeating myself.

Advertisement